PyPipboyApp - Unofficial Fallout 4 Pipboy Companion Application

View File

PyPipboyApp is a platform independent and extensible unofficial Fallout 4 Pipboy Companion App written in Python3 using PyQt5. It runs on Windows, Linux and Mac, and is meant as replacement of the official companion app on the PC (You don't need to mess around with that non-working android emulator anymore, isn't that great news!).

It currently provides the same features as the official companion app, and on top of that it adds it's own features like note taking, POI markers, hotkeys, automatic application of stimpacks, and more ...

It can be also found on the Nexus.

Features

• Platform independent, extensible and Open-Source (Runs on Windows, Linux and Mac)
  • Uses dock widgets that can be individually shown/hidden, and dragged and dropped to any position, allowing to fully customize the GUI
  • Allows to even further customize the GUI by using style sheets (for an eye pleasing dark theme)
  • Comes with a lot of widgets that display lots of different information (local and global map, player stats, ....)
  • Supports taking notes and placing your own map markers
  • Allows you to view collectibles (Magazines and Bobble-Heads) on the map and track if you have already collected them
  • Allows you to send commands to the game (fast travel, equip item, ...)
  • Hotkey support on Windows
  • Relay Mode allowing you to connect two instances of this application together
  • Data import/export
  • Automatic version check

Currently included Widgets

• Data Browser
  • Data Update Logger
  • Player Info
  • Player Condition (showing limb damage)
  • Date/Time
  • Map (Global and Local)
  • Hotkeys
  • Equipped Weapons and Grenades
  • Small Player Info
  • Active Effects
  • Radio
  • Location Browser
  • Quests
  • Perks
  • workshops
  • Player Status and Statistics
  • Doctor's Bag
  • Inventory Browser
  • Auto Doc
  • Ammo Count

Installation

• Download the All-In-One archive from the download section, unpack it, and start PyPipboyApp.exe
  • Enable the Companion App in the Fallout 4 ingame settings.
  • Connect to the running game.

For more advanced user there is also a script only version.

Important Information

• Fallout 4 does only allow one single connection at a time. This means you cannot connect the official app and this application at the same time.
  • When Fallout 4 is in the background (e.g. because you pressed ALT+TAB), then it will accept a new connection, but not send any data until it is in the foreground again.
  • Fallout 4 will not execute commands (e.g. fast travel, set/remove custom marker) when you are in the menu or the away-from-keyboard animation is playing.
  • When you closed a widget and you don't know how to open it again, right-click on the menu bar. Then a context menu will open, that allows you to show/hide any available widgets.

Current Status

The application is currently under heavy development and in an alpha state, but in my opinion already quite usable. But beware that there may be still bugs.

Development/Contribution

Active development happens on github. There you can browse the source code. And if you want to contribute, don't hesitate to contact me.

License

The python scripts are released under GPL 3.0. The graphical assets are from the official Companion App and are subject to Bethesda's terms of services.

Changelog

v0.4alpha:
- Initial upload

v0.5alpha:
- Got rid of PyInstaller. File size has doubled, but (hopefully) no more false-positives with AV-software.
- Added hotkey and equipped weapons & grenades.
- Added radio and active effects widgets.
- Several small bugfixes and improvements.

v0.6alpha:
- Added Small Player Info Widget and akPip-Green style
- Added Location Browser
- Improved hotkeys widget
- Several bugfixes and improvements

v0.7alpha:
- Added quests, perks, workshop, statistics browser and player status widgets
- Added doctor's bag
- Added inventory browser
- Improved every existing widget
- Added location notes and artillery range to global map
- Added data import/export
- Added automatic version check
- Added relay mode
- A lot of bugfixes and improvements
- Other things I forgot

v0.8alpha:
- Added POI markers and collectible marker (with audio alerts)
- Added Auto Doc widget
- Added Ammo Count widget
- Added resizable map markers
- A lot of bugfixes and other improvements

Just to be pedantic, could I run this on, say, a laptop with the game running on my desktop and it will function over the network like the official iPad/Android app?

Yes, it can completely replace the official App (not all functionality has been implemented yet, but will eventually) and works over the local network.

Just to be pedantic, could I run this on, say, a laptop with the game running on my desktop and it will function over the network like the official iPad/Android app?

Yes, it can completely replace the official App (not all functionality has been implemented yet, but will eventually) and works over the local network.

That is awesome. I'm going to have to rearrange *cough*CLEAN*cough* my desk so I can use this.

Congrats, you've made a program that can get me to clean my room, lol.

Just indicating that I'll follow the project, also since it's open source, do you mind if... well, it's lover's lab after all.... if we sluttify it ?

