AutoLink Folder Icons - Now with DIY tutorial! (Updated 04/07/2016)

Hello there, dear lovers.  :heart:

Well, let's get this out of the way first: I'm a bit of an organization freak.  :blush: So maybe this won't be important to any of you guys.

Whew. Moving on...

So, AutoLink. It's crazy good. But the thing is... to use it you need to create folders. A lot of them, if you want to individually mod each costume of each character. So it gets a bit confusing since there's no easy way for you to memorize each costume's number. Or maybe I'm little dumb. Well, either way...

... here's what I did: I made a "little" icon pack.

DOWNLOAD (MEGA)

https://mega.nz/#!iY53RKrS!CVPzAR6-DbzyuZiqPyQZ2BAnFc_gjn8WF5QdIgYZbpc

The file is a copy of my AutoLink folder (without the mods, of course), with correctly named subfolders for each character and, inside of those, more correctly named subfolders, one for each official costume (the correct number of folders for each character).

Also, inside of each character folder, there's another subfolder which contains an icon for each costume in every official DLC for every character in the game.
(except for the season pass exclusives. I couldn't get my hands on them :()

If you use the file as is, you won't even have to create any folders. It's already organized. You'll just need to insert the mods you want in the respective costume folder.

It's not without work, though. Unfortunately, I don't know of any automatic way of selecting different icons for each folder. So if you're a freak like me, you'll want need to do it manually anyway. I recommend doing it as you insert each mod, just make it a bit less time consuming.

Anyways. I use the first costume of each character as the icon for said character's folder...

post-1097811-0-55441600-1459742005_thumb.jpg

... and each costume as its own icon.

post-1097811-0-61145800-1459742031_thumb.jpg

It takes a "bit" of effort, but it sure looks nice and organized!  :D  (For my tastes, anyway)
And also it doubles as a nice costume reference. It sure is easier and faster than running the game just to know some costume's number.  ;)

It's dumb and as engrossing as an excel spreadsheet... but I hope you guys like it.  :heart:

Oh, and if you just want the folder to be nice and organized but don't want to go through the trouble of creating every subfolder... here. Let me help you:

AutoLink - Folder Structure.zip

This is a copy of my (empty, of course) autolink folder, with all of the subfolders but none of the icons.  :D

==========================================

Now, let's say you're using these icons and you create a new subfolder to add costume alternatives to one of your DLC mods. This new folder doesn't have an icon and you feel sad because now it looks incomplete.

Well, not anymore! Here's a quick tutorial on how I've made these icons, just so you can make new ones yourself.

Free software: XnConvert
Step 1 - Screenshots:  For this, I loaded the game through Steam just to get the easy screenshot functionality. But you can use whatever works for you. Then you load the character selection screen and press F1 to activate slow-mo. That's gonna make it easier to get shots of any costume in almost the same exact pose. You select your costume and, as soon as the character finishes fading in, you take the screenshot. Then you repeat this for every costume you need. It's simple and quick. 

Step 2: XnConvert:  Now you'll need to run XnConvert. It's pretty easy to understand.

1. On the "Input" tab, click the "Add files" button and select the screenshots you want to create icons with;

2. On the "Actions" tab, click on the "Add Action" button and add the following actions in this order using these settings (All of them are inside the "Image" section that shows up when you click on the "Add action" button:

I. Crop:

post-1097811-0-11117800-1460079094_thumb.png

The first step is turning the image into a square. Since I used a 1280x720 image, we'll crop 560 pixels from the right edge.

This way we'll end up with a 1280 - 560 = 720 x 720 square. Depending on the size of your original image, you'll need to crop a different amount of pixels, always from the right. But the formula is simple. If your resolution is X horizontal pixels and Y vertical pixels, the amount you'll need to crop is always X - Y.

1280 - 720 = 560

1920 - 1080 = 840

etc.

II. Resize:

post-1097811-0-46080400-1460079096_thumb.png

Now we need to make it the size of an icon. Which means 256x256 pixels. Easy peasy.

III. Add Mask:

post-1097811-0-34908200-1460079098_thumb.png

The last action is adding the border. To get to the border I used, just click on the black right-ponting triangle and choose the fifth one on the list. Its name is "Camera05.gif". Then select white as the color, choose "Stretch mask" and that's it for actions.

3. Now for the output tab. The important parts here are choosing where you want your icons to be created and, obviously, selecting ICO as the format. Don't bother with the filename option, since it's gonna be hard to make the numbering scheme start from where my icons stopped. It's gonna be easier to just rename each one individually.

4. Click the "Convert" button.

5. Smile. :D 

Huh, I had heard something mentioned that AutoLink had a fileswapping function, but it wasn't really clear what to do with it.

So using this it'd just be a matter of putting files in the correct folders and they'd be loaded automatically, with no need to do what you do with lnk_reshuffle or the archive tool? Pretty slick, and good work!

