Does Your Age Affect What Games You Play ?

Dee383

As You Get Older Do You Find That You Now Play Games That You Would Never Have Played When You Were Younger ?

I Would Have Never Played Sims Games Or Games Like Cities Skylines ,When I Was Younger I Only Played First Or Third

Person Shooters & Driving/Racing Games ....

I still play Spy Fox, Freddie Fish, Put Put, Pajama Sam, Mario Party, etc.

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you!

I'll be a 50 year old man and still watch cartoons! Age is but a number that society dictates as to what we can and cannot do. What is normal and what is wrong.

Nope, I'm fairly consistent with my type of games. However, I do not play as much FPS as I used to do in the past, such as Counter-Strike etc etc.

At least not online/competitive. But I absolutely still love games such as Painkiller, Half-Life, AvP, etc etc.

Story driven games, I guess we can call it.

So RPG is also high on the list, and since I have a steering wheel (G27), Racing games is still played on a daily basis.

Another vote for the nay camp.

I used to play a lot of adventures back in the day but that was mainly because they were better back then. Parsers (mouse clicks on keywords were already a step in the wrong direction but today it's even worse, they are just clicker games), nice cartooney and colorful VGA graphics, actual puzzles that made your brain hurt, silly humor and absurd stories, you don't find that in most adventures today.

Still playing strategy games, RTS, RPGs, sport career games, and single player shooters with about the same ratio as I always did. I like to mix it up but I don't play multiplayer games. Other people usually just get in the way of me having fun, lol. :P

And a few MMORPG experiences like Ultima Online or Tibia were more than enough for a lifetime... I sometimes play online chess though.

Age has probably no impact on imagination during a gameplay as such but on the intensity, the depth of what is just imagined for still unknown. As a little girl I've spent months as a barmaid in Desele's House of Earthly Delights in Vvardenfell, tanned fresh meat from afar, eventually fuckin' around with the not really handsome NPC boys 24/7. Today I'd just say 'Sorry babe, no sex. Just cleaned the bar. Get you anything else? An arrow in the knee, a milk shake or something?...' and leave to the Ashlands in the North with flying colors. Methinks we simply don't imagine memories, we recall them. Blessed the ones that have no such own memories yet. All the intense imagination to them.

I think the answers have been too oriented towards the thought that being older doesn't mean we don't/can't play games targetting a younger audience. But my view on this is: yes, your age certainly determines the games you play, or at the very least, your level apretiation of such games.

It's all about what you're looking for and what they offer, and the same applies to everything. A kid and an adult watch a movie, one laughs harder at the fart jokes, one laughs harder at the sex jokes, they can both find it funny, but the level of apretiation is likely to be different due to novelty and experience. You might like a simple game like Angry Birds a lot more when you're young, and be looking for challenging strategy games when you're older, just due to experiencing fatigue from previous now "boring" games.

Personal tastes develop, you're not born with them, and so they change. That's why food and fashion culture shock is a thing.

Nope. Age doesn't matter in my case. Except now I'm better at understanding the basics of any game, when I was a kid I blindly shanked everyone in Morrowind right from the start. That didn't go very well.

I'll definitely 360 noscope some little teenage shits when I'm 70. xXx69IforgotMyMedicine420xXx

hi fellow gamer.. my answer is no.. the games i play depends, actually.. to what i want to play.. or to what sparked my interest..

but.. the games i tend to avoid playing all the time are MOBA games.. sure, i play them occasionally.. but never in most times.. because the people there are more... aggressive.. 

and oh yeah.. the guy above ( NickNozownik ) says is true.. i agree with him saying that age does not matter in playing a good video game :)

Yeah yeah... I'm sure you'll still be playing first person shooters and stuff when you're over 70... even competing against younglings with your lightning reflexes and superior eyesight... just don't forget to take your warfarin... :D

Ha. through playing on the PC, the reflexes remain fit!  ;)  :) 

and believe me, I also play MMOs in the PVP mode and I've to wallop so many young guy. (Defeated).  :lol:  :P  ;)

I'm over 50, been gaming on pcs since the early 80's.

I can honestly say with experience to back it, that age has had no effect on what games I prefer to play.   I still have the same tastes in games.

I CAN say though, that age has had a huge effect on HOW I play the games.   I find that the older I've got, I am calmer, more patient, use more strategy, and don't put up with as much.  ;)

I also find it funny that as a younger person, I didn't think older people would do good at gaming, or even played.   Now that I AM older, I find that is as far from the truth as possible, but a lot of younger people seem to still think that, like I did.   Reflexes do diminish, but experience gives wisdom, which can be used instead.  

I remember a couple years ago, walking up on two guys playing Magic The Gathering, looked to be late teens.  I stopped to watch, because I love that game.  At first they treated me as a typical old person, that probably didn't have a clue what they were doing.   Then I started offering them some tips and tricks, and they were shocked that I actually knew more than they did about the game.   :D

I think the answers have been too oriented towards the thought that being older doesn't mean we don't/can't play games targetting a younger audience. But my view on this is: yes, your age certainly determines the games you play, or at the very least, your level apretiation of such games.

It Seems That Jerok Was One Of Two People Who Actually Read The Topic Title And My Post ...

People answered differently because it's kind of a vague question. Age alone doesn't really say much about a person, but people learn new things, they acquire new tastes and leave some of old ones behind as they grow up. Yet, their personality doesn't change all that much in their adulthood. In other words, some tastes change, while some others stays the same. I used to hate tomato sauce, for instance, I like it now. I've always hated Brussels sprout and I still hate it.

I am 69 years old this month and I love playing games all the beth games and mass effect I love open worlds where you can explore and find things ,before I retired at 65 my workmates most of them in there 20' and 30' would ask what I did at the weekend , if I said I played skyrim , they used to say what at your age , they did not understand that at my age I still feel the same about games as I did when I got my first ZX81, I think playing games like these keep's my mind sharp alltho my reactions are not as fast, I used to play on the hardest level now i play on easy and sometimes god mode :D

I am 61 and that is the first console that has ever appealed to me in terms of potential playability :D 

What I have always looked for in games since Ultima Underworld - The Stygian Abyss is an intelligent game that makes me think hopefully with a touch of humour.  Recently I have been enjoying Life is Strange :)

Archived