It's released under GPL, so I cannot do anything against it as long as you provide the sources (Not that I have anything against it).  I am just wondering how you can sluttify it (but I am sure Loverslab will find a way :P)

Description

If someone knows how I can avoid these false positives, please contact me!

The only way to remove a false positve is to contact the anti-malware devs, of the programs, giving the false positive.

It's not something I've ever done, but would expect if Nexus ran a multiple anti-malware check, they can tell you the culprits.

I thought the Nexus gave a warning and didn't block for false positives, but that may have changed. False positives, now may need checking first.

Each anti-malware program will have their own procedure, but physically checking your file is usually required.

The programs have exclusion lists, if the program is not excluded, anti-malware check for routines that can possibly be used by malware.

Not actual unknown malware, the known ones are automatically checked.

It's also version specific, each version may require checking, because the program has changed, it's routines have changed.

You may remove the offending routines or even add new ones, but each version is a new program and needs rechecking.

Qt supports Android, theoretically it should also be possible to get it running on Android. Have never tried it though. But why do you want to have it on Android if you already have the official App .

Possibly for additional functionality this intends to supply, it replaces the official app.

What CAN'T LL "Slutify"?  hahaha

The Script Extenders for one, which is what, I think matzman666 meant when he said, "I am just wondering how you can sluttify it".

Description

PyPipboyApp is a platform independent and extensible unofficial Fallout 4 Pipboy Companion App

This appears to me, to be more like F4SE and even SexLab, you don't sluttify them. They allow you to change more of the games functions, in this case the Pip-Boy App.

Indeed it appears to only work in place of that app, it works the same and will allow you to "sluttify" the App, however you can think of using it's features.

I've never used the official app, I want to see the pip-boy enlarged on my screen, but only when I want too look at it.

I'm uncertain, but think this has no effect on the in game pip-boy and changes will not actually appear on the in game pip-boy, but in game can always be modded, to match the app.

Personally I think the PipBoy is a ridiculous product, one that would never be bought. We know what people bought as mobile devices.

No-one would ever pay to wear that huge lump of plastic (The popular plastic gimmick, is just that, not a real world device).

Mobiles would have followed the same path. Starting from chunky hand-held keypads, held to the ear. A hand-held can be put down, when unused and at first needed recharging, after each use.

Improving and decreasing in size until CPU's are small enough and powerful enough, to switch to the visual devices we use today.

Though Fallout's computer tech is supposed to be way behind ours, it's clearly not that far behind and we know how fast it advances.

For the atomic devices to exist and the robots, miniturization of computers must be more advanced than it appears.

There is the get out clause of post war tech development, but that doesn't explain the Mr Handy's and other pre-war tech.

I can suspend my disbelief in game, but draw the line at external wrist lumps or even apps on mobiles.

I use large screens for vids and games, I never play or watch on mobiles, instead I use my mobile time, to write on forums like this.

That doesn't mean you can't use this, good core mods are the unsung cause of many other great mods, we should support their development.

Who knows, maybe this can even produce a function I want, it may even work in game as well, which is the only way I'm likely to want to use it.

Others will use it to make better mods and more functions are key to better mods, you can choose to use them or not.

It's more choices either way and that's something I support.

Just indicating that I'll follow the project, also since it's open source, do you mind if... well, it's lover's lab after all.... if we sluttify it ?

It's released under GPL, so I cannot do anything against it as long as you provide the sources (Not that I have anything against it).  I am just wondering how you can sluttify it (but I am sure Loverslab will find a way :P)

Well when we get Arousal & Lust/Pregnancy etc up an drunning we may want to use this to display their stats, also maybe as a replacement/supplement for MCM?

Controlling power armor?

The Script Extenders for one, which is what, I think matzman666 meant when he said, "I am just wondering how you can sluttify it".

Technically used IN "slutifying" so...   hahahaha

Not counting kids which are by choice off limits here (and I am 1 billion percent happy with that), there is nothing that is directly or indirectly "unslutifyible".

Background images for the UI could have naked Vault Girls, Sex Scenes, etc.  That's how you could "Slutify" it, by the way.

Also looking at it, I can see so many things that could be added to it.  Needs type things.  No more hud overlays.

Over on the section with the HP/AP/Caps etc, you have plenty of room, for needs plugins. 

Can quest logs be added to this window too, next to the map window?

The only way to remove a false positve is to contact the anti-malware devs, of the programs, giving the false positive.

It's not something I've ever done, but would expect if Nexus ran a multiple anti-malware check, they can tell you the culprits.

I thought the Nexus gave a warning and didn't block for false positives, but that may have changed. False positives, now may need checking first.

