SE Compatibility Tracking (Apr 23)

9 hours ago, zarantha said:

This sounds like things were optimized to run better, so it is in theory a better experience under heavy load

It's the same code just compiled with a newer compiler - one major performance bottleneck of Skyrim is fact that the engine clock is aligned with the framerate - that's a matter of architecture, not the byte code.

@Erstam made an interesting comment in the SOS thread:

Spoiler

Personally I'm running a "best of both worlds" installation of Skyrim now: update to AE, get the CC freebies (or purchase the whole pack for 20 bucks), and then only restore SkyrimSE.exe, binkw64.dll, and interface\startmenu.swf from the 1.5.97 version. Nothing in the Creation Club seems to require anything from the 1.6.318 executable, so you can keep them AND all the current dll-based mods. Including SOS.

So have your cake and eat it too...

So after my experimentations with DepotDownload, I'm going to use it to grab the AE updated content and make a blended install.

Heh,

So, someone has released a mod on Nexus that completely enhances anyone's game with such an immersive experience, that it will leave you with warm feelings of enjoyment and complete serenity the likes of which can only be dreamed of....

What mod am I referring to ?

Well, of course I will share this amazing mod with you all...

Mudcrabs All Sound Like Beavis

So Beavis and Butthead fans rejoice ?

LOLOLOL

PS: According to the mod author, every time the mudcrabs come out of the ground, they all yell "I am Cornholio" LOLOL)

Edited by YojimboRatchet
On 11/15/2021 at 5:33 PM, zarantha said:

The reports (rumors?) of the scripts running faster intrigue me. This sounds like things were optimized to run better, so it is in theory a better experience under heavy load. Probably not much use for a light modder (or even a whole new problem in some ways), but a potential boon for heavily modded games. We shall have to wait and see.

The new stuff is cool too. I've been hoping for elytra animations for a while, now that it will be widely available and not paywall blocked, it might get done. eventually.

On the article, the workaround is to wait for 3 seconds.  That's very funny.  I used to do that when I didn't know how to script.  ?  To me, this doesn't sound like any improvement.  Maybe Bethesda felt that a certain instruction could be done in the background instead of waiting for other one to finish  BUT... if the old Skyrim didn't allow scripts to run simultaneously but now AE does, that's a big change.  But I still don't see that as an improvement to overall performance. 

Edited by CPL254
8 minutes ago, CPL254 said:

On the article, the workaround is to wait for 3 seconds.  That's very funny.  I used to do that when I didn't know how to script.  ?  To me, this doesn't sound like any improvement.  Maybe Bethesda felt that a certain instruction could be done in the background instead of waiting for other one to finish  BUT... if the old Skyrim didn't allow scripts to run simultaneously but now AE does, that's a big change.  But I still don't see that as an improvement to overall performance. 

Yeah, for now it's an unvalidated assumption, which is why I put rumors and wait and see in there. It's still an interesting data point, but it's way early days yet. We need more info that we won't get until more folks are using it and we've got an skse version out of the early alpha stages.

I won't claim to know scripting and programming, but it's interesting to watch and fun to speculate. :)

6 minutes ago, zarantha said:

Yeah, for now it's an unvalidated assumption, which is why I put rumors and wait and see in there. It's still an interesting data point, but it's way early days yet. We need more info that we won't get until more folks are using it and we've got an skse version out of the early alpha stages.

I won't claim to know scripting and programming, but it's interesting to watch and fun to speculate. :)

Absolutely !!   And I enjoyed your speculation.  ?

On 11/15/2021 at 8:33 PM, zarantha said:

The reports (rumors?) of the scripts running faster intrigue me. This sounds like things were optimized to run better, so it is in theory a better experience under heavy load. Probably not much use for a light modder (or even a whole new problem in some ways), but a potential boon for heavily modded games. We shall have to wait and see.

The new stuff is cool too. I've been hoping for elytra animations for a while, now that it will be widely available and not paywall blocked, it might get done. eventually.

You know, in the past I may have just laughed those reports off, but considering how Bethesda had the forethought to provide the SKSE team with support before the AE release, so that at least that would be ready for the incoming shitshow, maybe they did put in some effort into optimizing. I don't know how many of the CC mods used scripts, (if any of them did at all) but if there was even one or two in the list, it doesn't seem entirely out of the question that they'd try to minimize the strain those mods would put on the engine. I'm definitely interested though, I'm going to keep my modded set-up locked down until there's some confirmation on whether or not that's true, and also until the necessary mods catch up to AE.

Edited by ugrena
Had an after-thought I wanted to add.

I have checked steam several times and it dose not give me the ability to stop updates none what so ever.  So I get stuck with updates all the time but a quarter of my mods will not work. it dose not crash the game and it limits my armor selection and can not fast travel. When I try to deselect through NMM what they have forced on me it will not let me do so. So honestly I hope you guys and gals can fix these mods. Just went into SSE directory and deleted what I could find and reinstalled Skse 1.9.7. hope for the best expect the worst.

