How many mods do you run???

goldust

On 9/24/2018 at 2:35 PM, winny257 said:

cough cough, no offense, the maximum limit are 255 ESP \ ESM files!
425 active mods, and the game would not even start. :classic_wink:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/351660338694984268/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/73923185

Never use 255 mod's. The game need the last slot FF==255 for the autogeneration of Bandits, Forsworns, created weapons, armors, enchantements... When you see a bandit open te console and click over it. Look their ID and you can see FF. Same when you craft armors or weapons. Drop it in the floor, open the console and click over it. The code start again with FF.

Any ESP that you put in 255 are automatically ignored by the game and replaced by the autogenerator plugin.

And some mod need the slot 254, like bashed patch, perkus maximus, Skyre... Then, your REAL maximun number of plugins is 253. Is recomended low this limit to 250 and left 3 slot for small aditions, forgoted patch's, problematic mod's that not work in merge...

I normally use near 200 mod's, some times up to 220 and sometimes down to 180.

I have a 4 years old machine and i can't use HD textures or High poly mesh.

I make a lot of test with mod's from this website and every month remove mod's, add mod's and start a new game. Some times i play 2 or 3 month's with the same game, but is strange.

34 minutes ago, GenioMaestro said:

Never use 255 mod's. The game need the last slot FF==255 for the autogeneration of Bandits, Forsworns, created weapons, armors, enchantements... When you see a bandit open te console and click over it. Look their ID and you can see FF. Same when you craft armors or weapons. Drop it in the floor, open the console and click over it. The code start again with FF.

Any ESP that you put in 255 are automatically ignored by the game and replaced by the autogenerator plugin.

And some mod need the slot 254, like bashed patch, perkus maximus, Skyre... Then, your REAL maximun number of plugins is 253. Is recomended low this limit to 250 and left 3 slot for small aditions, forgoted patch's, problematic mod's that not work in merge...

I normally use near 200 mod's, some times up to 220 and sometimes down to 180.

I have a 4 years old machine and i can't use HD textures or High poly mesh.

I make a lot of test with mod's from this website and every month remove mod's, add mod's and start a new game. Some times i play 2 or 3 month's with the same game, but is strange.

exactly, all Beth games have a maximum limit, what I have displayed, of course includes the existing DLCs.
any ESP\ESM except Skyrim ESM, is a slot (mod).
when people mods to combine into an ESP, then it still stays a maximum of 254. :classic_smile:

18 hours ago, Warlock3000 said:

Just a little over 200... merged some outfits and animation objects with TES5Edit, too...

Crashes have become really rare for me ever since I started using Crash Fixes, ENB(oost), and regularly cleaning my saves with Save game script cleaner or Fallrim Tools... it's pretty amazing...

i think almost all of us use the save cleaner..and i never play without crash fixes 

• 2 weeks later...

253 esm/esp's probably around 450 downloaded mods merged and running + mods of mods and SE conversions, 

xedit cleaning/conflict solving. 

script edit's 

custom textures, skins, tats.

10-12 skse plugins,

enb (+ custom tweeks ) and reshade

at least 100 ini tweaks.

bashed patch

counting every individual modification.......no idea at all, 10,000+at a guess.

still have room for a few more. 

A running mod count is extremely tricky for me to actually calculate i don't understand the question.

eg. Do you count say book of silence as 1 mod or hundreds? as it makes hundreds of individual modifications.

when i merge 2 mods is that 1 mod or 3? 2 for the esp's and 1 for the merge?

is a modified ini 1 mod or do you count every single modificaton to the file.

skse introduces a number of extra functions do we count all of them or only the functions that are called? 

i have a habit of over thinking things. 

Around 300 with some very big mods in terms of contents packed together- SBB, Vigilant, Falskaar, AHO, Summerset Isle, World of Rudra, Grey Cowl of Nocturnal, Maids II-Deception, Conan Hyborian Age , Darkend, Orsinium- Land of the Orcs, Lost Colony of Akavir, The Wheels of Lull + a few more and still might try to pack more with merges. 300 hours on my current character and still running smooth-ish. I still got a spot on the Whiterun plains that ctds once in awhile. Running this all on a pos pc and still looks/plays pretty good. Honestly, TESVEdit is fucking awesome!! Thank you Zilav and Sharlikran.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, Alter Native said:

Mod =/= .esp file, also you can (technically) merge as many as you want.

This means the hard limit is 425, one mod more and your cpu is going to melt.

That is a non sequitur. The second sentence does not follow logically from the first.

