Should I quit gaming?

Guest jb28147

Guest jb28147

Because I don't really enjoyed it anymore.

My Reasons Why:

1) Cost - Spending $50-$60 on a game and not getting 50-60 dollars out of the game.

2) Glitches - Having to start over because of a unexpected gamebreaking bug.

3) Graphics over Gameplay - Because making the game look good, doesn't mean cutting all the gameplay out.

4) DLC - Getting only half a game and the other half you have to pay for.

5) On-Disc DLC - Having to pay for content always on the disc.

6) Piracy - Pirates steal the games, and the paying customer is punished for it by reason #7.

7) DRM - Forcing people to install unwanted software to play for a game they pay for.

8) Multiplayer Bias - Ruining single player content to focus on multiplayer.

9) Online Only - For being forced to have a reliable internet connection.

10) Corruption - For ruining Bioware and Mass Effect 3.

11) Community - For being called a console peasant, because you prefer console over pc.

12) Lack of Variety - Because some people want RPG and Simulation games, not CoD and Battlefield.

13) Activists - Because playing video games makes you a violent person for whatever stupid reasons.

A lot of these you can change!

My Reasons Why:

1) Cost - Spending $50-$60 on a game and not getting 50-60 dollars out of the game.

I rarely RARELY buy games at $50' date=' $60 a pop. Either just be patient or buy games you know you're really going to like.

Does this happen that often to you?

3) Graphics over Gameplay - Because making the game look good' date=' doesn't mean cutting all the gameplay out.

[/quote']

Again, be selective of what you buy. Check out new releases on youtube and see if its your kind of game. There's plenty of unique stuff out there among the crap.

Big DLC pusher like Capcom suck' date=' but it's not everywhere. Fortunately a lot of DLC is stuff like costumes which you don't even need when it comes down to it.

6) Piracy - Pirates steal the games, and the paying customer is punished for it by reason #7.

7) DRM - Forcing people to install unwanted software to play for a game they pay for.

DRM sucks big time and is a reason I don't buy a lot of PC games anymore. But DRM is almost non-existant on consoles/handhelds.

I don't know of a lot of games that do this. I know games like CoD are really built for multiplayer' date=' but I can't think of any game that had the SP ruined due to MP...

As mentioned before, I don't do a lot of PC gaming. Maybe stick to console stuff?

I don't really get this one. TBH I think you're listening to too many bad...

11) Community - For being called a console peasant' date=' because you prefer console over pc.

[/quote']

...communities. Trolling and crap spewing is nearly a part of every gaming community, I've even seen it here. If it gets you frustrated try finding a different community or just stop going to them, it's not worth the frustration.

12) Lack of Variety - Because some people want RPG and Simulation games' date=' not CoD and Battlefield.

[/quote']

There I disagree, there's pleeeenty of great games that aren't rpgs or shooters.

13) Activists - Because playing video games makes you a violent person for whatever stupid reasons.

You're gonna let other people tell you what you should/shouldn't enjoy? :-/

Honestly it sounds like you're just burnt out. If you're not enjoying games anymore, move onto a different hobby for awhile. Personally, I like games, movies and books. I usually obsess over one a time. I'll go on a game kick for a couple months and get bored, then buy nothing but movies for a couple months. But I still love games and end up going back when something really appealing to me comes out, like a new sequel to a favorite franchise. I only buy like 3-5 new games per year. Only stuff I know I'll really get into.

If you don't enjoy it then you definitely should quit.

If you do enjoy it then just do a bit more research on the games you buy and don't ever buy a new release. Wait for the "real" reviews to come in via the actual gamers, instead of the paid reviews that give everything a 9 or 10 (while they collect their checks via site advertising).

As to what "other people think"...who the hell cares what they think! Live your life for you and pay them no mind.

I don't really get this one. TBH I think you're listening to too many bad...

No, this one is very true. They F'd it up so badly that the fan outrage forced them to release an extended edition to fix it (for free no less). It didn't actually fix it, but it was at least an attempt. The good news is that using the extended edition fans were able to make a decent ending for the game as a free mod: http://social.bioware.com/project/8587/#files

Guest jb28147

If you don't enjoy it then you definitely should quit.

If you do enjoy it then just do a bit more research on the games you buy and don't ever buy a new release. Wait for the "real" reviews to come in via the actual gamers' date=' instead of the paid reviews that give everything a 9 or 10 (while they collect their checks via site advertising).

As to what "other people think"...who the hell cares what they think! Live your life for you and pay them no mind.

[/quote']

To be honest, I just wish they stop trying to blame the video games.

Number 11 comes from GameFAQS, because there is always a war between the console and the pc at that site, and you can never get a honest review from them.

Spending your time and money to other thing like for sport, family, small entrepreneurship, career training, love and study is always a good idea.

People gain nothing when they spent the life on video games, other than ambidextrous masturbation.

To be honest' date=' I just wish they stop trying to blame the video games.

[/quote']

Not going to happen so it is best to just tune it out. Remember that prior to using video games as a scape goat for all of societies ills, they were blaming rock music. Lazy idiots will always blame others for their own shortcomings. It is just one of the sad facts of life.

