Game freezes when changing gender.

I've run into a problem, every time I try to change gender at the chargen screen the game freezes.  The game was working all day, and I've only had one crash in the six months I've been playing SE.  I have not changed nor added any mods to the game.  I am still using the mods I had activated today and it worked.  But now it freezes the game.  I've always had to wait a minute for the gender to change at chargen, but now it completely locks up the game making me restart the PC.

Has anyone encountered this?  Or is this problem only unique to me?

Here's my modlist.  The ones with the 1 next to it are the ones activated:

GameMode=SkyrimSE

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp=1
SexLab.esm=0
BSAssets.esm=1
BSHeartland.esm=1
BSPatchSE.esp=1
BBLuxurySuite.esm=1
BS_DLC_patch.esp=1
Apachii_DivineEleganceStore.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=0
ApachiiHairFemales.esm=1
ApachiiHairMales.esm=1
RSkyrimChildren.esm=1
TeenageFemaleVoice.esm=0
KS Hairdo's.esp=1
Cutting Room Floor.esp=1
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp=1
BVFE.esp=1
TW3Eyes.esp=0
Armour_of_Yngol.esp=1
Brows.esp=1
icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
TalosHousecarl.esp=1
EMHearthfireMoveKidsfix.esp=0
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp=0
Unique Uniques.esp=1
RSChildren - CRF Patch.esp=1
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp=1
When Vampires Attack.esp=1
Beards.esp=1
Facelight.esp=0
Dawnguard Delayed - Level 20.esp=0
Dawnguard Delayed - Level 90.esp=0
Delayed Dragonborn.esp=1
ShowRaceMenuAlternative.esp=1
FNIS.esp=1
Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp=1
The Eyes Of Beauty - Elves Edition.esp=1
Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp=1
Better Necromancer's Amulet.esp=1
skyforgedWeapons.esp=1
Moonlight Tales Special Edition.esp=0
AnotherBlackThievesGuildArmor.esp=1
Apophysis_DPM_SE.esp=0
Sithis Armour.esp=0
SMIM-Bruma-Patch.esp=1
Ice Mage Follower.esp=0
SexLabMatchMaker.esp=0
NetherMage.esp=0
Durnehviir God of Death.esp=1
VSCiriProjectTW3.esp=0
Dawnguard - Join As A Vampire.esp=0
Ursine Armour - Non HDT.esp=0
Manticore Armour.esp=0
Geralt of Rivia - KaerMohen Gear.esp=0
witcher menu replacer.esp=0
XPMSSE.esp=1
SkyUI_SE.esp=1
ORI - HarkonSword.esp=1
geralt viper armor.esp=0
3DNPC.esp=1
ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp=0
Book Covers Skyrim.esp=1
Helgen Reborn.esp=0
Eli_Breezehome.esp=1
Undeath.esp=0
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp=1
ESFCompanions.esp=1
Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
HearthfireMultiKid.esp=1
Aurlyn.esp=0
Sacrosanct - Vampires of Skyrim.esp=0
EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp=0
TKAA.esp=0
Better Vampires.esp=0
Volkihar Knight.esp=0
Volkihar Knight - Better Vampires Patch.esp=0
Run For Your Lives.esp=1
Inigo.esp=1
EMViljaInSolstheimAddOn.esp=0
BecomeKingofSkyrim.esp=0
