Some people still believe Earth is flat. Wtf?

Strelky

There was a flat earth society chapter at the army base I was at in germany, however all of them I knew openly mocked and humiliated anyone trying to join who took it seriously, and it was really just a drinking club.

But yeah, some idiots do believe it, reminds me of once in elementry school during a field trip to a museum to see dinosaur fossils a kid got hysterical because he was raised to believe dinosaurs were fake, and I'd spent the whole trip calling his parents stupid

Even funnier was I got in trouble over it and told to write a brief essay on why I was sorry, my report was just a copy of the dictionary definition of stupid, and the principal accepted that in lieu of an apology.

Some people believe the entire roman period is an invention of renaissance people to sell their revolutionary anti-christian ideas.

Some people believe the entire dark age is an invention of later medieval kings in order to look more important.

People believe in a lot of nonsense.

Inventing the flat earth

Origin

I am still amazed at where it first appears. No one before the 1830s believed that medieval people thought that the earth was flat. The idea was established, almost contemporaneously, by a Frenchman and an American, between whom I have not been able to establish a connection, though they were both in Paris at the same time. One was Antoine-Jean Letronne (1787-1848), an academic of strong antireligious prejudices who had studied both geography and patristics and who cleverly drew upon both to misrepresent the church fathers and their medieval successors as believing in a flat earth, in his On the Cosmographical Ideas of the Church Fathers (1834).

The American was no other than our beloved storyteller Washington Irving (1783-1859), who loved to write historical fiction under the guise of history. His misrepresentations of the history of early New York City and of the life of Washington were topped by his history of Christopher Columbus (1828). It was he who invented the indelible picture of the young Columbus, a "simple mariner," appearing before a dark crowd of benighted inquisitors and hooded theologians at a council of Salamanca, all of whom believed, according to Irving, that the earth was flat like a plate. Well, yes, there was a meeting at Salamanca in 1491, but Irving's version of it, to quote a distinguished modern historian of Columbus, was "pure moonshine. Washington Irving, scenting his opportunity for a picturesque and moving scene," created a fictitious account of this "nonexistent university council" and "let his imagination go completely...the whole story is misleading and mischievous nonsense."

But now, why did the false accounts of Letronne and Irving become melded and then, as early as the 1860s, begin to be served up in schools and in schoolbooks as the solemn truth? The answer is that the falsehood about the spherical earth became a colorful and unforgettable part of a larger falsehood: the falsehood of the eternal war between science (good) and religion (bad) throughout Western history.

This vast web of falsehood was invented and propagated by the influential historian John Draper (1811-1882) and many prestigious followers, such as Andrew Dickson White (1832-1918), the president of Cornell University, who made sure that the false account was perpetrated in texts, encyclopedias, and even allegedly serious scholarship, down to the present day. A lively current version of the lie can be found in Daniel Boorstin's The Discoverers, found in any bookshop or library.

The reason for promoting both the specific lie about the sphericity of the earth and the general lie that religion and science are in natural and eternal conflict in Western society, is to defend Darwinism. The answer is really only slightly more complicated than that bald statement. The flat-earth lie was ammunition against the creationists. The argument was simple and powerful, if not elegant: "Look how stupid these Christians are. They are always getting in the way of science and progress. These people who deny evolution today are exactly the same sort of people as those idiots who for at least a thousand years denied that the earth was round. How stupid can you get?"

But that is not the truth.

Short version a lie was created, and has been kept live thanks in part to media; as well as individuals themselves.

History is not what is written, but in truth created from either a truth; or one desired to be hidden.

Regarding the magic man behind the curtain, for until one pulls off their own blinders the lie will always bind them.

Inventing the flat earth

Origin

I am still amazed at where it first appears. No one before the 1830s believed that medieval people thought that the earth was flat. The idea was established' date=' almost contemporaneously, by a Frenchman and an American, between whom I have not been able to establish a connection, though they were both in Paris at the same time. One was Antoine-Jean Letronne (1787-1848), an academic of strong antireligious prejudices who had studied both geography and patristics and who cleverly drew upon both to misrepresent the church fathers and their medieval successors as believing in a flat earth, in his On the Cosmographical Ideas of the Church Fathers (1834).

The American was no other than our beloved storyteller Washington Irving (1783-1859), who loved to write historical fiction under the guise of history. His misrepresentations of the history of early New York City and of the life of Washington were topped by his history of Christopher Columbus (1828). It was he who invented the indelible picture of the young Columbus, a "simple mariner," appearing before a dark crowd of benighted inquisitors and hooded theologians at a council of Salamanca, all of whom believed, according to Irving, that the earth was flat like a plate. Well, yes, there was a meeting at Salamanca in 1491, but Irving's version of it, to quote a distinguished modern historian of Columbus, was "pure moonshine. Washington Irving, scenting his opportunity for a picturesque and moving scene," created a fictitious account of this "nonexistent university council" and "let his imagination go completely...the whole story is misleading and mischievous nonsense."

