Fallout 76, 7 months in

Not sure if there are any threads like this out there already, I skimmed and didn't see any. Apologies if there are.

Is anyone still playing 76 at this point? I played for about 1-2 hours per day for 2 weeks after launch and haven't gone back since. The story didn't draw me in the way other Fallout games did and the lack of modding capability decreased the amount of fun I was having for sure. I do think 76 has an interesting story, in fact, I think it easily had the chance to be Fallout's best story yet. But having to discover the story through nothing but holotapes, terminals, robots and written notes left so much to be desired. Even a tiny amount of NPCs with dialogue would've transformed the game for me. Hell, even just having Raider groups that are always hostile would've been better than nothing. I understand the Scorched Plague and all that but you mean to tell me there isn't one, not ONE human left alive in Appalachia?

Modding is the most important part of playing Bethesda games to me. First and foremost, mods are basically a requirement given how buggy these games tend to be. Secondly, they allow you to personalize your experience which is something Bethesda has always seemed to be supportive of. I'm not sure that I'll ever go back to 76 unless mod support is announced. The game is only 7 months old and Bethesda does seem to be updating it regularly with events and what not, so there's still time.

So how about the rest of you? Do you play 76 daily? If mod support or private servers ever become part of the game, what are some mods you'd like to see and would that make you more likely to start playing again?

Not daily any more, usually about 3-4 hours a week now, most of my 4 characters are lv50 with pretty much all the main and side quests done.  The problem is that most of the daily and events do not action as often as they should, i have not seen some of the daily ones more than once or twice ever, the new quest lines are ok, but mostly quite short.

The brewing stuff the bought in is ok, but some of the recipes are pretty annoying to complete especially the ones that require stable fluxes, and the only way to get more of those recipes are to do a daily that requires you to either find or create a specific brew, the first on I got required stable violet fluxes, which if I had any I most certainly would be using the to add calibrated shocks to my power armor with.

Not too sure about the new pioneer scout stuff as I have not played since they did the update, and chances are it will be either the week end or next week before I play again.

Mods I do use some, but most of them are not really anything I would bother with, the main one I like is the perk loadout manager, as well as the ore and plant glow ones, and the ones that make plans glow as well.  The problem with many mods is that depending on what they do, they would be considered as cheating, I know I saw one that added a bar when lock picking, in single player game I would have no problem with it being used, in a online game I would consider it cheating.

There are not many texture or armor re-placers, after all why bother the only time you will see them is if you wear them, or other players do, there are no npc's for eye candy, I do use the enhanced vanilla body, and at one point had the optional install to make wearing the swim suit be naked, but seeing 3-4 male players running around naked due to that mod made me go eww, I do not want to see that thank you very much and removed it.  As I play 1st person I do not really care what I am wearing looks like, though it looking nice is good, but non of the mods change what other players see you wearing only you see it.

Private servers will depend on how the do it, as it could be done by in effect allowing the player to host a local server on their pc and log into that, but I am guessing that what bethesda will really do is charge you per month to use one of their servers, in which case I will ignore them totally.

• 2 weeks later...

76 is a topic that excites a lot of passion, drama, and flames on these boards. Plus modding it is technically against the ToUS until private servers go live. So there's not a lot of reason for folks to talk about it here and plenty of reasons to just avoid the subject altogether. I'll abstain from saying anything else.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:34 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

...modding it is technically against the ToUS until private servers go live...

#1 reason to keep discussions of modding it (i.e. cracking it) off the site.  But if people want to get locked out of a game they paid 60 bucks for that's their business.

16 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

#1 reason to keep discussions of modding it (i.e. cracking it) off the site.  But if people want to get locked out of a game they paid 60 bucks for that's their business.

There is a big difference between modding and cracking a game,.

Modding includes changing textures/meshes etc, no effect on game play in any way or form apart from appearance.

Cracking, this would include things like, changing hacking to only offer the correct answer, placing the lockpick attempt at the open location or changing weapons or armor values, that would be considered cheating in a online game and should be a reason to lock the player using them out and rightly so.

Considering modding is openly spoken off on the official forums and there is a fairly large number of mods on nexus as well, there is no reason to keep discussion off site, of course technical information about how to do it would depend on which area it falls into and what it was supposed to do.

