The "right" pregnancy percentage?

One of the features I love the most about WickedWhims is the chance to become pregnant. I think it gives the game a much more organic feel than the default. So my question is really simple; What do you consider an average/fair/realistic pregnancy percentage? 

I know the question is inherently relative because it really depends on how much sex you make your sims have. But working within the confines of this relative nature, what is your ideal pregnancy percentage?

WHAT? The pregnancy rate for an unprotected relation before or on the day of ovulation is very low with a peak at 0.5% as you can see on the graph below, and the possibility of pregnancy is almost inexistant for 2/3 of the menstrual cycle, so if we don't take those cycles into account, and I doubt that WW will ever allow this, the average pregnancy rate is very very low. I would set it at 0.3% no more. That's why many women will have to try for months before getting pregnant.

Figure-3-Probability-of-clinical-pregnan

Figure 3. Probability of clinical pregnancy following intercourse on a given day relative to ovulation for women of three different age groups ( A : 19–26 years; B : 27–34 years; C : 35–39 years) with average fertility having partners of the same age (—) or 5 years older (- - -). (With permission from Dunson et al. , 2002.)

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/8515487_fig2_Figure-3-Probability-of-clinical-pregnancy-following-intercourse-on-a-given-day-relative

Early I added 1-5% because it's the current pregnancy system is far too simple for proper pregnancy chances. I would probably use 1% for my game if that's the case.

Pregnancy overhaul is on the way with the menstrual cycle and more ways to prevent pregnancy. I don't know how is that going to look yet, but the list of changes related to pregnancy is pretty long.

WHAT? The pregnancy rate for an unprotected relation before or on the day of ovulation is very low with a peak at 0.5% as you can see on the graph below, and the possibility of pregnancy is almost inexistant for 2/3 of the menstrual cycle, so if we don't take those cycles into account, and I doubt that WW will ever allow this, the average pregnancy rate is very very low. I would set it at 0.3% no more. That's why many women will have to try for months before getting pregnant.

Figure-3-Probability-of-clinical-pregnan

Figure 3. Probability of clinical pregnancy following intercourse on a given day relative to ovulation for women of three different age groups ( A : 19–26 years; B : 27–34 years; C : 35–39 years) with average fertility having partners of the same age (—) or 5 years older (- - -). (With permission from Dunson et al. , 2002.)

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/8515487_fig2_Figure-3-Probability-of-clinical-pregnancy-following-intercourse-on-a-given-day-relative

A probability of .5 would mean 50% chance.  A probability of 1 is 100%

"You are more likely to conceive if you have unprotected sex during the middle 2 weeks of your cycle. The time varies, but many women ovulate about day 14. You will have the highest risk of pregnancy by having unprotected sex one or two days before your ovulation starts; when the ovary releases the egg. This is a 30% chance. The risk of having unprotected sex and getting pregnant three days prior to ovulation is 15%. You will have a 12% chance on the ovulation day."

taken from https://menstrual-cycle-calculator.com/chance-pregnant-unprotected-sex/

So the chance at the right time is relatively high, but pretty low most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Early I added 1-5% because it's the current pregnancy system is far too simple for proper pregnancy chances. I would probably use 1% for my game if that's the case.

Pregnancy overhaul is on the way with the menstrual cycle and more ways to prevent pregnancy. I don't know how is that going to look yet, but the list of changes related to pregnancy is pretty long.

Maybe the male sims can level up a “pull-out” skill lol. Though, for realism sake, you’d probably have to separate climax animations between internal and external climaxes and that sounds needlessly complicated.

• 5 weeks later...

First I set it to 15%, but I was forgotting to use condoms and the sims were getting pregnant way too often for my like. So I came up with a storytelling excuse that they were taking the pill and looked the statistics up for some inspiration. The effectiveness of the pill is 99.9% with perfect use but of course we're humans and mistakes are made, and so the effectiveness with typical (faulty) use is around 92%. So I set it to 8% but was still getting more pregnancies than I'd like so now I'm assuming the sims are good at taking the pill and set it to 2%, unlikely but it still allows for some thrills and an occasional pregnancy if you do it often. I still make my more promiscuous sims use condoms if I *absolutely* don't want even a remote chance of pregnancy (no money for abortions lel). 1 or 2% is the sweet spot that I think relates well to how often pregnancies would happen IRL.

