AAF Guides - Official Thread (PDFs + web link) by RitualClarity and forgets

On 4/11/2019 at 8:11 AM, RitualClarity said:

New updated info on the link...
mostly format and readability, no actual new procedure of info, or links.

Please feel free to give feedback to this.  

Any chance you can throw in an addendum to the 'Home key' issues, to check that your dense player ass hasn't turned the crosshair off in FO4's settings?

Cause I may have been a dense idiot for the better part of 8 hours, aside from a couple other issues I was ironing out with AAF too.

Edit: also didn't see reference in places to the Unlimited Companion Framework, which will throw you an error if it's missing on startup.

9 hours ago, Nebuchadnezzer2 said:

Any chance you can throw in an addendum to the 'Home key' issues, to check that your dense player ass hasn't turned the crosshair off in FO4's settings?

Cause I may have been a dense idiot for the better part of 8 hours, aside from a couple other issues I was ironing out with AAF too.

Edit: also didn't see reference in places to the Unlimited Companion Framework, which will throw you an error if it's missing on startup.

Your cross hairs shouldn't be messed with and not really part of the scope of the guide.  it is already very large as it is.

Unlimited Companions Framework isn't needed as far as I was informed. It is likely some mod you added that required it.. not AAF. AAF only requires a very few things to be installed to get working. Everything else is optional. As a result.. those optional files need to be carefully selected AND you need to be aware of those requirements they have.

I know the process is confusing but it will get easier as you get more and more used to modding. (directed at everybody)

12 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Unlimited Companions Framework isn't needed as far as I was informed. It is likely some mod you added that required it.. not AAF. AAF only requires a very few things to be installed to get working. Everything else is optional. As a result.. those optional files need to be carefully selected AND you need to be aware of those requirements they have.

True, I'd set up a profile with solely-AAF minimum requirements to get it functional, which hadn't had that come up, so most likely Atomic Lust or similar.

Your cross hairs shouldn't be messed with and not really part of the scope of the guide.  it is already very large as it is.

Was thinking more of a short entry on something like the AAF Wiki in the troubleshooting section.

Mostly cause I'm sure I haven't been the only one to turn off the default Crosshair a long time ago. Damn thing clutters things too much, for me.

I know the process is confusing but it will get easier as you get more and more used to modding. (directed at everybody)

Part of the issue is both the dependency-chains are often confusing to try and follow, usually involve one or more inter-dependency based on something in that chain, and pretty much total lack of naming convention 'standard'. The last save I did, I spent a good two days 'prepping' for it, including adding the CHCBBE physics to a ton of things I'd wanted it on, which was a good 8 hours alone. Thus far, getting a functional AAF+AAF-SEU install's taken about the same if not longer.
I'd expand on that, but I'm still working out kinks in my install, but it's not really the place for it, and I don't want to shit on other's work, that they've done in their own time, and without cost.
Plus I'm in a ranting mood, and I'm on enough of an irrelevant tangent as it is.

10 hours ago, Nebuchadnezzer2 said:

True, I'd set up a profile with solely-AAF minimum requirements to get it functional, which hadn't had that come up, so most likely Atomic Lust or similar.

Yes, go back and double check your mod requirements. Good to see you have a proper setup nice and clean to start from. ?

Was thinking more of a short entry on something like the AAF Wiki in the troubleshooting section.

It is a thought, however, I haven't seen people complain (connect AAF with the cross hairs not working) I can't put too much into the troubleshooting sections and focus on the most seen issues (usually suggested by the developer(s) of the mod and mods that use AAF) Otherwise the troubleshooting section would be larger than the entire guide if I added everything that people suggested lol... :D  It is intended to be as brief as possible. Mostly focused on direct issues related in setting up AAF itself.

Mostly cause I'm sure I haven't been the only one to turn off the default Crosshair a long time ago. Damn thing clutters things too much, for me. I don't even know how to turn them off... ;) LOL

Part of the issue is both the dependency-chains are often confusing to try and follow, usually involve one or more inter-dependency based on something in that chain, and pretty much total lack of naming convention 'standard'. The last save I did, I spent a good two days 'prepping' for it, including adding the CHCBBE physics to a ton of things I'd wanted it on, which was a good 8 hours alone. Thus far, getting a functional AAF+AAF-SEU install's taken about the same if not longer.
I'd expand on that, but I'm still working out kinks in my install, but it's not really the place for it, and I don't want to shit on other's work, that they've done in their own time, and without cost.
Plus I'm in a ranting mood, and I'm on enough of an irrelevant tangent as it is.

