So I installed GTA 5

Rooker

So I installed GTA 5 last night from the retail DVDs (seven of, took a damn hour) and this happened

post-213841-0-86009300-1506698568_thumb.jpg

My internet at home is shit. Is there a link somewhere on their site to download all these updates outside their horrible game launcher? I found one for (what I think) is the l latest "Social Club" launcher and installed that, but it still wants to download 15 frigging gigs. I'm not talking about torrents or mega links (though I'm regretting spending money on this now), just an official link I can go to the library and download with my phone.

This is such bullshit. I bought a physical copy specifically to avoid this, yet here I am anyway.

The most infuriating thing is, I'm positive 99% of this is for online/multiplayer stuff, which I have zero interest in. I just want the singleplayer game. I've played every version of GTA that's ever been and, now that I have a PC that can run it, I want to play this one. I can't stand how multiplayer/co-op is ruining singleplayer games.

Anyway, I think I have one more nights worth of downloading and maybe the fricking DRM will finally allow me to play the game.

It still isn't done updating. It claimed to be done once, but crashed with "corrupt files" or something, so I told it to verify files and it started another monstrous download. However, it has finally delivered the damn gta5.exe, so I used a scripthook mod to bypass the launcher and played through the first mission and everything seems to be working. Smooth gameplay at 60fps. I guess I was right and all it needs to update is DLC, which I don't give a crap about.

I swear, this is absolutely the last time I pay for a Rockstar game. This is just utter bullshit.

From what I have read of in guides and such single player appears to be just a way to unlock most of the basic stuff, and get some cash for when you go into multi player, though I have played the other ones and to be honest unless I missed doing something there appears to be pretty much nothing to do.

For me one of the two characters one of them is showing nothing when using them, the other one can do the tow truck and the very first race though to me it looks like they borked the car handling during it to hell and back as I ran the course in the same car outside the race and had no real problem, did the race and the car was all over the place, sliding around the road like it was on ice.

Money guides seem to suggest robbing stores by drawing your gun outside the entering, as soon as I enter the store the game promptly forces me to put the weapon away.

Even though I've never changed my password, Rockstar has managed to either lose or change my password 7 times since 2011 when if first logged on to their crappy site. It usually takes 3 to 5 days for them to respond to my lost password request, and usually then I have no option but to download their worthless updates... The heat death of the universe is more likely to happen before I play their game online, or ever purchase another one of their products...

UPDATE: STILL FUCKING UPDATING

To get a good download of this as I have the same problem put this in the target in the shortcut propertys -noChunkedDownload this will download it as one.

Thanks for that! The stupid thing was stuck in an endless loop of "Verifying Update > Downloading Update > Connection to server lost! > Verfiying > Downloading > Connection lost!" I'd have to sit there watching the stupid updater the whole time and I have a job; I can't sit up all night to babysit a stupid download. At least now it keeps downloading once it starts. I might have this done tonight (maybe, hopefully).

Right now, by bypassing the launcher, I can explore and do taxi missions and get myself killed endlessly by pissing off the cops and that's it. Every time I try to do the main story missions, it CTDs on that early mission where you repo the motorcycle. Hopefully one of these endless updates is a bug patch.

I'll say it again: never paying for another Rockstar game again after this. I used to love this franchise as much as I love Elder Scrolls and Fallout, but this company can go screw itself if this is the experience you have trying to install their games.

/edit: Scratch that. After last night's updating, the bypass mod no longer works. I can't play it at all now.

Archived