2 hours ago, emily1673 said:

Do you have other ideas for an effect that should be caused by wearing earrings? Would be happy to implement them (if not too difficult).

I'm not who you asked, but I think about this topic a lot.  My take on the fashion addiction system was always that it should be a treadmill rather than a flood. 

Spoiler

The whole system isn't very interesting when the gameplay is "equip every fashion feature right away."  That's the flood.  It's a big wave of stat boosts and shopping in the first 15 minutes of gameplay and then nothing.  You have a bunch of features on that don't really do anything.  Your PC looks good to the player but maybe not exactly as the player would prefer due to having to follow the restraints of what YPS supports.  

I prefer a system that's more a treadmill.  At first the PC can grab some easy fashion features for a boost.  Cheap, durable, unobtrusive things like hairstyling.  Addiction progresses and then PC needs to add new fashion features to see any benefit.  Having already used up the best most durable options, she has to use higher cost/less duration options (makeup/shaving/bathing). 

To optimize I typically try to only use these types of things when I actually will be using the speech buff, so in towns or similar.  The nice thing about the current mechanics is that this style of temporary use slowly turns from a buff with the items on, to a debuff with them off.  Which pushes the PC towards  using more and more fashion features. 

This style of addiction entrapment is (to me at least) the ENTIRE point of using this mod.  

So that being said I think you should look beyond just 'what buff should ear rings' give to make them interesting but instead look at where they fall on the treadmill.  Are they meant to be something that the PC can easily access for low cost, or are they meant to be something highly intrusive/expensive?

Spoiler

The gameplay characteristics of earrings that I see are

-Low durability and/or upkeep:  The very cool (but somewhat unstable) 'earring falls out' mechanic means that any given time the player might need to replace them.  The fact that they last for a random(I think?) amount of time, gives some interesting differentiation from other time duration fashion features like hairstyling, bathing or makeup (although each of those have their own quirks with combat smudging/water smudging)

-Upfront cost:  You have to invest in getting pierced.  

-Penalty for non-use: long term non-use and yo lose the holes (I think? It's been a while since I tested this)

That's already a lot of levers that you can pull to make earrings interesting without adding something boring like a "of the knight" armor enchantment or something.  Some of the mechanics are pretty unique and interesting too. 

I think the best thing to do is focus on the addiction system as a whole.  As it is now it certainly "tells a good story" but it's also pretty dry, with just the simple sliding scale on speech.  Speech may very well be the least noticeable skill in the game, you need to look pretty hard to see it actually do anything at all outside of the very rare intimidate/persuade dialogue checks.   I do like however the overall theme of speech representing the PC's confidence in herself, more than just beauty.  The idea of the PC being lifted up by fashion and then slowly transitioning to being uncomfortable without being glammed up is really appealing to me.

Spoiler

I think it would be interesting to expand away from speech.  There are plenty of easily accessible buffs/debuffs that could apply to being confident/not.  Magic would certainly work but you could even go as far as max HP to represent a depressed PC 'giving up easier' at really high addiction. 

It may also be worthwhile to make the fashion level more viewable outside of the addiction level.  Having an independent 'fashion level' and 'expectation level' makes room for some other types of buffs/debuffs.  You could even have there be some tradeoff to having very high beauty as an incentive for players to not flood every fashion feature at once.  Maybe something like having extremely high beauty reduce pickpocket and sneaking skills due to being the center of attention.  It doesn't have to go any particular way but two tracks gives you a lot more to play with.

If you really want a specific earring power, maybe you could do something with lockpicking?  The idea of sacrificing your earrings to use them as lockpicks gives the player some interesting choices to make.

I think it's important to keep in mind, if the mod is about putting on fashion features, there needs to be reasons to take off the features as well.  Hair does this really well right now with it's growth mechanic, but many of the other features are only really relevant in the first 20 minutes of the game.

6 hours ago, emily1673 said:

You can define custom colors for makeup in MCM.

Earrings do already add to fashion addiction.

