Blender 2.78a Importing NIF files directly

Hi

So I finally took the step, downloaded bodyslide outfit studio before Xmas. Creation Kit in Xmas, and now the Blender 2.78. 6 years after the first release of Skyrim :cool:

I'm a bit confused. I know that earlier versions of Blender couldnt load nif files, Only obj files. But now I see there's something called blender_nif_plugin. I downloaded that  one, followed the installation instructions from here: http://niftools.org/projects/plugins/blender_nif_plugin/docs/user/install.html

But I hit the wall at step 7. That box is simply not in my programs list to tick off.

So what is wrong? Was this only supported by older versions of Blender or Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to go the long way through nifscope?

Thanks in advance  :shy: 

There isn't a working Nif plugin for Blender 2.7x. All the new plugins are development level and throw errors. Believe me, I have tried. The only working Nif plugin is the old one for Blender 2.49b.

Thanks for your reply :) I ended up with nifscope.

Now I just needto find out how deal with this software beast.

Asta2010, on 10 Jan 2017 - 1:01 PM, said:

But I hit the wall at step 7. That box is simply not in my programs list to tick off.

Manually install it.

Then you'll see the tick box.

So what is wrong? Was this only supported by older versions of Blender or Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to go the long way through nifscope?

Works with 2.78a.

There isn't a working Nif plugin for Blender 2.7x.  All the new plugins are development level and throw errors.  Believe me, I have tried.  The only working Nif plugin is the old one for Blender 2.49b. 

Might want to check that script out. 

Though depends on your needs?

It works to import multiple nitrishapes in one nif, uv's, texture file path (sort of)

and better yet, for some of us  ^_^>> 

imports skin weights

When i say works i did quite a few tests and they all passed so far.

The export for that latest script is not working.

But there are ways around that depending on what you are trying to do.

Will be trying out Antons toolset (Nexus) more soon.

Looking promising good so far that latest blender can be used for maybe most everything.

Maybe need a few tweak scripts yet?  Maybe not.

But need to do more checking to be sure.

Mentionning all this in detail, because more blender users around here is prbly a good thing ^_^

I have been trying to do this same thing.  Is blender_nif_plugin-2.6.0a0.dev4-31-05-2016.zip the one to use?  How do you do the manual install?

Almost.  Use more recent one.

Manual - unzip to desktop.

Go into unzipped folder - copy the entire "io_scene_nif" folder

nav to your blender installtion dir, nav through subfolders >2.78\script\addons\  and there you will see all kinds of io* folders

paste it there.

openblender, like in step 7 above, and now you should see option to activate.

Should be good to go.

I have never had a problem using those instructions they have always worked for when adding many different plugins to blender.

Tested and it worked like a charm except on one armor piece but that piece was junk before because of the way that person made it and all of the tools have errors when trying to open the nif. But I tested with a bod and armor file and both loaded up just fine.

*Edit 

Also tested with fallout 3/NV and oblivion nifs all loaded up fine.

post-25667-0-20925500-1484474231_thumb.jpgpost-25667-0-08943100-1484474257_thumb.jpg

Might want to check that script out. 

Though depends on your needs?

It works to import multiple nitrishapes in one nif, uv's, texture file path (sort of)

and better yet, for some of us  ^_^>> 

imports skin weights

When i say works i did quite a few tests and they all passed so far.

The export for that latest script is not working.

But there are ways around that depending on what you are trying to do.

Will be trying out Antons toolset (Nexus) more soon.

Looking promising good so far that latest blender can be used for maybe most everything.

Maybe need a few tweak scripts yet?  Maybe not.

But need to do more checking to be sure.

Mentionning all this in detail, because more blender users around here is prbly a good thing ^_^

Oh, I have definitely checked that script out.  Actually I have gone a bit further:

By using the four fix scripts found in this thread, I have a working export from Blender 2.78a.  Read the posts by Lakotas (me) to explain what I did to make it work.  The only problem is that the plugin won't load in Blender with the fixes.  I have had to load the original plugin and then copy in the fixed scripts.  Maybe someone here can ascertain what is causing that problem. 

I have been using Anton's tools set for more than a year now.  They work very well.  All of my animations are made with his bone key export script; although most here have no interest in my animations. ;)

I have never had a problem using those instructions they have always worked for when adding many different plugins to blender.

Lucky you :D

Not sure why it didn't work for me either like OP.  But manual install doesn't lose very often  ^_^

Good to hear other game nifs worked as well.

By using the four fix scripts found in this thread, I have a working export from Blender 2.78a.  Read the posts by Lakotas (me) to explain what I did to make it work. 

Lakotas, you have gone a bit further.  :D

The only problem is that the plugin won't load in Blender with the fixes.  I have had to load the original plugin and then copy in the fixed scripts.  Maybe someone here can ascertain what is causing that problem. 

Great that you found a workable way.

At this point am using FBX export and switching to Outfit Studio and import/updating the shape with FBX (includes weights).

Maybe not as handy as one click export, but OS is kind of hub for outfits, so it does pretty fast.

I have been using Anton's tools set for more than a year now.  They work very well.  All of my animations are made with his bone key export script; although most here have no interest in my animations. ;)

Niche animators are verrrry important ^_^ 

Did you have to update the rig?  One of the next things am going to be checking.

Thanks again for the help, I can now import nifs into Blender 2.78.  Now I need to read some tutorials so I can figure out what to do next :shy:

Welcome ^_^

Hope you have an project in mind that is inspiring you (to get through all that initial stuff, like uv's in blender)  :lol:

Was wondering why your posts were coming up mostly blank so I turned my blocker off and was like aww that's why they are another person that uses color fonts I have my blocker set up to remove color fonts as I find them annoying and many times hard to read. Turns blocker back on.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to do this same thing.  Is blender_nif_plugin-2.6.0a0.dev4-31-05-2016.zip the one to use?  How do you do the manual install?

Almost.  Use more recent one.

Manual - unzip to desktop.

Go into unzipped folder - copy the entire "io_scene_nif" folder

nav to your blender installtion dir, nav through subfolders >2.78\script\addons\  and there you will see all kinds of io* folders

paste it there.

openblender, like in step 7 above, and now you should see option to activate.

Should be good to go.

Splendid :) Worked!

Thanks for the steps :)

I used the popular method in this thread to add the import/export and got a lot of failure importing custom meshes. Blender threw a lot of errors. It wouldn't be a big deal to use the 2.49 version unless the interface is largely different. I started using Blender on 2.65a.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't tested it but you could probably load a nif into outfit studios delete the bone nodes out export it and then load it into blender that way and after you are done with whatever you are doing you can export it back out and reload it back into outfit studios for reboning.

Just tested. Bone nodes in cause traceback errors. Deleting them out remvoed those errors but you will still get hit with more trace back errors dealing with textures. Deleted out the BSLightingShaderProperty branches from the armor and tried again. No errors and it exported everything in the nif just fine minus the DismemberPartitions NiSkinData and NiSkinPartition which causes outfit studios to whine cry and then crash

Best just to load the outfit into outfit studios and export the pieces/part you need to modify out in .OBJ format then load them into blender and do your magic there then export them back out and load them back into the same nif you just exported them out of just make sure you delete the old pieces out. Once all parts are back in export it and then start a new project pick the nif and reweight paint those parts and then redo the texture paths.

The nice thing about exporting a piece out of outfit studios in this way is that the outfit retains it's size. Otherwise if you do it using nifskope the outfit will become big enough for the jolly green giant to wear and will require you to try to scale it down to the correct size.

Archived