Civilization VI

Molevalence

The game has been out for a year now. I researched that many patches have been added to better AI and better game play experience. I have about 225 hours of Civilization 5 and just got back into that as I have been feeling the RTS itch. The only thing holding me back is the price. Been out for a year now and they're still asking full price. Over $100.00 for the digital deluxe. I have done research on the game, watched reviews, read a good amount of comments about the game so I think I have a basic understanding on the fundamentals I just wanted to ask people out there who have actually played it and see if its worth the full price or wait until/if it goes on sale down the road.

Any information/personal feedback would be appreciated.

Unless you have too much time on your hand or money is no issue I just don't see the reason not to wait for a sale.  I got Civ5 with all the expansions for like $15 three or four years ago (probably a year after the last expansion was released) but only played it a few hours before going back to my modded Civ4 that I've already sunk hundreds of hours in.  If you like Civ5, which I didn't even after the supposed shortcomings have been addressed, there is no sound financial reason not to keep playing it until Civ6 is on sale.  It's not like there is a narrative connect that you cannot wait to see how the story unfolds.

It's digital goods, they will never be out of stock like CD boxes so why pay a time premium when you don't need the instant gratification?

I got Civ 6 for $25.00 bundled with XCOM2 (which I already owned) on summer sale.  Played through it once and haven't bothered to play it again.  I found it kind of boring.  The AI kept denouncing me but only declared war once over the entire course of the game.  Maybe I'm just burned out since I've played Civ 2 through Civ 6 over the years but neither Civ 5 or 6 really drew me in the way Civilization used to.  I didn't feel cheated paying 25 dollars for it but I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for Civ 6 although everyone's tastes differ.

The game has been out for a year now. I researched that many patches have been added to better AI and better game play experience. I have about 225 hours of Civilization 5 and just got back into that as I have been feeling the RTS itch. The only thing holding me back is the price. Been out for a year now and they're still asking full price. Over $100.00 for the digital deluxe. I have done research on the game, watched reviews, read a good amount of comments about the game so I think I have a basic understanding on the fundamentals I just wanted to ask people out there who have actually played it and see if its worth the full price or wait until/if it goes on sale down the road.

If you want to play a RTS, you might want to reconsider Civ 6, since it's a TBS (Turn-Based Strategy, as opposed to Real-Time Strategy).

I've played it recently for a bit, and somehow the patch that came out at that time (a couple of months ago) had broken some rather basic AI functions, making the game really easy. You could basically ask the AI for any item and it would give it to you for really low prices. It had some other odd behaviors as well.

I'd suggest to wait until the inevitable large-scale expansion comes out. Demanding full-price for a AAA game a year after release isn't that uncommon, and if the game was successful to begin with, even less so. If a much hyped game doesn't cost full-price after a year, it most likely didn't meet sales expectations. 

If you want to play Grand Strategy, I can recommend anything from from Paradox (EU IV, CK2, Stellaris), but if you are into Civ-style 4X Games, there aren't many games out there that are arguably better than the Civ series. 

Molevalence,

i agree with Le Serpent in the sense the game isn't innovative — i would dare saying it is quite boring, actually. i have Civ versions V and VI for Mac OS X (they are both uninstalled, now); there are some days i miss playing version V, yet the thought of installing it again exhausts me. as for Civ VI, however: i believe i wasted my money and time on it.

Sagebrush61 got a strong point, though: "everyone's tastes differ."

wish you the best,

E.

Since I have played both I'll go ahead and give you my opinions too.  :)

I played Civ 5, and I moved to Civ 6 a while back.   It wasn't day one, but it wasn't yesterday either, I honestly don't remember when I bought it.  heh.

But unlike others, I don't regret buying it at all.   Once I started playing VI, I have basically stopped playing V.    I personally like VI better.    Now I am a casual player, I should point out.  I just load it up about once a week or so, a lot of times I play it while watching sports.

All that said...  If I did not have it, and knew what I know now about playing both games,  I'd still wait for the winter sale.   Having played and enjoyed both, I'd still want it badly, but not bad enough to not wait three more months and get it cheaper if that makes sense.   

• 1 year later...

Archived