Why Sims 4 modding so weak

Jace5

You guys really have to keep in mind that it takes time to mod the game. Clothes, objects, hairs and shit don't require that much time or energy, thus you get them quickly. Of course, in the beginning a lot of cc is replacement cc, like in TS3. Sex mods and animations take more time. It took 4 years before TS3 saw a single sex mod. Plenty of poses but an animation? XTC's Sexual Daydreams in 2013. I think it was a year later that you got Animated Woohoo. TS4 is only a completely different engine. Animators and coders have to crack it open in order to tinker around with it and not break it.

TS4 is only 2 years old so you've got at the most another 2 years to wait for something.

You guys really have to keep in mind that it takes time to mod the game. Clothes, objects, hairs and shit don't require that much time or energy, thus you get them quickly. Of course, in the beginning a lot of cc is replacement cc, like in TS3. Sex mods and animations take more time. It took 4 years before TS3 saw a single sex mod. Plenty of poses but an animation? XTC's Sexual Daydreams in 2013. I think it was a year later that you got Animated Woohoo. TS4 is only a completely different engine. Animators and coders have to crack it open in order to tinker around with it and not break it.

TS4 is only 2 years old so you've got at the most another 2 years to wait for something.

Wow wasn't aware it took that long before sims 3 had sex animations.Never played 3 didn't have a system then but thanks for the perspective

Because Sims 4 sucks donkey balls and no one likes it because they got rid of almost everything iconic to The Sims franchise that was added over the years in exchange of EMO drama queen teenage girl Sims.

Is 3 that much better? I've played 2 but never 3. If the sims didn't look so bad I'd really hop into 3 tbh. As it is, I think I'd need a ton of mods just to make them not look so damn weird lol

Damn why things so dry for sims 4 lol. Don't wanna have to play sims 3 the art style in that game is straight up garbage. Is the ability to mod that difficult for sims 4?

It's going to take a while and you have to remember most of the dynamic for Sims is young girls or younger women. Hence, you'll notice eons more CC for female sims compared to male sims and though we're some perverted folks in here the majority of sims players could care less about sex mods and that's their choice. I think it's just going to take that one person to break through like a previous poster mentioned XTC with Sims 3 and then things might blow up after that. Just from peeking around alittle I don't even think Cmar has made a morphable penis yet so there's a long way to go.

i far prefer sims 4. it looks better. it plays better. oh, it doesn't lag like hell. or take 10 minutes to save or 15 to load up. lol 

i can be invested in a family i create because i know three or four "weeks" into the game it won't be a sluggish, choppy disaster. even with overwatch...i couldn't imagine even attempting to play it without that mod. it would be the path to madness.

If you have those problems with TS3 it's likely your fault lol. Wait until you bog down your game with tons of CC. I can run TS3 perfectly fine with reasonable amount of store content and a shit ton of CC (3gb to be modest) on 10-15 year old computer still running XP. So you'll have to forgive me if I get a little touchy when people bitch about lag and shit on TS3.

And TS4 looks better? Lol, right. It looks like a cartoon colored version of TS2. No thanks.

If you have those problems with TS3 it's likely your fault lol. Wait until you bog down your game with tons of CC. I can run TS3 perfectly fine with reasonable amount of store content and a shit ton of CC (3gb to be modest) on 10-15 year old computer still running XP. So you'll have to forgive me if I get a little touchy when people bitch about lag and shit on TS3.

And TS4 looks better? Lol, right. It looks like a cartoon colored version of TS2. No thanks.

Damn i just peeped ur photo album all those animations in 3? Shit I may have to get it lol

Edit: and the vids alright its confirmed finding a torrent haha

Damn i just peeped ur photo album all those animations in 3? Shit I may have to get it lol

lol thanks -- yeah all of that's with TS3. The thing about the CC with TS3 is merging the packages. I'm up to my eyeballs in editing at the moment but you can find how to merge files on here or at MTS.

lol thanks -- yeah all of that's with TS3. The thing about the CC with TS3 is merging the packages. I'm up to my eyeballs in editing at the moment but you can find how to merge files on here or at MTS.

Yeah that's the worst part learning how the editing and mods work. Those anims made me interested tho. Btw can bodies be edited in sims 3 or will need a mod for that?