I think if you use Autolink for all your costume swapping, the CPU will never pick Details other than 1, so you'll only get unedited costumes for opponents or random selections. I think the game won't let you pick other Details in the movie viewer, either.

yeah right, that's why you still need to mod the costume (with the version you love the most), and then use autolink for other versions, brilliant tool anyway  ;)

I think if you use Autolink for all your costume swapping, the CPU will never pick Details other than 1, so you'll only get unedited costumes for opponents or random selections. I think the game won't let you pick other Details in the movie viewer, either.

Bummer. Well, sticking with lnk_reshuffle it is, for now.

There was a little error with a few character folders. There were more costume subfolder then there should.

I've fixed it and updated the link in the main post to the new, correct file!

Sorry!  :blush:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Is this still true, with the latest version of Autolink, or did they fix it? What would y'all say is the best most flexible/powerful method of installing "non-DLC method" mods, so that we don't lose any core functionality of the game? From what I've read & been told, Autolink seems to be the most popular way, but I don't know about Reshuffle or Archive yet, or even DLC tool. For now I'm trying out Autolink though.

Anyway big thanks for doing this for us TT, WHAT a time saver, I'm grabbing it!

Cheerz!

• 2 weeks later...

Is this still true, with the latest version of Autolink, or did they fix it? What would y'all say is the best most flexible/powerful method of installing "non-DLC method" mods, so that we don't lose any core functionality of the game? From what I've read & been told, Autolink seems to be the most popular way, but I don't know about Reshuffle or Archive yet, or even DLC tool. For now I'm trying out Autolink though.

Anyway big thanks for doing this for us TT, WHAT a time saver, I'm grabbing it!

Cheerz!

Yeah the latest Autolink has fixed that old issue I'm assuming that was a problem back when Auolink was kinda new. I used to be a Reshuffle user and I must say I can really see why Autolink is so popular now. Its definitely the fastest way to install non DLC mods hands down and "Very" organized, the best 2 features I like about it the most are the camera unlock and customizable default Character Selection screen by pressing Ctrl 0. To be able to mod this game without losing costumes is what we all really wanted Autolink does that perfectly

@MasterJ360: Thanks for clearing that up, and well said, yea its so much easier to use than I thought it'd be, and even quicker than the DLC method for me (no INI editing!). I've got loads of mod costumes now, theres some amazing ones but its starting to get hard to keep track of it all lol.

Camera unlock is great too for DOA photographers! I only wish you could use it during the victory/defeat scenes too, or be able to "pan" sideways. Next version feature wishlist!

Creating numbered folders for Autolink by hand is a pain, so I made this simple .bat script to do it automatically.

FOR /L %%A in (1,1,9) DO (
  MKDIR 0%%A
)

FOR /L %%A IN (10,1,51) DO (
  MKDIR %%A
)

Save that in Notepad, rename the file to .bat, run it somewhere you don't need Administrator privileges to make folders, and move the created folders wherever you need them.

If you want to save a lot of time setting up the folder icons, you can first set up one with the most slots available.  Then edit the desktop.ini from "[Wherever your autolink folder is]\[Character Name]\icons\??.ico" to simply "..\icons\??.ico" (or ".\icons\01.ico", for the character folder).  Once the references are using relative paths, you can copy and paste the deskop.ini from the character's folder and ALL the costume slot folders into other characters' folders and the images will automatically appear.

• 2 months later...

I got the Samus Zero Suit by huchi001. It came with these files

SAMUS_HAIR.TMC

SAMUS_HAIR.TMCL

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.---C

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.--P

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.TMC

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.TMCL

when I load the game, it uses Samus hair as the first detail but doesn't do anything and just displays helena in costume 1 and zero suit is the 2nd detail which displays the zero suit with helenas original head.

I think the hair file naming is for lnk_reshuffle.. I tried to dload the latest version 5.8 from immi but windows defender flags it as malware.

Can Autolink use the hair files? It is supposed to look like this in the video.

https://youtu.be/5V1hwOlBjOg?list=PL7cEmeXXKcu4_wb2zukNe5oq9Bb50sfE8&t=3

Thanks. I attached the file if anyone can try it.

Yes, autolink can use hair files, just rename it, example for zero suit:

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.HAIR.TMC

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.HAIR.TMCL

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.---C

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.--P

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.TMC

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.TMCL

Yes, autolink can use hair files, just rename it, example for zero suit:

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.HAIR.TMC

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.HAIR.TMCL

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.---C

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.--P

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.TMC

ZERO_SUIT_HELENA.TMCL

Thx man! I actually figured it out and thought I deleted the post lol.

I saw a picture with Christie using Helena's hair (http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/pc-community-mod-resources.5565/page-240  Post #4785)

Any clue on how to do that? Ty again.

Thx man! I actually figured it out and thought I deleted the post lol.

I saw a picture with Christie using Helena's hair (http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/pc-community-mod-resources.5565/page-240 Post #4785)

Any clue on how to do that? Ty again.

You're welcome...

About using different character hair (in your case Helena's hair for Christie):

1. If you have the hair file, just rename as sample zero suit method. If you don't have the hair file, you can extract the hair file using Archive Tool or Lnk Reshuffle.

2. If the hair did not match with head/face, you have to edit the hair position/size using Blender