Not many High Heels for NetImmerse Override, why?

Roggvir

I am just wondering, why aren't there many high heels for NiO?

...i presume most ppl are using RaceMenu anyway, which is already shipped containing NiO, so it seems logical to update hh mods to NiO, no?

I converted some myself (but not released it, because i didn't receive permissions).

Is there some practical reason behind the lack of NiO high heels?

(apart from the fact that converting from HDT to NiO requires approx. 2 minutes of time spent by opening the mesh in NifSkope to do some laughably simple edit and opening the plugin in TES5Edit to clean it from HDT stuff)

I am just wondering, why aren't there many high heels for NiO?

...i presume most ppl are using RaceMenu anyway, which is already shipped containing NiO, so it seems logical to update hh mods to NiO, no?

I converted some myself (but not released it, because i didn't receive permissions).

Is there some practical reason behind the lack of NiO high heels?

(apart from the fact that converting from HDT to NiO requires approx. 2 minutes of time spent by opening the mesh in NifSkope to do some laughably simple edit and opening the plugin in TES5Edit to clean it from HDT stuff)

It takes more than 2 minutes,

To really get in depth with your potential answer requires me to use more of my brain than I like too..

But here goes.

Despite the apparent ease to convert to use NIO.

Not every author knows of NIO, cares enough about Skyrim, or is willing to give more of their free time for a game that has a whole heck of a lot of "stuff" hitting ceiling fans going on with mod theft.

Too put icing on said "stuff" the author of said heels that are not converted may not always be up for conversions.

If said mod is up for conversions than the answer simply comes down to this,

Its been converted already and your just unable to find it.

IF said mod is on Lock down,

Its been converted already and your just unable to find it.

Has this been helpful.

Yes

No

Of course if ppl abandoned their stuff, or modding in general, or if they dont know about NiO, etc., then they dont do it, but thats not what i was asking.

What i meant to ask was "is there any technical reason (or possible negative side effect) why ppl are not converting their mods from HDT to NiO?".

(in regards to 2 minutes: i dont understand what you mean by "it takes more" - the editing in NifSkope took me less than a minute for one mesh, and so did editing in xEdit to remove the HDT dependancy from plugin - of course if there are more records that needs to be cleaned, then you can add lets say a minute for each, but thats it.)

I think we over-estimate a lot of mod users tbh. Most don't want to be messing with nifskope - not because they're not capable, just because it's a bit of a knowledge barrier that takes some investment of time to set up properly and understand - like all the best tools we here take for granted (Wry Bash, TES5Edit).

What I love most about NiO heels is that I can strip out HDT Heels, add in the base string then adjust that one number on the fly until I get those heels absolutely spot on.

Most folks don't know how easy it is. 

edit: I keep urging people and will again here - just read anything cel/ousnius has ever had to say and you'll profit. 

I think we over-estimate a lot of mod users tbh. Most don't want to be messing with nifskope - not because they're not capable, just because it's a bit of a knowledge barrier that takes some investment of time to set up properly and understand - like all the best tools we here take for granted (Wry Bash, TES5Edit).

What I love most about NiO heels is that I can strip out HDT Heels, add in the base string then adjust that one number on the fly until I get those heels absolutely spot on.

Most folks don't know how easy it is. 

edit: I keep urging people and will again here - just read anything cel/ousnius has ever had to say and you'll profit. 

You misunderstood me - i am not talking mod users, but mod creators.

Of course i dont expect casual mod users to do this - thats why i am asking why it seems that mod creators aren't making NiO versions of their stuff.

I started suspecting that there must be some technical problem with such mods that i am not aware of - otherwise it just doesnt make sense to me.

The reason i am asking this question is because i need to deal with high heels in my mod (i need to disable the effect, and then reenable it again as situation requires), and i started wondering if i should even care about adding support to handle NiO high heels, as it seems noone is using those.

In fact, the opposite is what i would actually like to do - to drop support for HDT HH, and only handle NiO HH, because in my opinion in regards to high heels NiO feels a bit neater a LOT neater than HDT.

I already have setup scripts for HHS and i don't really feel like I want to mess up with the nifs via nifskope. It already needs to much work post-3ds-export

HHS also allows me to setup height easily even for custom heels , also to lazy to learn about nio heels

I already have setup scripts for HHS and i don't really feel like I want to mess up with the nifs via nifskope. It already needs to much work post-3ds-export

HHS also allows me to setup height easily even for custom heels , also to lazy to learn about nio heels

Ok, so... if you pardon me for saying so, the reason is just lazines (no disrespect), not because there would be some technical problem.

Well, i probably cant change your mind, but if you would reconsider one day, just know that using NiO for this is VERY easy.

The change in NifSkope is a few simple mouse clicks, and then copy&paste some values into two text fields.

If you are making addon from scratch, you dont even need to do anything in the ESP (no attaching of spells or scripts to the shoes), only if you'd be converting existing HDT shoes to NiO, you'd need to remove that HDT HH stuff from your plugin (but again, just a few clicks in tes5edit).

(when interested, check this out: http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2389-nioverride-high-heels-niovhh-fixes/)

You misunderstood me - 

No I haven't misunderstood you. Just trying to set the scene.

Okay look - how many completely original armor mods have been released in the last year? Exactly, no impetus there really (nisetanaka accepted). That mostly leaves conversions of conversions, a large proportion of which were done with Clothing Converter - very fast turnaround using a tried and tested lattice, and messing with the esp is probably very low priority.