As for the terms of service about modding I think you are more likely to find they state that mods are not supported and taking into account their actions, that pretty much means if you kill your game or character and use mods tough shit, that is your problem, you will get not support from the official support side of things.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:32 AM, Kendo 2 said:

Yeah, all of your erroneous points have been made before...in every locked thread about FO76.

I don't plan on getting this thread locked since it isn't about modding 76, but only general discussion on how the game is now versus how it was at launch. Though...I do think I posted in the wrong section lol

Anyway, I've been playing once every 2 or 3 days for the past 2 weeks and I have to say, I'm having so much more fun than when I initially played at launch. I'm taking my good old time, only in the high teens level-wise and have explored quite a bit of the Forest region as well as the Toxic Valley. Seeing enemies in the 40s-50s level ranges through VATS keeps me from doing too much exploring though. Every time I play, I get at least one other high level player who will seek me out and drop a bag full of helpful items at my feet (nothing crazy like legendary weapons) including stimpaks, armor or plans for workshop items. It's been really nice. I haven't had a single player harass me and as far as I can see there's teamwork going on all over the place, so most other players are reluctant to add such a low level player as me to their teams. Sometimes, I'll get an invite to join a random's group and it depends on how much time I have to play on whether or not I join. Playing with others makes the game so much easier but a lot of the time it's fun just roaming on your own. Though...I have encountered several enemies and areas where it would've been super helpful to have a few other players with me.

I haven't tried any of the new DLC since my character is such a low level so I can't comment on it personally, but I have seen gameplay videos and it all looks pretty cool. I'm looking forward to the Wastelanders DLC most of all, which comes out later this year.

All in all, it seems like Fallout 76 is on the up and up and hopefully Bethesda does right by it. Games can come back from the brink, this and Star Wars Battlefront II are proving that. I just hope they continue to support it and don't give up if player numbers dwindle. I still wish it was a single player, offline Fallout experience but I have to admit that 76 really is a fun game.

Pretty sure that if you can keep the 'why can't we mod this?' comments tamped down no one will care about the discussion.  People enjoying the game is cool, talking about poaching FO4 mods or encouraging people to violate the game's EULA isn't.  It's bad for the site, IMO.  Not that my opinion on this or anything else counts for jack-shit. ?

I kinda stopped playing it a while ago, I liked the game and found it kinda fun but meh, I honestly have trouble playing it without NPCs, even with all the players around it's like I'm just playing in a half-finished game; not that I think it is half finished, just that it feels empty to me. 

4 hours ago, Veniat said:

I kinda stopped playing it a while ago, I liked the game and found it kinda fun but meh, I honestly have trouble playing it without NPCs, even with all the players around it's like I'm just playing in a half-finished game; not that I think it is half finished, just that it feels empty to me. 

You certainly get the feeling that all the really fun stuff was before you got out of the vault, now well anything dealing with the survivors, well you know the answer to, it they are dead and you are just going along behind picking the pieces up, even that seems a bit meh after a while.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:44 AM, Varithina said:

You certainly get the feeling that all the really fun stuff was before you got out of the vault, now well anything dealing with the survivors, well you know the answer to, it they are dead and you are just going along behind picking the pieces up, even that seems a bit meh after a while.

Can't agree more with this. Exploring Appalachia after the fact definitely makes things pretty uninteresting. As much as I enjoy the story (what I've played so far) it just feels so lacking in so many departments.

Also, I've been playing for nearly a month straight now and I'm still not even level 30 yet...what gives?

2 hours ago, heroscomeback said:

Can't agree more with this. Exploring Appalachia after the fact definitely makes things pretty uninteresting. As much as I enjoy the story (what I've played so far) it just feels so lacking in so many departments.

Also, I've been playing for nearly a month straight now and I'm still not even level 30 yet...what gives?

That may well depend on what you are doing, one thing I noticed is that most of the xp seems to come from quests/events and that sort of stuff, if you are relying on just killing things then you need to be moving around quite a bit or in areas where respawn rates seem to be higher.  Do no just follow the main quest do the side quests, and misc quest as well.

Archived