Unfortunately, it is the case, most that mod games and Fallout 4 and even AAF knows this is fact. It takes a shit ton of time to get the needed understanding and "lingo" and such to be able to be successful in modding your game using frameworks like this. Same goes for Sexlab, Sexout, and Oblivion framework (I forge the name currently.. lol)  It is a well known rant.

In time you will get to understand the process, lingo and other needed aspects of this and become a pro. Then you can help others along the path (if you don't get burned out) and even help the authors (believe it or not) with some issues and even suggestions. I haven't created any public mod but, I contribute to modding and suggestions and other assistance on many levels, many PMs from many other authors and for many other games. Get content that isn't even released to the public (some is quite awesome as a matter of fact) due to my assistance, helpfulness, trustworthiness and willing to do some tech support.

you don't have to be an author to make a contribution, you don't have to be an expert to help with support. In fact, there is a serious need for such people that can help cover and assist those that are having troubles for simple things and strange things (liek the crosshair issue you experienced as well as the dependency ... once you figure that out) Authors don't always see all the mods (generally often times only working theirs or some select mods they like not 100's of mods and com binations) People like you are really useful and helpful provided you are willing...

It is ok to rant from time to time.. ;) Just don't make it personal :D
and distract from teh thread.

Sorry to use the quote and fill in (used a different color to help ) I just had so short of time and really wanted to chime back in and didn't want to short change or cut out parts of the conversion to cause a different result of what was being said.

10 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Sorry to use the quote and fill in (used a different color to help ) I just had so short of time and really wanted to chime back in and didn't want to short change or cut out parts of the conversion to cause a different result of what was being said.

Nah, that colour helped a ton.

I can't put too much into the troubleshooting sections and focus on the most seen issues (usually suggested by the developer(s) of the mod and mods that use AAF) Otherwise the troubleshooting section would be larger than the entire guide if I added everything that people suggested lol... :D  It is intended to be as brief as possible. Mostly focused on direct issues related in setting up AAF itself.

True. I mean I've seen some of the other guides... :P

Unfortunately, it is the case, most that mod games and Fallout 4 and even AAF knows this is fact. It takes a shit ton of time to get the needed understanding and "lingo" and such to be able to be successful in modding your game using frameworks like this. Same goes for Sexlab, Sexout, and Oblivion framework (I forge the name currently.. lol)  It is a well known rant.

In time you will get to understand the process, lingo and other needed aspects of this and become a pro. Then you can help others along the path (if you don't get burned out) and even help the authors (believe it or not) with some issues and even suggestions. I haven't created any public mod but, I contribute to modding and suggestions and other assistance on many levels, many PMs from many other authors and for many other games. Get content that isn't even released to the public (some is quite awesome as a matter of fact) due to my assistance, helpfulness, trustworthiness and willing to do some tech support.

you don't have to be an author to make a contribution, you don't have to be an expert to help with support. In fact, there is a serious need for such people that can help cover and assist those that are having troubles for simple things and strange things (liek the crosshair issue you experienced as well as the dependency ... once you figure that out) Authors don't always see all the mods (generally often times only working theirs or some select mods they like not 100's of mods and com binations) People like you are really useful and helpful provided you are willing...

Yeah, part of the point I was going to rant about and decided not to, was the current scatter-shot around AAF/AAF-SEU-based modding. Without the mod authors (or someone willing to go through the whole thing and list it themselves) writing up a much more detailed list of "X goes with Y, if using Z, only use Y" for their mod(s), OR having a naming standard for AAF-based/related mods, the situations' only going to get worse. Having minimum-requirements listed to get them functional (like AAF) is great, but it almost feels like someone needs to write a fork of LOOT (actually working, good LOOT) solely to handle AAF-based mods.
Especially with some variants, like when a mod mentions an anim pack of, say, Leito or Crazy and thinking 'which one?'.

As for the third paragraph, I've chimed in a few times on the DD/DCW/RH for that reason, and I'm tempted to rip into DD/DCW and (once actually familiar with it and how it's written/operates) re-write it for a few reasons, the delay-saving-upon-DD-equip being one of them.
Might do that if the mood strikes and I've got the time, but I know there'll be a lot of learning the underlying papyrus functions, plus I'm avoiding dealing with the CK since it fucking hates me, apparently.

It is ok to rant from time to time.. ;) Just don't make it personal :D and distract from teh thread.