Depends on what you want. Some folks have body mods like JoshQ -- don't ask me where he got it or if he did, I don't really get into that -- I know Cmar did some work on sliders and stuff and that brings me to the point. Some of the modders, like Cmar, created sliders that can completely customize your sim. It's not as ... optimized as TS4... but if you play around with it you can come up with something to your liking. I think most people that like TS4 are lazy. There, I said it. Lol damn kids want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

But seriously, everything takes some time and effort. Some of my friends here can make some truly unique and beautiful Sims but they all use some kind of custom content be it skintones, nipples and bits, butts, waists, thighs, etc. etc. Don't look at me, I get some of mine off the web. {{shrug}}

personal taste and all that. ts3 looks like a game my phone can run.

as far as the lag thing goes...no clue. i've searched for help on it over the years when i get the itch to play it. nothings helped much since island paradise was included. which is when it get real bad lol. cc that i have is very minimal. especially compared to what you are running. aside from cosmetic stuff like hairs and a set of skins...overwatch, decensor, story progression and kinkyworld with their respective requirements.

that's it. i'm running windows 10. on a year old machine. maybe it's just not optimized for these relic games. i had a lot of trouble with the resolution when i reinstalled it from origin as i recall too. lol

Your phone can run an open world? lololol Where'd you get your phone--the future? xD

As far as EA worlds -- get the fixes it's mostly routing issues or get smaller custom worlds. KW will bog down the game--the public releases insert a crap ton of  NPCs, that's one of the main complaints for KW.

I've heard a lot of complaints about TS3 and Windows 10 but like I said, I don't have that problem. The computer I use for filming is Vista and I'm running the same amount of cc, mods, and 7 EPs. No lag, no crashing. Settings are on High btw.

In regards to TS4 -- that should've been a phone game. No open world. Less than 1/5th of a basegame and you have to buy everything. This argument is a perpetual circlejerk.

personal taste and all that. ts3 looks like a game my phone can run.

as far as the lag thing goes...no clue. i've searched for help on it over the years when i get the itch to play it. nothings helped much since island paradise was included. which is when it get real bad lol. cc that i have is very minimal. especially compared to what you are running. aside from cosmetic stuff like hairs and a set of skins...overwatch, decensor, story progression and kinkyworld with their respective requirements.

that's it. i'm running windows 10. on a year old machine. maybe it's just not optimized for these relic games. i had a lot of trouble with the resolution when i reinstalled it from origin as i recall too. lol

Your phone can run an open world? lololol Where'd you get your phone--the future? xD

As far as EA worlds -- get the fixes it's mostly routing issues or get smaller custom worlds. KW will bog down the game--the public releases insert a crap ton of  NPCs, that's one of the main complaints for KW.

I've heard a lot of complaints about TS3 and Windows 10 but like I said, I don't have that problem. The computer I use for filming is Vista and I'm running the same amount of cc, mods, and 7 EPs. No lag, no crashing. Settings are on High btw.

In regards to TS4 -- that should've been a phone game. No open world. Less than 1/5th of a basegame and you have to buy everything. This argument is a perpetual circlejerk.

TS3 runs perfectly fine on windows 10, if people are having problems it's probably hardware related and not sims related. The only issue I had was SweetFX in the beginning but once I installed the directx9c package that worked too but if you don't run SweetFX you should be good out of the box. Could TS3 been better made, yes, but there's alot of tips and things you can do for a smooth experience but it will take some footwork. I played around with TS4 but I uninstalled it rather quick, they left too much out for me and I can't play Sims without sex mods. That's just me, if I want to play games without them that's what Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Batman series, Battlefield 4, etc are for in my world. I know people who want their Sims pure.... :-/ , about a year ago people wanted to run Geck.O off this forum when he brought up rape for Sims. Now look at where we are with KW. It was kind of a pointless argument when you go thru the skyrim section of this forum and see the level of deviant there, anyway. Do I have a stupidly high end machine, yup but Sims doesn't really utilize it and I'm able to run sims with 60 gigs of CC, all expansions, HQ mod and SWeetFX with no lag.

From startup to gameplay...6.5 minutes with 60 gigs of CC, not load my save from desktop to gameplay.

patience. The game is still being actively made. That is the problem. No large mods are worth it right now because by the time you finish making a huge mod for one version the game has broken all you made. Right now were going to see TS3 big mods come out since its done. TS4 maybe we'll get some more for it but besides clothing and interactive objects it's not worth modding beyond that yet. 

