NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

It's probably not that good to switch from the old v56 to v60/61 mid game as it will take some time.

I waited until I was going to start a new game with a fresh skyrim install and fresh reinstall of mods and it went without any problems and I think it helped that I started on v61+ so that the initial bugs had been sorted out. I don't worry about upgrades particularly as the main changeover to symbolic links has been made now.

I can't comment on the profiles as I've never seen a use for them so have never used them

It's probably not that good to switch from the old v56 to v60/61 mid game.

I waited until I was going to start a new game with a fresh skyrim install and fresh reinstall of mods and it went without any problems and I think it helped that I started on v61+ so that the initial bugs had been sorted out. I don't worry about upgrades particularly as the main changeover to symbolic links has been made now.

Exactly. Therefore I wrote on the main page that transfer from 0.56 to 0.61.+ is recommended on the fresh game or/and reinstallation of Skyrim. I did that when reinstalled Skyrim. Started from the fresh beginning.

I have to say I've been pretty impressed with it, the more I use it the more I like it.

The slow install seems to be caused by the unpacking running slowly though I'm not sure why it should take so long

I think it is because of (please forgive me if being inaccurate, don't know how to explain better because of my limited English) NMM do not extract mods directly using OS's unzipping utilities but own. Doing unzipping, it integrates mod into the NMM  in the same time. That's why, I think it is slow on large files.

Mid game or not, reinstalling from scratch Skyrim + 200 mods, Oblivion + 50 mods, FONV + 50 mods is too much. And as I have no idea how to actually debug Oblivion crashes other than adding/removing mods, running LOOT and try to play to see if it is fixed, the damage was even worse. 

The initial 0.61 was completely broken. It did not follow the original install order (even if the people on Nexus said it would), it half-installed SOS, CBBE and about 20 other mods. It basically crushed any game it was used for. 

I have 4 profiles - "basic" (only fixes and basic tools), "sl base" (CBBE, SexLab and core SL mods), "SOS"(+armor and clothes) and "SAM"(+ armor and clothes). The idea was that when it breaks while switching a profile I can go to one of the two basic and recover. However it turned out that even with this setup I was spending way too much time in NMM fixing, switching, reinstalling, rather than in the game. For example even if the switch from SOS to SAM looks OK it would have left an SOS-dependent esp or some other files from mods that are now shown as inactive.

And it started sneaking-in mods - some SOS and SAM mods started showing up as green in the basic profiles for no reason.

I completely appreciate everything good NMM has to offer (as much as becoming a premium user there as a gesture of support). My point is that they are quite irresponsible with their update policies and with it (NMM) the rule  "if it works do not touch it" is more valid than usual.

prinyo - sorry to hear that you have so much trouble with it. I'm sorry, but never have anything you described. And I'm not the only one as you are not the only one. There are users with both experiences. I'm regularly reading troubleshooter on Nexus and some other forums. Why is that it works to someone and it doesn't to other, I wouldn't know. All I can say, I haven't been disappointing in NMM so far and it works great on my PC.

Well, from what I read the problems with the initial install are more or less fixed and people don't have as much problems anymore. About the problems with the profile switching - I guess the more mods need to be activated/deactivated, the bigger the chance of a problem. Also parts PC/Windows considerations and parts luck :-)

The main rule - if NMM shows you an update popup the best thing to do is read it carefully so you are sure you are not accepting it (the first 0.61 showed that it is possible that NMM will treat the buttons "No" and "Cancel" as a slight variation of "Yes"), then wait a day, go the forums and read the latest posts and if everything is fine - install.

One hour ago I uninstalled all my mods (140) and then reinstall them. Had no problem at all in both operations. NMM did its job well.

The only thing that bothered me was slow de-installation/installation of large mods (over 80 MB). Everything else went flawless. I'm more and more thrilled with NMM. :)

Um...

That is exactly the way it should work ;).

LOL. You should be able to uninstall the mods and reinstall them and yes.. even FOMM has a choking point when you start doing massive de-installation/installation of large mods.

Also why "fresh install" of the game? If you know the base files (esm/bsa) why not just delete the loose files (and any mod named esp/bsa combos? If any ever get left which I doubt ever would happen Well should never happen with a mod manager ;)) That would get rid of the loose files from mods and provide a clean slate for you to start from. A few clicks in the Data folder for deletes and click update. Useful for those with a quick internet connection.

Setup... for any any manual installed into the data folder. (or the main game folder etc) zipped up with a number .. for order of installation. Fresh install, 01-NVSE 02-TESedit 03-Bat files 04-ENP mods. Just make sure they are structured for the entire game Skyrim (with a data folder inside for reference)

By the way this is the way I install all mods manually (currently Fallout 4 ). If something went wrong I change the prefix number of the mod or resource. :). This is the "ol' school" way of modding a game.. lol ;).