Yeah, that's why I avoid ranting.
Cause I know damn well that I'll spend half an hour going off on tangents and need to rewrite or remove large chunks of it because it's not relevant. :P

Edit: While I'm at it, actually, got a link to the discord lying around?
Could come in handy, and might actually contribute once in a blue moon :P

14 hours ago, Nebuchadnezzer2 said:

Nah, that colour helped a ton.

Cool,,, makes it easier to keep track of conversations and not snip or select (cherry pick) parts.

True. I mean I've seen some of the other guides... :P
There are some good ones.. other than mine, I like @forgets guide.. it is different approach but I truely feel a needed one. I have also seen some nice parts here and there from other mods. If I had some more time, it might inspire me to make some changes, however... to be honest.. I am trying to keep it as close to the original formula as many find it useful and it has been reviewed by many authors and @dagobaking when he is able to (and where) so it should be pretty good and reliable. Perhaps in the future if I came up with a new format that worked well.. I would propose it. I have some ideas but there are issues with it that are covered with the current guide.. It would do some of what others are asking for and provide options for someone to contribute but it would really cut out some of the core of what is provided by this current version. Perhaps I might figure out a way to get both. It took me almost a month to understand the basics and get a good (current format) idea that would provide what was being requested by @dagobaking and @CGi and other authors of AAF mods as well as some other guide/tutorial makers. Most don't realize how much consultation and effort went into deciding the format and even the content and in some cases even the actual wording... ;)

14 hours ago, Nebuchadnezzer2 said:

Yeah, part of the point I was going to rant about and decided not to, was the current scatter-shot around AAF/AAF-SEU-based modding. Without the mod authors (or someone willing to go through the whole thing and list it themselves) writing up a much more detailed list of "X goes with Y, if using Z, only use Y" for their mod(s), OR having a naming standard for AAF-based/related mods, the situations' only going to get worse. Having minimum-requirements listed to get them functional (like AAF) is great, but it almost feels like someone needs to write a fork of LOOT (actually working, good LOOT) solely to handle AAF-based mods.
Especially with some variants, like when a mod mentions an anim pack of, say, Leito or Crazy and thinking 'which one?'.
If you do become an "expert" in the mod and have a great deal of understanding and willing to help and work .. you have a right to make comments (however not a rant.. more constructive criticism.. site rules and all ;) ) on various aspects of the mod etc. Also, nothing is stopping you or anyone to build a mini tutorial based on the most basic AAF install and focus on a specific mod and the "X goes with Y, if using Z, only use Y" etc etc  I don't know a single mod author here that takes offense to someone that understands what is going on creating a mini guide/tutorial that covers their mod and the various settings, mod conflicts and how and more importantly in what order to install things. configurations and such. I've done this before and shortly later, I even was given early releases and beta access for them...

People generally appreciate contributions and assistance from knowledgeable individuals that are honestly trying to help (grow themselves and other mod users)

As for the third paragraph, I've chimed in a few times on the DD/DCW/RH for that reason, and I'm tempted to rip into DD/DCW and (once actually familiar with it and how it's written/operates) re-write it for a few reasons, the delay-saving-upon-DD-equip being one of them.
Might do that if the mood strikes and I've got the time, but I know there'll be a lot of learning the underlying papyrus functions, plus I'm avoiding dealing with the CK since it fucking hates me, apparently.

Yeah, that's why I avoid ranting.
Cause I know damn well that I'll spend half an hour going off on tangents and need to rewrite or remove large chunks of it because it's not relevant. :P

I am getting better with such actions.. keeping focus provided I have the time to properly address the issue. The key for me now is to realize the amount of time I need to deal with some 'bullshit" thing that is going on.. Perhaps eventually I might even learn that it isn't worth my time and stop all together ;) I know it is true.. but keeping my hands away from the keyboard... too hard.. way too hard at times. ;)

Edit: While I'm at it, actually, got a link to the discord lying around?
Could come in handy, and might actually contribute once in a blue moon :P

:(  of course... it is in the guide... :(   Just open it up and look at the support options. I gave a sad face becuse so many read the guide and miss that part.. not only you. Sad as there are so many other options. IN fact I believe that part of the guide is the most important one!!!!!  If someone tries the guide and doesn't like it or has issues with the wording (or English is their second language and having problems..) they have live help.  I'd suggest that you sign on the Discord and make yourself be known and try to help others out that are using the mod combo that you are.. I can tell you people appreciate help from an experienced individual. Also.. nothing wrong to admit you don't know ;) Perhaps the most important part of learning :P

2 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

If you do become an "expert" in the mod and have a great deal of understanding and willing to help and work .. you have a right to make comments (however not a rant.. more constructive criticism.. site rules and all ;) ) on various aspects of the mod etc. Also, nothing is stopping you or anyone to build a mini tutorial based on the most basic AAF install and focus on a specific mod and the "X goes with Y, if using Z, only use Y" etc etc  I don't know a single mod author here that takes offense to someone that understands what is going on creating a mini guide/tutorial that covers their mod and the various settings, mod conflicts and how and more importantly in what order to install things. configurations and such. I've done this before and shortly later, I even was given early releases and beta access for them...

