Alternate Start Issue (Warlock's Thrall)

MsOtaku

Started yet another new game and chose "I am a Warlock's Thrall" via the Mara statue in the cell in Alternate Start. I've seen videos on YouTube so I knew what to expect and it looked neat. However, when I was transported to the cave nothing happened. There was only an apprentice there working with an enchanting or alchemy table, didn't have anything to say in regards to my PC...

Anyone experience this problem? I've got the latest version of the mod and it's at the very bottom of my load order. I've tried different starts and they have all worked. I haven't tried them all, though.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Or am I just cursed with Skyrim?

That sounds like what should happen. The Ring the quest entry says you found in the guts of the fish, allows you to do whatever you like, or at least broke the spell that was over you. It is odd that the Mage who spawns in that cave doesn't really react to your character negatively given that, especially since it can take quite some time before they properly react to you attacking them.

That's normal for that start. They become hostile if you get far enough away from the cave, but that's about it.

If you're looking for more content for that scenario (and others), I recommend Escape the Cell. The Warlock's Thrall scenario gets quite an overhaul with that mod. Immersion-breaking warning though, if that's a turn-off. ;)

That sounds like what should happen. The Ring the quest entry says you found in the guts of the fish, allows you to do whatever you like, or at least broke the spell that was over you. It is odd that the Mage who spawns in that cave doesn't really react to your character negatively given that, especially since it can take quite some time before they properly react to you attacking them.

Yeah, every video I've seen shows their PC being spawned into the cave, a fight begins with two NPCs, and one becomes your follower. Skip to 23:19 on this video. That's why I'm so confused.

That's normal for that start. They become hostile if you get far enough away from the cave, but that's about it.

If you're looking for more content for that scenario (and others), I recommend Escape the Cell. The Warlock's Thrall scenario gets quite an overhaul with that mod. Immersion-breaking warning though, if that's a turn-off. ;)

I walked out of the cave and the apprentice didn't care. I will download Escape the Cell. I'm just trying to figure out why my new start doesn't look like the one in the video.

Here's another one. The apprentice that was there when I arrived was a pissed off guy not the lady or the Argonian.

I walked out of the cave and the apprentice didn't care. I will download Escape the Cell. I'm just trying to figure out why my new start doesn't look like the one in the video.

Here's another one. The apprentice that was there when I arrived was a pissed off guy not the lady or the Argonian.

The warlocks in that cave don't care if you leave the cave until you get farther away. I don't remember exactly how far away the trigger is, but you've got to get out of the area before they go hostile if you come back. Much shorter distance than, say, walking to Shor's Stone, but still farther away than just out of the cave.

In vanilla LAL (without mods like Escape the Cell, or if a mod like Populated Dungeons adds people to that cave idk), there's only one warlock inside the cave IIRC and one sitting on a rock outside. Neither of them are hostile, neither of them care if you're there or not, neither of them care if you leave the cave until you get far enough away.

The video you linked is not how that start normally works. :) Which video was it you first referenced that had some extra stuff you're missing?

The warlocks in that cave don't care if you leave the cave until you get farther away. I don't remember exactly how far away the trigger is, but you've got to get out of the area before they go hostile if you come back. Much shorter distance than, say, walking to Shor's Stone, but still farther away than just out of the cave.

In vanilla LAL (without mods like Escape the Cell, or if a mod like Populated Dungeons adds people to that cave idk), there's only one warlock inside the cave IIRC and one sitting on a rock outside. Neither of them are hostile, neither of them care if you're there or not, neither of them care if you leave the cave until you get far enough away.

The video you linked is not how that start normally works. :) Which video was it you first referenced that had some extra stuff you're missing?

The 30 minute one that shows "all" the starts. I linked it up above. I thought it was neat to start off as a simple slave and end up with a cool follower. The second video was sort of the same but, the Argonian didn't just simply follow the person's PC like in the first video. In the latter, in the comments below the video, someone said that the Argonian was not there and someone mentioned that it was probably because of a mod he had (which I have installed). But, no one asked these questions in the first video I saw so I assumed that's how it started and assumed there was something wrong with AS and that particular start in my game.

Hmm....how peculiar.

The 30 minute one that shows "all" the starts. I linked it up above. I thought it was neat to start off as a simple slave and end up with a cool follower. The second video was sort of the same but, the Argonian didn't just simply follow the person's PC like in the first video. In the latter, in the comments below the video, someone said that the Argonian was not there and someone mentioned that it was probably because of a mod he had (which I have installed). But, no one asked these questions in the first video I saw so I assumed that's how it started and assumed there was something wrong with AS and that particular start in my game.