That was FAST :D

6 hours ago, emily1673 said:

Do you have other ideas for an effect that should be caused by wearing earrings? Would be happy to implement them (if not too difficult).

First thing, I guess, would be to make sure earrings from other mods are recognized for these purposes (maybe it exists already)?

Other than that, I can't think of anything right now... but if I do, I'll definitely post it here.

13 hours ago, Darkwing241 said:

I'm not who you asked, but I think about this topic a lot.  My take on the fashion addiction system was always that it should be a treadmill rather than a flood.

Of course, you are welcome to comment! Thanks for the feedback! :)

Ironically, it was also my intention that the addiction system is more of a treadmill. But what could I do to inhibit the player from using all fashion features immediately? Make them more expensive?

Or maybe the (de)buffs from the addiction aren't strong enough? If the fashion features would be really expensive, and the (de)buffs would be really strong (something like health and mana regeneration rate), then you would have a treadmill.

13 hours ago, Anunya said:

Other than that, I can't think of anything right now... but if I do, I'll definitely post it here.

Thanks. :)

A while I ago I have hinted at the possibility to create a "player thought" framework mod, that would cause certain "thoughts" (i.e. notifications) to appear depending on certain conditions.

Now I had some more time to think about it, and here is an outline of how to implement such a feature.

(The following is for modders only. And please ignore the syntax errors, it is just a proof of concept 😅 )

Spoiler

The player thought framework I have in mind would look like this:

A set of .json files:
One file "thought_keywords.json" that looks like this:

"keyword1": "<keyword decimal value>|some_mod.esp",
"keyword2": "<keyword decimal value>|some_other_mod.esp",

One file "thought_keywordslist.json" that looks like this:

"keywordlist": ("keyword1", "keyword2" ...)

One file "thought_papyrusvalues.json" that looks like this:

"papyrusvalue1": <name of some papyrus value>,
"papyrusvalue2": <name of another papyrus value>

One file "thought_papyrusvaluelist.json" that looks like this:

"papyrusvaluelist": ("papyrusvalue1", "papyrusvalue2" ...)

And, at the core of the mod, one file "thoughts.json" that looks like this:

"keyword1__<condition1>": ( "playerthought 1", "playerthought 2", "playerthought 3" ...),
"keyword1__<condition2>": ( "playerthought 1", "playerthought 2", "playerthought 3" ...),
"keyword2__<condition1>": ( "playerthought 1", "playerthought 2", "playerthought 3" ...),
"papyrusvalue1__<condition1>": ( "playerthought 1", "playerthought 2", "playerthought 3" ...),

<conditions> would be a fixed set of options, e.g. the following:
"battle": thoughts will only displayed when player is in battle
"city":  thoughts will only displayed when player is in a city (+ similar conditions for all location types, i.e. LocTypeXYZ keywords)
"all": thought will displayed in any case (no condition needed)

Some sample thoughts:

"nailpolishworn__battle": ( "I should be careful that my nailpolish doesn't get scratches.", ...)
"lipstickworn__inn": ( "I wonder what the patrons here might think about my new lipstick color.", ...)
"miniskirtworn__all": ( "I love the feeling of wearing short skirts.", ...)

The main framework script would do the following:
1. go through thought_keywordslist.json and check which keywords from thought_keywords.json are set, by calling the function wornhaskeyword()
2. go through thought_papyrusvaluelist.json and check which papyrus values from thought_papyrusvalues.json are set (to something ≠ 0)
3. create a "thought list" of valid player thoughts from "thoughts.json" (all thoughts where the corresponding keyword/papryusvalue is set, and the condition matches)
4. play a random thought from the "thought list" as notification

Frequency of random thoughts configurable in MCM

This way, the whole thing would be done in a way that makes it quite easy for users to modify the system (in particular by adding more "thought" choices). Since my modding time is limited, it is good to give the community an opportunity to add their own "thoughts" :)

So, a question to all the fellow modders: Would you like to use such a framework? If so, please let me know, and I will try to implement it in a way that can easily be integrated into any other mod. Otherwise, I will just add it as a feature to YPS.

