SKSE64 Speculation and Safe-Space Thread

pipdude

I have several unfinished projects that just cannot work without some of the features SKSE provided.

So, if someone thinks that SKSE is not needed, that you just need to find some "workaround", then that person is either ignorant or inexperienced when it comes to Papyrus and related stuff.

What the fuck are these ppl thinking? that SKSE was just some fancy nerdy tool that noone really needed? really???

The only reason you need SKSE is because it allows additional hooks such as UI, key bindings and as well as get______ functions. Technically, you can do the get______ functions in Papyrus if you know what to look for.

Ignorant? Perhaps but if you can't, then you're not a modder really.

Fair enough, i guess i am not a modder - certainly not here on LL, where i haven't released a single mod yet.

Anyway, maybe you could then help me, where in vanilla Papyrus can i find alternatives for the functionality provided by the following SKSE objects:

Game Script

Math Script

ModEvent Script

NetImmerse Script

Outfit Script

StringUtil Script

WornObject Script

...and i could go on, this list is FAR from complete (you can basically add every SKSE script object - each of them will have something that either has no alternative in vanilla papyrus, or the alternative is so impractical to the point of being useless).

But i guess you'd want me to pick one to prove your point, right?

Well, ok then, give me vanilla papyrus alternative to any function provided by NetImmerse Script - i even let you pick one yourself.

I have several unfinished projects that just cannot work without some of the features SKSE provided.

So, if someone thinks that SKSE is not needed, that you just need to find some "workaround", then that person is either ignorant or inexperienced when it comes to Papyrus and related stuff.

What the fuck are these ppl thinking? that SKSE was just some fancy nerdy tool that noone really needed? really???

The only reason you need SKSE is because it allows additional hooks such as UI, key bindings and as well as get______ functions. Technically, you can do the get______ functions in Papyrus if you know what to look for.

Ignorant? Perhaps but if you can't, then you're not a modder really.

enderal require skse, does that mean the ones who made it are ignorant?

a lot of the mods here require skse, they are all ignorants too?

in selene kate mcm menu, you can pick another hair, eye color, whatever

have edit it when i gave it to sofia

it replace headpart x with y, textureset x with y, whatever, then regenerate the head with a function add by skse

how do you do that without that function?

or better, how do you replace the npc head nif in game? (more performance friendly to load a head nif, than to generate an edited npc head)

Also SKSE is a "known" so when an experienced  modder adds it's functions to a mod, they know what to expect, what will work and what will not. Plus they know that part b fits into slot 5 and part c should never go into slot 7. This comfort level makes modding a wee bit easier. I am in awe of the work that goes into some of the mods and I can't blame them a bit for wanting a SKSE64 that works very closely to the older version.

Why are you making a mod with impossible features is my question. Basically, because you decided to make mods that need SKSE features for SSE, we all absolutely need SKSE for SSE. I mean, SKSE64 would be amazing but we don't have it and we might not get it at all.

So giving people crap who have accepted that and decided to go on without it and push the boundaries of modding and say FUCK IT to SKSE and make mods they know will work on SSE, is just dumb.

We don't need SKSE. We want it. Big difference. Modding is a choice.

Agreed. Modding is a choice. You choose what you want to make and create. You choose what comes to the lovers and nexus. Everything is based off of choice. We want the script extender because we could do more things with modding, but we don't need it. As you see we're trying to find work arounds and little by little weare achieving that goal. 

i think the only reason i like skse it to use HDT .the other mods that uses it just makes it respond slowly  with an overloaded papyrus script

That's what I miss is the HDT too. I want my jiggy back.. However, I've been working on it slowly. The older version of CHSBHC works pretty well in SSE. However, it needs a lot of changes in order to get it to fully functional status. We've got the breasts working, but not the butt. It also requires Cherryhotelings body to get the tees to jiggy. Since they apparently are locked with the animation. If you're interested in what I'm doing. Check out the CHSBHC tread I've created. MAybe  you can give some input on things to try. 

Part of my project is to get the bones from Groovtama on the genies and allow them to animate again. I'm working on that part too. However, since there are so many tiny bones in Groovtama's skelly. Working on the Genie's is going to take me some time. I've started setting up the rig for Blendz, but it's one of those things I've got to build from scratch. Using the uunp body for now which allows for the genie's mesh to animate. All I have to do after that is get the bodies to attach and create the animations for the genies. But getting to the animation part is last on my nog since I'm still at step one at attaching the skelly. 

Funny how so many people see HDT as the prime reason for needing SKSE64. In fact, HDT has almost nothing to do with SKSE. Yes, it uses its dll loading mechanism, but there are three different dll loaders out there for SE - any of them could be used for hooking into the executable. The far bigger problem is finding someone to rewrite the HDT plugin for SE, since Hydrogen doesn't seem to be around anymore. Modders of that skill level are a rare breed, and we can be thankful if one of them blesses us with their attention.