Phenderix Magic Evolved.esp=1
SofiaFollower.esp=1
FlowerGirls SE.esp=1
SexLab-AmorousAdventures.esp=1
TW3MO.esp=0
SassyGirls.esp=1
Apachii_DivineEleganceStore_Patch.esp=1
Recorder Follower Base.esp=0
TFollowers3.esp=1
HereticArmorPub.esp=0
Ars Metallica.esp=1
SamuraiBlades.esp=1
ThaneWeaponsReborn.esp=1
notice board.esp=0
TFollowers2.esp=1
JRC's Longsword Pack.esp=0
FalmerBikini.esp=1
draugrweap_repl_en.esp=1
TFollowers.esp=1
SpousesEnhanced.esp=0
IB - All-in-One.esp=1
The Ordinary Women.esp=1
BijinAIO_SSE-3.1.1-SV.esp=1
NormalVampireFaces.esp=0
AROP- Bosmer Edition.esp=0
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp=1
YurianaWench.esp=1
MorZhiamak.esp=1
Ritual Armor of Boethiah.esp=0
Harem.esp=0
PaladinArtifactsAndArmor.esp=0
DCR_KingCrusaderMegaPack_SSE.esp=0
Convenient Horses.esp=1
LevelersTower.esp=1
Gildergreen Regrown.esp=1
Bigger Badder Lich King Version 2.0.esp=0
Dawnguard&VolkiharArtifactsQuests.esp=1
babydoll.esp=0
AROP- Altmer Edition.esp=0
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp=1
Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp=1
Undeath Immersive Lichdom.esp=0
Inquisitor Set.esp=0
Rise of the Legend - Ysgramor.esp=1
AurlynSerenityOverhaul.esp=0
Volkihar Knight - Sacrosanct Patch.esp=0
Perfect Legionnaire - Troops Re-equipment.esp=0
Dread Knight Weapon Set.esp=0
Medusa and Drakul Armors.esp=0
AwpSylvanas.esp=0
BBLuxurySuiteENM.esp=0
Ariente Follower.esp=0
Psylia_Thramal.esp=0
Dovakini.esp=1
Esuna_Asherz.esp=0
Succubus-san.esp=1
VRJessi.esp=1
Aeril.esp=1
LV_Cirilla.esp=0
Promise.esp=1
Diana_True_Vampire_Follower.esp=0
AROP- Dunmer Edition.esp=0
AROP- Orsimer Edition.esp=0
AROP- Redguard Edition.esp=0
AROP- Argonian Edition.esp=0
AROP- Breton Edition.esp=0
AROP- Khajit Edition.esp=0
Nightingale Prime remaster.esp=0
AROP- Imperial Edition.esp=0
HitGirl.esp=0
Cute Adoptable.esp=0
x117setComplete.esp=0
Shout.esp=0
Soren_follower.esp=0
Freya.esp=1
Faction Crossbows.esp=1
RSChildren - Complete.esp=1
RSChildren_PatchUSSEP.esp=1
Predator Vision.esp=0
Kathryn.esp=0
Kavula_Vampire_Followers.esp=0
Levionte_Yennefer.esp=0
Race Scale Remover.esp=0
Cutting Room Floor TKAA Patch.esp=0
Lolidia_se.esp=0
HOBTonka.esp=1
TTRMarieRose.esp=0
Mirielle Follower.esp=0
SpousesEnhanced_Serana.esp=0
BBD Skimpy Assassin Outfit.esp=0
newmillerChBikini.esp=0
Toccata as Elisif.esp=1
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp=1
FlowerGirls SE - Adventures.esp=1
Toccata.esp=0
UndeathClassicalLichdom.esp=0
SamuraiBladesWeapons.esp=1
Volrina.esp=0
NeridaTheCrow.esp=1
Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp=1
DemonHunterV2.esp=1
DCSorceress.esp=1
LingerieSetCBBE3_2ByNausicaa.esp=1
HentaiVoidArmor.esp=1
CrimsonTwilightArmor.esp=1
50 More Perk Points.esp=1
RosaFollower.esp=1
HearthfireMultiKid_LastName.esp=1
My Home Is Your Home.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1
AROP- Nord Edition.esp=0
Bruma - Alternate Start.esp=0
Alternate Start LAL TKAA Patch.esp=0
BBLS-ASLAL.esp=0

