ECE just won't play nice

blu377

Hi all, I'm at my wits end now, I've googled it numerous times & tried all the things I came across. I recently installed a fresh Skyrim & I'm using MO to launch, download mods & LOOT etc all running perfect. My problem is ECE just refuses to respond at all, no sliders, no slots presets, nothing & I have no idea why, any help would be immensely appreciated.

I always get this message after running the game in overwrite in MO if it's any use: skse>plugins>then a log titled CharacterMakingExtender.log & when I open it I have the message: skse_ExCharGen_plugin

load
    ERROR: cannot access .ini.

I'm hoping I've just been really dense & not realised what the problem is ( I'll probably kick myself ).

Thanks.

posting the Load order would be helpful, it could be an addon or a mod that utilizes your ECE features so try there

Hi, thanks for replying, here's my load order

Loading mod list:

(0 -> 0) Skyrim.esm

(1 -> 1) Update.esm

(2 -> 2) Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

(3 -> 3) Dawnguard.esm

(4 -> 4) Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

(5 -> 5) HearthFires.esm

(6 -> 6) Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp

(7 -> 7) Dragonborn.esm

(8 -> 8) Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

(9 -> 9) hdtHighHeel.esm

(10 -> 10) HighResTexturePack01.esp

(11 -> 11) HighResTexturePack02.esp

(12 -> 12) HighResTexturePack03.esp

(13 -> 13) FNIS.esp

(14 -> 14) dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp

(15 -> 15) XPMSE.esp

(16 -> 16) UnreadBooksGlow.esp

(17 -> 17) SkyUI.esp

(18 -> 18) Auto Killcam Screenshot.esp

(19 -> 19) FEMALE-CHILDS-WALK-AS-MALE.esp

(20 -> 20) TAZ_killcamtweak.esp

(21 -> 21) dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp

(22 -> 22) dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp

(23 -> 23) EnhancedLightsandFX.esp

(24 -> 24) ELFX - Exteriors.esp

(25 -> 25) FNISspells.esp

(26 -> 26) ELFXEnhancer.esp

(27 -> 27) Eyes of Aber.esp

(28 -> 28) FacelightPlus.esp

(29 -> 29) UIExtensions.esp

(30 -> 30) AddItemMenu2.esp

(31 -> 31) KS Hairdo's.esp

(32 -> 32) ShadderHeelsSeasonOne.esp

(33 -> 255) TreestumpConversions.esp

(34 -> 33) UNPPantyhose.esp

(35 -> 34) RevampedExteriorFog.esp

(36 -> 35) ENB Snow FX.esp

(37 -> 36) Further Dark Dungeons for ENB.esp

(38 -> 255) Apex Senior.esp

(39 -> 37) Bayonetta.esp

(40 -> 38) zzjayHentaisConversions.esp

(41 -> 39) RaceMenu.esp

(42 -> 40) RaceMenuPlugin.esp

(43 -> 41) Alternate Start - Live Another Life.e

posting the Load order would be helpful, it could be an addon or a mod that utilizes your ECE features so try there

Loading mod list:

(0 -> 0) Skyrim.esm

(1 -> 1) Update.esm

(3 -> 3) Dawnguard.esm

(5 -> 5) HearthFires.esm

(7 -> 7) Dragonborn.esm

(9 -> 9) hdtHighHeel.esm

(13 -> 13) FNIS.esp

(15 -> 15) XPMSE.esp

(17 -> 17) SkyUI.esp

(39 -> 37) Bayonetta.esp

(41 -> 39) RaceMenu.esp

I since got rid of ECE for now, but would still like to solve the problem, just added Race Menu until I have some luck with ECE.

