Modders International University

Eradoras

Yes all in the tittle :)

I wake up this morning with this idea in mind. in a very good shape as the weather is quite nice in Paris today :)

This is a fact that we have in this fantastic community probably the best modders that we can find. Knowledge, skills and innovative ideas. Nexus has also a nice bunch of guys making fantastic mods.

I was wondering if we can imagin to build a kind of web university, with High skill modders as teachers, to teach to people who wants to improve their skills, to start with modding etc...

Do not flame me too much, probably a stupid idea. but i would like to get your opinion on this. I personnaly would like to start modding, but it seems so complicate..... lot of documents to see, and of course lot of questions as soon as you read them...

Well, I am happy to see all your reactions. 

Era

Real problem is that people have the time they have.

So do not expect "courses", "training sessions", etc.

For just asking and get help, I suppose LoversLab already does a good job.

Bon apres-midi.

I think it's a good idea, but very hard to achieve. Seeing there are so many games out there, and not all of them are made with the same engine & such. So modding one game is a whole different story than the other. Seeing now modding is a lot bigger than it once was, things can get too complicated like the whole unwritten modding laws and how to "legally" uses an asset & such...

Great idea though, would like to see it happen if it's possible.

I think that studying computer science would best prepare others to mod and create video games. I'd recommend learning a computer programming language like C, C++ or C#. Furthermore, I am self-taught in computer programming (C++), but I have the most professional experience in web design and development with JavaScript and PHP. Lastly, I have a formal education in Game Design.

Resourcefulness is the best skill that one can learn, and it is a skill that gets stronger over time. Creating a game and modding requires a lot of planning and research. Add the word "persistence" to your personal values because you'll need it.

BTW. I've spent much time reading tutorials, and I have even wrote a few tutorials in the past. Reading and following along with tutorials is a good place to start.

I think that studying computer science would best prepare others to mod and create video games. I'd recommend learning a computer programming language like C, C++ or C#. Furthermore, I am self-taught in computer programming (C++), but I have the most professional experience in web design and development with JavaScript and PHP. Lastly, I have a formal education in Game Design.

Resourcefulness is the best skill that one can learn, and it is a skill that gets stronger over time. Creating a game and modding requires a lot of planning and research. Add the word "persistence" to your personal values because you'll need it.

BTW. I've spent much time reading tutorials, and I have even wrote a few tutorials in the past. Reading and following along with tutorials is a good place to start.

Actually, studying computer science will not help that much. It's not even that much help for creating games from scratch, even less for creating mods. It's more "science" than "computer".I think you have a wrong impression what computer science (compared to do some coding) is about. You will spend 80-90% of your time with stuff you'll never need in modding, and you'll learn only 10-20% what you need to create a mod, if anything at all.

Imho the most important skill you'd learn at your courses is reading tutorials, at least you'll probably have to at some point. But it's not actually mandatory to succeed during your studies... i know somebody with a master in computer sciences and he didn't touch a computer the first 3 years. In the end... if you want to learn modding, just do it^^

Either start with chosing a game and see what languages/skills you'd need to do what you want, or start with learning one or more languages and then see what you can do with that.

You don't really need to be able to code at all if you just want to make some armor or animations, and even some questmods are entirely possible without knowing anything about programming... even less computer science. 

Don't get me wrong, i don't say studying it would be wrong or useless, to know something about complexity models is something i consider useful in general to understand the world. :)

But learning that to make some mods is like... professional weight lifting for riding a bike down the road. It might be useful at some point if you have to carry your bike for a mile, but it's actually more likely you'll never use that. ;)

*edit: on topic: 

How do you imagine such a university? You pay a fee and somebody tells you what's in the tutorials and documents and answers your questions immediatly? Because that would be pretty much the difference - voice instead of reading for yourself, and immediate answers instead of patience.

From what I have learned so far, it would be very hard to teach a specific way to modify games because- as Nazzzgul666 has said- different games require different techniques. I think each games engine and design- while perhaps utilizing the same programs to edit meshes for instance- requires very intimate knowledge that seems to only be achieved through trial and error. Knowledge of modding right now is very much a potpourri of styles and formulas to sometimes arrive at the same results. Because of this I am not sure any one process can ever be "streamlined" enough to be considered the absolute best way to do something. Modding itself is still very much a work in progress with people still discovering new and different ways to do things in the games we play. Maybe in 10 or 20 yrs the the processes to mod things in games will solidify more and be more easily teachable and accessed by the general gamer. Indeed I have already seen vast improvements in modding principals and programs from just 10 yrs ago! Think of modding as a HUGE, WILD BEAST that most of us have only recently captured and are still in the process of poking and prodding. :)

Archived