Also why "fresh install" of the game? If you know the base files (esm/bsa) why not just delete the loose files (and any mod named esp/bsa combos? If any ever get left which I doubt ever would happen Well should never happen with a mod manager ;)) That would get rid of the loose files from mods and provide a clean slate for you to start from. A few clicks in the Data folder for deletes and click update. Useful for those with a quick internet connection.

thanks for great tips my friend. The "fresh install" is recommend when switching from 0.53.+ to 0.61.+. It's not "must do" but because of the new way that NMM integrate and move mods from mods folder into VirtualInstall folder. For me, your suggestions has sense but for experienced users as yourself. For rookies (like me) who find difficult to understand how some things works this is the safest way. That's why, my friend, you using MO and I'm using NMM ;):P

thanks for great tips my friend. The "fresh install" is recommend when switching from 0.53.+ to 0.61.+. It's not "must do" but because of the new way that NMM integrate and move mods from mods folder into VirtualInstall folder. For me, your suggestions has sense but for experienced users as yourself. For rookies (like me) who find difficult to understand how some things works this is the safest way. That's why, my friend, you using MO and I'm using NMM ;):P

I believe your father started using MO.. :D. I think he liked it as well. :D.

This explanation on how to clean up the Data folder is the same given for advanced modders using MO. The newer users or those not familiar with the data files / game files need a clean install. Same as MO. Then you have a clear clean platform to start modding and now with NMM's virtual folder your game folder should remain clean if my understanding is correct on this matter.

Now MO only works with the Data folder, not sure if NMM will install files directly to the main folder (where the .exe game file is). If this is the case then yes.. you should delete and reinstall the game files. There won't be any time savings cleaning out the files and verify cache vs a reinstall even on a mechanical drive. If you don't have a backup you should be able to make one from Steam then delete the game and reinstall. I believe STeam only copies and creates a backup from the game files your backup won't be contaminated with backing up a very used game with various files.

Also make sure you manually enter the Common/Skyrim folder and manually delete everything if that hasn't been mentioned. (Elf Princes OP is MASSIVE,  very informative but MASSIVE :P)

Yes believe it or not.. every once in a while I delete my game and reinstall even though I use MO..

"If you know the base files (esm/bsa)"

Well, not everyone can know every single file in every single subdirectory of the default installation of all their games.  Every single mesh, texture, script and so on.

So for those of us who have not memorized all of this the fresh install is usually the only option.

A backup of the game from before upgrading will also not help.

This is like sometimes you simply need to reinstall WIndows. It doesn't matter if some will tell you how easy it is to rewrite some dll's, write one or two drivers, remove the registry entries that you know should not be there and within a week you will be fine. You simply reinstall the thing and within an hour you are OK :-)

"If you know the base files (esm/bsa)"

Well, not everyone can know every single file in every single subdirectory of the default installation of all their games.  Every single mesh, texture, script and so on.

So for those of us who have not memorized all of this the fresh install is usually the only option.

A backup of the game from before upgrading will also not help.

I wasn't talking about the folders.. I was talking only about the base Esm/BSA files. There is the main game Skyrim, Dragonsborn, Hearthfires and Dawnguard, perhaps you might want to keep the HighResTexture pack as well The rest of any esp, bsa gets deleted along with the folders. If you deleted something you weren't sure of .. great. no problem Verify cache will fix all that. The key is to get rid of anything you have doubts with. Loose folders are exactly the thing that needs to go becuase you are correct. Most can't know every single file in every single sub-directory. That is the reason for removing those because if a mod manager messes up anything and leaves "stuff" it is usually a random loose file and those end up .. yep you guessed it.. in the loose files you have deleted. 

Capture.. delete the red, keep the green. This is a clean installed skyrim for example.

post-89432-0-14073600-1453160987_thumb.jpg

Below is an example of a cleaned folder with only those files that the game came with.

post-89432-0-58997500-1453161556_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned and Elf Prince is correct this is an advanced process for those that understand the files and folder structure. If there is any doubt uninstall the game. go to the folder manually delete any left over files and reinstall the game. Now you have a squeeky clean game to use NMM with. This is what is done to assure that MO works as intended with it's virtual folder system as well.

I believe your father started using MO.. :D. I think he liked it as well. :D.

Also make sure you manually enter the Common/Skyrim folder and manually delete everything if that hasn't been mentioned. (Elf Princes OP is MASSIVE,  very informative but MASSIVE :P)

Yes believe it or not.. every once in a while I delete my game and reinstall even though I use MO..

