Oops Microsoft did it again (BSOD) Win 7 - 10

Just for information, after getting a BSOD every 15min playing Fallout-4 i found this.

Faulty Windows Update

They rolled out update packages for all windows versions 7 - 10 that cause BSOD from simple gaming. If you are annoyed from that, remove the update and get your system stability back. The faulty and known numbers can be found in the update history.

Happy Gaming?

Gathering information about steam proton, as shown in various youtube vids user can run lot's of titles from a Linux installation. Don't know if microsoft want to force bind game studios to their xbox to put additional fees on them.

Running Win7 here, rolled back Jan 19 because W10 was annoying. Slower and less compatible than 7 and for gaming no one need DRM capabilities and enforced telemetry in the operating system. Time will tell, which open platform will provide a reliable gaming platform. Thumbs up for Steam Proton to grow.?

Aside from the fact that was an insider build...

From what I've been reading, this is roughly the same as complaining because a mod doesn't work, it's the game devs fault and the devs should make it work. IF wicked Whims or Sexlab suddenly stopped working, is that EA or Bethesda's issue? No, it's up to Turbodriver and Ashal to get it right (I assume Ashal is the author of that mod, I don't play Skyrim)

The games were crashing because of changes to windows kernel due to anti cheat programs built into the game looking for something that was no longer where it was expecting and hard crashing the whole kit and caboodle.

Maybe... just maybe... if people didn't cheat against other people... we wouldn't be in this mess, now would we?

Single player against an AI, Knock yourself out as far as I care, but when you're dealing with another person, that's a line I refuse to cross. 

Well, am using W10 on my new pc. Loved W7 the most, but I cant ignore the benefits of w10, to be fair it has grown on me and that 14s boot time is great.
Of course I had problems with W10, after adding more ram to the system and additional SSD it decided that my windows copy was illegal, good thing we have internet to fix such dumbass things. I also have completely disabled windows updates, cant stop windows defender from working in the background, but despite that it all works like a charm to be fair. Wish I had as much control as I did on W7 tho.

You should consider deleting Win 7 from your thread title; I'm not seeing any direct mention of W7 in any of these articles mentioned, or the MS blog article cited.

Or any affect upon my gaming.

Don't alarm people unnecessarily. And waste their time.

15 hours ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

The games were crashing because of changes to windows kernel due to anti cheat programs built into the game looking for something that was no longer where it was expecting and hard crashing the whole kit and caboodle.

Maybe... just maybe... if people didn't cheat against other people... we wouldn't be in this mess, now would we?

Well, that would be nice. But honestly, if anti-cheating software messes with the kernel of my OS then fuck the games using that software. I'd consider that thing broken from the very beginning of its existance and that it didn't lead to problems earlier is rather by accident than anything else.

To this day i've not been able to keep Windows from getting bloated over time of usage. New windows starts up so quickly and smoothly, but as months go by you see longer startup and restart time. Followed a bunch of those "guides" to get rid of unneeded pre-installed stuff, but hell they make little to no difference. Is Windows deliberately designed that way? Fucking stupid i tell ya. lol

When I was working as a repair tech, I would explain to customers that having a computer is more like having a pet than an appliance. If you want it to last, you have to actually take care of it.

The most ignored step is, from my experience, the fact you have to physically clean the insides every so often to keep it functioning properly.

The absolute worst enemy of electronics is heat and guess what, dust is a GREAT insulator and I can't tell you how many PC's I opened that set off my dust allergies and how many cans of air I had to code out to clean them.

The worst ones were caked with dust inside and out to the point it would be leaking out of the ports on the back. it would build up on the CPU heat sink and on both the CPU and Case fans, blocking air flow and causing the system temperature to rise. And when the system gets warmer than expected, it starts to slow itself down to prevent damage.

Steps to keeping your PC running faster. 

Step one: as mentioned above, physically clean it. My Alienware doesn't build up as much dust due to it's compact form, but I still open her up and giver her a once over every six months.

Step two: regular malware and antivirus checks. Weekly at least. I had lots of issues my coworkers would give up on until I convinced them to run a scan. There was ateast three times I can remember where malware had disabled the Wi-Fi.  

step three: defrag

optional four, RAM upgrade. Don't break the bank, but it really will help if you're closer to your system's upper limit

optional five, switch to or add an SSD drive and move your OS there. they tend to be smaller and more expensive (my 120GB HP internal SSD was about the same price as my 4TB Seagate external)

34 minutes ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

Steps to keeping your PC running faster. 

Step one: as mentioned above, physically clean it. My Alienware doesn't build up as much dust due to it's compact form, but I still open her up and giver her a once over every six months.