People generally appreciate contributions and assistance from knowledgeable individuals that are honestly trying to help (grow themselves and other mod users) 

HAH, I'd need to sort out the still-standing issues with my own install first, one being that I need to open up xEdit and find the goddamn change to the Forged's base armour that causes some of em to be invisible (mesh-related). :P

That said, I'll occasionally hyperfocus on what I'm doing and sink 6 hours into something.
Liiike my mods.
That and I guess I tend to 'sponge' info while I'm doing so, which is why I have a decent understanding of how Papyrus, DD/DCW, Cell loading/unloading and AAF work, in ~4 months.
Might look properly at DD/DCW scripts, and makes some changes, mostly for performance, and run em by Kimy. Soon™, busy with AAF and my load order :P

I am getting better with such actions.. keeping focus provided I have the time to properly address the issue. The key for me now is to realize the amount of time I need to deal with some 'bullshit" thing that is going on.. Perhaps eventually I might even learn that it isn't worth my time and stop all together ;) I know it is true.. but keeping my hands away from the keyboard... too hard.. way too hard at times. ;)

Yeahhh, I struggle with where the line is between that "bullshit" (or literally anything taking up inordinate amounts of time) and something productive.

:(  of course... it is in the guide... :(   Just open it up and look at the support options. I gave a sad face becuse so many read the guide and miss that part.. not only you. Sad as there are so many other options. IN fact I believe that part of the guide is the most important one!!!!!  If someone tries the guide and doesn't like it or has issues with the wording (or English is their second language and having problems..) they have live help.  I'd suggest that you sign on the Discord and make yourself be known and try to help others out that are using the mod combo that you are.. I can tell you people appreciate help from an experienced individual. Also.. nothing wrong to admit you don't know ;) Perhaps the most important part of learning :P

Ya lost the colouring :P

I think I saw it not that long after I posted that, and promptly forgot about it :P
Might make want to make it a bit more prominent/higher in the guide, most people probably aren't looking that far, or have tuned back out once they've seen/gotten what they need.

I'd probably be surprised if someone had a similar load order as myself, with AAF+SEU+Vio on top of Modern Firearms & Sidearms, plus the plethora of clothing/weapon mods on top of that, including Shell Rain and Weapons of Fate ?
Again, that said, I've also had to look at some of the AAF *.xml's so I've got a fair idea how they work. Made some changes to the overlayData.xml's already ;) May decide to create a few of my own *.xml's later, particularly if/when Zaz's anim's are updated. Gotta have some inspiration, after all, and they'd go well with some of the existing ones (like the S & M Poses) if I can get a bit of movement happenin with em. Although I'm not touching animating. Outfit Studio hurts my brain enough.

[Bolded]: Plenty I don't know :Dfor now.

• 2 months later...

hello excuse me i'm following the guide for AAF and it say to download rigs for creatures but i have no idea where to add or install the rigs.
So i read the rigs forum and they say we dont need it it's only for content creator.
So what?
Can you fix the guide or explain a bit more what we do with ".max" files.
I tried in mutated lust to found the ".max" files to add the new we needs to dowload but there's not.
Any help please? ^^

21 hours ago, Selky said:

the guide is not up to date :(

My guide should be up to date. 

The rig has been removed. It is a live document and is updated on the fly. Please refresh your browser.

If there are any other questions or issues with the guide please post where I can see it. the guide created by me is live and updated as soon as possible once something is found outdated or wrong.

I don't have a heavily documented AAF install and thus I am following what documentation I can find on the subject.

2 hours ago, Jackhammer09 said:

Can I use CBBE (Caliente's Beautiful Body Enhancers) with these animations?

I am told that is the preferred body for AAF at the moment (for  women)

There is a discord link in my guide that can give you access to support for your setup You will likely run into more issues and or questions.

• 3 months later...