[Request] Unkillable / Essential PC

I'm looking for a very simple mod that doesn't allow your HP to drop below 1%. Just that. I'm using a very punishing combat setup where just a hit can kill me from 50-60% hp and it's making it really hard for my Defeat to kick in before I die. I know about the "tim" console command, but it makes it so your HP can't drop below 25% and I'd really rather set my Defeat to kick in below that, to a hit that would certainly finish me.

13 minutes ago, Redswift said:

How do I do that? Like I said, I know about tim, but it doesn't work for what I want.

1) access the console using the tilde (~) key on an English keyboard (if not an English keyboard go to UESP skyrim, type Skyrim:console in the search box and the first thing you come to should be what codes are where on a non-English keyboard).

2) type in:

player.setessential 1

and that should be it. To reverse this do the same thing but type in player.setessential 0.

9 hours ago, Psalam said:

1) access the console using the tilde (~) key on an English keyboard (if not an English keyboard go to UESP skyrim, type Skyrim:console in the search box and the first thing you come to should be what codes are where on a non-English keyboard).

2) type in:

player.setessential 1

and that should be it. To reverse this do the same thing but type in player.setessential 0.

That doesn't work, I don't think it's a valid command. Console returns error saying that's not a valid actor, or something along those lines.

Edit: After testing it in-game, despite the error, it does kinda work. The player gets knocked down without being finished off, but never gets back up and Defeat doesn't kick in.

2 hours ago, Redswift said:

That doesn't work, I don't think it's a valid command. Console returns error saying that's not a valid actor, or something along those lines.

Edit: After testing it in-game, despite the error, it does kinda work. The player gets knocked down without being finished off, but never gets back up and Defeat doesn't kick in.

Sorry, I have never wanted  to do this but I have made my NPCs essential in this manner. You are correct that it is not supposed to work for a player (after doing a little more research). What about tim (also console command-toggle immortal mode). It should get you what you're looking for (and avoiding adding unnecessary mods is always a good thing. From what I have seen this will make it impossible for you to die although you can still be decapitated and run around headless (I kid you not. Evidently this is where player.setessential 1 helps).

tim

Toge immortal mode

Everything behaves as normal except you cannot die as a result of being reduced to 0 health. You can only use this on yourself. If you are decapitated or bitten and thrown by a dragon while using this, it can have some quite frustrating results (e.g. you will walk around with your head cut off).[verification needed — see talk page] These effects can be avoided by setting the character as essential.
59 minutes ago, Psalam said:

Sorry, I have never wanted  to do this but I have made my NPCs essential in this manner. You are correct that it is not supposed to work for a player (after doing a little more research). What about tim (also console command-toggle immortal mode). It should get you what you're looking for (and avoiding adding unnecessary mods is always a good thing. From what I have seen this will make it impossible for you to die although you can still be decapitated and run around headless (I kid you not. Evidently this is where player.setessential 1 helps).

tim

Toge immortal mode

Everything behaves as normal except you cannot die as a result of being reduced to 0 health. You can only use this on yourself. If you are decapitated or bitten and thrown by a dragon while using this, it can have some quite frustrating results (e.g. you will walk around with your head cut off).[verification needed — see talk page] These effects can be avoided by setting the character as essential.

I appreciate it, but come on guys, read my posts :P. Tim works fine but it doesn't allow your hp to drop below 25% and I don't want to set my defeat to kick in that high.

54 minutes ago, thesteve812 said:

I saw this, and I was considering using it, but it has some weird ghost functionalities too, and I don't know how much I can trust its scripting. Has it caused any problems for you?

8 minutes ago, Redswift said:

I appreciate it, but come on guys, read my posts :P. Tim works fine but it doesn't allow your hp to drop below 25% and I don't want to set my defeat to kick in that high.

I saw this, and I was considering using it, but it has some weird ghost functionalities too, and I don't know how much I can trust its scripting. Has it caused any problems for you?

I said I don't normally go this route. However, of the 6 sources on "tim" that I found three were vague (something like won't let you die) but the other three were unanimous in specifically stating that you won't die when you hp reach 0 (not 25%).

the game plays normally, except you do not die if your health reaches 0

That is copied from Fandom and UESPWiki Skyrim has the exact same wording. I'm sorry if that is not explicit enough or enough research to suit (Google search is wonderful - makes me glad that the search engine here on LL was recently upgraded)!

35 minutes ago, Psalam said:

I said I don't normally go this route. However, of the 6 sources on "tim" that I found three were vague (something like won't let you die) but the other three were unanimous in specifically stating that you won't die when you hp reach 0 (not 25%).

the game plays normally, except you do not die if your health reaches 0

That is copied from Fandom and UESPWiki Skyrim has the exact same wording. I'm sorry if that is not explicit enough or enough research to suit (Google search is wonderful - makes me glad that the search engine here on LL was recently upgraded)!

I tested it yesterday, first thing, before I posted this. It's 25% :)

14 minutes ago, thesteve812 said:

I use the essential death only option. Somebody on LL posted it as DA alternative. I've been using it since September 2017 and haven't had any problems.

Edit-

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

I am trying to do a similar set up as OP, but I didn't have much luck with SM Essential Player either. Combat seems to stop as PC health drops to zero, and everyone just stands around for a while.

TIM is weird. I think it blocks full damage of the hit that would kill you, so if you have low health, and get hit by a very strong attack that exceed your max health you will actually take no damage at all.

23 minutes ago, afa said:

I am trying to do a similar set up as OP, but I didn't have much luck with SM Essential Player either. Combat seems to stop as PC health drops to zero, and everyone just stands around for a while.

TIM is weird. I think it blocks full damage of the hit that would kill you, so if you have low health, and get hit by a very strong attack that exceed your max health you will actually take no damage at all.

Damn.. Anyone with any modding knowledge, is it hard to script a mod from scratch that doesn't allow you to drop below 1hp?

Oh yea, for the setessential command, it doesn't work like player.setessential.

I think the console command should be

setessential 7 1

setessential = command

7 = base id of player character

1 = turn it on (0 to turn it off)

I don't remember exactly why that doesn't work for me (with defeat), but depending on your needs it might work for you. Have some health potion handy, it is possible that PC won't get back up and be stuck in bleedout forever, but chugging a health potion should fix the soft lock. Get a disable kill move mod as well just in case (also good to have if you want to try the TIM route again)

2 hours ago, afa said:

Oh yea, for the setessential command, it doesn't work like player.setessential.

I think the console command should be

setessential 7 1

setessential = command

7 = base id of player character

1 = turn it on (0 to turn it off)

I don't remember exactly why that doesn't work for me (with defeat), but depending on your needs it might work for you. Have some health potion handy, it is possible that PC won't get back up and be stuck in bleedout forever, but chugging a health potion should fix the soft lock. Get a disable kill move mod as well just in case (also good to have if you want to try the TIM route again)

The command is valid, but after you get knocked down, you can't get back up. Using a potion does nothing.

Archived