But now, why did the false accounts of Letronne and Irving become melded and then, as early as the 1860s, begin to be served up in schools and in schoolbooks as the solemn truth? The answer is that the falsehood about the spherical earth became a colorful and unforgettable part of a larger falsehood: the falsehood of the eternal war between science (good) and religion (bad) throughout Western history.

This vast web of falsehood was invented and propagated by the influential historian John Draper (1811-1882) and many prestigious followers, such as Andrew Dickson White (1832-1918), the president of Cornell University, who made sure that the false account was perpetrated in texts, encyclopedias, and even allegedly serious scholarship, down to the present day. A lively current version of the lie can be found in Daniel Boorstin's The Discoverers, found in any bookshop or library.

The reason for promoting both the specific lie about the sphericity of the earth and the general lie that religion and science are in natural and eternal conflict in Western society, is to defend Darwinism. The answer is really only slightly more complicated than that bald statement. The flat-earth lie was ammunition against the creationists. The argument was simple and powerful, if not elegant: "Look how stupid these Christians are. They are always getting in the way of science and progress. These people who deny evolution today are exactly the same sort of people as those idiots who for at least a thousand years denied that the earth was round. How stupid can you get?"

But that is not the truth.[/quote']

Short version a lie was created, and has been kept live thanks in part to media; as well as individuals themselves.

History is not what is written, but in truth created from either a truth; or one desired to be hidden.

Regarding the magic man behind the curtain, for until one pulls off their own blinders the lie will always bind them.

Pretty much this. Most teachers I know still believe the lie and teach it because it's easier. I've known the whole "people believed the earth was flat" thing was a lie and teach my students the same. A flat earth society would have been looked upon with the same scorn as today. The main opposition to Colombus' trek across the Atlantic was a political one.

And while we're on the subject of Christopher Colombus, did you know he was so cruel to the native Americans, as well as his own colonists, he was deported back to Spain and thrown in jail? They basically kicked him out of America for being a torturous, genocidal monster. Not exactly the visionary they teach you about in schools, eh?

Nope' date=' earth is actually hollow. Half of what we know as "surface" is actually [i']inside[/i]. We just don't notice it because the transition isn't abrupt but a wide curve, just as we don't notice that earth is a (hollow) sphere.

I wasn't joking that earth has no dimensions, as it really is virtual construct. I'm trying to spread awareness about true nature of our reality here. Many worlds theory is self-contradicting babble, string theory is pseudo-scientific mainstream product. The only coherent explanation of quantum mechanics is zero worlds theory (virtual reality theory). If you disagree, could you present alternative, coherent to experimental evidence, explanation for quantum erasion and quantum entanglement phenomena?

I wasn't joking that earth has no dimensions' date=' as it really is virtual construct. I'm trying to spread awareness about true nature of our reality here. Many worlds theory is self-contradicting babble, string theory is pseudo-scientific mainstream product. The only coherent explanation of quantum mechanics is zero worlds theory (virtual reality theory). If you disagree, could you present alternative, coherent to experimental evidence, explanation for quantum erasion and quantum entanglement phenomena?

[/quote']

Yeah! Everybody! Let's cast off our pre-conceived notions based on what we see, feel, and know and have seen, felt, and known since the day we were born unto today and come to the realization that existence does not exist! :rolleyes:

I don't have the answers, nor would I claim to. But virtual reality is easily disproven based on the four dimensions I have been able to perceive my entire life (counting Time as the 4th dimension.)

I wasn't joking that earth has no dimensions' date=' as it really is virtual construct. I'm trying to spread awareness about true nature of our reality here. Many worlds theory is self-contradicting babble, string theory is pseudo-scientific mainstream product. The only coherent explanation of quantum mechanics is zero worlds theory (virtual reality theory). If you disagree, could you present alternative, coherent to experimental evidence, explanation for quantum erasion and quantum entanglement phenomena?

[/quote']

Yeah! Everybody! Let's cast off our pre-conceived notions based on what we see, feel, and know and have seen, felt, and known since the day we were born unto today and come to the realization that existence does not exist! :rolleyes:

I don't have the answers, nor would I claim to. But virtual reality is easily disproven based on the four dimensions I have been able to perceive my entire life (counting Time as the 4th dimension.)

It's not about rejecting experience but considering experience together with availible scientific evidence. The problem is that you are not even curious enough to investigate the subject. You're content with your ignorance. The existance exist; it could not exist if physical reality was not a virtual simulation. Why is knowledge that our reality is a simulation important? Because it points out to perspective of what would be considered impossible in objective, deterministic reality. Quantum computations that are manufacturing our reality are not based on real(classical) numbers, they're based on complex(probable) numbers; math (logic) can be used in this perspective to describe subjective reality directed/guided by consciousness.

If you don't have understanding, you're helpless against opinions of others (this is how religions have come to existance) or illusions of you brain; earth indeed looks like it is flat, unless you're on the shore of the ocean/big lake.

By the way, there is no time (your 4th dimension) it just does not exist. There is no time, there is just process (computations) on data/energy. Classical concept of time has been experimentally disproved (quantum eraser). Quantum time is something different as it describes processing moments of quantum collapse by brain which uses it to create "feel" of time.

Archived