Has anyone seen this problem before?

nufndash

Ok first of all I will say I have a 100% paid for version of Skyrim through steam.  I have started to see this problem pop up here and there and I have no clue what is going on.  Every once and a while I will be poking around the DATA file and I will come across a file that Windows will pop up and say I don't have administrative permission to view. I cant delete the file, I cant open the file, I can't even change the ownership of the file(a suggestion I got off google search).  One such file was the SHAPE DATA file in Bodyslide, another was the HUMANBODY mesh file for the PSQ mod, and several others that seem to be quite random. It is driving me crazy, the only way I know something is going on, is things start not to work right and its a needle in a haystack search for these files.  After several hours around google and such, I was able to find on a Windows 10 forum page, the fact that I can go into the c-prompt mode and turn on the special administrator. Then I can get into the files, but they always say this file is empty.  I re-install the mod and things work again, but the problem just seems to keep reappearing. 

I'm to the point, I think I will just un-install Skyrim and nuke-it from space, and start over, but I'm not sure what is going on, could this be some kind of a virus?  I'm looking for anything here, even just opinions.  I don't even know if there is error log to look at.  I don't know if this matters, but I use WEBROOT and have scanned my computer numerous times without a single risk showing up.

I really appreciate any information you might have or ideas, and I will thank you in advance for your time.  I could have tried several other help forums, but I have found the people here are much more responsive to helping others, and there are some real geniuses when it comes to computers.

I forgot to mention I am using Windows 10.  

I have no Windows 10 (thank god).

Can it be that Steam Overlay annoys you?

In the Steam -> Properties of Skyrim -> you can disable it.

And Admin rights for Skyrim Launcher / SKSE Launcher should also be.

As I said - no idea of Windows 10 - just such a thought.

are you using MO?  if so then: make sure you have admin set up on MO and any exe. files your using.  You have to go in and manually set each exe. file.   I had to dig around on my windows user directory and enable that for admin too.  try turning off your security before you enable.  just a thought.

If you are just installing to the steam/data file directly, you run into mannnny permission issues.  If you are not using MO i would suggest switching to it, not that MO is perfect but it tends to overall be easier to mod skyrim using it.  Also follow the STEP modding instructions, it will save you alot of headache.  

http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.2

There are lots of guides on Ytube too.  Gopher does a GREAT job of walking you through stuff. 

https://www.gophersvids.com/?storyboard_cat=tutorials

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76373/?

Hope that helps.

Omg this windows 10 SUCKS.  Thank you all for your help, I decided to start over, new Skyrim install, change over to MO from NMM( I got started with NMM because of Gopher and just never felt the need to switch), and make a clean save game for backups, which I should have done all along.  So here is where I am at with this bastard of a problem.  Turned off the Steam overlays, looked through antivirus logs, nothing, I usually download the mods off LL and just install with NMM, but I will confess, on occasion I have switched out a mesh or a texture here or there, so yes I have installed stuff right to the DATA file.  I never had a problem doing that before, BUT, I was also using Windows 7.  

So here I am and I have decided to start a new Skyrim from scratch, scale down my mods to only the ones I really use, and go for stability as apposed to downloading every LL mod that rolls out the door.  First step is to get rid of any and all previous Skyrim files first right? So I go into Doc's and delete the my games folder with the Skyrim saves and what not, then I went into Steam and did the Delete all local files, so off to a good start right?  We'll then I was making sure everything was gone and what the hell, my Skyrim folder is still in C/Program files/steam/steamapps/ common/ Skyrim.  Well SOB I will just delete it manually, and wouldn't you know it "You don't have Administrative Privileges to do that". :@  :@  :@  :@  :@  :@  :@  :@   :@  I have logged on as Administrator, my own account, I have gone into safe mode and tried there, and after 6 or 7 hours, and reading forum after forum about windows 10, the  dam thing won't budge.  I have also tried something called taking ownership of the file????? Never did that before but it didn't work.  The PC is less than three months old, but I'm having a hard time not tossing it out the window. 

Go on the Skyrim install directory, right click on it, and on the Security tab give to it all permission to "Everybody".

With this trick I have zero problem on doing stuff, also if I usually run with limited privileges.

It has to do with how Windows treats installations. I don't understand the details of it, but I have found that right-clicking an installer and choosing 'Run as Administrator' eliminates a lot of that. I also set the .exe files to default to Run as Administrator. I am not sure how much of a good idea this is, but I also reset the security settings of the Data folder to let Users, System, etc to have Full Control.

Archived