NPC Dialoge

Hello all,

I've been tinkering around with the idea of making a mod to create or expand a town in oblivion for a while now. I decided to start by making a strange inn that includes several mod races as NPCs. I was able to figure out how to make the building just fine but have run into trouble with the NPCs. Specifically I'm having trouble with the dialogue. I've been able to figure out just about everything else but I am just lost when I look at the dialogue box. Can anyone help me figure out how to use this thing?

Also I've noticed something kind of problematic. In a side project I've been attempting to make small edits to some mods. Basically I've got several mods that add quests, stores, ect. These are the reason I installed them. But they have made several custom races for their NPCs. Usually their just slight variants to basic races such as an imperial with a different face texture to give them makeup. While these work great for the NPC they aren't anything I'm ever going to play; and after installing several mods with similar effects I now have over thirty races that are just becoming obnoxious to scroll through during character creation. So I tried to edit them and turn off their playability. But when I do that the NPC loses all dialogue and gives the infamous "I have no greeting". At first I thought these mods were just somehow sensitive to change but after trying to make my inn I've made some very basic NPCs with standard dialogue. These all worked except the ones that use any of the non-playable races that I've created. They also give the "I have no greeting" but if I change them to any playable race they give the standard greetings and rumors. So why is it non-playable races lose all dialogue and does anyone know how to fix that?

As far as I know all the quests that contain greetings and rumors have the condition GetIsPlayableRace, so a non playable race cannot use any of these topics. You either have to make your race playable or add your own greetings and rumors that don't have that condition.

Akor

Okay so when you first responded I had no idea what you were talking about. But I have since found a tutorial ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_N3SyVy5Gg ) on making dialogues. So thanks, I now know what you mean and think that will help. But While I think I got the basics down now and could possibly figure things out from here, I have run into a different problem.

The new problem is with my construction set itself. I open the quest box to create a new dialogue, I create a new topic, But after the topic is created I try to create the response and my construction set crashes. I watched them do this in the tutorial. They click new in the response window and then type what they want said. But as soon as I hit new the whole thing crashes.

My construction set has always been a little twitchy. For example when I make an NPC if I click the "face" tab before I click the "Face Advanced" tab it crashes. So I have to ask if anyone knows what might be causing this? I'll never be able to create a dialogue if the darn thing crashes every time I try.

Best unistall first.

And you don't need CS 1.0 ( You only need it if you want to make lip sync  files )

Install CS 1.2  then CSE 51 

Then create the OBSE loader exe short cut  and add to the path   -Editor -oldinject

.... \Oblivion\obse_loader.exe" -Editor -oldinject

done.

Oh, I see what happened. Apparently I was missing the path change as well. When I read your link last time I must have miss read the part that says "yes also with a Steam Oblivion Version" I thought that the path change was just for the Steam version. Since I don't use steam I skipped it. That explains a lot of the trouble I've been having. I have dabbled a little more with the construction set since fixing this and have had no crashes. I still find the dialogues exceptionally confusing but I'm sure I'll figure them out with time and some good old fashioned trial and error. Thanks you both for the help.

You say you have no playable  NPC races.

To prevent the "No Greetings" you should use only your own dialogues.

Create a quest without the " It's playable race" flag.

And all your dialogues must use the quest.

Now create greetings to enable other dialogues. Greetings and Hellos are the only things you add in the vanilla categories.

With the Greetings you start other diologs.  When you talk the first time to a merchant NPC you can add your own Trade dialogue in the "Add Topic" window/box.

The same with other NPCs , the greeting can add topics about your town, rent a bed, a quest...

In all the topics and infos you add your quest.

I ran into this same problem. I was making a race that had it's own dialogue but also wanted to play as that race. The only way I could do it was to make another copy of the race and set it as non playable. 

As for editing existing mods. You can do that, BUT it's advisable to just make a new esp with the changes you make to to an existing mod. That way it keeps their mod intact without possible dirty edits from you. Then if something doesn't work, all you have to do is uncheck your new mod and start over. 

Dialogue is a bit confusing, but I promise you if you stick with it, you will have an "Aha!" moment where everything makes sense. The downside is that dialogue is one of those areas in modding where a person has to learn on their own. The reason there are no in depth, advanced tutorials is because the people that actually know how to create dialogue have spent countless hours through trial and error. Trying to explain it all in a tutorial would be a nightmare.  

Archived