[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

Uh oh. This is indeed a new bug. I literally ran the mod a few times as a precaution before I uploaded the new file with no issue.

Thank you for letting me know. If this isn't ironed out quickly, I'll look into distribution a version of the mod with the necessary Descriptor file. 

Looking into the issue I just added a descriptor file to the mod folder (which was just identical to the mod file), and recaching the launcher. Still had the same leader portraits issue, but at least I fixed the issue of the launcher not recognizing the mod, which was admittedly not a tough fix.

The launcher is terrible, but from what I'm understanding, the descriptor.MOD issue might be fixed in short order.

The issue with leader portraits is a lot worse. I'm not sure when this came about (possibly 2.6?), but it's basically half (or more) of the whole point of the mod: distinct leader portraits. Paradox changing how everything worked and breaking the pop portrait system was bad enough, this is even worse. The fact that it's using the generic species portrait (Lieri) tells me a little bit but not much...hopefully it's possible to fix it and preserve the governors/scientists/admirals/generals classification. If not, what's the point? 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/3/2020 at 5:36 AM, Gilgamesh404 said:

Just wanted to report that while 1.13 does indeed have only Lieri for pop portraits, version 1.11 of the mod works just fine. Not sure why, to be honest.

Well, that's a surprising development, but thank you for sharing that. I may have to look into it (since it's not that hard to add the additional content from later versions into an earlier mod release). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that 1.11 portraits still work and 1.13 ones do not for some reason. The ruler default potrait bug is incredibly annoying, since you have to manually edit your save file every time your ruler is replaced, which can be troublesome for democracy or oligarchic factions. Has the mod author considered perhaps making a thread on paradox forum to get an explanation on how to fix this? There exist other mods which change the characters portraits but do not seem to suffer from this issue.

All in all though, I would like to encourage the author  to continue developing this mod.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 8:23 PM, teitogun said:

I can confirm that 1.11 portraits still work and 1.13 ones do not for some reason. The ruler default potrait bug is incredibly annoying, since you have to manually edit your save file every time your ruler is replaced, which can be troublesome for democracy or oligarchic factions. Has the mod author considered perhaps making a thread on paradox forum to get an explanation on how to fix this? There exist other mods which change the characters portraits but do not seem to suffer from this issue.

All in all though, I would like to encourage the author  to continue developing this mod.

For some reason, LL is not particularly good at alerting me when people post to this thread.

To answer your reasonable questions: what you're describing is a bug that has existed since the earliest version of the game (hence instructions how to "fix" it), because of how Paradox handles swapping your empire's leader portrait. Paradox then changed how portraits are assigned by occupation roles (which was sort of 90% of the whole mod), and I've still yet to figure out how to reorganize them because...that information isn't readily available. Feel free to share if you know. ?

Also, the Paradox Forums are incredibly useless, or they were the last time I asked, in this area. After a week of waiting, the reply I got was, "Yeah, that's a bug. Not sure what causes it." 

On 12/16/2020 at 4:17 PM, Cmdpuretide said:

for V 1.11 or 1.13?

That's quite interesting--the changes to the CFG file were probably a stopgap fix for some stupid bug Paradox added to their own system rules but fixed promptly after. Thanks for sharing!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your work. I really like the portraits in your mod. They are very beautiful.

But I found that in addition to building a race, you can choose a leader portrait. In the subsequent game process, the pictures of all the leaders are the same.

Is there a way to make a different portrait of the leader in the game?

10.png

• 1 month later...

Back from a long break. Getting back into Stellaris with the release of the new Nemesis expansion.

Okay, so regarding the succession issue (ie. when the default ruler is duplicated multiple times), the code is setup wrong in 07_kagami_portraits.txt. In the ruler section, that should instead be part of the leader scope. Inside the leader block in the code, you'll use leader_class = ruler.

Spoiler

# Female
			add = {
				trigger = {
					leader_class = ruler 
					gender = female
				}
				portraits = {
					oboro
					beatrice
					maya
				}
			}
			# Male
			add = {
				trigger = {
					leader_class = ruler 
					gender = male
				}
				portraits = {
					edwin
					eiji
					serio
				}
			}

Basically, screw the ruler scope; delete it out. Instead, treat the code like it's a new profession called Ruler. I also recommend the Ruler list match the same list as the game_setup list, and I also wouldn't let either list share any portraits from the other classes, otherwise the AI will eventually spawn portraits shared by the Ruler, which can be a bit jarring for the player.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:56 AM, ReMeDy said:

Back from a long break. Getting back into Stellaris with the release of the new Nemesis expansion.

Okay, so regarding the succession issue (ie. when the default ruler is duplicated multiple times), the code is setup wrong in 07_kagami_portraits.txt. In the ruler section, that should instead be part of the leader scope. Inside the leader block in the code, you'll use leader_class = ruler.

Reveal hidden contents

# Female
			add = {
				trigger = {
					leader_class = ruler 
					gender = female
				}
				portraits = {
					oboro
					beatrice
					maya
				}
			}
			# Male
			add = {
				trigger = {
					leader_class = ruler 
					gender = male
				}
				portraits = {
					edwin
					eiji
					serio
				}
			}

Basically, screw the ruler scope; delete it out. Instead, treat the code like it's a new profession called Ruler. I also recommend the Ruler list match the same list as the game_setup list, and I also wouldn't let either list share any portraits from the other classes, otherwise the AI will eventually spawn portraits shared by the Ruler, which can be a bit jarring for the player.

The mythical father returns!

I agree with your diagnosis about an exclusive category for just rulers (namely, this would probably just involve cutting rulers down to a couple dozen exclusive "dynamic" portraits, and leaving everything else for leaders--any shortages can just be made up with volume from the Battle Arena art assets). The code is very interesting, and promising, assuming I can figure out how to do it. However, I'm still stuck with the issue that I have no idea how general population art works now. ?

Also, it's not really a dealbreaker, but I don't own the latest expansion and I probably won't actually play the game again until Elves of Stellaris updates (just like every other time the game updates and breaks everything); but that wouldn't really stop me from doing some work necessarily. 

That's okay, because right now I actually recommend NOT playing, since Paradox said they will likely roll out a change to the infamous population mechanics. I'm already too deep into a save now though, so oh well, lol.

I'll play around with the code. I'm tweaking the code as I play. I've also been making a few additional portraits, mostly from Taimanin RPGX that I may as well share later if anyone wants to add more. The more the merrier with Stellaris.

One other thing is it looks like there's a missing closing bracket in 07_kagami_portraits.txt. The portrait_groups = {} code should encompass the entire second half of the file, but there's a line saying kagami= { that is adding an extra opening bracket. I'm thinking you can safely delete kagami = {

For general population art, I just use this:

Spoiler

#########################
##### SPECIES SCOPE #####
#########################        
species = {
	add = {
		portraits = {
			asagi
			asagi2
			edwin
		}
	}
}

I put it below the game_setup block. I'm thinking you can put your has_jobs in there too, but I'm still playing around with that. The jobs code is still new to me. What's great about pops is they don't care about gender as far as I can tell, so that's one less thing to worry about.