Hmm....how peculiar.

Yeah, probably a mod then. :(

If you're interested in other alternate starts too, there are a couple of mods out there that add to LAL, either enhancements or new scenarios:

New beginnings

Devious Bashnag

Immerslave

LADL

CCAS

There's also Skyrim Unbound, but I haven't tried it.

p.s. If you're still interested in succubus play, I don't know if you've tried Deadly Drain or PSQ. Sexlab Hormones also offers succubus enhancements, and CCAS has a succubus starting scenario (one each for Deadly Drain and PSQ actually, but they're identical scenarios).

Hmm....how peculiar.

Yeah, probably a mod then. :(

If you're interested in other alternate starts too, there are a couple of mods out there that add to LAL, either enhancements or new scenarios:

New beginnings

Devious Bashnag

Immerslave

LADL

CCAS

There's also Skyrim Unbound, but I haven't tried it.

p.s. If you're still interested in succubus play, I don't know if you've tried Deadly Drain or PSQ. Sexlab Hormones also offers succubus enhancements, and CCAS has a succubus starting scenario (one each for Deadly Drain and PSQ actually, but they're identical scenarios).

I've used AS with ImmerSlave before and had a blast, I just don't want to start off as a full bondage slave right now. But, thank you for the other suggestions! And yes, my character still looks like a succubus but, that's about it. :) I'll check out those mods you linked. I really appreciate it!

The video shows the name of that follower is Among-The-Hist. A quick google search reveals that he is added by the mod Interesting NPCs.

I have interesting NPCs. That's why I thought it was super odd that he wasn't there.

I've used Unbound a lot, and it is for a different kind of start, I guess.

It doesn't have the story based starts that the LAL chain does, but it also makes dragons completely optional. You can do the civil war quest without the tower dragon or dragonstone dungeon crawl.  It also makes shouts optional, disabled, or auto-unlocked when you find the wall.

It doesn't have the story based starts that the LAL chain does, but it also makes dragons completely optional. You can do the civil war quest without the tower dragon or dragonstone dungeon crawl.  It also makes shouts optional, disabled, or auto-unlocked when you find the wall.

That sounds really neat. I'll keep it in mind. So many options to choose from now! :D

That sounds really neat. I'll keep it in mind. So many options to choose from now! :D

Forgot to mention that Escape the Cell mod works with Unbound just as well, but the major limit for Unbound, for me, is the limited starting selections.  It seems wierd to say, since you can pick most cities, towns or villages and a number of wilderness places, but that's the cost of the lack of story based connections. The last update added an option to start as Imperial or Stormcloak or Forsworn or Bandit, but those don't connect with start locations, and just seem to add you to the faction.  As in, if you go to Riften as an Imperial, the guards outside try to kill you.

I have interesting NPCs. That's why I thought it was super odd that he wasn't there.

If you are using the Alternative Locations plugin(for Interesting NPCs), which is made for compatibility with LAL, it moves Among-The-Hist to a different location, a copy of a different cave - which I have no idea where that is. It isn't needed, since other than being able to get him as a follower right away, there are no other issues. 

If you are using the Alternative Locations plugin(for Interesting NPCs), which is made for compatibility with LAL, it moves Among-The-Hist to a different location, a copy of a different cave - which I have no idea where that is. It isn't needed, since other than being able to get him as a follower right away, there are no other issues. 

Oh! That makes sense! Thank you!

Forgot to mention that Escape the Cell mod works with Unbound just as well, but the major limit for Unbound, for me, is the limited starting selections.  It seems wierd to say, since you can pick most cities, towns or villages and a number of wilderness places, but that's the cost of the lack of story based connections. The last update added an option to start as Imperial or Stormcloak or Forsworn or Bandit, but those don't connect with start locations, and just seem to add you to the faction.  As in, if you go to Riften as an Imperial, the guards outside try to kill you.

I just downloaded Escape the Cell and am about to play. Everyone cross your fingers or sacrifice something for me so that it works! jfraser botched a goat sacrifice for me the other day so I blame all of this on him! (Inside joke) ;) Love ya, jfraser!!!

• 5 months later...

Oh! That makes sense! Thank you!

I just downloaded Escape the Cell and am about to play. Everyone cross your fingers or sacrifice something for me so that it works! jfraser botched a goat sacrifice for me the other day so I blame all of this on him! (Inside joke) ;) Love ya, jfraser!!!

this was written last november and i just found it now. LL needs an "@Mention" system.

also, i have changed goat suppliers. hopefully that fixes that issue. ;)

Archived