7 minutes ago, emily1673 said:

So, a question to all the fellow modders: Would you like to use such a framework? If so, please let me know, and I will try to implement it in a way that can easily be integrated into any other mod. Otherwise, I will just add it as a feature to YPS.

Not a modder, but sounds ideal to work with BoS :D

3 hours ago, emily1673 said:

A while I ago I have hinted at the possibility to create a "player thought" framework mod, that would cause certain "thoughts" (i.e. notifications) to appear depending on certain conditions.

Now I had some more time to think about it, and here is an outline of how to implement such a feature.

(The following is for modders only. And please ignore the syntax errors, it is just a proof of concept 😅 )

Hide contents

The player thought framework I have in mind would look like this:

A set of .json files:
One file "thought_keywords.json" that looks like this:

"keyword1": "<keyword decimal value>|some_mod.esp",
"keyword2": "<keyword decimal value>|some_other_mod.esp",

One file "thought_keywordslist.json" that looks like this:

"keywordlist": ("keyword1", "keyword2" ...)

One file "thought_papyrusvalues.json" that looks like this:

"papyrusvalue1": <name of some papyrus value>,
"papyrusvalue2": <name of another papyrus value>

One file "thought_papyrusvaluelist.json" that looks like this:

"papyrusvaluelist": ("papyrusvalue1", "papyrusvalue2" ...)

And, at the core of the mod, one file "thoughts.json" that looks like this:

"keyword1__<condition1>": ( "playerthought 1", "playerthought 2", "playerthought 3" ...),
"keyword1__<condition2>": ( "playerthought 1", "playerthought 2", "playerthought 3" ...),
"keyword2__<condition1>": ( "playerthought 1", "playerthought 2", "playerthought 3" ...),
"papyrusvalue1__<condition1>": ( "playerthought 1", "playerthought 2", "playerthought 3" ...),

<conditions> would be a fixed set of options, e.g. the following:
"battle": thoughts will only displayed when player is in battle
"city":  thoughts will only displayed when player is in a city (+ similar conditions for all location types, i.e. LocTypeXYZ keywords)
"all": thought will displayed in any case (no condition needed)

Some sample thoughts:

"nailpolishworn__battle": ( "I should be careful that my nailpolish doesn't get scratches.", ...)
"lipstickworn__inn": ( "I wonder what the patrons here might think about my new lipstick color.", ...)
"miniskirtworn__all": ( "I love the feeling of wearing short skirts.", ...)

The main framework script would do the following:
1. go through thought_keywordslist.json and check which keywords from thought_keywords.json are set, by calling the function wornhaskeyword()
2. go through thought_papyrusvaluelist.json and check which papyrus values from thought_papyrusvalues.json are set (to something ≠ 0)
3. create a "thought list" of valid player thoughts from "thoughts.json" (all thoughts where the corresponding keyword/papryusvalue is set, and the condition matches)
4. play a random thought from the "thought list" as notification

Frequency of random thoughts configurable in MCM

This way, the whole thing would be done in a way that makes it quite easy for users to modify the system (in particular by adding more "thought" choices). Since my modding time is limited, it is good to give the community an opportunity to add their own "thoughts" :)

Submissive Lola has similar "thoughts" system. might help for reference.

I really like the thoughts system as you outline it, especially if it'd allow people not writing full mods to create thoughts for conditions triggered by various mods.

Like, if I could write or edit a .json with that triggered from - say - Devious Followers willpower and all I'd have to know is the right variable name, then I think quite a lot of fun could be had with that.

Edited by Anunya
On 2/9/2024 at 11:08 AM, emily1673 said:

Or maybe the (de)buffs from the addiction aren't strong enough? If the fashion features would be really expensive, and the (de)buffs would be really strong (something like health and mana regeneration rate), then you would have a treadmill.

