Grey face bug ?

galgat

1.   Okay I have I think narrowed my gray face bug in a mod I am making, down to where it seems to be caused by the my face textures being to high res. So skyrim Pukes them out, and places an UN-tinted face on my character.

2.  I can create Facegen data, and the neck seam will be okay, but I have a dark, or really red forehead, which is almost as bad.

3. So if I have to get some low rez face texture's to fix this,  just which ones should I get.  Also one's that will be sure to alleviate the grey, or black face bug.

4. I am reaching for the simplest fix, but I hate to drop my  res. or looks any more than I have to.

Also I wanted to get something in a texture that will fix this.

5,  If someone knows a better fix though I am open to suggestion.  But as far as I can tell I need to get a lower rez face texture, and then re generate my face gen data.

I just want to be sure to get the right one.

my face textures being to high res

Myth.

does not happen to properly formatted texture no matter how big it is.

Currently using 300-600 meg textures for PC and followers and issues at all. Either your hardware is insufficient or your textures are incorrectly formatted, pathed and placed.

For me the forehead bug is not caused by high res textures but by the FemaleUpperEyeSocket.dds Or MaleUpperEyeSocket.dds Face tint layer within the creation kit.

Quote from here

Open CK, go to CharacterGen and do the following:

Select FemaleUpperEyeSocket.dds Or MaleUpperEyeSocket.dds.

Click full or head preview at bottom so you can see what it does and zoom into your face.

Set Interpolation value to 0 and Click the preview again so u can see the change  :smile:

Not sure why that happens, but that fixes the problem for my custom made NPCs.

You use HiRes-FaceTints, but CK (CTRL + F4) does not support this.

Red forehead - is lipstick.

Use NPC Editor for re-creating FaceTints.

Use all values from CK (race, skin color, lip color, etc) in NPC Editor and create mod.

Only Texture is required.

Rename the created dds (as created by CK - id.dds) and copy to directory:  skyrim\Data\Textures\Actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\YourMod.esp.

Created mesh, ESP and folder (from NPC Editor) can be deleted.

By the way: TGA created by CK can be deleted, Skyrim does not use it.

For me the forehead bug is not caused by high res textures but by the FemaleUpperEyeSocket.dds Or MaleUpperEyeSocket.dds Face tint layer within the creation kit.

Quote from here

Click full or head preview at bottom so you can see what it does and zoom into your face.

Set Interpolation value to 0 and Click the preview again so u can see the change  :smile:

I might try that.

Use all values from CK (race, skin color, lip color, etc) in NPC Editor and create mod.

Rename the created dds (as created by CK - id.dds) and copy to directory:  skyrim\Data\Textures\Actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\YourMod.esp.

yes i knew it was lip stick.  I figured most would know my problem by the dark forehead.

But I am not following you on the second part.  Will this editor usage, enable me to fix my grey face problem with the characters in my mod ?

In my case a finished Texture, made by this editor I assume, would go to ?  " Mod Organizer\mods\Kims_NorPhalt_MO\textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\GGNorPhalt_MO.esp" would that be correct ?, and I would only need the texture, not the .nif or anything else ?

Myth.

red forehead it's because his tintmasks aren't uncompressed 256*256

load paint

load something from skyrim tintmask folder, add a mask

copy paste something else from skyrim tintmask folder, superposition calc

that's the tintmask (if you add a calc with the skin tone, eyes tone and whatever else was selected)

open a 2k warpaint

copy paste it on your tintmask

don't allow paint to resize the tintmask, keep it 256*256

that's the red forehead tintmask, there's only the top left part of the 2k warpaint on it

you don't use those 2k tintmask texture with crap kit, you use them with showracemenu or npc editor (or something better if that exist, one npc at a time that suck)

Quote from here

I might try that.

yes i knew it was lip stick.  I figured most would know my problem by the dark forehead.

But I am not following you on the second part.  Will this editor usage, enable me to fix my grey face problem with the characters in my mod ?

In my case a finished Texture, made by this editor I assume, would go to ?  " Mod Organizer\mods\Kims_NorPhalt_MO\textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\GGNorPhalt_MO.esp" would that be correct ?, and I would only need the texture, not the .nif or anything else ?

NPC Editor creates a complete mod like CK.

Do not worry - you do not have to work in MO or Data Directory.
NPC Editor I have separately in My Documents and the Mods are created in My Documents / My NPC.