Loading mod list:

(0 -> 0) Skyrim.esm

(1 -> 1) Update.esm

(3 -> 3) Dawnguard.esm

(5 -> 5) HearthFires.esm

(7 -> 7) Dragonborn.esm

(9 -> 9) hdtHighHeel.esm

(13 -> 13) FNIS.esp

(15 -> 15) XPMSE.esp

(17 -> 17) SkyUI.esp

(39 -> 37) Bayonetta.esp

(41 -> 39) RaceMenu.esp

Loading mod list:

(0 -> 0) Skyrim.esm

(1 -> 1) Update.esm

(3 -> 3) Dawnguard.esm

(5 -> 5) HearthFires.esm

(7 -> 7) Dragonborn.esm

(9 -> 9) hdtHighHeel.esm

(13 -> 13) FNIS.esp

(15 -> 15) XPMSE.esp

(17 -> 17) SkyUI.esp

(39 -> 37) Bayonetta.esp

(41 -> 39) RaceMenu.esp

I since got rid of ECE for now, but would still like to solve the problem, just added Race Menu until I have some luck with ECE.

Seems MO2 was the culprit, as soon as I reverted back to v1.3.11 ECE responded fully. MO2 is stated clearly for testing purposes only, so my own fault I guess  :lol:. Anyway, thanks for replying Smack.

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2016 at 9:56 AM, blu377 said:

Seems MO2 was the culprit, as soon as I reverted back to v1.3.11 ECE responded fully. MO2 is stated clearly for testing purposes only, so my own fault I guess  :lol:. Anyway, thanks for replying Smack.

I'm using MO2 and have around 200 mods installed and working perfectly, however, I do have a problem with ECE too, a bit different to the above, it loads the appropriate face for nords but won't do so for all other vanilla races, the presets work, but the head mesh doesn't look right, I'm using Leyenda skin, so it's quite noticeable, my nords head is smooth and fair looking, while other races get the preset changes but the skin looks rough and vanilla like, I have looked everywhere for an answer to why this is, including the MO2 page, but nobody seems to know what's causing it.

I can't just use Racemenu either, I tried it but loads of stuff is broken with it for me, half the sliders don't change anything and it doesn't seem controller friendly, most importantly I think I had the same issue with the races that I did with ECE, the character modelling mods are the only things misbehaving for me right now and they are the MOST important part of my skyrim experience, I feel so burnt out from it, been trying to figure it out since NMM went bananas and I had to switch to another manager, MO2 was the only one I could get to work with most things, and it works for everything BUT ECE and Racemenu... Arrrrgh... give me strength. :(

I use MO2 version 2.1.3

Actually forgot I made this post, getting old now....lol :(

I wished I had a solution Anon, but since that post I've still been using MO v1.3 and I think I'll stick with it too, I don't see any sense of me upgrading if the version I'm using isn't breaking my game :)

I hope you have some luck, but if I come across any information in the meantime I'll let you know.

13 minutes ago, blu377 said:

Actually forgot I made this post, getting old now....lol :(

I wished I had a solution Anon, but since that post I've still been using MO v1.3 and I think I'll stick with it too, I don't see any sense of me upgrading if the version I'm using isn't breaking my game :)

I hope you have some luck, but if I come across any information in the meantime I'll let you know ?

what is MO?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 12:07 PM, Grey Cloud said:

Serious? It's Mod Organiser.

I really don't have 100% proof, but as soon as I reverted back to 1.3 version, ECE decided to play nicely. In MO's defence though it was in beta back then, so maybe it's fine now, no idea, I just about get time to play these days so I'll stick with what is working until I do get more time to experiment again.

8 hours ago, blu377 said:

I really don't have 100% proof, but as soon as I reverted back to 1.3 version, ECE decided to play nicely. In MO's defence though it was in beta back then, so maybe it's fine now, no idea, I just about get time to play these days so I'll stick with what is working until I do get more time to experiment again.

I can't seem to find any information on my issue, it's sad, I already tried MO1, and I couldn't get that to work properly, I think even tho it would install things, the virtual data folder wouldn't reflect on the game, or so I surmised, as nothing I installed would show up in game.

