Recommended ARPG's

Rokabur

Just like the title, what are some good single-player ARPG's? Already have D2 (never get D3 until there's an offline patch), Victor Vran and The incredible Adventures of Van Helsing-Final Cut. No online ARPG's cause i already play Path of Exile.

Guess I should have said PC only lol. No PS3, PS4, XBox360, Xbone, Wii or Wii U. My last console was the PS2 and still have it. How well optimized are the Dark Souls games for PC? I remember hearing the first one had a pretty shitty port.

the first dark souls has a pretty bad port, but is a great game and it's still playable on pc, as long as you have a controller.The second one if i'm not wrong got a pretty good port if i'm not wrong.

Torchlight is a pretty good game as well, and i'll also recomend Terraria, it's not exactly an RPG, but its an amazing game

the first dark souls has a pretty bad port, but is a great game and it's still playable on pc, as long as you have a controller.The second one if i'm not wrong got a pretty good port if i'm not wrong.

Torchlight is a pretty good game as well, and i'll also recomend Terraria, it's not exactly an RPG, but its an amazing game

Read up on Terraria, not really my kind of game.

Dark Souls 1 (and 2 but to a lesser extent) while a shitty port is entirely playable with the help of dsfix (or ds2fix) a fan made bit that fixes many problems and optimizes many things. For the first game I also recommend Dark Souls Connectivity Fix (dscfix) and Dark Souls Mouse Fix (dsmfix, unless you intend to use a controller, which I recommend having now played the game with 3 different controllers, fixed and unfixed mouse, and the keyboard alone). They're wonderful. The first one moreso unfortunately. Should also give you time to catch up before the third one drops in April.

Dark Souls 1 (and 2 but to a lesser extent) while a shitty port is entirely playable with the help of dsfix (or ds2fix) a fan made bit that fixes many problems and optimizes many things. For the first game I also recommend Dark Souls Connectivity Fix (dscfix) and Dark Souls Mouse Fix (dsmfix, unless you intend to use a controller, which I recommend having now played the game with 3 different controllers, fixed and unfixed mouse, and the keyboard alone). They're wonderful. The first one moreso unfortunately. Should also give you time to catch up before the third one drops in April.

Might give them a try. How long do people play ARPG's before trying the 1 life hardcore setting? Would love to see someone get through the hardest setting without dying once. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut, beat the game on normal with like 35+ deaths before beating it. Now trying my hand at the hardest difficulty, 5 deaths so far and i haven't even completed chapter 3 of the total 11 chapters lol. Not sure if I could ever do a hardcore mode in any game ever lol. The setting even stated that it's completely unfair lol.

Guest mayaktheunholy

If you liked D2, you might try Titan Quest (has been out a while at this point), and its successor, Grim Dawn. Both available on Steam. I personally like them better than the Diablo series. Do note that Grim Dawn is early access, but is content complete and is only waiting on balance tweaks before release.

darks souls 1 has taken a lot of my free time ( i recommend this game to everybody who likes "skill required" multiplayer games)

i love the fact that you dont have to lvl up to get better gear.

you can basicaly finish the game at a low lvl while defeating players with a higher lvl (experience required)

ps: ornstein and smough arent so hard, just take solaire with you ;)

Guest mayaktheunholy

Ugh, Titan Quest is Diablo 1 all over again with the expansion installing to a seperate folder lol. Why the fuck would the devs do something like that?

Yeah, not sure why they did that. But you can just use the expansion folder and basically ignore the base game's folder (as far as launching/patching/modding, still needs to be on your HD). It doesn't cause any issues as I recall. And any patches or mods will go in the Immortal Throne folder as well.

When you're done with vanilla, try the Soulvizier mod. Note it is significantly harder than vanilla though. There are a number of other mods if you don't want the added challenge.

Hmm...let's see...

*rummage through Steam and GOG libraries*

Okay..here goes..
Darksiders II, Kingdoms of Amalur (...agree with MikeJones on this one), Torchlight I and II (already mentioned as well), Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, Jade Empire, Sacred I and II (Diablo clones), Sudeki, The Witcher series, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (coming soon)

Hmm...let's see...

*rummage through Steam and GOG libraries*

Okay..here goes..

Darksiders II, Kingdoms of Amalur (...agree with MikeJones on this one), Torchlight I and II (already mentioned as well), Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, Jade Empire, Sacred I and II (Diablo clones), Sudeki, The Witcher series, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (coming soon)

I tried the first Witcher game but then just lost interest a few hours into it.

Kingdoms of Amalur was good apart from the really, really horrible voice acting.

But with the other suggestions what about:-

Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga

It's not open world, plays like an ARPG, has really good voice acting, not a bad story apart from the really hideously bad outcome of the first part(*) (i.e. before the expansion). Also it has a rhyming wizard and a psychotic rabbit.

(*) Yes the ending of the non-expanded version is the worst underpant stain in, probably, of all the history for games of this type which don't just crash at the end or just go to the main menu with no explanation. Yep it's that bad. (It's tweeked your interest now).

Gothic 2 is great. And hard. Not Dark Souls hard but still quite challenging especially for dumb people who don't even try to learn a game's systems and controls. So it's perfect in my book.

But old and ugly by today's standards. Still oozes atmosphere and has great world-building. And I don't mind the blocky models, I grew up with even uglier stuff and loved that too (which reminds me, Daggerfall is a great ARPG too btw, hehe)   :cool:

Would you count the "Risen" franchise as ARPG? The first one isn't bad, can't say anything about the other two. You "might" be able to count Hand of Fate, it has you collecting loot and an Arkham-style combat system, but you might argue it's more of a card game, as that's what you spend most of the time looking at. Most of the other really good ones have already been mentioned, what specificly are you looking to get out of the games? ARPG is a VERY broad category.

Would you count the "Risen" franchise as ARPG? The first one isn't bad, can't say anything about the other two. You "might" be able to count Hand of Fate, it has you collecting loot and an Arkham-style combat system, but you might argue it's more of a card game, as that's what you spend most of the time looking at. Most of the other really good ones have already been mentioned, what specificly are you looking to get out of the games? ARPG is a VERY broad category.

Like I didn't say in my OP, single player games that would be considered Diablo-clones mostly though some of the ones sugested have been good too.

Archived