Bottom line: 15% if you want fertile sims, but only if you can remember to use condoms or doesn't mind a shit-ton of pregnancies going on until you learn to do so; 8% for faulty use of the pill; 2% for decent enough use of the pill and more lax gameplay.

[Tip: one thing that helps is to convert it to fractions to convey some intuition about what would suit, so for example 15% means around 1/7 of interactions would lead to pregnancy, 8% would mean around 1/12, etc.]

On 10/18/2017 at 1:14 PM, thewatcher1 said:

Maybe the male sims can level up a “pull-out” skill lol. Though, for realism sake, you’d probably have to separate climax animations between internal and external climaxes and that sounds needlessly complicated.

That's a nice idea actually, but it could be more simple like adding a tag to the climax animation to identify if it's an inside/outside type and switching to a different climax animation if needed. If no animations of the intended type are available, keep on with the usual course. Though conception still can occur IRL even with the pull-out method (e.g. some semen could get in via pre-ejaculation), we don't need that level of realism in the game, I guess.

Mine is usually set on 30-50% because even if the percentage is so high its still so unlikely to end in pregnancy. One time I had it I think it was 45% and I made my sims have sex like 20x and it still did not end in pregnancy...I want to  have risky sex but it just happens so rarely with pregnancy (with vaginal sex only)

On 11/17/2017 at 2:35 AM, sunfei said:

First I set it to 15%, but I was forgotting to use condoms and the sims were getting pregnant way too often for my like. So I came up with a storytelling excuse that they were taking the pill and looked the statistics up for some inspiration. The effectiveness of the pill is 99.9% with perfect use but of course we're humans and mistakes are made, and so the effectiveness with typical (faulty) use is around 92%. So I set it to 8% but was still getting more pregnancies than I'd like so now I'm assuming the sims are good at taking the pill and set it to 2%, unlikely but it still allows for some thrills and an occasional pregnancy if you do it often. I still make my more promiscuous sims use condoms if I *absolutely* don't want even a remote chance of pregnancy (no money for abortions lel). 1 or 2% is the sweet spot that I think relates well to how often pregnancies would happen IRL.

Bottom line: 15% if you want fertile sims, but only if you can remember to use condoms or doesn't mind a shit-ton of pregnancies going on until you learn to do so; 8% for faulty use of the pill; 2% for decent enough use of the pill and more lax gameplay.

[Tip: one thing that helps is to convert it to fractions to convey some intuition about what would suit, so for example 15% means around 1/7 of interactions would lead to pregnancy, 8% would mean around 1/12, etc.]

How to  use condoms?

My game is set to 1% for my sims, but 50% for the NPC sims, as I do want there to be a greater chance of pregnancy with those random hook ups. With a 1% setting my sims have on average 2 children, unless there is a teen pregnancy involved and then its about 3 children, because I do play on long. I think 1% is just right.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, FzzyDg8 said:

I have mine set at 25% and the npc birth rate almost non existent.  However, the other day I did see that Bella got caught in an extramarital affair and a baby was  produced.  I'm still laughing about that one.

Was that because of a special someone? Huehuehue...

(Bella is quote a popular sim I think.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 12:53 AM, JeteTheDef said:

One of the features I love the most about WickedWhims is the chance to become pregnant. I think it gives the game a much more organic feel than the default. So my question is really simple; What do you consider an average/fair/realistic pregnancy percentage? 

I know the question is inherently relative because it really depends on how much sex you make your sims have. But working within the confines of this relative nature, what is your ideal pregnancy percentage?

I think it depends on the scenario I am planning or playing. When I start a new game I come up with a general scenario that I play through. If it's a teen Sim part of the objective is to get him or her pregnant and be a single parent. I'll raise the percentage of risky in both MC Command Center and in Wicked Whims to help achieve this,. Birth control isn't automatic and only used when insisted upon. However when I play a scenario that starts with a young adult - elder I adjust everything to being not as high because pregnancy isn't an objective for the scenario , if it happens it happens and I can work around it. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived