[CONCEPT] S.O.C.K.S+ Settler Overhaul: Characters, Kids, Skills

Revuu

How would you prefer this mod idea?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer this idea to be one giant mod, or would you prefer it broken down into a few smaller mods so you can pick and choose what you want?

• One large mod
    • A collection of smaller mods
    • BONUS: Work on it like it's a series of small mods, adding them to the mod in parts. The end result mod contains everything once it's finished.

A simple black screen with a vertibrid sound with the expected return time for the mission will do, no need to complicate things honestly.

Assuming they have vertibirds (player owned BoS forward bases please). But black screens can hide so many things, they're wonderful.

"plz sempai, don't notice me teleporting"

Well let's put a sound like this then create an actual use for a vertibird furniture that will offer a bonus for the squad to finish their mission quicker and when builded we change the sound by a vertibird sound. ^^

We could also include other vehicles that give different bonuses since there is some military vehicle meshes in the game. :)

Well let's put a sound like this then create an actual use for a vertibird furniture that will offer a bonus for the squad to finish their mission quicker and when builded we change the sound by a vertibird sound. ^^

We could also include other vehicles that give different bonuses since there is some military vehicle meshes in the game. :)

Oooh, good idea. VBirds would need to be expensive as balls, though.

... also, painted foundation type things to make 'landing pads' for them. Some of the current Settlement mods (SSEX?) do give placeable VBirds, but their size means they tend to hover if the ground is anything but perfectly flat.

BRB, converting the empty plots in Sanctuary to VertiBird landing pads... actually, tomorrow. Too sleepy today.

EDIT: Also, I talked to the person on Nexus who made the "Child Settlers" mod, asking if they might be able to (with GECK) have children give a passive happiness bonus. "I can totally do that with the GECK, sure. And if you want to do a mod that incorporates my mod into it (as a required file or whatever) you're welcome to do so."  So, hopefully that's one less piece to do.

Also found some other people who've made mods CLOSE to some of the ideas here and others that have been floating around my head, just lacking some features or functionality. I'll see if I can contact people regarding this.

To Do:

• Work out the vanilla daily crop production for food values
  • Make an Excel document of FO4's foods
  • Build an airport
  • Harass people through PMs
  • Make the website shiny
  • Transfer my mental burbling from forums to the website
  • Slim down the original posts to not scare people
  • Work out BoS callsigns
  • Make an info-dump Google Document

not sure if this is a good add-on but hear me out, why not add barracks for the Minute man if you do the quest line, and you can set up squad in each settlement, have the guard, attack, or protrol the roads to keep the cravens safe, while adding Def and happiness in settlements while there in guard there, like each settlement can have 1 squad, while the castle can have 3 to 4 on hand to back up other settlements, as well as make a Heavy squad that use the T45 power armor with the minute man paint, as i feel the settlement and Minuteman go hand in hand so upgrading the 1 with out the other seems a bit off, as both systems need work

not sure if this is a good add-on but hear me out, why not add barracks for the Minute man if you do the quest line, and you can set up squad in each settlement, have the guard, attack, or protrol the roads to keep the cravens safe, while adding Def and happiness in settlements while there in guard there, like each settlement can have 1 squad, while the castle can have 3 to 4 on hand to back up other settlements, as well as make a Heavy squad that use the T45 power armor with the minute man paint, as i feel the settlement and Minuteman go hand in hand so upgrading the 1 with out the other seems a bit off, as both systems need work

Instead of making a whole big barrack for Minute Men....

Just make a bed that is meant for a Minuteman.  The player can build the structure or whatever.

If the player wants Minute Men to path around the Base how about setting up a "Welcome Matt" Object that the player has to walk around the Settlement dropping on the ground like any other Construction object....No idea how you would do the out of bounds thing....

The thing is that the in game bunkers already force the AI guard to path between 3 bunkers so this might actually save time.

So the Player could basically set up 3 checkpoints per guy....Probably without the modder having to figure out much more than how to place those matts outside of the settlement.

Something I would like to see is..........

You know how we get Mortars?

What about Machine gun nests?

Seems to me that MiniGun mount on the Vertibird missed a golden opertunity being attached to those bunkers to be used by NPC's that are guards....They could walk up to the mini-gun and swivel it left to right....Fire it on approaching Credit Card salesmen...that sort of thing.