You do not have to use your NPC. It is enough, the same sex, the same race.
If your NPC is a North, you can load Skyrim.esm, and for example. Ysolda abuse. ;)

You only need the texture. CK creates the NIF (Head, Hair, Brow etc.) properly. Only the texture is shit.
If you use MO (and there open CK), then that is your directory - probably. You have to know yourself. ;)

CK only creates 256x256 dds / tga. And it's not scaled - it's magic.

Lipstick, eyeliner, something is thrown on the forehead. I have not seen the logic yet.

I also saw warpaints as a forehead.

Important in CK: Check ALL Face Tint Layers. If not desired, use "ColorAverage". Even if no change is visible.

In NPC Editor, you can set the Face Tint Layer itself - so all those in the CK (ESP) are not on ColorAverage.

Quote from here

I might try that.

NPC Editor creates a complete mod like CK.

Do not worry - you do not have to work in MO or Data Directory.
NPC Editor I have separately in My Documents and the Mods are created in My Documents / My NPC.

You do not have to use your NPC. It is enough, the same sex, the same race.
If your NPC is a North, you can load Skyrim.esm, and for example. Ysolda abuse. ;)

You only need the texture. CK creates the NIF (Head, Hair, Brow etc.) properly. Only the texture is shit.
If you use MO (and there open CK), then that is your directory - probably. You have to know yourself. ;)

CK only creates 256x256 dds / tga. And it's not scaled - it's magic.

Lipstick, eyeliner, something is thrown on the forehead. I have not seen the logic yet.

I also saw warpaints as a forehead.

Important in CK: Check ALL Face Tint Layers. If not desired, use "ColorAverage". Even if no change is visible.

In NPC Editor, you can set the Face Tint Layer itself - so all those in the CK (ESP) are not on ColorAverage.

The editor looks cool, but it problematic to get the characters from My Mod into it.  I attempted to set up a load order in it, and it does not seem to be able to finish spinning or finalizing Icon had gone on for long time.  Does not seem to be finishing.

Myth.

red forehead it's because his tintmasks aren't uncompressed 256*256

load paint

load something from skyrim tintmask folder, add a mask

copy paste something else from skyrim tintmask folder, superposition calc

that's the tintmask (if you add a calc with the skin tone, eyes tone and whatever else was selected)

open a 2k warpaint

copy paste it on your tintmask

don't allow paint to resize the tintmask, keep it 256*256

that's the red forehead tintmask, there's only the top left part of the 2k warpaint on it

you don't use those 2k tintmask texture with crap kit, you use them with showracemenu or npc editor (or something better if that exist, one npc at a time that suck)

With compression it has nothing to do - would have nothing else to do.

You can use 1024, 2048 etc. with CK. You just need to know what limits are there and how to circumvent these limits.
I always wanted to know - because I've read so often from you.

How can I use RaceMenu for NPC?

Here is initial texture.
post-591799-0-85486000-1507577029_thumb.png

Here is the wanted texture.
post-591799-0-58977100-1507577052_thumb.png

snip ...

The editor looks cool, but it problematic to get the characters from My Mod into it.  I attempted to set up a load order in it, and it does not seem to be able to finish spinning or finalizing Icon had gone on for long time.  Does not seem to be finishing.

You have a custom Race? If not, only load Skyrim.esm and a NPC with your Race and Gender.

You need only a Texture, with exactly the settings of your ESP.

It may also be the old gray mane, if you wish.
Race, Gender, skin color, etc.

Form of the eyebrows, shape of the nose, age - all unimportant. Only the color has to be correct (for hair - no preference).
Hair must not be noticed in NPC editor (also form of eyebrows not) - only texture is relevant.

You need only a texture for the Face.

With compression it has nothing to do - would have nothing else to do.

You can use 1024, 2048 etc. with CK. You just need to know what limits are there and how to circumvent these limits.
I always wanted to know - because I've read so often from you.

Here is initial texture.

Here is the wanted texture.

snip ...

You have a custom Race? If not, only load Skyrim.esm and a NPC with your Race and Gender.

I have no custom races, I find little use for them at this time, or actually ever.  I find them more of a nuisance then anything useful to me.

