Cheap Solutions To Stink Bugs and Ear Wigs?

Darkening Demise

I'm guessing you're in a temperate area and they're trying to get in from the cold right now.  Happens in this area too.  Easiest thing, get diatomaceous earth mixed with bait.  You'll find in the insecticide section of the store. The insecticide version that's sold in places like walmart/home depot/lowes/etc of it is mixed with powdered whey protein and misc carbs/fats making it very attractive for the insects to eat.  It's non toxic to people, pets, kills almost all insects dead. 

Just make sure you don't buy food grade.  You can use it, but you're just blowing money and it's mostly meant to be given to farm livestock to kill stomach/intestine parasites.

If they are coming through the window, buy some fly screen. The ones with velcro can be bought quite cheaply and are easy to attach (usually^^). 

Not sure if that helps with the ear wigs, unless your bedroom is in the basement or underground and they come crawling through the windows as well (at least where i'm from they can't fly :P). Unless there are any other holes or crevices they can crawl/fly in, that should help. i think...

I also used to have some problems with harlequin ladybird invasions. They usually tend to swarm around this time of the year to find a nice spot to survive the winter. Unfortunate for both if that place is also your home..   :s

• 1 month later...

I'll have to try some of these, they are starting to migrate indoors here.

For people with ant problems I have a simple and non toxic way to get rid of them: Borax plus a little powdered sugar mixed together. If you find the trail the come in/out by put a small pile of it on it and they will eat that, if you find the anthill outside just sprinkle it on the hill so it has a light coating (you may need to do it a few times). The borax causes gas to be produced in their stomach but they have no way to expel it (can't burp) so it pretty much ruptures their stomachs. Since they spread the mixture around the colony it will kill the entire colony. I have killed 2 anthills that were 1-2 feet across, they were dead within 2 weeks.

Archived