You know how we get Mortars?

What about Machine gun nests?

Seems to me that MiniGun mount on the Vertibird missed a golden opertunity being attached to those bunkers to be used by NPC's that are guards....They could walk up to the mini-gun and swivel it left to right....Fire it on approaching Credit Card salesmen...that sort of thing.=

The Minutemen artillery is basically mortars. Pretty much. As for MG nests and miniguns, those are already discussed in the OP.

@ Gameplayer ya thats not a bad idea ether, but i do went the Minutemen to have an overhual as well, as Revuu has stated that settlements need a rework, and i do think the Minuteman can fit the def needs of settlement, and it works with the game lore, but as it is now the minuteman and the settlements feel very bare bone, Settlements are a cap and time sink with little to no payout, and the minutemen are a joke all it is random quests that the player dose over and over again, they have really no point to them

I've always thought that the settlements were a "please mod me" node.  I do find it a little bit irritating that Bethesda's now treating the mod community as unpaid workers. I really think they should kick some cash Revuu's way once this mod gets finished, especially because it will likely become one of the must have mods.

This all sounds awesome, but my first thought is "this is a lot of work, i really hope it gets finished".   I am always in awe of the content created by this modding community.  

I for one really appreciate it.

I've always thought that the settlements were a "please mod me" node.  I do find it a little bit irritating that Bethesda's now treating the mod community as unpaid workers. I really think they should kick some cash Revuu's way once this mod gets finished, especially because it will likely become one of the must have mods.

This all sounds awesome, but my first thought is "this is a lot of work, i really hope it gets finished".   I am always in awe of the content created by this modding community.  

I for one really appreciate it.

Oh hell no! I'm just mashing the ideas together in a nice way. Honestly, in the end it'll probably be broken down in to lots of little pieces and made. When you look at it like that, suddenly it's not so much work.

... that and I was hoping that if I made the ideas look awesome, other people would adopt them.

I really don't care about getting credit for anything listed in the post. What matters to me is that Settlements becomes something beyond "The Sims 2287" with the characters disabled. It's all well and good building everything, but then you realise... wait, I'm PLAYING in this world too, this isn't The Sims. Where the hell is my caps and resource return for all my time?

I'm just saying, its all appreciated.  Bethesda's given us a nice sandbox to play in, but its mods like this expanding on these "please mod me" nodes that will make this game spectacular.

True, but it's some of the glaringly obvious stuff they've missed that pisses me off.

"Hey, are we going to make it so people can see what roles Settlers have?"

"Lol no, we release in four months, no-one's going to spend time in Settlements!"

... sorry, did Bethesda not know about how much time people spend in Creative mode on Minecraft? Of COURSE people are going to spend ages on their settlements.

As for your poll it would depend, if we get a MCM menu or something like it and your mod has ways to turn off or adjust certain features I would prefer it as one single mod. But really do what is easiest for you to do would be best.

Can't FOMOD cover that, too? As part of the installation process.

Although MCM is almost certainly the best way to do it - that way you can balance settlements to your taste. And if things are running off flat numerical multipliers, you could probably make them adjustable in MCM. Similar to how you could adjust exposure rates in Frostfall?

fomod should be able to let you turn on and off stuff not sure how good it would be for tweaking though. Since you could change your mind on a few things and want to adjust it in a MCM. I am mostly thinking tweaking the chance children show up in the settlement or raider attacks etc happen. For those a MCM would be way better, for some of the big stuff fomod would work just fine and might even be better for the big things.

fomod should be able to let you turn on and off stuff not sure how good it would be for tweaking though. Since you could change your mind on a few things and want to adjust it in a MCM. I am mostly thinking tweaking the chance children show up in the settlement or raider attacks etc happen. For those a MCM would be way better, for some of the big stuff fomod would work just fine and might even be better for the big things.

I was thinking maybe have the raider stuff in a standalone mod? Simply because it's a topic people have lots of views about.

On the one hand, I think raider attacks should still happen, and that my settlements should be able to defend against it. On the other, I can agree with people hating them and wanting to get rid of them.

And with the third hand growing out of my chest like Zaphod Beeblebrox, I want to be able to trigger raider attacks for shits and giggles.

