[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

On 6/12/2019 at 8:03 AM, Synthesis said:

So, my "plan" is to release an update for 2.3.x....once my own game will open without crashing. The pre-made Empires will work again (I have mostly fixed that), though as for portrait organization....no one can tell me how that works, so I have no idea if it does. It probably doesn't. I'll try and fix it when someone can actually tell me how. 

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by portrait organization, but there are a number of mods for 2.2/2.3 that add all sorts of portraits, quite a few on this very site.  Can't you just, like, use those as a reference?

On 6/15/2019 at 2:00 AM, snarfies said:

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by portrait organization, but there are a number of mods for 2.2/2.3 that add all sorts of portraits, quite a few on this very site.  Can't you just, like, use those as a reference?

That's not a bad idea, but I actually have to determine which ones have their portraits organized by profession. Most of them don't. I was talking to the extremely talented Nessa, who suggested looking at the Asari mod, which it probably manages it--but that uses clothing tiles, not entire portrait tiles. As I've learned the hard way, entire portraits work differently than portrait components, like clothing, unless they don't, which is sometimes the case, but usually isn't. It comes down to the difference in syntax, with some categories requiring inclusive pools and some categories requiring exclusive pools. 

As far as I know, none of this is written down anywhere. So it's not as simple as it sounds. Unless you'd like to help me. ?

(Don't forget, I'm terrible at modding in this game. Every time something breaks, I spend weeks trying to fix it, which is more than enough time for Paradox to decide they're tired of their ultimate solution and start working on a new one.) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am back after a long hiatus from Stellaris and this mod in general. Is what's preventing you from updating the mod is that you can't figure out how to separate portraits per stratum?  I don't think people will mind if we get a somewhat random mixture of pop portraits as long as there is variation in them.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 10:40 PM, CommanderHolt said:

Hello, I am back after a long hiatus from Stellaris and this mod in general. Is what's preventing you from updating the mod is that you can't figure out how to separate portraits per stratum?  I don't think people will mind if we get a somewhat random mixture of pop portraits as long as there is variation in them.

Probably not. Unfortunately, I stopped trying to fix the issue simply as a matter of being busy. 

But I've gone ahead and released an update where the traits and pre-made empires now work in the game. 

I haven't played 2.3 at all unfortunately (I'm waiting for the popular Origin Civics mod to be updated), so I really don't know any more of how to fix the issue (I've tried a couple ways to implement the portrait sorting, none of them work). For all I know, it's not possible to organized potraits like that anymore. 

Glad to see you back! I appreciate you updating the traits and pre-made empires to work again. However it still says the mod still n 2.1.1 version which is a minor annoyance, but there is a game breaking bug where Kagami pop have no food upkeep, at all. At first I thought it had to do with the Well Endowed trait, but that wasn't it, it appear to have something to do with Kagami archetype as a whole as other normal species consumed food as normal. I even checked the HCG Mod which is similar to this mod but just a simple straight portrait addon and it seems they also have food upkeep just fine.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:31 PM, CommanderHolt said:

Glad to see you back! I appreciate you updating the traits and pre-made empires to work again. However it still says the mod still n 2.1.1 version which is a minor annoyance, but there is a game breaking bug where Kagami pop have no food upkeep, at all. At first I thought it had to do with the Well Endowed trait, but that wasn't it, it appear to have something to do with Kagami archetype as a whole as other normal species consumed food as normal. I even checked the HCG Mod which is similar to this mod but just a simple straight portrait addon and it seems they also have food upkeep just fine.

Well, that will need to be fixed. Thanks for letting me know. No idea what could be causing it, but I suspect you are right.

I really love how Paradox keeps changing all this shit on a whim and doesn't actually tell anyone, as far as I know. 

On 8/22/2019 at 5:45 PM, zoomer24 said:

There's a bug where the city portrait for ecumenopolis worlds is broken. It just appears black.