I don't think the flood vs treadmill problem can be 'fixed' by any one thing, there are just things that make it better or worse.  Many changes might have significant tradeoffs that make it not worthwhile.  I don't want to sell any of these ideas as "the best way to do things" but more as "ideas with some benefits." 

Universal buffs fashion buffs:

Spoiler

In regards to buff strengths, the current system is fairly linear and the decrease is as well.  If you are trying to maximize your "bonus hours" it ends up makes a lot of sense to stack everything asap, that way you get +5 the first hour +4 the seconds, +3, +2 +1 for a total of +15  bonus hours (made up numbers).  If you incrementally add fashion features you end up getting +1 the first hours, +1 the second ect.  for a total of +5 bonus hours before addiction catches up with your maximum maintainable fashion level. 

A system that instead gives diminishing returns might work better.  If you reward the PC relatively heavily for only slightly exceeding their addiction/fashion balance point and less and less for many levels above, then there is less incentive to flood.  This obviously doesn't entirely the flood incentive as with no other changes, you would still receive the maximum 'bonus hours'  by equipping everything all at once.  This change would however give more opportunity for other disincentives like gold cost and time consumption to compete.

The opposite of this is true for addiction debuffs.  The ideal there is for the PC to be desire to use fashion features no matter where they are on the spectrum and regardless of if they can reach a certain threshold.  You don't want to create a situation where "my addiction is at -5 and I can only get makeup right now so why bother"

To really fix the 'bonus hours' dilemma you may want to consider having the rate of addiction gain scale with items worn.  For example a PC wearing 2 fashion features with 0 addiction would see an addiction increase in 2 days game time (made up numbers), whereas a PC wearing 5 fashion features with 0 addiction would see their addiction level increase in 1 day of game time.  This when combined with diminishing returns on buffs makes the 'buff hour' optimizing strategy to play the treadmill game and slowly adopt an increasing number of fashion features.

Individual item addiction:

Spoiler

An alternative way to frame addiction would be to track addiction on a per feature.  For example a PC that wears nail polish would gain 'nail polish addiction' after 2 in game days.  If the PC wears nail polish and makeup, they would gain nail polish addiction AND makeup addiction after 2 in game days.   This would basically create the same experience as before where a player that floods every fashion feature would end up with a PC receiving few if any bonuses.

Now that is not individually any better of a design (in fact it might be worse due to being harder to implement), but it would give you a few more levers to pull. It might in combination with assigning different fashion feature different impacts. 

In general I would like to see addiction be a trap that the player actually wants to fall in.  The buffs short term need to be worth getting involved in (or at least good enough for a willing player to pretend they are worth it) and the long run return should be at least in some ways negative.  My preferred use for this mod usually involve my PC getting sucked into fashion addiction to the point where it's vapid impracticality begins to interfere with her being an adventurer (and then various loverslab things happen).

Other gameplay interactions with fashion addiction:

Spoiler

dresscodes:  It would be cool to have area's require specific fashion items a sort of gateway into using items.  These could be kept really simple with just a few lines from a bouncer or noble or something, and then picking a single appropriate feature for the area.  Something like getting your hair done for the tavern, or wearing heels at the jarls palace.  Alternatively you could make the town have influence about the requirements, maybe high heels are really big in solitude or makeup in riften.  You honestly could almost get away without any enforcement mechanism, just a guy/girl that insults you once if you don't have it.  The cool part about this is that you could have it increase the players addiction to represent them suddenly feeling the need to be more dressed up.

Influencers: Similar idea but as a roadside encounter.  For example you encounter a girl on the road wearing makeup, she delivers some dialogue about how great it is, and the pc gets an addiction increase.  Super simple but gives great role play opportunities.  Maybe also make them vendors for whatever fashion item they are showing off?  You can create different flavors of incluencers ranging from elegant noblewomen to vapid bimbos.  I have a personal love for the idea of a thalmor agent trying to get all the nord ladies addicted to high heels to the point where they foolishly start wearing them into battle.

