How do I convert a piece of Skyrim armor?

Junkmods

I have a piece of armor, its a single nif file, from skyrim, that I'd like to be able to load into bodyslide and outfit studio for FO4. Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do that? or is someone that already knows how able to do that?

You would have to try to load it into it and see if it can even handle it since you are trying to use it on a file that might not be compatible or even work. Like oblivion files will crash the skyrim outfit studio but fallout NV files won't crash it but all your work to the file has to be done before hitting export or you will never be able to load it into it again without it crashing unless it gets run through mesh rigger then it will. But for FO4's outfit studio I have no clue you will just have to try and hope it doesn't crash the tool.

Check the "Caliente Announced" thread, at the last page you will see a quote from someone with a very basic tutorial to do that.

I'm a complete noob and yet I managed to port 2 outfits from Skyrim using that quick tutorial.

How did you manage to work it? I got the armor ported and in game. But I have no idea on how to to work material editor 

Check the "Caliente Announced" thread, at the last page you will see a quote from someone with a very basic tutorial to do that.

I'm a complete noob and yet I managed to port 2 outfits from Skyrim using that quick tutorial.

Many thanks

yeah but that doesn't tell you how to make a esp file to even use it

FO4Edit is on the Nexus. I do 2 things for outfits....copy a ARMO and copy a ARMA formID into a new esp...named whatever..... MySuit.esp for example.

The ARMO is the actual item you see in the game like Wastelander Outfit, whereas the ARMA is what tells the engine to modify your body with.

Then you just have to go to the ARMA and point the item to the right directory and nifs. I just made a Victory II rifle and put it inside a unique location in the game....However you can just console it in.

I am here to help if I can. It's extremely easy once you do a couple.....you won;t be able to stop I bet!

Here's a pretty in-depth tutorial on how to use Outfit Studio: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/55523-cbbe-outfit-studio-conversions-for-bodyslide/

For Skyrim stuff see this:

Apologies in advance for the wall of text. I spoiler tagged so only those who care will look. I also attached a file that SHOULD put the outfit in game and bodyslide as well, but I am no pro. Nisetanaka said we could share his great stuff so long as it is free.

To convert Skyrim outfits you need to be able to use Outfit Studio, Nifskope and Material Editor.

First

Export obj of desired outfit from Nifskope, since most of these Skyrim outfits have extra bones, physics, etc. Maybe you have just one part, maybe more...the falmer set I chose had 4, so 4 obj files.

Second

I started the Outfit Studio from the Bodyslide main screen. Select New Project from the File tab or hit Ctrl+N. The "Use a template" setting needs to be "Convert:Skyrim CBBE To FO4 CBBE". No other changes for now so hit the Next button. If you had just 1 obj file exported from your Outfit this will be a snap. If you had more, you will see this screen again. This screen chooses what object to change and since I used obj format I selected "Load from OBJ file". Browse to the folder where your extracted obj file is and select it. Everything else is fine so hit the Finish button.

Third

Depending on whether your outfit is fullbody or just a bikini, you will now see a naked CBBE body and possibly some large feet above. Regardless, the object files will be above the CBBE body and roughly 10 times larger!! If you have additional obj files to add just go to the File tab and select Load Outfit and it will bring up the previous screen again for you to choose additional obj files to complete the outfit. You can also just drag and drop if you have your folder open next to bodyslide. Once you have all obj files added, Shift+click all the parts EXCEPT the Reference body...it's GREEN.

Fourth

Under the Shape tab in the middle you see Move Shape, so select that to bring up a window with XYZ coordinates. Left is negative Right is positive, so just throw a -1200 on the Z slider to get the outfit in the ballpark. Hit OK. You can also access this function by Right+Click on the shape name in the right panel itself. Now go back to Shape tab and choose Scale Shape, which will give you another slider, so drop that down to 0.10 and hit OK. The outfit should be roughly in the right spot. You can use a combination of Move Shape and Scale Shape to tweak the whole thing some more, or just click specific parts and tweak them. Once you get the hang of this, the rest is typical Outfit Studio.

Final

You need to copy bone weights from the Reference body, either from the Shape tab or Right+Click the shape name itself. Conform the shape or shapes to the slider and it will deform with the body now. There will be distortion in some places, especially this bikini with straps and rings around the chest. Under Slider tab you need to set the Base shape so that your Skyrim outfit is now FO4 ready. Finally under the File tab you select "Load Reference" to get the CBBE slider template, and conforming the outfit to those so it will work in bodyslide. You could just export the nif to play with, but after all that work why not save the project so you can use it in bodyslide?

