NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

New NMM 0.61.7 version is out:

Version 0.61.7 Warning: This version requires .Net Framework 4.6 (If you're not using Windows 10, you can download it HERE )

Impact: Minor
Type: Hotfix
  1. Fixed issue causing the plugins.txt file to be updated very slowly when enabling/disabling multiple plugins.
  2. NMM will now properly install Witcher 3 mods meant to be installed in the DLC folder.
  3. Fixed Witcher 3 mods installation/uninstallation issues (installing in the wrong folder or leaving files behind).
  4. Fixed issue causing NMM to rename a Witcher 3 mod folder's name.
  5. Fixed unsupported mod structure warning to always reference Dragon's Dogma.

Skyrim users can only benefit from the fix in topic one. If you don't mind slow enabling/disabling multiple plugins, you don't need to upgrade you manager to this version .

Download: my OP under NMM - downloads (Virus free rar and .exe installers): or you can go directly to Nexus: http://www.nexusmods...ds/modmanager/?

Test confirmation of NMM 0.61.6:

1. upgrading 0.61.5 version to 0.61.6 went flawless

2. uninstallation and re-installation of all mods went flawless although it's still slow on large size mods.

Does it reinstall all your mods when you upgrade to 0.61.6 from another 0.61 version?

Test confirmation of NMM 0.61.6:

1. upgrading 0.61.5 version to 0.61.6 went flawless

2. uninstallation and re-installation of all mods went flawless although it's still slow on large size mods.

Does it reinstall all your mods when you upgrade to 0.61.6 from another 0.61 version?

Yes, but reinstallation of the mods are not automated like uninstallation (all in one). You have to install them one by one unless you reinstall NMM. In that case, NMM install all mods automatically which is "sword with two blades". It's not 100% accurate, so I'm doing it manually (which I prefer)

o_0

0_0

But why.... 

How much does it take you to inslall back everything? I imagine it will be at lest 4-5 hours for me.

I always uninstall and reinstall all mods with every new upgrade. It takes me about an hour +/- but I dont have much much mods. The top number is 150 mods. Only large size mods takes a lot of time. For instance. I got new mother board and processor today. So I have to reinstall Skyrim. The whole process (Game plus mods) take me about 2 hours +/--

o_0

0_0

But why.... 

How much does it take you to inslall back everything? I imagine it will be at lest 4-5 hours for me.

I always uninstall and reinstall all mods with every new upgrade. It takes me about an hour +/- but I dont have much much mods. The top number is 150 mods. Only large size mods takes a lot of time. For instance. I got new mother board and processor today. So I have to reinstall Skyrim. The whole process (Game plus mods) take me about 2 hours +/--

I'm confused... Do you choose to reinstall your moods or does NMM force you the way it did with the first 0.61 update. 

I'm confused... Do you choose to reinstall your moods or does NMM force you the way it did with the first 0.61 update. 

I choose to reinstall the mods because I want to report to users what is happening with the latest version and does it do its job good or bad.

Cool :-)

I think you need to specify that because your earlier posts made me decide to never ever upgrade NMM again.

thanks... I did  in some earlier posts and did it few times :)

But my English is not so good so maybe you misunderstood me. My fault and my apologies.

I just tested 0.61.7 version.

Uninstallation of multiple mods is 3 times slower indeed, as they "promised" :)  Therefore, my suggestion to not to install this version stands. DON'T!!

Elf Prince is doing it correctly from my experience. When upgrading FOMM or NMM etc it is better to uninstall the mods then go back and reinstall them. It shouldn't take much time because they are already there if stored in the mod files. This way YOU ARE THE ONE THAT DETERMINES TH E ORDER OF INSTALLATION AND WHAT IS OVERRIDING WHAT. Any other way you might get things out of order. Not a real problem you can just reinstall the needed mods over those other mods and get the files just right. No real harm however the difference is going into the game with confidence that all is good or going into the game, realizing something is wrong (a wrong texture is showing) and leaving the mod and opening your manager and looking through and making the needed changes. Then go back into the game and play until you find something else wrong order. ;). Even MO if you don't pay attention will place your mods out of order if you aren't careful. (upgrade and not have the MOD.txt file properly installed). Happened to me. When I did use NMM this happened a few times as well. Same with FOMM. I do what Elf Prince does (then and now with Fallout 4) to be sure everything is "just right".

Just because you "can do something" don't mean you should.. conversely.. Just because you "don't have to do something" don't mean you shouldn't.

Bottom line if it aint broke don't fix it.. :D. However keep in mind in case something looks weird or has the wrong texture or you have wrong mesh etc that it is likely the files got mixed up.. Again easy fix with NMM. (At least it use to be :P)

Thank you ritual. :)

A new bugs is discovered in NMM 0.61.7 - FULL INSTALLATION (upgrading is fine)

1. textures issue

Although all my mods were uninstalled (grayed) before I reinstalled Skyrim, When installing UNP body NMM asked me if I want to overwrite TOP MODEL mod that wasn't even installed and active, but NMM saw it as installed. NMM still have a problem with textures mods. Can't clearyl define them and read them. Although, this wasn't happening in previous 0.61.+ versions.

- The manager had a big issues with installing ydra's slavegirls 827 textures. It took very long time to install it. Almost 5 times longer then previous version.

2. Login on Nexus issue

Althugh I'm logged in on Nexus and NMM will not start if I'm not logged in, it required me to log in when wanted to download certain mod. I do not know if it is a Nexus's site error or NMM's but it's a bug

3. It has a problem with installation of FOMODS. I succesfully installed More nasty critters after third attempt and restarting NMM.