TS4 isn't popular as TS3, the removal of key features/content caused major backlash and Maxis hasn't recovered and never will. They pulled a SimCity 2013 on The Sims. Plus the only thing coming out for TS4 is stuff packs, you can get higher quality content for free. Plus there's no room in TS4 for all these Stuff Packs. Aw snap another feature they removed; town edit. No editing the 2D Facebook game screened neighborhood for the MMO oriented engine that was building The Sims Online 2.0 before being scrapped and quickly re-pieced into a singleplayer game in under a year after The Sims Social and SimCity 2013 epically failed.. :)

You won't see major support for TS4 since it can't handle jack shit. Even the developers complain about being too limited. XD

The Sims 1 even had more support. :P

Just wait for a competitor to come along one day since Maxis isn't doing anything right anymore and will soon go under, let alone mobile only. Then there will be no more modding.

2yzdF15.png

https://twitter.com/SimGuruSarah/status/615994475844800512?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://twitter.com/SimGuruSarah/status/615994367996657664?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

For me one of the biggest deterrents to make stuff for S4 is the lack of CAS (create a style), that means that instead of making "one texture" and let the user choose the patters/color they want now I have to include every variation possible, and even if I create a dozen styles it still limits what you can do in a supposedly  "life simulator". It's the "recolor nightmare" from Sims 2 all over again.

Doesn't mean quality CC isn't possible, there's a lot of great stuff out there along with many talented people so eventually more sexy CC/animations will arrive. But for all the problems S3 had/still has, CAS is one hell of a feature and is mind-blowing EA decided to scrap it instead of optimize it, just shows what their priorities are...

Depends on what you want. Some folks have body mods like JoshQ -- don't ask me where he got it or if he did, I don't really get into that --

[...]

It's from The Sims Medieval, I extracted the body directly from the game DVD using S3PE on the SASFullBuild2.package file. For my surprise I was able to import meshes and morphs using Milkshape / Cmar's Meshtools without much problems, adapting them to S3 and modifying some body parts was a different adventure...

Guest Comrade DR. MAHUJ DIK

Im the only one who thinks The sims 4 is a great game?

It has a better engine and several new features, but the main problems are:

No open world (I think can be fixed with modding, edit the max size of a neighbourhood, copy and glue all the city on a giant neighborhood, itll make saving and loading longer, but will be open adn remove the annoying loading screens when you go anywere)

Lack of expansions (just wait and enjoy that you still hast spend as much as in sims 3)

No create a style (this sucks and I dont know if can be fixed with moding, they really fucked up here)

Lack of mods (wait, most decent mods for sims games come after at least 3 years, the game only has 2)

No open world (I think can be fixed with modding, edit the max size of a neighbourhood, copy and glue all the city on a giant neighborhood, itll make saving and loading longer, but will be open adn remove the annoying loading screens when you go anywere)

Lack of expansions (just wait and enjoy that you still hast spend as much as in sims 3)

No create a style (this sucks and I dont know if can be fixed with moding, they really fucked up here)

Lack of mods (wait, most decent mods for sims games come after at least 3 years, the game only has 2)

Unfortunately, no. You're not the only person. : (

1. You misspelled limited before engine. :P

2. I don't think it's possible let alone feasible to mod an open world into a backdrop. That's what I mean when I say "open world" as in you can actually go to different places on the map and the background isn't a painted screen but a place your Sim can actually go. Like... the playable areas aren't lots but actual open spaces.

2b. You can't remove loading screens from a game and you can't stitch multiple lots together. That's a development thing not a modding thing. It's possible (Skyrim) but who in their right minds would want to with TS4?

3. I'm pretty sure EAxis is scrambling trying to come up with EPs because I don't think TS4 was ever intended to be a single player game in the first place. If you look at the dlc for the game it reads more geared toward MMO than single player.

4. Yeah, no. I don't think you can add Create a Style to this engine.

5. Funny how people forget this.

My thoughts on your requests: give up TS4 and wait for TS5 or go back to TS3. It sounds like you want a complete rebuild of the game and EAxis is likely not going to do that. But who knows maybe they'll offer some of those as dlc for like $45.