Can anyone else confirm this is an issue?

I don't even know how to change city assets, much less implement it into the mod. I'd need to make sure it's not something else. 

On 8/27/2019 at 7:43 PM, Synthesis said:

Can anyone else confirm this is an issue?

I don't even know how to change city assets, much less implement it into the mod. I'd need to make sure it's not something else. 

I did have that issue on my last game, actually.  But I wasn't playing with a Kagami species, so I'm not sure how this mod would be involved?  I didn't try diagnosing it too hard.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:45 PM, toynbeeidea said:

I did have that issue on my last game, actually.  But I wasn't playing with a Kagami species, so I'm not sure how this mod would be involved?  I didn't try diagnosing it too hard.

In your case, it sounds like it had nothing to do with my mod, though I still can't rule it out completely. There's nothing in the mod that would change city art assets, as far as I know. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 3:41 PM, MagnaSonic3000 said:

A part of me wishes Paradox only patched the game every few months instead of the rapid pace they always seem to have. Mods barely survive.

Yeah, it's not very conducive to people who barely understand how the game worked, only to have Paradox change everything for reasons. Kagami mod works! You just need to play it back in 2.1, and unless someone wants to actually help me, there's nothing that's going to change that....

I am probably two major overhauls behind at this point (three if Paradox decides to put out another one, because why the hell not). Really, the only way I could hope to even approach getting this working again with the original basic functionality is with a lot of handholding, and I suspect no one would want to do that, quite understandably. Oh well. It was goo while it lasted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while but yeah the mod seems to work as intended even with all the updates they've been pumping out. In my case from way back was because I didn't have the correct dlc as you stated previously.

In regards to the current game and the way it handles mods I've noticed that in quite a few mods cases that seem to break the game or cause general instability is when the mod creator leaves a file in the mod that modifies the amount of points their species starts off with. Been making my own species in my personal time which led me to see that being a problem. That seems create conflicts with the base game if the mod manages to correctly load. Making a prescripted country seems to avoid that but seems like quite a few mod authors make it so their species can be custom made in the in game species creator to have X points. That doesn't seem to be the case with this mod so it works in kagami species case. Only thing I've noticed is running it by itself it only seems like the portraits are slightly off in their alignment. I suspect it's either load order, which is a thing, or people wanting this mod to work with their other mods which is understandable but not realistic. If skyrims taught me anything you can't have it all. Need to make concessions sometimes.

The bug in regards to the ecumenopolis seems to be in regards to the previously mentioned base game modifications and far outdated mods. I removed them both and ecumenopolis portraits worked again. In my case it was a star wars mod that was made for 1.6.2 and the touhou x warship mod that modified the values, at the time, of base game things that seemed to conflict. Still rather new at making my own mods but that's just my opinion on what I've been seeing said in the recent comments

If it's becoming a hassle to keep up with their updates I would be more than willing to wait for major game updates for this to ever be updated if it means it can live but if you are done with it thanks for the mod and your time.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 6:44 AM, dolco said:

May I pick some of the pictures from your mod and add them to my portrait mod that I might be posting in the future?

Thank you for asking! I would request that you not (since believe it or not, I kind of think I can maybe do something with this mod or something?).

That being said, I can point you in the direction of the original artwork assets if you want, just PM me if so. 

Hi, I may be asking a question that is covered already or I'm just plain blind. I apologize if I missed it anywhere.

Upon starting a new game all the initial recruitables all have the same racial portrait of Lieri, and I'm not certain if I'm missing something in the install or anything. The issue arose both with only this mod enabled, and a separate save with only a few others as well. Do I just have to play until a new stack of leaders comes along, or am I just foolish?

Hmm, I was using the trade league base ones from the mod and all the leaders (scientists, generals, governers, and admirals) are all the same portrait. I feel like I'm missing something somewhere that I just didn't read.

stellaris_2020-04-19_14-47-43.png