I was sort of hoping for a simple fix, but am more than ever ready to just ignore it, Now ! LOL :s

And maybe important.
Changes in Skyrim mods do not have the effect as in Sims.
Properties of NPC's are in the Save. The Esp is only initial and will not be read again - as in Sims Mods.

If you want to test whether your change in the ESP, textures had succeeded.

Start Skyrim:

In the main menu, open the console with ^ enter -> coc qasmoke.
Now, in the test cell (qasmoke) open console and enter: help NPC_NAME (you should know)
The ID of the NPC is displayed.
Then enter in Console: player.placeatme id 1
The NPC will appear in your place (near).

I was sort of hoping for a simple fix, but am more than ever ready to just ignore it, Now ! LOL  :s

You can send me PM with details for FaceTint or ESP.
If I can, I'll create Texture for you.

you cast mimic spell on npc

showracemenu

export head as lydia, falk, x to replace the one of lydia, falk, x...

that suck, there's 1500-2000 npc in skyrim.esmm folder

Mimic Spell - interesting.
Do you have a link for me - which mod?

it's one of the optional download of racemenu

old stuff the got forgotten with the import head thing (that only import meshe on your char, it don't select eye 3 if it's eye 3 in the mesh, and that's why some fail with that thing)

Thank you. Then I'll look.

I was sort of hoping for a simple fix, but am more than ever ready to just ignore it, Now ! LOL  :s

You can send me PM with details for FaceTint or ESP.
If I can, I'll create Texture for you.

If I don't fat finger something I may have the mod far enough along soon for a proof of concept, posting, I might take you up on that then,

This grey face bug it stalling me from doing a few things I need to do to get the mod more ready, the Damn Navmeshes take more time than the scripting.

They are a major pain the bottom.

I have spent about two days of my free time chasing information on that grey face, and I get so much conflicting advice, in all the pages I visited, and here has not been much better, not that I do not appreciate you all's help.

but I feel like a puppy chasing his tail.. if I ever break it, I guess I'll will have a week end.

another useless guide that will only make it harder to find something not useless for the ones that search about that stuff

171013023109585186.jpg

171013023205162746.jpg

crap kit resize to 256*256 for 256*256 textures

it won't resize to 1k for 1k textures (and it won't resize them to 256*256 either)

171013023011461556.jpg

won't look the same in the tintmask, because

171013024514898208.jpg

it's an eyeline, should always be black near ears, lips, neck..., only the part around the eye is superpose

and you don't get a red eyeline somewhere above the ears because texture is dxt5, the thing used by crap kit to superpose texture can't load dxt5, so red everywhere in that rectangle on the tintmask

there should be a isallowedtexture() check before crap kit try to superpose that unsupported texture, but there isn't (there's one with warpaints, no warpaint in the tintmask if they are no good)

17101304480287598.jpg

headpart from load order doesn't match what there is in the nif

game don't load the nif but generate one with headpart femaleheadnord

there's no tintmask in the texture set, so no tintmask on that head

it's that what they call the "grey face bug"

171013023100235246.jpg

here it's a texture mismatch (something wasn't copy paste where it should in the highelfvampire textureset, it's not the same as in nifskope)

171013023107986511.jpg

here it's a mesh mismatch, vertex color are working on the head, but not on the body

171013023102503754.jpg

now that body have vertex color, it no longer match the hands

black point between orla head and body, that's because i have replace cbbe with unp in outfitter, and bones of original nifs aren't the same as the ones outfitter put in the nif it have export

there's a tintmask mismatch on muiri (vanilla tint on body because she is in test esp, and the tintmask dds is npc85 or something else that isn't vanilla)

• 11 months later...

I have spent over 5000 hrs in creation kit. All of a suddent the old bug showed up where if you made the lips red dark or something the forehead or the upper eye would turn that color. Went back through some of my old notes and  I went into textures/actors/character/character assets/ and put an ! in front of tintmasks either that or change the file name so it is not recongnized. Loaded ck and walah lips were red and everything worked again.  Forgot that sometimes when you "verify the integrity of game files" in steam it puts it back.

Oh and sometimes when ctrl +altF4 doesnt change or show up in game. Do the same thing to textures/actors/character/FaceGenData/Face Tint. Ctrl+altF4 will generate another Face Tint file. Copy those contents into the one you "hid" with the ! mark in front and over write,  Delete the new Face Tint that was created, remove the ! from in front of the old file and it should work, most of the time.

FYI

Archived