A  small handful of converters bother to delve into the esp to retrofit NiO heels, but I've noticed more are doing it than were a month ago.

See what I mean? Do it yourself or wait for a trend to take hold and become normal practice. That's modding. 

Ok, so... if you pardon me for saying so, the reason is just lazines (no disrespect), not because there would be some technical problem.

Well, i probably cant change your mind, but if you would reconsider one day, just know that using NiO for this is VERY easy.

The change in NifSkope is a few simple mouse clicks, and then copy&paste some values into two text fields.

If you are making addon from scratch, you dont even need to do anything in the ESP (no attaching of spells or scripts to the shoes), only if you'd be converting existing HDT shoes to NiO, you'd need to remove that HDT HH stuff from your plugin (but again, just a few clicks in tes5edit).

(when interested, check this out: http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2389-nioverride-high-heels-niovhh-fixes/)

Its alright, I am really lazy when it comes to changing my modding schematics. Once I get used to sth its hard to change my mind.

I might give it a go with my next port, thankie for links.

Now i am curious , why is NiO better than HDT?

Using NiO only, you can get rid of HDT HH dll plugin, HDT HH *.esp plugin, 2 or 3 shared scripts, and 1 (or is it two?) script(s) per shoes.

Plus, if you are already using RaceMenu, you already have NiO, so the HDT HH stuff is kind of redundant (unless you want to keep using shoes that doesnt come in NiO version and you dont know how to, or dont want to, convert them yourself).

In short: it performs better, results in fewer plugins and other "clutter", and in my opinion its even easier to make NiO HH than HDT HH shoes.

Possibly for the same reason that one body type is 'better' than another - personal preference.

Personally I find it a lot easier to use, for example:

I find a pair of heels I want to use as a replacer for elven boots, HDT is attached to the actual armour (boots) of which there are 19 variations which means creating (modifying an existing) esp and adding the script to each variation, then probably loading my entire load order into TES5Edit to make sure there's no conflicts.

With NioOverride I just add a couple of lines to the 0 and 1 meshes and any variation that uses those meshes will be effected.

dropping hdthh was one of the best things i ever did for game stability.

Event OnUpdate()

Actor akActor = GetTargetActor();

; remove spells
	if((akActor.GetWornForm(0x80) as armor) == none)
		RemoveSpells(akActor)
		return
	endif

if(!isMovedUp)
		return
	endif

KeepUpdate(akActor, GetMagnitude());
	RegisterForSingleUpdate(0.1);
endEvent

for the layman, this reads "as long as you are wearing heels, im gonna keep checking that you are [almost] 10 times a second."

multiply that by every character you shove heels onto.

Possibly for the same reason that one body type is 'better' than another - personal preference.

I find a pair of heels I want to use as a replacer for elven boots, HDT is attached to the actual armour (boots) of which there are 19 variations which means creating (modifying an existing) esp and adding the script to each variation, then probably loading my entire load order into TES5Edit to make sure there's no conflicts.

With NioOverride I just add a couple of lines to the 0 and 1 meshes and any variation that uses those meshes will be effected.

But i dont get it

The comparision you first commented is an aesthetic difference (bigger /smaller breats, etc) 

Whats the difference (at naked eye) between heels made by hdt or NiO?

The editing part makes sense, since seems a lot less work to do

Using NiO only, you can get rid of HDT HH dll plugin, HDT HH *.esp plugin, 2 or 3 shared scripts, and 1 (or is it two?) script(s) per shoes.

Plus, if you are already using RaceMenu, you already have NiO, so the HDT HH stuff is kind of redundant (unless you want to keep using shoes that doesnt come in NiO version and you dont know how to, or dont want to, convert them yourself).

In short: it performs better, results in fewer plugins and other "clutter", and in my opinion its even easier to make NiO HH than HDT HH shoes.

oh , i see. There is no aesthetic difference, but there is a performance hit

Good to know!

But i dont get it

The comparision you first commented is an aesthetic difference (bigger /smaller breats, etc) 

Whats the difference (at naked eye) between heels made by hdt or NiO?

The editing part makes sense, since seems a lot less work to do

The body types was possibly a flawed analogy, just the first one that came to mind, maybe a better one would have been racemenu or ece.  Both effectively do the same job very well, it's just personal preference as to which you use.

• 4 weeks later...

A fellow on the NiOverride High Heels NIOVHH fixes page, name of sbq92, figured out that you can add the NIO data using Outfit Studio.

"It seems worth mentioning that Outfit Studio provides a simple means of adding the extra data to objects (I'm not sure when this change occurred, but I just discovered it). Just follow these steps:

1. Right-click an object's name and choose "Properties"
2. Click the tab called "Extra Data"
3. Click the "Add" button
4. Select NiStringExtraData from the drop-down menu (for me that's the only one available anyway)
5. Under "Name" type: SDTA
6. Under "Value" type: [{"name":"NPC", "pos":[0, 0, n.0]}] ('n' is the height of the heel)
7. Save your project or export your nif and you should be good to go!

If a heel has multiple parts, you only need to add this to one of them for it to work."

I haven't tried it out in game yet, but the NIF i modified had the extra data when I looked at it in Nifscope.

EDIT: So there is an issue,  the boots I tried it on increase height, but are invisible.

Its mainly tons of work if you want to convert a mod that have more than 25 High Heels to NiO.

At least it was for me when i started converting them to NiO.. right now all of the high heel mods i use are using NiO.

Archived