Yes he did. He learned a lot and he sometimes played Skyrim when wanted t play 2 different profiles. I like MO too, but don't use it so much, just as a school for learning what strategy competition plays and how manager works. :)

Yea, OP is massive and I was thinking about shrinking it to subcategories but then, I changed my mind because most of subject titles will be hidden and the user who is in need and frustrated wouldn't know where to search for the one(s) he needs. 

@ ritualclarity

Completely agree.

My point with my last post was that in a thread like this that is made and used by NMM users ("the click-and-play mod organizer") as a tutorial and troubleshooting source going above some level of complexity is more confusing and harming than helpful.

The people who will clean their games file by file do not use NMM and they don't have the problem we were talking about.

I want to add about the idea for using backups for recovering after the NMM update. Lets say you make a copy of your game, upgrade NMM and then delete the game and copy the folder back from the backup.

1. You need to be completely sure that while upgrading NMM will install all of the mods that are in the backup fully and mark them as active. Otherwise there will be "rogue" mods.

2. After the upgrade NMM expects the files in the actual game /data dir to be hardlinks. But they will be real actual files

3. Point 2 also means that now the space occupied by the game will be x2 (in my case with Skyrim for example it would be 100GB instead of 50) which is bad if you want to squeeze more on a small SSD drive.

4. When installing mods with options (SOS, CBBE...) NMM will select the first option in every choice. Initially this will not be a problem and a source of confusion, but after the mod is been deactivated and activated again for some reason, the change will be visible in the game (or cause conflicts and crashes) because NMM does not ask for options when activating mods.

The people who will clean their games file by file do not use NMM and they don't have the problem we were talking about.

You would be supprised that there are very experienced users that use NMM not only novices. ;).

I want to add about the idea for using backups for recovering after the NMM update. Lets say you make a copy of your game, upgrade NMM and then delete the game and copy the folder back from the backup.

My comment was only meant to deal with a clean install option for NMM. Not the complex setup of mods and files after modding for a time. I am not experienced in NMM setup and modding and the effects of the game files, mods etc. That I defer to you, Elf Prince and other experienced users. In this case I am the noob ;).

Changing skeleton type during the play game.

Another thing that NMM 0.61.5 did brilliantly.

While playing Skyrim today I decided to change my skeleton. Until now I had XP32 Maximum Skeleton - XPMS ver. 1.95. Wanted to install XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended - XPMSE 3.72. So, I left to isolated place, took off all armour and weapons, saved the game and exit. After careful reading of requirements and installation procedure made by Groovtama (All compliments for excellent OP and brilliant mod), I downloaded all required mods using NMM. After that I disabled and uninstalled present skeleton and ran FNIS. After installing all requirements, I installed new skeleton. When asked to overwrite SOS, I did and ran FNIS and LOOT.

I checked for "leftovers" in my data file and there was none. I loaded last save and the game ran normally without any problems. Played several battle and sex animations and the game wasn't crash or freeze.

Great work NMM team. You made me proud :)

New NMM 0.61.6 version is out:

Warning: This version requires .Net Framework 4.6 (If you're not using Windows 10, you can download it HERE )
Impact: Major
Type: New game support and many bugfixes

1. Added Dragon's Dogma game support.
  2. Fixed issue causing loose mod files or game files overwritten by mods to be lost while switching profiles.
  3. Fixed crash when clicking on empty elements of the Profiles menu.
  4. Fixed crash when adding elements to the mod install queue.
  5. Fixed Fallout 4 displayed name.
  6. Fixed issue preventing some mods from properly installing on Witcher 3 and Starbound.
  7. Fixed issue causing some properly packaged Witcher 3 mods to be flagged as not supported.
  8. Added new check to try and quickly retrieve game paths from Steam.

Download: my OP under NMM - downloads (Virus free rar and .exe installers): or you can go directly to Nexus: http://www.nexusmods...ds/modmanager/?

New NMM 0.61.6 version is out:

Warning: This version requires .Net Framework 4.6 (If you're not using Windows 10, you can download it HERE )

Impact: Major

Type: New game support and many bugfixes

1. Added Dragon's Dogma game support.
  2. Fixed issue causing loose mod files or game files overwritten by mods to be lost while switching profiles.
  3. Fixed crash when clicking on empty elements of the Profiles menu.
  4. Fixed crash when adding elements to the mod install queue.
  5. Fixed Fallout 4 displayed name.
  6. Fixed issue preventing some mods from properly installing on Witcher 3 and Starbound.
  7. Fixed issue causing some properly packaged Witcher 3 mods to be flagged as not supported.
  8. Added new check to try and quickly retrieve game paths from Steam.