Okay, I loaded up my female character from a previous save and it worked.  But when I type 'ShowRaceMenu' in the console the game freezes.  When I try to start a new game and try to change gender to female, the game freezes.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the XP32 skeleton.  I've run FNIS, and I've sorted the load order with LOOT.  But the game still freezes when trying to change gender.

Long shot...

Verify cache.

I stated this since it appears that you have been running the same setup for a few months without change. Something might  have gotten messed up over this time. Long shot but you didn't mention you tried it... it shouldn't hurt anything except if you have cleaned masters.

Long shot...

Verify cache.

I stated this since it appears that you have been running the same setup for a few months without change. Something might  have gotten messed up over this time. Long shot but you didn't mention you tried it... it shouldn't hurt anything except if you have cleaned masters.

I will try the verify cache.  As for cleaning the masters.  When I first installed SE I cleaned the masters like I did with the original Skyrim.  But once I cleaned them for SE the game would not start.  When I uninstalled SE and reinstalled without cleaning the masters the game worked.

Thank you for the reply.  I will verify cache now.  I will report my progress.

I've verified the cache and the game still freezes.  I've tried rebooting my PC and it still freezes.  This problem has been going on for the past hour.  It was working just fine before I left to work and when I came back home.  In the last hour the game has been locking up when changing genders.  I deleted all my saves and started fresh and it still happens.

I've verified the cache and the game still freezes. I've tried rebooting my PC and it still freezes. This problem has been going on for the past hour. It was working just fine before I left to work and when I came back home. In the last hour the game has been locking up when changing genders. I deleted all my saves and started fresh and it still happens.

Does it actually freeze, or just take a couple of minutes to change gender.

Mine does the latter, I assume because of the large number of hairs installed and the fact there is no precache killer for SE, so it has to load all of the models.

What’s strange is it doesn’t always do it.

I've verified the cache and the game still freezes. I've tried rebooting my PC and it still freezes. This problem has been going on for the past hour. It was working just fine before I left to work and when I came back home. In the last hour the game has been locking up when changing genders. I deleted all my saves and started fresh and it still happens.

Does it actually freeze, or just take a couple of minutes to change gender.

Mine does the latter, I assume because of the large number of hairs installed and the fact there is no precache killer for SE, so it has to load all of the models.

What’s strange is it doesn’t always do it.

It completely freezes the game.  Can't move the mouse or alt+tab out of it.  The only is to press alt+ctrl+del and restart the system.  At first I thought it was the hairs, but it was working fine with them installed.  I also deactivated them and it still freezes.

Status update:  When I changed the gender and it froze, instead of rebooting the PC, I walked away for 2 minutes.  When I came back the gender was changed to female.  This is both good and bad news.  The bad news is:  I never had to wait two minutes for the gender to change.  The good news is I can go back to creating female followers,  So for now it's solved I guess.  Thank you to everyone's input. :)

I observed a weird behavior after switching to win10 in general, whenever running a fullscreen 3D application, HDD (including SSD) accesses, seemed to be...delayed and slower  than

it was on win 7 using the same Hardware.

After fiddeling around manually installing jerry-rigged win7 AMD drivers for my SATA controller, and reducing my swapfile to 1 gig  the problem was gone.

I observed a weird behavior after switching to win10 in general, whenever running a fullscreen 3D application, HDD (including SSD) accesses, seemed to be...delayed and slower  than

it was on win 7 using the same Hardware.

After fiddeling around manually installing jerry-rigged win7 AMD drivers for my SATA controller, and reducing my swapfile to 1 gig  the problem was gone.

Yeah, my PC has been having weird behavior since I got Windows 10.  On my old Win 7 and Win 8.1 PC's it ran normally.  But for me there has always been a slight delay when changing gender.  But nothing like this.

Wonder if there were recent updates to Windows or graphics drivers....

I did update my Nvidia driver a few days ago.  But the game was running fine.

Instead of starting a new thread I might as well post here.  When I make a female wood elf and I try to take her clothes off the game crashes.  I have not tried the other Elven races,  but the human females all work fine.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to resolve it?

Instead of starting a new thread I might as well post here.  When I make a female wood elf and I try to take her clothes off the game crashes.  I have not tried the other Elven races,  but the human females all work fine.

My issue before was similar to yours.

I would take off the clothes of bandits (female) and my game would crash...