You could do it stand alone or have it in the fomod so there is only one mod and you choose what to install or and I consider this better. Have a MCM slider to set chance of raider attack. Then people that don't want it can set it to zero and not have them and others could adjust it from 1% to 100% chance.

Waiting for a better solution (MCM-like menu) we can use the vanilla menu system to make menus for the player to configure the mod(s) settings, that's really not a problem and the menu system is vertical and not horizontal like in Skyrim. (why did they even think this was a good idea?...)

Waiting for a better solution (MCM-like menu) we can use the vanilla menu system to make menus for the player to configure the mod(s) settings, that's really not a problem and the menu system is vertical and not horizontal like in Skyrim. (why did they even think this was a good idea?...)

CONSOLES LOL.

Ahem, sorry. A slight kneejerk reaction there.

The moment they decided to make Fallout 4 for consoles.

Anyway, I think this mod (SOCKS) would work great if it was modular, for example you can decide what features you want to enable(Like enable character and skills but disable kids)

I'm drifting away from this for a bit while I work on a gameplay overhaul mod thing. Well, I say work. I vomit ideas and try to think of workarounds for problems.

Chances are some of the stuff from SOCKS and FFS will end being incorporated into the larger Overhaul, or maybe I can even grab some help from the mod team for it. Who knows!

Anyway, my point is, this project isn't a priority. Not until GECK becomes a thing, anyway.

When you come back to this, and sorry if I'm just repeating what's already been said:

Shifts!

For immersion's sake, we need to be able to assign settlers in shifts. Currently, the bartender goes off duty at the same time everyone else does, so you get the immersion breaking mechanic of all your settlers hanging out an an untended bar.

Another example is guards who stand at their post 24/7 and never go to sleep. I always feel like I'm stealing them from the settlement population when assigning them as a guard. It would be nice to be able to assign two or three to a post so you could have 12 on 12 off or 8 on 8 off shifts.  

Shifts would require a mod menu similar to Skyrim to manage properly I'm assuming.

This also depends on how hard coded the current assignment mechanic is. It might not be possible to change the way assigned/unassigned is displayed in build mode, so shifts might need to be automated: first person assigned toggles the "assigned" icon shift from red to green, and is assigned the full work time. Second settler assigned splits the work time in two and takes the second shift, etc.

Other factors that might require modding are that even with guard posts, I have seen settlers assign themselves automagically. That would need to be shut off by default or optionally.

Also, settlers should probably be made to run to their shift. Creation Engine AI packages are famously slow to trigger in some cases, and with the settlers walking everywhere at that stately pace they have, adding shorter length AI packages might become problematic, so compensating by having them move around quicker might be a good idea.

• 4 weeks later...

would add some things from Fallout Shelter, as well as stuff from previous Fallout games...

- whore (as part of entertaining, specializing entertainer assigned)

- slave (could be a position for synth's that are captured maybe?!, first - third gen., more RPG elements in regards to helping/saving/etc. for synths)

- herding (settler's taking care of and breeding dogs/cats/brahmin/deathclaws/etc.) deathclaws and other active enemy animals/creatures would have to be controlled suggest using items from FONV and creating a leveled item list specific to permanently pacifying using enclave/institute technologies for these types.

- slave/whore (can be used by settlers and animals as needed, considering fallout series past with slavery and abuse of humans and anything else)

- babymakers/breeders (could be slaves, where possible... people working solely in couples or groups to create more human life)

- trash collectors (something to be added to the gather/scavenge station) from each settlement

- scrapping (something else that should be added to gather/scavenge station)

or leave the 'adult' material to be a separate addon to attach to this mod/idea.

On the Settler perks, Maybe add some negative perks for immersion/added complexity.

example -

Dour - This character is as cynical as they come, creates unhappiness when paired with or near  a bubbly perked character.

Shortsighted - Negative penalties to long range combat (rifle guns), Bonus to crafting and melee combat

Farsighted - Plus to ranged combat, negatives to farming, scavenging, crafting, etc

Dunce - Gains exp at half the normal rate, additional penalty adds a .90 multiplier to people he's paired with as their constant re-explanaitons of things lowers their effectiveness (Leveled beyond tier 4 he becomes an idiot savant at the task with a x2 multiplier because he's learned the task by rote)

Archived