SIMs 4 Mod Folder

Esteemed Creators of brilliance and Entertainment,

Can you clear something up for me?

Do Mods have to be UnZipped to the Mod Folder -or- can one simply drop in a Zipped folder into it?

If The latter is okay, will this also work with .rar files and 7Zip files?

I really appreciate the clarification and all the amazing work you do for us.

Thanks,

Mark

Captain_Karaoke

Here is a part of my "read me" on how to install mods for my stuff using a PC, (If that is what you have) that work for other as well. hope this will help you or any other that need help with this topic.

**** Installing info/support ****

Installing Creations or Mods:

All and any creations or game modifications should be placed in your Mods folder, (I.e.: C:\Users\(name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods)

Note: It may be in your best interest to create a personal folder so you can keep track of anything I do and if any creation throws an error via my work it would be easier to track it down. However any lots or sim character based creations (if any) will not work in that said folder and must be placed in its right full place Look below for details*

†Installing Lots or Sims:

If you downloaded a Sim or House or Lot from one of my locations or someone other than the Gallery, it needs to go in the Tray folder, not the Mods folder. (I.e.: C:\Users\(name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\tray)

Script file formats:

Please remember any script files/mods must NOT be unzipped and placed as it is (Zipped, 7zip, WinRAR, Etc.) but everything else should be.

Notice: Newer creation may/could contain the .ts4script extension which you can just leave as is and all you need to do is copy it as well.

.Package file formats:

All .package file extensions are totally fine to leave “as is” all you need to do is just right click on any of my creations, cut or copy it, then go to the Mods folder and paste. Override if it’s an update and request you to do so.

How to tell the differences in a zipped folder:

Double click on the zip and look inside at the file type:

If the file(s), have .pyo as its extension then it’s a script file and should remain zipped.

If it's a .package, just copy and/or unzip it form the folder, and place it in your mods folder. (Location detailed above).

• 10 months later...
On 12.6.2017 at 9:51 PM, Captain_Karaoke said:

Geschätzte Schöpfer von Brillanz und Unterhaltung,

Kannst du etwas für mich klären?

Müssen Mods in den Mod-Ordner entzippt werden -oder- kann man einfach einen Zip-Ordner hineinlegen?

Wenn Letzteres in Ordnung ist, funktioniert das auch mit .rar-Dateien und 7Zip-Dateien?

Ich schätze die Klärung und all die erstaunliche Arbeit, die Sie für uns tun.

Vielen Dank,

Kennzeichen

Kapitän_Karaoke

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Liamf94 said:

do they haveto be in certain folders

As long as everything is in the mods folder, it's fine, but organizing into subfolders will make it easier to update or delete broken mods. Use as many folders however deep you like, but script mods won't work if they're more than one folder deep. So anything with a "ts4script" extension can only be one folder deep, but everything else, with a package format can be put anywhere in the mods folder.

15 hours ago, Liamf94 said:

I have downloaded wickedwhims mod after how do I install animations do they have to be in the same folder as wickedwhims mods

They don't have to be in same folder but they won't work without WW anyway so I put them all in the same folder together mostly because I have enough other mod folders already  and don't want any more than are actually needed.

Since WW only uses 2 files, everything in that 1 folder is easily identified.    

Archived