Changing NPC clothes in the creation kit

I'm attempting to change the armor that Lydia wears in the creation kit. Sounds straight forward. However, I change Lydia's default outfit to something else and she still will return to her steel once we hit a loading screen in game. I have a strange suspicion that some quest has a script somewhere that is overriding the outfit that I change it to and defaulting to her original outfit. My knowledge of the creation kit is fairly limited so I don't know where I would find or how I would change such a script (if that's even the problem). Any help is appreciated.

Also don't suggest console commands, I would like to make it a mod so that it will be available on the xbox one.

Lydia wears the default housecarl outfit. If you only want to change Lydia, you don't want to change this. You need to make a new outfit record and then point Lydia's default outfit slot at that. If she is reverting to steel armor she is defaulting back to the housecarl outfit, so I don't know what you have changed, but it may be the wrong thing. Also, changing default outfits only works reliably in a new game, so mb you should test your changes there. mb what you have done works?

23 hours ago, thisisdovahbear said:

I'm attempting to change the armor that Lydia wears in the creation kit. Sounds straight forward. However, I change Lydia's default outfit to something else and she still will return to her steel once we hit a loading screen in game. I have a strange suspicion that some quest has a script somewhere that is overriding the outfit that I change it to and defaulting to her original outfit. My knowledge of the creation kit is fairly limited so I don't know where I would find or how I would change such a script (if that's even the problem). Any help is appreciated.

Also don't suggest console commands, I would like to make it a mod so that it will be available on the xbox one.

I have changed dozens of npc outfits in the CK. So far I have found that only Delphine and Eola have scripts attached to their outfits that prevent them from being changed. The housecarls however can all be given new outfits without issues. I have Lydia wearing a tank top with daisy dukes and high heels, and she never reverts to her vanilla outfit. Perhaps as Frankfranky suggested you should test your work in a new game if you don't want to use the console command "resetinventory". Outfits are baked into the save, as is that horrible Opposite Gender Animation tag. Your mod will require that players start a new game for the changes to take effect. There's no way around it.

If you use follower mods like AFT or EFF you may want to look into how they are affecting the outfits as well.

• 1 year later...

Well, in my case, I have been making a npc overhaul. I have changed the outfits of several followers and npcs, however, I fail to change mage and priest outfits, like Andurs, Erandur, Falion, Danica...even Heimskr the Annoying. When check them out in game, they all have their default outfits. ?

Archived