[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

23 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

That's okay, because right now I actually recommend NOT playing, since Paradox said they will likely roll out a change to the infamous population mechanics. I'm already too deep into a save now though, so oh well, lol.

I'll play around with the code. I'm tweaking the code as I play. I've also been making a few additional portraits, mostly from Taimanin RPGX that I may as well share later if anyone wants to add more. The more the merrier with Stellaris.

One other thing is it looks like there's a missing closing bracket in 07_kagami_portraits.txt. The portrait_groups = {} code should encompass the entire second half of the file, but there's a line saying kagami= { that is adding an extra opening bracket. I'm thinking you can safely delete kagami = {

For general population art, I just use this:

Reveal hidden contents

#########################
##### SPECIES SCOPE #####
#########################        
species = {
	add = {
		portraits = {
			asagi
			asagi2
			edwin
		}
	}
}

I put it below the game_setup block. I'm thinking you can put your has_jobs in there too, but I'm still playing around with that. The jobs code is still new to me. What's great about pops is they don't care about gender as far as I can tell, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Yeah, one thing I can confirm is that jobs do not care about gender (then again, I could've sworn single-gender species were possible now, but I guess not without modding?). 

If you'd like to become my first (and only) contributor, I'd welcome it since, as acknowledged in the credits, this whole mod was inspired by your project all those years ago. And I've give you all the credit for any part of the code you contributed (I'd bother Nessassity about it more, but honestly she's helped me so much already and she's already busy updating EoS as it is). I have ~470 portraits as is, and artwork for a few dozen more, it's just been a combination of laziness and not wanting to release something that's....broken-ish. 

(Of course, if you have your own project in mind, I wouldn't blame you either--I'm pretty sure at least one other Kagami VN mod has popped up in the meantime, but I think that's only nude portraits. I'm actually thinking about incorporating sprite work from Inoue Takuya and possibly Homare (I've actually got 91 portraits in another side project, primarily from Homare and DeadMan/SMJIM1986, some of which would be suitabel too.) 

That's kind of how I've been doing my portraits is treating it like an anime portrait pack. It's just that Kagami is my favorite artist, so most of my stuff is from him. Homare and Inoue Takuya are also favorites of mine. I do have a few portraits from Homare I made that I'll share later. I don't really have an interest in doing a separate mod, since most of my stuff is in your gfx folder already anyways, so it'd be easier just gifting my stuff once I've made good progress.

I was doing projects for Crusader Kings 2, but that modding scene is practically dead, Game of Thrones is on life support, and Crusader Kings 3 doesn't support anime characters, so that freed me up, lol.

1 hour ago, Synthesis said:

I could've sworn single-gender species were possible now, but I guess not without modding?).

I'm not sure on single-gender, but I know it's possible to hide the gender label altogether, but that's kind of a poor solution. Some of the Azur Lane mods I tested don't even bother at all; they use female portraits designated as male in-game. I'll keep an eye out if I learn more.

I remember I got to the point where there were anime girls everywhere. There were animal girls that took over the Earth, the Kagami race which I treated as having to abandon the Earth (this was before the animal girls took it over too, a whole other weird lore I pieced together), a race of Kitsune that fled at the same time but went in the opposite direction, which split into two factions: psychic mofus, and Kitsune that said to hell with your ways and became a Hive Mind. Then I had my first anime girls from another planet which were an all female fighting race, where males are rare and are thus pampered like they're a quality resource while women have to do everything, and then some awful joke where a similar but different race of humans became accustomed to frozen worlds, using the word Tsundere and something with Sei in it (I think it was a Japanese word for home or planet, Tsunsei). Every one of these planets followed the dere naming scheme, with sei at the end of each one (because hurr durr tsunderes are cold).

I'm an idiot sometimes.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, ReMeDy said:

That's kind of how I've been doing my portraits is treating it like an anime portrait pack. It's just that Kagami is my favorite artist, so most of my stuff is from him. Homare and Inoue Takuya are also favorites of mine. I do have a few portraits from Homare I made that I'll share later. I don't really have an interest in doing a separate mod, since most of my stuff is in your gfx folder already anyways, so it'd be easier just gifting my stuff once I've made good progress.

I was doing projects for Crusader Kings 2, but that modding scene is practically dead, Game of Thrones is on life support, and Crusader Kings 3 doesn't support anime characters, so that freed me up, lol.

Haha, I see--I wondered what CK3 meant for the modding community with the entirely new character model system (I'll be sure to play it once it comes to Game Pass ?). But in that case, welcome aboard!

So, the tentative "Resurrect the Kagami" Project! Off the top of my head, here it what that will look like:

1) Wait until Stellaris, and non-optional (for me anyway) mods are actually updated so I can play the freaking game again. Maybe by the expansion if I can find it cheap. 

2) Take the working code for this voodoo version of Stellaris and implement a working model for rulers, leaders, and planetary pops (workers) and put the existing ~500 portraits into those. This is, in fact, a big step.

3) Update the unique Kagami traits (probably not hard?) and social policy options (probably hard).

4) Begin adding new art assets and then a release. 

Step 2 and 3 are, in fact, not actually easy, but who knows, maybe seeing it outlined in text helps. 