That's what I did..but I cheated a bit. To get around the distortion of the bikini, I skipped the "Set Base Shape" step since the bikini is so small and went straight to the CBBE sliders. One trick of Outfit Studio is you can make any adjustments you like, export the nif....then reload it as the outfit and load fresh CBBE reference sliders set to zero. This method allowed me to hide the nipples (somewhat) and fill out the breasts more in the bikini pieces without clipping through the straps. It's not perfect but it took me longer to write this up than actually do it!
Hope it helps and have fun Bodysliding!

The last step involves Material Editor. I just took a material, the hazmatsuit, and modified the map names to point to the Skyrim maps...renaming them to Fallout convention. I replaced 'hazmatsuit_d.dds' with falmerarmor_d.dds...etc.

And yes with oversized boobs you still get clipping and distortion, but hey  :P

With the textures, there are 2 parts (caught me up as well):

1. Making a Material File (start from a template like the hazmat suit used above) - make sure it points to the right texture paths. If you have multiple textures for your outfit (pants verses top for example) then you will need multiple material files. These go into (surprisingly) the Materials folder in DATA\

2. Editing the NIF using NifScope to link it to the right texture paths AND the right material file. You can have it displaying perfectly in OS & NifScope and horrible in your game if you don't set them both. For the piece I was working on, the texture path is set at the "BSLightingShaderProperty" "Name" variable, and the texture paths in "BSShaderTextureSet" (easier to set the textures in Outfit Studio, then edit it after exporting.

Hope this helps

1. Making a Material File (start from a template like the hazmat suit used above) - make sure it points to the right texture paths. If you have multiple textures for your outfit (pants verses top for example) then you will need multiple material files. These go into (surprisingly) the Materials folder in DATA\

2. Editing the NIF using NifScope to link it to the right texture paths AND the right material file. You can have it displaying perfectly in OS & NifScope and horrible in your game if you don't set them both. For the piece I was working on, the texture path is set at the "BSLightingShaderProperty" "Name" variable, and the texture paths in "BSShaderTextureSet" (easier to set the textures in Outfit Studio, then edit it after exporting.

Hope this helps

Alot of help, thanks. And you can set the texture path in outfit studio? I didn't realize that

Hope this helps

You don't need to set the textures in the NIF,only the material file. The material file overrides anything in the nif

Hope this helps

Alot of help, thanks. And you can set the texture path in outfit studio? I didn't realize that

Not really necessary at this time to add the dds textures to the nif.Adding the bgsm (material) file alone works fine. Also in some cases when using skyrim textures you will have to open it in an editor and save it again preferably in a format that works best with FO4 (3Dc or BCn).Especially the skyrim normal maps tend to have an alpha channel.That, needs to go ;)

Quick question to the pros. Is it possible to convert some of the boots with heels and if so how? I tried and failed miserably, no clue how to hide the feet.

Boots yes, open shoes with heels , yes but much harder. Need to use the mask tool (to mask the parts of the feet you want gone) and a zap slider set to 100 and hidden. There was a tutorial i saw recently somewhere around here.

Long story sort , mask the parts u want gone, invert mask, insert new zap slider, press the pencil icon next to it, properties , set to 100 ,check hidden... sort of :P sry not good at giving instructions.

From Rusty XXL post :

1. mask the foot on the reference shape with the mask vertices tool

2. Brush -> invert mask

3. Sliders -> new zap slider

4. Select the new slider in the slider list (the pencil icon)

5. Sliders -> Properties

6. Set Default to 100 and check hidden

7. save

The feet are now zapped away when building the outfit in bodyslide.

Yes that worked! Thank you.

I have another question. What about bracers, I'm talking about the ones from Ashara Princess of the Woods by SydneyB. They are too long so when I try to do the usual Skyrim to CBBE conversion the arm part moves but the rest stays and gets stretched badly. This is for personal use of course, I checked the permissions and its fair use.

Question... Why this new Materials sytem? Does it improve something in specific? Because now modding needs three parts (mesh.tex.mat) up from two...

My guess is to simplify the texture swaps within the esm, or at least keep things more organized.  I personally prefer it versus having all the texture paths in the nif.  Though it likely comes more into play with non armor/clothing assets.  When I first started making armor for FO4 I was making texture swaps for everything, instead of using the nif to point at the material directly.  It works, but it's one extra step.  I'll have to use it to justify my jackassery.

Question... Why this new Materials sytem? Does it improve something in specific? Because now modding needs three parts (mesh.tex.mat) up from two...