Every time a thread about mods for TS4 comes up and we have this circle jerk I always end up asking myself if any of you guys have actually played any of the games besides TS4. There was one guy bashing TS3 and he never actually played it. Of course, he was also bragging that he was making totally awesome mods for TS4 and never heard anything else after that. = /

In the end, patience is a total virtue.

There were some things I liked about Sims 4, it does seem to utilize higher end PC's better. No open world thru me for a loop. And I'm too used to playing Sims 3 uber modded to go back to a somewhat vanilla Sims 4, not vanilla per se as the clothing, eyes and hair creators are doing their thing but we know what I mean by modded(hint hint we're on LL).... ;)

Maxis was shut down last year, I have no clue which part of EA is working on Sims now.

Unfortunately I don't have access to NPD Market Data.

VGChartz (no idea how reliable they are) say that the Sims 3 sold a total of 7,5 to 8,5 million copies world-wide.

Sims 4 only peaked after it was reduced by 50% for Christmas and sold somewhere between 1,5 and 2,5 million copies, with only around 130.000 customers picking up the first expansion. 

Add to this the various "If Sims 4 isn't a total success, there won't be a sims 5" interviews from before the Sims 4 launch and one can get rather pessimistic about the outlook for the genre. Maybe we should start a Loverslab sims rip-off with Onikikay as the lead developer (but then, Sims clones like Eidos' "The Singles" or that horrible "Playboy Mansion" were rather spectacularly unsuccessful.)

Sources:
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=sims+4&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=sims+3&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/835285/how-does-the-sims-4-sales-stack-up-with-earlier-versions

Guest Comrade DR. MAHUJ DIK

Unfortunately, no. You're not the only person. : (

1. You misspelled limited before engine. :P

2. I don't think it's possible let alone feasible to mod an open world into a backdrop. That's what I mean when I say "open world" as in you can actually go to different places on the map and the background isn't a painted screen but a place your Sim can actually go. Like... the playable areas aren't lots but actual open spaces.

2b. You can't remove loading screens from a game and you can't stitch multiple lots together. That's a development thing not a modding thing. It's possible (Skyrim) but who in their right minds would want to with TS4?

3. I'm pretty sure EAxis is scrambling trying to come up with EPs because I don't think TS4 was ever intended to be a single player game in the first place. If you look at the dlc for the game it reads more geared toward MMO than single player.

4. Yeah, no. I don't think you can add Create a Style to this engine.

5. Funny how people forget this.

My thoughts on your requests: give up TS4 and wait for TS5 or go back to TS3. It sounds like you want a complete rebuild of the game and EAxis is likely not going to do that. But who knows maybe they'll offer some of those as dlc for like $45.

Every time a thread about mods for TS4 comes up and we have this circle jerk I always end up asking myself if any of you guys have actually played any of the games besides TS4. There was one guy bashing TS3 and he never actually played it. Of course, he was also bragging that he was making totally awesome mods for TS4 and never heard anything else after that. = /

In the end, patience is a total virtue.

I was listing the problems, not sayingI only play that way. I still think its a great game with a great potential for mods.

We actually had people animating TS4 before the game was even released, using just the preview cas assets. Then came the flaming cluster joyous celebration of what the imbecile lordlings gifted EA Execs made of the actual release game. Much drama later, and there's next to no motivation among those technically capable to actually dig into the TS4 code and make animation or even interaction work.

A few months ago, I asked around what the specific technical issues were, but got no response from anyone. To actually get animation/interaction usable:

-Crack cracking team to ninja the code handling animation.

or

-EA serfs employees leaking enough tech details to get it done.

-I think TS4 was using python at least for the intentionally modable bits, so a python guru is needed for low level code. Python guru no where near as easy to find as C based language/java.

-Once low level code is functional, gui-code-monkey has to then make actual gui dev tools that are usable by animators (animators generally don't know coding, and vise versa).

-Once dev tools are done, Animators can begin animating.

-Once animations are to be had, python coders can begin spaghetti diving through EA code and linking animation with interaction.

Obviously, this is not something that gets done by one person. Biggest problem I see is that I believe the TS4 modding community has been pretty much obliterated by the drama surrounding the game and it's development. Collaboration is required, but only appathy is left.

Archived