After much work I found out it was some mod I was using. A piece of equipment apparently was missing something. However, I did have everything installed as I was told. (double and triple checked ;))  

You might be missing or having some conflict that you weren't' aware of before. However, I believe you stated above that you removed most if not all the mods and still had the problem. If that is so, then perhaps the conflict might be with the final ones you have. I'd try using a "clean" game with new start, no mods installed and see if I had the same problem and work from there. A clean verified cache game should work perfectly. If not, then it is something with your computer, settings, OS or other requirements. After you install one set of required mods, test. see if the issue occurs. I'd get fresh copies of the mods. Last time I resurrected my MO install I had problems that made no sense. However, started disappearing after I "refreshed" the mods that I had with new copies. (I think something went wonky with the mods I had installed like sometimes happens with the actual game itself.)

Sorry I can't give more guidance on this. I haven't really used SSE much and havne't modded it. I am basing my info on the extremely old engine and general problems that do occur with it in the past.

Best of luck.

My issue before was similar to yours.

I would take off the clothes of bandits (female) and my game would crash...

After much work I found out it was some mod I was using. A piece of equipment apparently was missing something. However, I did have everything installed as I was told. (double and triple checked ;))  

You might be missing or having some conflict that you weren't' aware of before. However, I believe you stated above that you removed most if not all the mods and still had the problem. If that is so, then perhaps the conflict might be with the final ones you have. I'd try using a "clean" game with new start, no mods installed and see if I had the same problem and work from there. A clean verified cache game should work perfectly. If not, then it is something with your computer, settings, OS or other requirements. After you install one set of required mods, test. see if the issue occurs. I'd get fresh copies of the mods. Last time I resurrected my MO install I had problems that made no sense. However, started disappearing after I "refreshed" the mods that I had with new copies. (I think something went wonky with the mods I had installed like sometimes happens with the actual game itself.)

Sorry I can't give more guidance on this. I haven't really used SSE much and havne't modded it. I am basing my info on the extremely old engine and general problems that do occur with it in the past.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the reply.  It is very much appreciated.  I have not tried disabling mods to see if that particular problem still occurs.  I will try now.:)

Hmm, weird.  Only with LAL activated and all others deactivated it still crashes when removing her clothes.  I will keep trying to figure it out. :)

Might be something r/t LAL  that is doing it.

Try a fresh download and install.

Then check to see if there is any clothing that is included in LAL. If so maybe there is a requirement that is missing.

Reason:

Sometimes when mod authors are working on mods they have some changes accidentally done and / or forget what they did and there might be some requirement. this has happened to me in the past. One example the eyes were purple... (missing) and I figured it was some eyes the author had in their system that they accidentally added to their mod. It being a very popular (almost required) mod meant that most people never even seen the issue.

If you cannot and can replicate the issue reliably on a clean system without mods (make sure you have the required for LAL) then I'd also communicate this to the author perhaps there might be something they can look into. A bug that they might not have seen or known.  Being a clean system without mods it means there is little chance it is something else conflicting. (still might be something with your system, computer, game OS etc but slim)

Hmm, weird.  Only with LAL activated and all others deactivated it still crashes when removing her clothes.  I will keep trying to figure it out. :)

Then check to see if there is any clothing that is included in LAL. If so maybe there is a requirement that is missing.

Reason:

Sometimes when mod authors are working on mods they have some changes accidentally done and / or forget what they did and there might be some requirement. this has happened to me in the past. One example the eyes were purple... (missing) and I figured it was some eyes the author had in their system that they accidentally added to their mod. It being a very popular (almost required) mod meant that most people never even seen the issue.

If you cannot and can replicate the issue reliably on a clean system without mods (make sure you have the required for LAL) then I'd also communicate this to the author perhaps there might be something they can look into. A bug that they might not have seen or known.  Being a clean system without mods it means there is little chance it is something else conflicting. (still might be something with your system, computer, game OS etc but slim)

I will try that.  But I think it's my system in general.  Primarily Windows 10.  I have all sorts of odd behavior, like opening the Creation Kit causes a 'blue screen of death' every time.  In Skyrim classic the game crashes constantly when nearing Riverwood and Whiterun, whether if the game is modded or not.

So I will try LAL.  But I won't be surprised if it's the OS.  Thank you for the help.:)

Reason:

I will try that.  But I think it's my system in general.  Primarily Windows 10.  I have all sorts of odd behavior, like opening the Creation Kit causes a 'blue screen of death' every time.  In Skyrim classic the game crashes constantly when nearing Riverwood and Whiterun, whether if the game is modded or not.