1 hour ago, Wade58 said:

I have checked steam several times and it dose not give me the ability to stop updates none what so ever.  So I get stuck with updates all the time but a quarter of my mods will not work. it dose not crash the game and it limits my armor selection and can not fast travel. When I try to deselect through NMM what they have forced on me it will not let me do so. So honestly I hope you guys and gals can fix these mods. Just went into SSE directory and deleted what I could find and reinstalled Skse 1.9.7. hope for the best expect the worst.

You need to read back several pages it will show you how to stop updates in steam and how to revert back.

2 hours ago, Wade58 said:

I have checked steam several times and it dose not give me the ability to stop updates none what so ever.

It doesn't let you stop updates. What you have to do, and what the various instructions will tell you to do, is to change at what moment it will try to apply updates. Namely that it only happens when you launch the game through Steam, and then you make sure you never launch the game through Steam.

Heyho,

small question: if I use the feature of Steam to check the current installation (for missing or corrupted files), does this only do so based on the installed version or does it try to update the game during the process?

Or as for SSE: I did not update to AE yet, so it's game v 1.5.97 - if I want to check that installation for errors, does it do so only for v1.5.97 or is that "old" version considered an error and would it update to v 1.6.xx aka AE?

1 hour ago, Mister X said:

Heyho,

small question: if I use the feature of Steam to check the current installation (for missing or corrupted files), does this only do so based on the installed version or does it try to update the game during the process?

Or as for SSE: I did not update to AE yet, so it's game v 1.5.97 - if I want to check that installation for errors, does it do so only for v1.5.97 or is that "old" version considered an error and would it update to v 1.6.xx aka AE?

It "should" check against what you have installed currently (via the manifest file's data), but not a theory I've ever tested.  If you don't want to chance it and can spare the bandwidth, you can either use the Steam Console or the DepotDownloader to just pull down the full list of files for a given release (2 separate depots make up the complete 1.5.97 release).  If you opt to use the Steam Console, I don't remember the exact file location it writes to, but in my experience it does not overwrite the existing install when you manually invoke depot download requests.

35 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

It "should" check against what you have installed currently (via the manifest file's data), but not a theory I've ever tested.  If you don't want to chance it and can spare the bandwidth, you can either use the Steam Console or the DepotDownloader to just pull down the full list of files for a given release (2 separate depots make up the complete 1.5.97 release).  If you opt to use the Steam Console, I don't remember the exact file location it writes to, but in my experience it does not overwrite the existing install when you manually invoke depot download requests.

Spoiler

image.png.673d14a48a6110083ba7ffb680091a4b.png

image.png.9c496b01c1f8e8c26aea8f6e810350b0.png

image.png.f3e76ffaa28bc6fa48854e87862002b3.png

Steam console input

download_depot <appid> <depotid> [<target manifestid>]

; with numbers from above for the 2 year old mainfest
download_depot 489830 489832 8702665189575304780

Steam console output

image.png.2edf0347eed1dd198de2dd29a351d28a.png

Is there something wrong or did Bethesda just remove that manifest?

Or, another option: I've set my local mainfest file of the game to read-only, so Steam isn't able to update if I accidentally click the button. I'll try that then...

EDIT: ... Nope, didn't work, removed the read-only flag and restarted Steam afterwards, still no success

Edited by Mister X
3 hours ago, Mister X said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.673d14a48a6110083ba7ffb680091a4b.png

image.png.9c496b01c1f8e8c26aea8f6e810350b0.png

image.png.f3e76ffaa28bc6fa48854e87862002b3.png

Steam console input

download_depot <appid> <depotid> [<target manifestid>]

; with numbers from above for the 2 year old mainfest
download_depot 489830 489832 8702665189575304780

Steam console output

image.png.2edf0347eed1dd198de2dd29a351d28a.png

Is there something wrong or did Bethesda just remove that manifest?

Or, another option: I've set my local mainfest file of the game to read-only, so Steam isn't able to update if I accidentally click the button. I'll try that then...

EDIT: ... Nope, didn't work, removed the read-only flag and restarted Steam afterwards, still no success

Still works for me using the DepotDownloader using the same app, depot and manifest numbers above.  What values are in your appmanifest_489830.acf file?

13 hours ago, tasairis said:

It doesn't let you stop updates. What you have to do, and what the various instructions will tell you to do, is to change at what moment it will try to apply updates. Namely that it only happens when you launch the game through Steam, and then you make sure you never launch the game through Steam.

It's  a steam game how I'm I supposed to do that?

11 hours ago, Mister X said:

Heyho,

If you validate the files it will do the update too. You can validate, then revert back with the downgrade patcher.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

14 minutes ago, zarantha said:

Launch the game with skse through your mod manager. steam still runs, but it's not launching the game directly.

Also no need to have a mod manager like Vortex running.

You can navigate to your game directory.  There you will find the SKSE launcher.

Click it to run it.