Anyway, what I'm personally missing most is the following (in that order):

1. the GetName and SetName functions in the Form class

2. SkyUI's MCM functionality

3. detecting key presses (SKSE's Input class)

4. NetImmerse Override (this is what powers RaceMenu)

5. UILIB (text and list input functions used by SkyUI)

Funny how so many people see HDT as the prime reason for needing SKSE64. In fact, HDT has almost nothing to do with SKSE. Yes, it uses its dll loading mechanism, but there are three different dll loaders out there for SE - any of them could be used for hooking into the executable. The far bigger problem is finding someone to rewrite the HDT plugin for SE, since Hydrogen doesn't seem to be around anymore. Modders of that skill level are a rare breed, and we can be thankful if one of them blesses us with their attention.

Anyway, what I'm personally missing most is the following (in that order):

1. the GetName and SetName functions in the Form class

2. SkyUI's MCM functionality

3. detecting key presses (SKSE's Input class)

4. NetImmerse Override (this is what powers RaceMenu)

5. UILIB (text and list input functions used by SkyUI)

Are you serious?... HDT doesn't require SKSE? Because if that is the true then converting wouldn't be that hard. We could just use the achievement dll or maybe ask Meh321 to convert his Dll plug to allow us to use it for HDT. 

However, hydro is active. Why don't you ask her?

Are you serious?... HDT doesn't require SKSE? Because if that is the true then converting wouldn't be that hard. We could just use the achievement dll or maybe ask Meh321 to convert his Dll plug to allow us to use it for HDT. 

Converting would require finding the code points that HDT uses in the SE executable again. That's reverse engineering territory, and that is hard. HDT has to be rewritten to use Meh321's DLL loader (after converting it to 64-bit and finding the new hooks), not the other way around. That would have to be done by Hydro, *if* she's interested and owns a copy of SE, of course.

As you can see in my personal "most wanted" list above, HDT isn't my top priority. Why don't you ask? ;)

Converting would require finding the code points that HDT uses in the SE executable again. That's reverse engineering territory, and that is hard. HDT has to be rewritten to use Meh321's DLL loader (after converting it to 64-bit and finding the new hooks), not the other way around. That would have to be done by Hydro, *if* she's interested and owns a copy of SE, of course.

As you can see in my personal "most wanted" list above, HDT isn't my top priority. Why don't you ask? ;)

What is your Top Priority? Risky question of the thread! We's knows. Oh, boy. XD I've figured that would be the case. The reverse engineering part. I'm not going that route. I'm looking into more animation and bone creation. Doing it little by little I recently got CHSBHC's Skelly attached to the mesh, but I need to figure out how to get it setup properly for animation. I'm working with Blends to make the magic. I'll work with Groovtama's next for the genies. That's a lot of bones however. 

Asking hydro some questions. We'll see if she responds. 

While I can understand the frustration I would not hold my hopes up. If we see no further announcement beginning of next year but one year later than there is a high chance that the next Elders Scroll Game is close (if not even released). I have a complete different mod setup at the moment and I miss HDT the most. I also find myself going to 32bit Skyrim more often even with it's limitations. If some SKSE is stable enough to use 2019 how many modders will still be interested after 3 years ? Only if no single-player (i.e. moddable) game is released. I can imagine that SE is completely skipped. OTOH there is even quite some mod activity on the older scroll series, so it's difficult to estimate...

At last - hints of progress! It will take time to get there but we know now it is ON.ITS.WAY! 

I had a feeling we might see progress as my son told me the new SKSE for Fallout4 had just been released (or whatever the SKSE is, there, as I don't play the game).

My thanks to the SKSE team for progress!

[–]NotScrollsApparently 3 points

8 hours ago 

It's alive!

Is there an estimate of how far along the alpha is compared to old SKSE? I imagine there's a big difference between this being just the foundation, or a feature complete build with most hooks finished.

[–]inmundano 12 points

8 hours ago 

It is not a "foundation", it is the real thing.

Not implemented:

• the TintTextureResolution thing (heavyly modified code there)
  • the diagnostics. They are not that useful now since bethesda implemented on their own which mods are missing on a save.
  • memory -> that stuff is probably obsolete by now.

Implemented: the rest (unless I missed something). All papyrus functions of 1.7.3, the scaleform functions, the plugin support, the cosave needed for the specific skse events, the translations feature, the clear invalid registrations, the minidumps on crash, and I dunno if I'm forgetting something.

[–]NotScrollsApparently 4 points

6 hours ago 

So if I'm understanding you correctly, it's pretty much finished and this is just the testing phase?

[–]inmundano 3 points

6 hours ago 

Something like that. It needs to be tested outside development team. There may be bugs that cannot be noticed without the real world tests that modders can do.

Quoting from the main ongoing reddit thread, it would appear that notwithstanding their caution, development of SKSE64 is very far advanced.

Yeah from the reddit post it looks like SKYUI 5.1 works now with only a minor tweak needed and so does the MCM menu.  Definitely looking forward to seeing some reports from mod authors about how many things work (or not) and how much work they have to do to convert things.

Archived