So I will try LAL.  But I won't be surprised if it's the OS.  Thank you for the help. :)

You have refined the issue. If you are having problems with the base game crashing then it might just be windows itself. It has been looking more and more like it was windows as you worked on the problem from my point of view as well. Not sure how to help with that. I don't even have Windows 10 installed on my personal computers.

Reason:

So I will try LAL.  But I won't be surprised if it's the OS.  Thank you for the help. :)

You have refined the issue. If you are having problems with the base game crashing then it might just be windows itself. It has been looking more and more like it was windows as you worked on the problem from my point of view as well. Not sure how to help with that. I don't even have Windows 10 installed on my personal computers.

Well I will be searching the net for a solution to the Windows problem.  I bought a program 2 months ago that was supposed to fix errors and restore Windows to a 'healthy' state.  It says my system is healthy, yet I still keep experiencing these odd behaviors.  Like I said I continue searching.  Thank you for being patient and thank you for the replies. :)

In my opinion pretty much all "tuning" "fixing" and "cleaning" tools for Windows are a scam, doing more worse than good especially the "registry error fixer".

Cleaning your registry will not make your computer faster or more stable.

The better ones might clean some orphaned or temporary files and folders, but you can easily do that yourself if you know where to look.

To me it sounds like your having memory issues, bad memory timings or simply a broken dimm module, with multiple games crashing whenever there's a spike in memory usage,

or maybe an unstable powersupply, memory is very receptive to minor voltage/current flukes.

i would try prime or memtest, and see if there are instabilities, mabe with monitor programs running in the background (cpuz, gpuz, temperature/voltage monitors)

I'm having the exact same problem, someone said it could be Enhanced Character Edit causing it, but I'm not sure.

To get out of the 'frozen' state, I have to ctr alt delete, windows button, and click it again.  If it's black screened, then I just repeat the process until it works.  It sometimes takes a while.  

I have no idea...

In my opinion pretty much all "tuning" "fixing" and "cleaning" tools for Windows are a scam, doing more worse than good especially the "registry error fixer".

Cleaning your registry will not make your computer faster or more stable.

The better ones might clean some orphaned or temporary files and folders, but you can easily do that yourself if you know where to look.

To me it sounds like your having memory issues, bad memory timings or simply a broken dimm module, with multiple games crashing whenever there's a spike in memory usage,

or maybe an unstable powersupply, memory is very receptive to minor voltage/current flukes.

i would try prime or memtest, and see if there are instabilities, mabe with monitor programs running in the background (cpuz, gpuz, temperature/voltage monitors)

Yeah, I figured most were scams after buying the program.  It says if fixed everything but I still experience the problems.  As for craashes I've only crashed 3 times since starting SE six months ago.  The first was during gameplay and the other two is when trying to change the outfit of female Bosmers.

I'm having the exact same problem, someone said it could be Enhanced Character Edit causing it, but I'm not sure.

To get out of the 'frozen' state, I have to ctr alt delete, windows button, and click it again.  If it's black screened, then I just repeat the process until it works.  It sometimes takes a while.  

I have no idea...

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt, but it does change gender after waiting for 1 - 2 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, before the latest update broke SKSE64.  I tested undressing all the females of each race.  The only problematic race is the female Bosmer.  When I undress her, or try to change her clothes I get an instant CTD.  Also sometimes when equipping armor, any gender of any race causes a CTD.  This has happened so far with a modded armor I ported myself.  I've been using it for months and it always worked.  Now it causes a CTD.  Has anyone ever had these problems?  If so, how did you fix it?

Bandit armor was giving me issues and it ended up being something to do with those armors and if I remember correctly it was the underwear or something like that that was causing the problem. I updated the system and removed that and didn't have a problem again. It has been awhile so I can't remember all the details on this.

The female Bosmer has something different about her, check that to see what it might be. A skin texture, body mesh, something is different about her. Find that and you should solve that issue.

The ported armor you had might not be compatable with the body (texture/meshes) you are currently using. Just a guess on my part as I never had an issue with that specifically.

Archived