Number 11 comes from GameFAQS' date=' because there is always a war between the console and the pc at that site, and you can never get a honest review from them.

[/quote']

That whole site is little more than a spam fest. Your better off going to metacritic and reading fan reviews. Yea, it can be a bit tiring to sort through the trolls, but just look for the long and detailed reviews that typically are mid range numbers and you will get better info. You can generally get decent reviews from smaller sites like this one. Most here are generally biased about consoles, since we are mostly a modding community and modding is mostly limited to the PC, but we don't light folks on fire for using consoles. Maybe we might snicker a bit, but no burnings at the stake here. :P

Guest jb28147

I just wonder what would happen if BioWare wasn't bought by EA and was still with Microsoft? Would Mass Effect 2 and 3 had been better?

Because of EA, I'm not looking forward to Mass Effect 4, especially of what happened to Mass Effect 3.

Bioware was not with microsoft. They were an independently owned company. While EA did purchase them during the production of ME2, it didn't effect the game itself as they were too far into it for EA to mess with things. Now ME3.... that is where the EA'ness happened.

ME4...? That one is something I will just have to see fan reviews before I buy it, same as DA3. I won't be pre-ordering any more titles from Bioware.

Guest jb28147

Bioware was not with microsoft. They were an independently owned company. While EA did purchase them during the production of ME2' date=' it didn't effect the game itself as they were too far into it for EA to mess with things. Now ME3.... that is where the EA'ness happened.

ME4...? That one is something I will just have to see fan reviews before I buy it, same as DA3. I won't be pre-ordering any more titles from Bioware.

[/quote']

Oops, I thought they were with Microsoft.

Mass Effect 4 won't come out until at least 2+ years, if it's called that, but knowing EA, there will be another Mass Effect game.

1) I always buy used, or at the very least, wait until the game has been reduced in price. if they were smart, they would have it full price for a month or so (the period when a game makes most of its sales), and then reduce the price sharply to combat used sales.

2) This is why I'm mostly a PC gamer; either the company patches it, or, more likely, fans do the job because the people who made it are too incompetent to do it for them. (I'm looking at you, Bethesda and Obsidian.)

3) The whole premise is to get more people to buy the game to offset the price of making the game... to get more people to buy the game. The premise is faulty, and if they just decided to say 'fuck it' to being "photo realistic" and having a bunch of high paid "actors" to do voice work, then maybe they could work on those pesky things like game play and plot and fun.

4) I remember when DLC was "extending the life of the game by adding new content". Of course, a bunch of greedy fuck investors who don't know shit about the medium figured it was a good way to squeeze more money out of the consumer, because fuck them; who cares if they have to pay 120 bucks to get everything?

5) No excuse for this bullshit. At all. Capcom seriously lost me with that, both in defending it, and then doing it again when they got caught the first time.

6) I could go on about how, really, most piracy is based around price, and if game prices were lower (see 2), it wouldn't nearly as big. Not to mention some piracy does lead people to actually buy the game. (I wouldn't own most of my DS games if not for that, much less my DS!) OF COURSE, there are always just lazy fucks who do it because they can't be "bothered" to pay anything and just want it now.

7) Funny how it only punishes the honest people, since pirates crack that shit within days, or even hours. Again, fuck the consumer.

8) Thankfully this is only related to shit I don't care about. Of course, now it's sneaking into SimCity, of all things... assholes...

9) Because clearly, the entire world has cable connections, right? ... Right? Oh wait, they don't and this is the dumbest idea ever. Especially when those servers go down. But hey, who cares? Fuck those consumers.

10) Err...?

11) Fuck community, I play the way I want to play.

12) This is why a lot of the games I play are old; if the modern doesn't give it to me, I have a vast number of older games to play.

13) Back in the day, I wonder if they blamed the radio and its serials for violent acts.

1. Well i mostly download before i buy but this is mostly for PC gamers (Doesn't mean i don't buy it if i enjoy it)

2. We have to live with this and sometimes there are mods to fix em (not on consoles though sadly i'd like to use my PS3 more)

3. Now this is actually quite a good one i hate when they make a game HD as hell but they have NO form of gameplay! (It's why iam still playing Half-Life 1)

4. DLC's... only buy them when they add enough content for my doing.

5. ???

6. Yea true although i pirate before buy i do buy any game if a like it even if iam not going to be playing it anymore they deserve my money.

7. DRM while most of my games are on Steam or otherwise are from 1999 (Yay Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2)

8. Never seen this but it would suck greatly i love Singleplayers with a good story and gameplay!

9. Yea i can relate 800 KB/s max having a telephone cable is awesome *cough*

10. Okay? i can't really say much since i only played ME2 iam low on HDD space!

11. Communities can be good and bad it's also why i download games before paying useally people are biased or look at graphics (i actually saw such a review on Half-Life 1 someone was raging that why people liked it with such old graphics...)

12. This is only if you keep looking at the big game studios

13. i can relate they also blamed being antisocial on the latest shooting. but i mean Hitler did the same with the Jews Goverments/media will always need some group to blame things on...