Each anti-malware program will have their own procedure, but physically checking your file is usually required.

The programs have exclusion lists, if the program is not excluded, anti-malware check for routines that can possibly be used by malware.

Not actual unknown malware, the known ones are automatically checked.

It's also version specific, each version may require checking, because the program has changed, it's routines have changed.

You may remove the offending routines or even add new ones, but each version is a new program and needs rechecking.

The PyInstaller dev team already has reported numerous false positives to AV-devs, that's why most well-known AV-engines don't flag PyInstaller packages as malware anymore (this was apparently different a few year ago). There are only some no-name engines left that report it as malware. And after PyInstaller update the whole cycle may start again. Sure I can try to tell them, but I prefer to not participate in this cat-and-mouse game. We are testing some other potential solutions that may solve this problem permanently.

I don't know what software the nexus is using, they ignore my communication attempts for days now and leave me completely in the dark.

I'm uncertain, but think this has no effect on the in game pip-boy and changes will not actually appear on the in game pip-boy, but in game can always be modded, to match the app.

It doesn't change the ingame Pipboy at all, it only provides an additional pipboy on your second monitor/screen (and I use it even on a third monitor :D).

Well when we get Arousal & Lust/Pregnancy etc up an drunning we may want to use this to display their stats, also maybe as a replacement/supplement for MCM?

Controlling power armor?

I can only display data the game sends me, and Bethesda's dev themselves are certainly not implementing arousal/pregnancy stats or similar. But maybe the F4SE team can add additonal stuff? I think that is a question worth asking in the F4SE forum.

Not counting kids which are by choice off limits here (and I am 1 billion percent happy with that), there is nothing that is directly or indirectly "unslutifyible".

Background images for the UI could have naked Vault Girls, Sex Scenes, etc.  That's how you could "Slutify" it, by the way.

True, you can make a "slutty" style for the GUI. And my application already provides styling support.

Also looking at it, I can see so many things that could be added to it.  Needs type things.  No more hud overlays.

Over on the section with the HP/AP/Caps etc, you have plenty of room, for needs plugins.

Can quest logs be added to this window too, next to the map window?

It's far from finished. The plan is to add new widgets/functionality over time. Because of current events I am somehow lacking motivation to continue right now, but I think eventually my motivation will come back.

O/

I can't seem to be able to launch it, trying normally do nothing, trying as admnistrator freeze explorer.exe, trying via cmd freeze cmd windows...

Any ideas why ?

Thanks!

Is everything frozen and you need to restart Windows?

My first guess would be maybe you have not enough space on your hard disk. The application needs some temporary space to create an execution environment, and if you cannot provide this space, then the application may freeze.

O/

I can't seem to be able to launch it, trying normally do nothing, trying as admnistrator freeze explorer.exe, trying via cmd freeze cmd windows...

Any ideas why ?

Thanks!

Is everything frozen and you need to restart Windows?

My first guess would be maybe you have not enough space on your hard disk. The application needs some temporary space to create an execution environment, and if you cannot provide this space, then the application may freeze.

nope, nothing froze, except in admin mode but only explorer.exe and cmd.exe. also no process seems to be launched by it (I search for a process starting by p but nothing)

Technically used IN "slutifying" so...   hahahaha

USED to sluttify something else is, what I already said. Your original statement was to sluttify the mod, not use it to do so to something else.

Just like F4SE and even SexLab if you think about, you can't sluttify them because they are not objects, in game you can manipulate.

They are the basic functionality required to allow us to do many things, the BGS devs never intended or expected we could.

If anything these types of mods are much more important than any other mod, because without them most mods would be worse or not even possible, not just the slutty ones.

Having said that it will possibly, as another post points out, allow reskinning of the Apps GUI. As I now know, it is external, but also a PC program and replaces the entire Pip-Boy App.

It will practically have it's own GUI, even though technically, it uses the GUI of the OS it runs on or as with python, a cross platform replacement GUI, to the user that doesn't matter, it's the end result that counts.

The only way to remove a false positve is to contact the anti-malware devs, of the programs, giving the false positive....

The PyInstaller dev team already has reported numerous false positives to AV-devs, that's why most well-known AV-engines don't flag PyInstaller packages as malware anymore (this was apparently different a few year ago). There are only some no-name engines left that report it as malware. And after PyInstaller update the whole cycle may start again. Sure I can try to tell them, but I prefer to not participate in this cat-and-mouse game. We are testing some other potential solutions that may solve this problem permanently.

I don't know what software the nexus is using, they ignore my communication attempts for days now and leave me completely in the dark.

Not certain how their mod makers system works, but think there's a minimum downloads amount (all your mods, not one) to be invited onto the hidden mod authors forum.