8 hours ago, Anunya said:

Oh, and a question - is there a debug/ command to set your character's pubic hair and armpit hair? I'd like her to start the game with her being a little more "natural" and unshaven :) 

That's default. It starts at full length and only grows if you shave it. You just need to wait for a few minutes for it to grow to max length after enabling it.

10 hours ago, Anunya said:

Oh, and a question - is there a debug/ command to set your character's pubic hair and armpit hair? I'd like her to start the game with her being a little more "natural" and unshaven :) 

There is a modevent to set armpit/pubic hair length, look here.

But afaik, modevents can only be called from a script, not from console.

2 hours ago, Balgin said:

That's default. It starts at full length and only grows if you shave it. You just need to wait for a few minutes for it to grow to max length after enabling it.

Ah! Thanks, good to know... I'm still in the process of setting up my mod list so I didn't wait for that to happen. That's perfect then :) 

Request: Option for instant removal/equipping of piercings(since you have it for other features) if it's possible. I know it's called immersive piercing but all the waiting doesn't add anything to gameplay and the text gets boring when you've already seen it.

Also, the mod doesn't uninstall cleanly since the speech buff will linger and remain on re-install(meaning a double speech buff). I solved it by setting the buff I had to 0, but to prevent this from happening you could include a way to dispel it with the "remove all yps tattoos" button and call it "remove all yps features". I don't think it needs to remove items in the players inventory though, because they get deleted anyway, but doesn't hurt if it's not too much fuss.

Edited by RoninDog

I've had a problem for awhile now with the mod never seeming to actually apply the makeup textures, I have all the requirements like slavetats 1.3.7 and the soundtexture pack and theres room for the overlays but neither eyeshadow or lipstick textures are shown, I get the buffs and debuffs and the animation plays fine but nothing shows up on my characters face. I need to go into slavetats and manually apply them there and then they will show but always slightly miscoloured. have had this problem through multiple versions aswell, and really need help to get this to work again.

5 hours ago, nonameo said:

I've had a problem for awhile now with the mod never seeming to actually apply the makeup textures, I have all the requirements like slavetats 1.3.7 and the soundtexture pack and theres room for the overlays but neither eyeshadow or lipstick textures are shown, I get the buffs and debuffs and the animation plays fine but nothing shows up on my characters face. I need to go into slavetats and manually apply them there and then they will show but always slightly miscoloured. have had this problem through multiple versions aswell, and really need help to get this to work again.

Try going into the Slavetats MCM and hit the "import / update / load slavetats" button (I forget exactly what it's called). Maybe exit and save and load and hit it again.

Slavetats / YPS is a bit squirrely for me once in a while but that usually fixes it.

A few problems/issues. The Fashion Addiction option in the MCM is disabled but something from that option seems to be causing a problem. My PC has a negative 10 for current fashion even though she is wearing lipstick, nail polish, eye shadow, stockings and perfume. If I check the "Magic" option (press Tab/click on Magic, choose rightmost option) she is "Ugliest girl in Tamriel" and has a negative 38 debuff. Isn't this one of the debuffs for Addiction? Since I'm not using Addiction, why is it affecting my PC? I would note that the mod, "Bathing in Skyrim", also does Speech debuffs, but taking a bath clears the debuffs and gives the player a Speech buff... and my PC just had a bath.

Other problem - the stockings that Lena gave my PC used to show in her inventory but they no longer do, even though she is still wearing them. I tried doing the "Delete all Slavetats" (or whatever the actual wording is) but nothing occurs; and yes, Slavetats is working. I get the message when I first load the game about waiting for Slavetats to finish working on my PC.

Third issue, almost certainly not related to The Dibella Quest but hopefully someone knows what might be causing it. My PC, the Sunflower fashionistas and some random innkeepers have suddenly had their bodies turn bright blue. Not their heads or feet or hands, just their bodies. Very strange.