I've installed over 200 mods with MO2 and everything works other than ECE, I've asked in every place I thought was relevent, but nobody had an answer, sometimes literally, a few places I just got ignored :(  it's so frustrating, from my own meager knowledge of modding, I can say that the issue is most likely a pathing error, one of ECE's ini's or possibly MO2's setup isn't recognizing ECE's instruction to alter the faces of non-nord characters, the issue affects both my character and npc's, even installing npc replacers results in their head shape being changed but the texture isn't altered with them.

I don't know what to do, I've already tried all the managers, I had some kind of random issue with all of them and MO2 was the only one I could get to work right, to think I can't get my game to look the way I want it to because of one silly random occurrence, it's pretty disheartening.

18 hours ago, AnonAngelion said:

I can't seem to find any information on my issue, it's sad, I already tried MO1, and I couldn't get that to work properly, I think even tho it would install things, the virtual data folder wouldn't reflect on the game, or so I surmised, as nothing I installed would show up in game.

I've installed over 200 mods with MO2 and everything works other than ECE, I've asked in every place I thought was relevent, but nobody had an answer, sometimes literally, a few places I just got ignored :(  it's so frustrating, from my own meager knowledge of modding, I can say that the issue is most likely a pathing error, one of ECE's ini's or possibly MO2's setup isn't recognizing ECE's instruction to alter the faces of non-nord characters, the issue affects both my character and npc's, even installing npc replacers results in their head shape being changed but the texture isn't altered with them.

I don't know what to do, I've already tried all the managers, I had some kind of random issue with all of them and MO2 was the only one I could get to work right, to think I can't get my game to look the way I want it to because of one silly random occurrence, it's pretty disheartening.

Really sorry to hear that, I know only too well how disheartening it can be when a problem like this arises and it just adds to the frustration when you have had it all up and running with exactly the same mods and same set up in the past. 

I wish I had an answer or even a suggestion you could try, but I can't think of anything you most likely haven't already tried like installing all over again etc. As of now MO v1.3.14 still continues to work with ECE for me.

I would never of put it down to MO being the culprit, but as soon as I exhausted pretty much every other option I thought I might as well revert back from MO2 just on the off chance and it so happens ECE started working again, it is very strange. I wish you all the best in making it work again, if I have any idea's in the meantime I'll be sure to let you know as soon as possible :)

On 7/21/2018 at 3:28 PM, blu377 said:

Really sorry to hear that, I know only too well how disheartening it can be when a problem like this arises and it just adds to the frustration when you have had it all up and running with exactly the same mods and same set up in the past. 

I wish I had an answer or even a suggestion you could try, but I can't think of anything you most likely haven't already tried like installing all over again etc. As of now MO v1.3.14 still continues to work with ECE for me.

I would never of put it down to MO being the culprit, but as soon as I exhausted pretty much every other option I thought I might as well revert back from MO2 just on the off chance and it so happens ECE started working again, it is very strange. I wish you all the best in making it work again, if I have any idea's in the meantime I'll be sure to let you know as soon as possible :)

I thank you for the regard. :)

I do think it is highly likely due to MO2 being slightly incompatible, not sure exactly what's different about it, but I did hear that MO2 was designed to be used with Skyrim SE, tho I was told the manager is compatible with LE too, My hunch is that there is a slight incompatibility between LE's versions of the Racemenu editors and MO2, I've checked the files/ini's from ECE and MO2's Skyrim ini's, the only thing I could notice was different from how it used to be from NMM was that I could only find... (and it's been awhile since I looked so I hope memory serves) a "DefaultRace.Chargen/Head.nif/" one of those, my NMM setup had a nif for each race, Breton.nif, Darkelf.nif, or Chargen, I forget which but it was one of those.

I haven't been able to track down what exactly handles the distribution of the head textures in ECE, the only suspicious file being an ini in ECE's folder that has a bunch of techno jargon regarding race specification and I think it had some lines about "Brush smoothing" or something, sounded like a texture thing.

I feel that could be the thing that executes the changes but I need someone who knows how ECE works on a code level to tell me if everything is as it should be, I tried contacting the author for that of course but I got no reply. :( if only I could get someone to take a look.

Archived