Download: my OP under NMM - downloads (Virus free rar and .exe installers): or you can go directly to Nexus: http://www.nexusmods...ds/modmanager/?

I believe your link is bad...

However when installing the new version it prompts you at the end and gives you a proper link for download. It gives a small file that then updates the NET to the proper version.

However when installing the new version it prompts you at the end and gives you a proper link for download. It gives a small file that then updates the NET to the proper version.

Thanks for letting me know but it's not my link that is bad but MSN server. Sometimes need to click on it 2-3 times. :)

Thanks for letting me know but it's not my link that is bad but MSN server. Sometimes need to click on it 2-3 times. :)

Oh.. well at least I tried. :)

Anyway the developers of NMM have set it up to prompt those that need the upgraded NET and to get it. Nice and convenient.

Test confirmation of NMM 0.61.6:

1. upgrading 0.61.5 version to 0.61.6 went flawless

2. uninstallation and re-installation of all mods went flawless although it's still slow on large size mods.

3. co-working with FNIS, LOOT and Wrye bash is flawless

4. all SexLab mods installation went flawless.

5. Switching between multiple characters and unistallation/installation of some mods in both characters went flawless.

2. uninstallation and re-installation of all mods went flawless although it's still slow on large size mods.

I assume this is for Skyrim... Which mods are "large" for example that went slowly.

Also going slowly is perfectly fine to me so long as it does work properly with installation and removal.

5. Switching between multiple characters and unistallation/installation of some mods in both characters went flawless.

This is a noob question for NMM. This explanation got me confused so I will ask :). With profiles you have (multiple characters) and the uninstall of mods.. does this mean that the mods installed under those profiles are separate? (or can be?) If so that is one feature that isn't present on MO. You have to create a different installed mod for this and check that in the profile of choice.

Just gathering notes on differences between the two mods.

I assume this is for Skyrim... Which mods are "large" for example that went slowly.

Also going slowly is perfectly fine to me so long as it does work properly with installation and removal.

This is a noob question for NMM. This explanation got me confused so I will ask :). With profiles you have (multiple characters) and the uninstall of mods.. does this mean that the mods installed under those profiles are separate? (or can be?) If so that is one feature that isn't present on MO. You have to create a different installed mod for this and check that in the profile of choice.

Just gathering notes on differences between the two mods.

2. Yeap, it's Skyrim. I quit playing FO4 some time ago so I do not know how it behaves for that game.

Large mods long time installation: SexLab, Apachii hairs, and all that are above 80 MB in size

5. Yea. Actually I have 3 profiles but did testing in two profiles: How I did it you can read in this post:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/52647-nmm-061-important-infos-help-tips-tricks/?p=1437601

You can install certain mod in one profile and NMM install it in all profiles, but if you don't want that mod in other profiles, you just open wanted profile and choose "Uninstall from active profile". It's important to do it before you want to play the game without unwanted mod in your profile. Otherwise, when you uninstall that mod later from the profile where you didn't want to have it, and when you load that profile, the game will report "missing mod" and you'll have to do a clean save later.

post-894077-0-88781200-1453347468_thumb.png

I do can, so i don't know what might be the problem in your case. Try to change your password. Some time ago i red that Nexus is trying to "force" all members to change their password. I did changed my password a while ago and have no problem on logging on Nexus.

This is what bben46, the moderator said about this issue: " The site works for tens of thousands of people. There is no fix because the problem cannot be duplicated by us. wallbash.gif
The fix described here is only for those who can sign in on all of the other Nexus sites, but only not on the NMM. If you have a problem with the other parts of the site, then this is not your problem.

The cause of this bug is the NMM part uses an entirely different password program. One that does not recognize a lot of special characters. It will not allow any character not a number or letter from the English only character set - No dash, underscore, space or any accented letters. If you are using a non English keyboard the key code may be different - I don't know if it is or not.

My own password - that does work is 11 characters, starts with an uppercase - the rest are lower, and has an embedded number. It is not a dictionary word, but a pair of unrelated non words that have meaning to me and would be nonsense to anyone else.

If anyone finds something that works, let us know what you did. We don't want to know your password, but a description similar to mine may help someone else. thumbsup.gif"

Hello, Elf Prince :) 
And 'composed of letters and numbers, you begin with a capital letter and ends with numbers, nothing strange characters.

I'll try to change the password.

Edit:Um ... I was I type the wrong password. :-/

I could not remember that I had changed recently. :P