Edited by KentuckyExpat
Clarify some items
3 hours ago, KentuckyExpat said:

A few problems/issues. The Fashion Addiction option in the MCM is disabled but something from that option seems to be causing a problem. My PC has a negative 10 for current fashion even though she is wearing lipstick, nail polish, eye shadow, stockings and perfume. If I check the "Magic" option (press Tab/click on Magic, choose rightmost option) she is "Ugliest girl in Tamriel" and has a negative 38 debuff. Isn't this one of the debuffs for Addiction? Since I'm not using Addiction, why is it affecting my PC? I would note that the mod, "Bathing in Skyrim", also does Speech debuffs, but taking a bath clears the debuffs and gives the player a Speech buff... and my PC just had a bath.

Other problem - the stockings that Lena gave my PC used to show in her inventory but they no longer do, even though she is still wearing them. I tried doing the "Delete all Slavetats" (or whatever the actual wording is) but nothing occurs; and yes, Slavetats is working. I get the message when I first load the game about waiting for Slavetats to finish working on my PC.

Third issue, almost certainly not related to The Dibella Quest but hopefully someone knows what might be causing it. My PC, the Sunflower fashionistas and some random innkeepers have suddenly had their bodies turn bright blue. Not their heads or feet or hands, just their bodies. Very strange.

You can go from prettiest to ugliest from just one thing. Are your toenails painted as well? I did some testing and the only ones that caused the big drop was either nails or the lipstick or eyeshadow. Otherwise for now you could type in help ugliest and remove that spell and see it it reappears. Try buying a new set of stockings and see if that works. Maybe reinstall your textures part of the mod for the color issue.

On 2/11/2024 at 2:58 PM, emily1673 said:

There is a modevent to set armpit/pubic hair length, look here.

But afaik, modevents can only be called from a script, not from console.

How would I go about setting this up prior to a new start?

On 2/12/2024 at 9:27 PM, Anunya said:

Try going into the Slavetats MCM and hit the "import / update / load slavetats" button (I forget exactly what it's called). Maybe exit and save and load and hit it again.

Slavetats / YPS is a bit squirrely for me once in a while but that usually fixes it.

if you mean the add/remove tattoos in the setup part of the mcm, then i have already tried that plenty of times, and I know they are loaded becasue I can apply them in face tattoos fine, they just don't get applied by yps for some reason.

22 hours ago, KentuckyExpat said:

Can't do toenails because the game won't allow it if you are wearing stockings... and I can't remove the stockings because they re no longer shown in her inventory.

Will try with the reinstall for the textures.

In that case try this little gem of a trick. Remove all your items and put them in a safe place. Don't worry about quest items they will stay in place. Open console and type player.removeallitems and hit enter. I use it when one of my mods puts an item with missing name in my enchant list and I want it gone. The toenails are definitely the problem.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:03 PM, RoninDog said:

Request: Option for instant removal/equipping of piercings(since you have it for other features) if it's possible. I know it's called immersive piercing but all the waiting doesn't add anything to gameplay and the text gets boring when you've already seen it.

Also, the mod doesn't uninstall cleanly since the speech buff will linger and remain on re-install(meaning a double speech buff). I solved it by setting the buff I had to 0, but to prevent this from happening you could include a way to dispel it with the "remove all yps tattoos" button and call it "remove all yps features". I don't think it needs to remove items in the players inventory though, because they get deleted anyway, but doesn't hurt if it's not too much fuss.

As for instant removal: Do you mean the slavetat piercings? This won't work, because adding/removing slavetats needs a few seconds.

Normal piercing items can instantly be removed or worn (if needed, disable the piercing monitor in MCM).

As for uninstall: Generally, it is not a good idea to uninstall a mod during mid-gameplay, much less to re-install it later on. I might think to add a debug option to remove the fashion (de)buff manually.

On 2/14/2024 at 1:55 AM, KentuckyExpat said:

Fashion addiction: Does this persist when you activate the addiction system?

Stockings: The stocking system got revamped by Monoman, and was included into this mod. Maybe that causes the issue. Does the problem persist with a new savegame?