You have come up with 425 but not explained where or why it is that number.

I'm currently at about 230 plug-ins and 310 mods but that's because I'm doing something. Usually I have about 50 less in both categories.

I always have mods up to FE.  Then I add a new one and have to agonize over what to remove, or build another merged patch.

My mod organizer list is almost 900 now and my skyrim folder (counting mod organizer) is well over 400 gigs, but a lot of that includes photo and video editing stuff.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, Alter Native said:

Mod =/= .esp file, also you can (technically) merge as many as you want.

This means the hard limit is 425, one mod more and your cpu is going to melt.

Are you saying ENB, Reshade / sweetfx, skse and plugins , texture over wrights, and ini tweaks are not mod's 

skyrim.esm uses 00 address so 254 is esm/esp upper address limit.

the only limit is your hardware, skill and knowledge before you Kurrupt your saves, infinite load screen, ctd or create so much script lag game play becomes impossible.

there is no mod limit at all.

11 hours ago, nemocdt said:

Are you saying ENB, Reshade / sweetfx, skse and plugins , texture over wrights, and ini tweaks are not mod's 

skyrim.esm uses 00 address so 254 is esm/esp upper address limit.

Did you read my post before quoting it? It clearly says "mod =/= .esp file". Btw. an ini tweak is indeed not a mod, it's a settings change.

14 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

That is a non sequitur. The second sentence does not follow logically from the first.

You have come up with 425 but not explained where or why it is that number.

I'm currently at about 230 plug-ins and 310 mods but that's because I'm doing something. Usually I have about 50 less in both categories.

I can't believe people are still getting upset about "my total random hard limit". My statement is so obviously and trivially wrong, that I'd never thought people would take it seriously in the first place... 

But of course it's the internet.

The question "how many mods are too much?", can not be answered in the first place. That means a limit of 425 is as good as any other limit.

24 minutes ago, Alter Native said:

an ini tweak is indeed not a mod, it's a settings change.

Which 'modifies' an ini file. And if one downloads it from, say, Nexus, and installs it via, say, NMM is it still not a mod?

I can't believe people are still getting upset about "my total random hard limit". My statement is so obviously and trivially wrong, that I'd never thought people would take it seriously in the first place... 

I can't believe people post absolute rubbish just because they have nothing sensible to offer. But there again, this is the Internet.

The question "how many mods are too much?", can not be answered in the first place. That means a limit of 425 is as good as any other limit.

First, how do you know the question cannot be answered? The fact that you don't know the answer does not mean that there is no answer. The limit for plug-ins exists and is determined by hexadecimal (via Beth's coding). Can you guarantee that hex or something else doesn't play a part in the number of mods allowed? Also, everyone is assuming the limit would be in Skyrim but there could be a limit encoded in NMM/MO or LOOT for instance.

Second, once again your second sentence does not follow logically from the first. In fact your second sentence is totally devoid of logic. Not knowing the answer to something or something not having an answer does not mean one can just pluck an answer from thin air.

1 hour ago, Alter Native said:

Did you read my post before quoting it? It clearly says "mod =/= .esp file".

Absolute garbage, so skse and enb are not a mods. 

i disagree. and reading your post then esm and esi's are not either.  ?

Did you read my post before quoting it?

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at my Mord Organizer: I have 162 active ESP/ESM in the list of 377 (lots of them are merged) and I have total of 621 items in the mod list, probably about 10 of them are disabled and ~20 are just empty folders I made to use as separators. I do have a lot of armor mods and their bodyslide sliders as two separate mods so that inflates the number a bit.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:35 PM, winny257 said:

cough cough, no offense, the maximum limit are 255 ESP \ ESM files!
425 active mods, and the game would not even start. :classic_wink:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/351660338694984268/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/73923185

Not really right. Mods don't need an esp or esm. Many skse-plugins, texture-overhauls, mesh-improvements and NPC overhauls work without any esp. Regarding to my NMM I have 699 mods installed and all are aktive........., but I merged more then 400 together. Therfore the absolut esp/esm count is 202

13 minutes ago, Harvald said:

Not really right. Mods don't need an esp or esm. Many skse-plugins, texture-overhauls, mesh-improvements and NPC overhauls work without any esp. Regarding to my NMM I have 699 mods installed and all are aktive........., but I merged more then 400 together. Therfore the absolut esp/esm count is 202

yes that I know, I have also described on the first page.
better would be another thread title *how big is your game GB* :classic_wink:

Archived