I usually get a response by directly PMing the Forum Moderators, but unless the recent Malware scare has changed the pollicy. I recall seeing plenty of mods with questionable virus scans. Including ones too large to be scanned at all.

In light of the above statement though, have the Nexus actually said it's under review, due to the Virus Scan. It may be they are checking with Bethesda Softworks, as they did with the Script Extenders, that this type of mod is allowable, that may be the reason for the delay. The Nexus will abide by the BS decision, whether BS has the legal power, to enforce that decision or even if it's unclear, what the decision itself means and it's open to interpretation.

If it's the Virus scans though, my original statement stands, you've mentioned you're looking at programming alternatives, for future versions. That's one option for updates, but fails if any version is blocked. Regardless of how "no named", they may be or the methods they use, the offending AV's can only add your installer to an exemption list, if you ask them to. Whether they will actually add it or not, is a different problem.

It doesn't change the ingame Pipboy at all, it only provides an additional pipboy on your second monitor/screen (and I use it even on a third monitor).

That's good to here, that does make it more desirable for an immersive play style, as the in game Pip-Boy freezes the game when used.

My first playthrough, I'll stick with in game exploit. Only on this first time playthrough though, immersive will be an option next time. It will be an good option then, for me.

My three 27" 2560×1440 monitors usually stand idle, now my 2+ year old HD 7970 Graphics cards were the most powerful when bought. Now eyefinity at that resolution is beyond their ability.

No surprise, when you consider, 4K has 8 million pixels and those three use 11 million in eyefinity. So low resource usage becomes a factor when trunning on the PC as well.

This brings up the question of having a large screen UI for PC's, filling a spare screen and having better PC control and fonts. All games that have multiple playing styles should have UI's for each Style.

Style means,

Monitor inches away with K&M

TV feet away with Gamepad.

Hand-helds

Mobiles

Monitor with Gamepad is an Hybrid of Monitor layout with Gamepad controls. It's derived from the joining them and any other combo that can be derived from the core parts.

Any platform a game is released on should come with all the UI's for all the styles of playing, that platform can be used with.

I know of no technical reason, that stops consoles using a monitor/Gamepad setup and only deliberate design, could stop K&M on consoles.

So consoles and PC, should require the same UI's, the user must decide, what style to use.

What I think is right for games, applies to any related program, including this.

Providing UI's for every style of play, makes it a better program.

New version is up:

v0.5alpha:
- Got rid of PyInstaller. File size has doubled, but (hopefully) no more false-positives with AV-software.
- Added hotkey and equipped weapons & grenades (Credits to akamal).
- Added radio and active effects widgets.
- Several small bugfixes and improvements.

Not certain how their mod makers system works, but think there's a minimum downloads amount (all your mods, not one) to be invited onto the hidden mod authors forum.

I usually get a response by directly PMing the Forum Moderators, but unless the recent Malware scare has changed the pollicy. I recall seeing plenty of mods with questionable virus scans. Including ones too large to be scanned at all.

In light of the above statement though, have the Nexus actually said it's under review, due to the Virus Scan. It may be they are checking with Bethesda Softworks, as they did with the Script Extenders, that this type of mod is allowable, that may be the reason for the delay. The Nexus will abide by the BS decision, whether BS has the legal power, to enforce that decision or even if it's unclear, what the decision itself means and it's open to interpretation.

If it's the Virus scans though, my original statement stands, you've mentioned you're looking at programming alternatives, for future versions. That's one option for updates, but fails if any version is blocked. Regardless of how "no named", they may be or the methods they use, the offending AV's can only add your installer to an exemption list, if you ask them to. Whether they will actually add it or not, is a different problem.

Nexus has now lifted the moderator review (and still haven't said a single world to me). Newest version does not produce any false-positives anymore, so everthing is well now, and hopefully stays well.

I used the older version and it worked perfectly. Trying this one and it just doesn't load. No errors or anything just nothing.

What operating system are you using? In the directory where the launcher exe is located, is there a log file? Could you please post it?

Windows 10 and nothing in the directory with the launcher, just the two folders. I downloaded the win 32 archive.

Anyone else had issues? It's strange that the original release worked perfectly. I enjoyed it too. I'll see about trying the other package.

I just tested in on a freshly installed Win10, and didn't had any issues. Maybe your anti-virus software is blocking the file (and I hoped all issues with AV-software are resolved).

I attached a bat script you can use as launcher replacement (just copy it into the same folder, would be even greater if you could execute it in a command prompt and report what's happening). If it doesn't work could you try to double-click on python.exe in the python34 directory and report what's happening.

PyPipboyApp.bat.zip