My guess is to simplify the texture swaps within the esm, or at least keep things more organized.  I personally prefer it versus having all the texture paths in the nif.  Though it likely comes more into play with non armor/clothing assets.  When I first started making armor for FO4 I was making texture swaps for everything, instead of using the nif to point at the material directly.  It works, but it's one extra step.  I'll have to use it to justify my jackassery.

The texture swap guess goes into the right direction. Only that they are now called MaterialSwaps and are much more powerful than Skyrim texture swaps. The MaterialSwaps use the path of the material file to identify which material to swap (a much more robust mechanism than using shape indices in Skyrim), therefore it makes sense to have it as separate file, also reusability.

Ain't nothing wrong in using them extensively, you should especially use them for color-variations of a single outfit instead of having to copy the same nif and change the material reference in it.

• 2 months later...

Here's a pretty in-depth tutorial on how to use Outfit Studio: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/55523-cbbe-outfit-studio-conversions-for-bodyslide/

For Skyrim stuff see this:

Apologies in advance for the wall of text. I spoiler tagged so only those who care will look. I also attached a file that SHOULD put the outfit in game and bodyslide as well, but I am no pro. Nisetanaka said we could share his great stuff so long as it is free.

To convert Skyrim outfits you need to be able to use Outfit Studio, Nifskope and Material Editor.

First

Export obj of desired outfit from Nifskope, since most of these Skyrim outfits have extra bones, physics, etc. Maybe you have just one part, maybe more...the falmer set I chose had 4, so 4 obj files.

Second

I started the Outfit Studio from the Bodyslide main screen. Select New Project from the File tab or hit Ctrl+N. The "Use a template" setting needs to be "Convert:Skyrim CBBE To FO4 CBBE". No other changes for now so hit the Next button. If you had just 1 obj file exported from your Outfit this will be a snap. If you had more, you will see this screen again. This screen chooses what object to change and since I used obj format I selected "Load from OBJ file". Browse to the folder where your extracted obj file is and select it. Everything else is fine so hit the Finish button.

Third

Depending on whether your outfit is fullbody or just a bikini, you will now see a naked CBBE body and possibly some large feet above. Regardless, the object files will be above the CBBE body and roughly 10 times larger!! If you have additional obj files to add just go to the File tab and select Load Outfit and it will bring up the previous screen again for you to choose additional obj files to complete the outfit. You can also just drag and drop if you have your folder open next to bodyslide. Once you have all obj files added, Shift+click all the parts EXCEPT the Reference body...it's GREEN.

Fourth

Under the Shape tab in the middle you see Move Shape, so select that to bring up a window with XYZ coordinates. Left is negative Right is positive, so just throw a -1200 on the Z slider to get the outfit in the ballpark. Hit OK. You can also access this function by Right+Click on the shape name in the right panel itself. Now go back to Shape tab and choose Scale Shape, which will give you another slider, so drop that down to 0.10 and hit OK. The outfit should be roughly in the right spot. You can use a combination of Move Shape and Scale Shape to tweak the whole thing some more, or just click specific parts and tweak them. Once you get the hang of this, the rest is typical Outfit Studio.

Final

You need to copy bone weights from the Reference body, either from the Shape tab or Right+Click the shape name itself. Conform the shape or shapes to the slider and it will deform with the body now. There will be distortion in some places, especially this bikini with straps and rings around the chest. Under Slider tab you need to set the Base shape so that your Skyrim outfit is now FO4 ready. Finally under the File tab you select "Load Reference" to get the CBBE slider template, and conforming the outfit to those so it will work in bodyslide. You could just export the nif to play with, but after all that work why not save the project so you can use it in bodyslide?

That's what I did..but I cheated a bit. To get around the distortion of the bikini, I skipped the "Set Base Shape" step since the bikini is so small and went straight to the CBBE sliders. One trick of Outfit Studio is you can make any adjustments you like, export the nif....then reload it as the outfit and load fresh CBBE reference sliders set to zero. This method allowed me to hide the nipples (somewhat) and fill out the breasts more in the bikini pieces without clipping through the straps. It's not perfect but it took me longer to write this up than actually do it!

Hope it helps and have fun Bodysliding!

The last step involves Material Editor. I just took a material, the hazmatsuit, and modified the map names to point to the Skyrim maps...renaming them to Fallout convention. I replaced 'hazmatsuit_d.dds' with falmerarmor_d.dds...etc.

And yes with oversized boobs you still get clipping and distortion, but hey  :P

what if the armor says that it and weight vertex's when you try you export it and says it needs to be weight painted in outfit studio to be dixed? ive never done that before but now the piece im working on requires it

• 4 weeks later...

Archived