I'm glad that i'm not the only one contemplating quitting. For me gaming has become a way to waste time, i miss actually feeling things when i play games or ecountering things that are unique and memorable.

I've decided that after new year i will disconnect from the net and leave most gaming sites far behind, DLC and glitchy games can fuck off and i'm going to only buy games that i belive will give me something different and i'm also going to put a severe limit on the number of games i buy. I'm hoping that i can return to the style of gaming i had ten years ago.

I would suggest that you do something similar, decide what it is you want from gaming and take steps to encounter only that.

Guest jb28147

What I meant with corruption was that what happens with the franchises of Dragon Age and Mass Effect because of EA's corruption.

EA was the reason for Mass Effect 3's ending and the disappointing Dragon Age 2.

7) Funny how it only punishes the honest people' date=' since pirates crack that shit within days, or even hours. Again, fuck the consumer.

[/quote']

I played Skyrim before it was released, just saying :P .

13) Back in the day' date=' I wonder if they blamed the radio and its serials for violent acts.

[/quote']

Google the radio broadcast of 'war of the worlds'.

You think the Mayans made people freak out.....

My Reasons Why:

Get Steam. Most games are rarely that expensive except for the really high production value triple A games. And even then they can often be found on sale some time after release. Right now Steam is having its annual winter sale' date=' in which games are up to 75% off in some cases.[/u']

This really isn't an across-the-board occurrence, is it not? If those bugs are really causing you trouble, you should save more often.

3) Graphics over Gameplay - Because making the game look good, doesn't mean cutting all the gameplay out.

Yes, many Triple A games are taking this route. However, with steam, there are a plethora of indie games that while lack in uber-photo realistic graphics make up for in creative, and fun gameplay.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. In which games does this apply?

While some companies like Capcom are doing this, this isn't really such an across-the-board issue that should warrant leaving video games altogether.

Piracy is a much more legitimate issue to be addressing (although people who pirate games don't actually steal them, they just copy them). It's one of the unfortunate realities when it comes to gaming (Primarily PC gaming). I agree with you there.

For the most part, this isn't that bad. If you install games from Steam you never experience DRM. And in some cases you can untick the option to install the unwanted software.

Don't have much to say about this. In some ways it's true and an issue, in some cases it isn't that much. It would be bad for games who've been primarily single player in previous installments and have a newly added multiplayer feature. Something like the Mass Effect franchise. It wouldn't really be that bad in games such as Battlefield or Call of Duty when they and every body else knows that people primarily play those games for the multiplayer and they can get away with a tacked on singleplayer.

That's hardly the fault of online games or the people who make them.

And Dragon Age, and many other franchises. It sucks.

11) Community - For being called a console peasant, because you prefer console over pc.

But that's hardly a reason to quit gaming altogether. All you need to do is ignore those people. Don't listen to them. Play what you want to play.

12) Lack of Variety - Because some people want RPG and Simulation games, not CoD and Battlefield.

Not much to say as I agree. I hope that this completely absurd Modern Military FPS craze dies a fast and clean death soon and developers start making more varied games.

You know what I say? Fuck the media. Everything they do is in pursuit of more money. They know that television is dying in popularity and they will go to any lengths to keep people away from using any other form of media and entertainment, including video games. They want to convince the ignorant that the real problem is the gaming industry. Those guys at Fox, CNN, BBC and all those other idiotic stations are desperate. In all honesty, I don't give a flying fuck about what they say. They can blabber nonsense all they want, while I continue to play whatever games I want and still won't feel and violent urges to kill people. You know what gives me those urges? The fucking media. I recommend watching

by Totalbiscuit. It's a spot on video on the subject.

Ultimately it's your choice. I can't stop you. And honestly, if you don't find enjoyment in video games then don't feel in the slightest way obligated to play them. Video games are a hobby. They're supposed to be used as entertainment. If you don't find any entertainment from them then you should find something else that entertains you.

Those are just my 2 cents.

Spending your time and money to other thing like for sport' date=' family, small entrepreneurship, career training, love and study is always a good idea.

People gain nothing when they spent the life on video games, other than ambidextrous masturbation.

[/quote']

Could you please stop posting this BS? Much appreciated.

Edit: I realised this may sound a bit harsh, but you are advertising a lifestyle that left behind many unhappy humans: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

You should do what YOU want and not what others may expect you to do. Living your life according to what our society and culture are expecting you to do is NOT the solution to everything. Quite the opposite, tbh - chances are you will end up very unhappy. And what works for you doesn't need to work for anybody else. So please, quit you advertising. If you want to be a small insignificant gear in a giant treadmill, go ahead. But don't tell others they should do the same. We cool?

Only if you want to, there's plenty of other good stress relieving hobbies.

I don't play many newer games since I just can't afford to, but you can always find an awesome masterpiece of a game you haven't played before on cheap or free (see Daggerfall) and it doesn't take much hardware.

If you like RPGs nethack and other rogue-likes are free, open source and challenging. Not very pretty graphically but very immersive otherwise.