Step two: regular malware and antivirus checks. Weekly at least. I had lots of issues my coworkers would give up on until I convinced them to run a scan. There was ateast three times I can remember where malware had disabled the Wi-Fi.  

optional four, RAM upgrade. Don't break the bank, but it really will help if you're closer to your system's upper limit

optional five, switch to or add an SSD drive and move your OS there. they tend to be smaller and more expensive (my 120GB HP internal SSD was about the same price as my 4TB Seagate external)

Honestly i'd skip step 2 and 3. Windows own AV is built in, designed to work with it, actually better than pretty much anything you can buy with any money and you're not able to turn it off entirely anyways. Every other AV software i know, even if it's only the name, already had their own major security bug so in case of doubt you're better without it. But i'd let it run and do it's thing, so maybe we actually don't disagree on that part. ;)

And i never saw any improvement whatsoever from defrag, but i didn't see anything slower than 7200 rpm in ages, if they're slower that might make a difference, dunno.

True about the other stuff, though, especially heat. One reason i avoid Seagate like hell, after i've seen one that became so hot it actually melted the cable attached to it. I guess they've improved or it was faulty from the beginning, but that view is something i won't forget.^^

WD and Toshiba both are often a little bit more pricy, but imho worth it, never had any bad experience neither on my own nor customers.

5 hours ago, Pork Type said:

You should consider deleting Win 7 from your thread title; I'm not seeing any direct mention of W7 in any of these articles mentioned, or the MS blog article cited.

Or any affect upon my gaming.

Don't alarm people unnecessarily. And waste their time.

To be more precise i have to use german news articles, because english ones are censored that much.

So here is a list.

KB4493472 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (BSOD while gaming, no networking and proofed on my rig)

KB4493446 for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2

KB4495666 for Windows 10

Solution: Remove this update packages

4 hours ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

Defrag? Was last night the night we set our clocks back 20 years? We have SSDs now ?

Seriously, those are so cheap and last as long as HDD that there's no excuse to not use them anymore.

But yes, do the cleaning, both physcial and logical. Vacuum cleaners are dangerous since static electricity may build up at end of the pipe, rather use compressed air. It's sold in cans.

And of course if you have a real gaming PC chassis like me, it has dust filters that reduces the amount that builds up inside. Still needs to be opened and cleaned occasionally.

As for on topic, Microsoft fixed security issues and software functioning like malware causes BSODs? I fail to see why i should blame Microsoft.

55 minutes ago, ToJKa said:

Defrag? Was last night the night we set our clocks back 20 years? We have SSDs now ?

Seriously, those are so cheap and last as long as HDD that there's no excuse to not use them anymore.

But yes, do the cleaning, both physcial and logical. Vacuum cleaners are dangerous since static electricity may build up at end of the pipe, rather use compressed air. It's sold in cans.

And of course if you have a real gaming PC chassis like me, it has dust filters that reduces the amount that builds up inside. Still needs to be opened and cleaned occasionally.

As for on topic, Microsoft fixed security issues and software functioning like malware causes BSODs? I fail to see why i should blame Microsoft.

Some people have older machines. I was making a general statement. I had people bring me stuff still running fucking XP...

20 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

They card you now if you buy compressed air spray cans. I guess a lot of people were using them to get high, even though they contain chemicals that should prevent that from happening. 

Facepalm.gif.9b55f84038fe1b7d2f180b7becb0fab1.gif

20 hours ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

Some people have older machines. I was making a general statement. I had people bring me stuff still running fucking XP...

Yes, that was a joke.

I still have HDD in my machine too. In my workplace however, the boss has declared that no HDDs are to be used anywhere. Except the Domain Controller's RAID set.

49 minutes ago, ToJKa said:

I still have HDD in my machine too. In my workplace however, the boss has declared that no HDDs are to be used anywhere. Except the Domain Controller's RAID set.

Your company has too much money or doesn't need much space? For the difference between the price for 4TB HDD and 4TB SSD i get a whole new PC.^^

23 minutes ago, Nazzzgul666 said:

Your company has too much money or doesn't need much space? For the difference between the price for 4TB HDD and 4TB SSD i get a whole new PC.^^

The latter. The former is not, ever, a problem ?

And the boss believes SSDs speed solves all issues :classic_laugh:

On 4/16/2019 at 7:19 PM, ToJKa said:

off Topic

I use an old hair dryer, cold air, works flawlessly and only costs a bit of electricity. :classic_laugh:

or so :classic_wink:

8wHGogr.gif

Archived