On a semi-related note, anyone been able to get the old Empress VN Cleavage (two guesses what that's about) working in Windows 10? Ever since I moved to my new PC, it crashes on reaching the main menu, whether in Locale Emulator, NTLEAS, etc. I wanna get some Sei Shoujo portrait artwork in here too. 

1 hour ago, MagnaSonic3000 said:

Some people say it was a mistake, I don't see the issue, but one of the reasons I never moved to 10 was because things I heard about certain programs being borked, namely all my Japanese games. It seems 10 does bork some things outside of my expected programs. Seems inconvenient.

I suppose that's reasonable, but I never had an issue with Cleavage in Windows 10 until my new PC--and considering I installed it, and can play it, on my Surface Pro, "It's actually my i7's fault" is just as plausible, if not more so, than "It's actually Windows 10's fault." And it even worked randomly one time, before it stopped working again. 

That's putting aside that staying on Windows 8.1 (which ironically is when I installed and played most of my VN library, albeit on a different hard drive) would basically box me out of a lot of graphics features employed by modern games, alongside PC Game Pass, etc.

Windows 7 would be hilariously worse. That's basically going back to the stone age. But of course, not everyone is playing Flight Simulator, etc. 

Assuming it did not completely ruin my text hooking/translation tools, I might be better off creating a virtual machine on my VN drive and running everything through that going forward. Which is, ironically, one of those things that's a lot easier to do on modern versions of Windows. Except a lot of people recommend making that completely offline, which means no online translation software...unless you keep the translation tools all in Windows 10 (which they run better in anyway). Interesting...

I'm not too bothered about the graphics limitations because the majority of my games are indies which usually don't have the budget for that kind of horsepower, or they have a certain style that doesn't even need that good of a GPU to make it look nice. Also I use it a lot for emulations of mostly ancient games which also includes things like DOS. So most of my library already either looks dated, or has been dated for over 10 years. Most of the kick coming from not upgrading to 10 is if you're the kind of person who tries to play all these modern games, which I play like 4 every year.

I wouldn't have spent this much on a new PC if I was only going to play 4 games.

Anyway, so, on the tentative version of Kagami 2.0 for 3.0.x, I've gotten leaders to work (through ReMeDy's efforts). Since scientists, generals, and admirals all seem to...mostly work, I just need to add an section for envoys (easy enough), assuming they're actually called "envoy" in the code, and then sort the categories.

Then the planetary pops. Still not clear if it's possible to sort these out between slaves and free, much less by strata/job. 

Oh boy. Still, it's a start. 

Yea, envoys work like any other class, so you can just copy, say, the scientist code and replace scientist with envoy. One annoying thing is you can't pick your envoys in-game from a character pool like you can most other classes, but rather they're auto-assigned to the player, so I recommend having a lot of envoy portraits to reduce the chance of duplicates. Unless I'm missing something, you also can't fire them, so there's no chance to reroll for a new portrait, besides using console shenanigans.

Delicious hidden content that the player has no way of managing because the game never tells you about such things. It is nice when people make a game that takes player agency away from you, especially since Stellaris is their most customizable game seeing as there aren't even any historical nations or figures to play as. It's all random.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:23 AM, ReMeDy said:

Yea, envoys work like any other class, so you can just copy, say, the scientist code and replace scientist with envoy. One annoying thing is you can't pick your envoys in-game from a character pool like you can most other classes, but rather they're auto-assigned to the player, so I recommend having a lot of envoy portraits to reduce the chance of duplicates. Unless I'm missing something, you also can't fire them, so there's no chance to reroll for a new portrait, besides using console shenanigans.

I don't believe so, in fact, I don't know if they die and are replaced either (presumably), but I suspect we're going to eventually seen an Envoy hiring pool and Envoy-related skills given what we've seen them do for communication protocols.

That just leaves the planetary pops. I'm fairly sure there are graphical presentations between gold, silver, and bronze job classes, and between free and enslaved, but god knows what any of that coding is. 

On 5/8/2021 at 11:04 AM, goldcut said:

Concerning mono gender I just edited the portrait txt file in a similar sense to that of

and the end result is good enough for Lustful Void based mono gendered species. I have attached the modified file so if you are interested you can take a look.

07_kagami_portraits.txt 83.32 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you. I'm not interested in a mono-gendered mod, but I do try and make the social policies (which adjust the percentages, at least in theory) work. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 9:54 PM, Synthesis said:

On a semi-related note, anyone been able to get the old Empress VN Cleavage (two guesses what that's about) working in Windows 10? Ever since I moved to my new PC, it crashes on reaching the main menu, whether in Locale Emulator, NTLEAS, etc. I wanna get some Sei Shoujo portrait artwork in here too. 

You could download them from here: https://e-hentai.org/g/836768/fc2d2c2950/ (nsfw obviously)
The portrait artwork is at the end.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hum.

The species class is Kagami.  Now, when Paradox introduced pop growth assembling with organics, they somehow tied it to the archetype 'Biological'.  It must have that class to be assembled from clone vats or hive spawning drones.

I'm...not sure what needs to be done, as you've got traits that require your archetype to be Kagami.

• 1 month later...