4. SexLab framework and most of the SexLab mods were installed and activated but NMM report them as missing.

5. Often Crashing during installation/uninstallation of the mods.

Edit: I found the source of the problem for this bugs. During the installation of NMM manager it didn't placed Virtuallinstall and the mods as it was told but proceeded as it was set by default. So, because of that I had to uninstall and reinstall all the mods. If you decide to upgrade to this version you should be fine, but if you install manager from the beginning, please, make sure that NMM places the mods as you tell it. :)

PLEASE, BE VERY CAREFULL WHEN INSTALLING THIS VERSION: VEEEEERY BUGGY!!!

No, ritual my friend. No need to upgrade for Skyrim. But the other patches for other games like Witcher 3 and Fo4 and some other games, this version is good.

The good thing in this little mess with this version is that they really fixed txt files. Compliments for that.

Elf Prince is doing it correctly from my experience. When upgrading FOMM or NMM etc it is better to uninstall the mods then go back and reinstall them. It shouldn't take much time because they are already there if stored in the mod files. This way YOU ARE THE ONE THAT DETERMINES TH E ORDER OF INSTALLATION AND WHAT IS OVERRIDING WHAT. Any other way you might get things out of order. Not a real problem you can just reinstall the needed mods over those other mods and get the files just right. No real harm however the difference is going into the game with confidence that all is good or going into the game, realizing something is wrong (a wrong texture is showing) and leaving the mod and opening your manager and looking through and making the needed changes. Then go back into the game and play until you find something else wrong order. ;). Even MO if you don't pay attention will place your mods out of order if you aren't careful. (upgrade and not have the MOD.txt file properly installed). Happened to me. When I did use NMM this happened a few times as well. Same with FOMM. I do what Elf Prince does (then and now with Fallout 4) to be sure everything is "just right".

Just because you "can do something" don't mean you should.. conversely.. Just because you "don't have to do something" don't mean you shouldn't.

Bottom line if it aint broke don't fix it.. :D. However keep in mind in case something looks weird or has the wrong texture or you have wrong mesh etc that it is likely the files got mixed up.. Again easy fix with NMM. (At least it use to be :P)

Lets see... NMM says I have 232 active mods out of 313 installed mods (I don't even understand what it thinks the difference between those is). I also have modifications in meshes and textures I did myself (making the revealing outfits even more revealing :-)) They are not part of any mod installed via NMM so they will be lost.

The LAST thing most of the people here want is to be forced to reinstall mods and forfeit their current setup. 

What you are saying is basically that every single time there is a Windows update I need to delete all the files from my hard drives and try to redownload them again. This is madness...

All of the latest NMM updates are related to FO4 and the dragon dogma game (if I recall correctly). I don't have them. Yet you tell me that every 5 days I need to spend tens of hours reinstalling mods for no real reason?? 

NMM now is slow. Really really really slow. I used to have 3DNPC installed earlier (before the 0.61 NMM). After the forced bugged mod-reinstall NMM raped me with I don't have it anymore. I waited for 40 minutes for it to install, then I got annoyed and force-closed NMM and then everything was broken so I had to start all over again. And now I don't even dare thinking about installing 3DNPC again.

NMM committed crimes on multiple levels with the 0.61 update and the fact that they refuse to understand that is even more worrying. 

Who said anything about Windows? I sure didn't. ;).

Also nobody is telling you that you HAVE TO REINSTALL.. just many do this very thing because of the possibility there could be a problem. Takes a short time to be sure everything is the way it should be. I even mentioned a way to be confident if there was a problem.. just leave the game and reinstall the mods in proper order and start the game over again. Just to be clear.. only those mods with assets that are effected or wrong.. If there isn't any you are good to go. No problems.

Developing a mod manager is quite complex and while they are trying to expand to cover almost any game that Nexus supports this will be cause for glitches, much like the texture bug that Elf Prince mentioned. Uninstalling/Reinstalling your mods in proper order when you do upgrade is a way to negate many issues that can happen. Helps keep you safe and only takes a little bit of time vs the average player trying to figure out which mod had which texture/mesh or script that screwed up.. ;).

Lets see... NMM says I have 232 active mods out of 313 installed mods (I don't even understand what it thinks the difference between those is). I also have modifications in meshes and textures I did myself (making the revealing outfits even more revealing :-)) They are not part of any mod installed via NMM so they will be lost.

There are many issues with that statement. It show that you don't fully understand the modding process and how to really fully use any mod manager to its best benefit. I will not go into details because this is a NMM thread not a mod how to.. I do however advise you to look over some basic mod manager videos and get a stronger grasp on the process (behind the scenes) so that you will have less stress and problems when you run into any problems.

This is just advise.. take it or leave it. Lets keep in mind if you aren't using the games mentioned that have the development for you don't really have to upgrade with each version of NMM.. You get a nice stable version and your mods "just right" keep it for awhile until a feature comes along that you do need or want then upgrade. I for one once I get the feel for NMM and get Fallout 4 pretty much setup the way I want.. I won't be upgrading unless I learn there are some features or bug fixes that will do me a great deal of good... and even then... not before I finish my main core play though ;) Hell I don't even upgrade MO for my other games in-between major game plays. Now that I think of it, I don't think I ever upgraded my game manager in the middle of a game play.

Now for my NMM contribution:P

I put several dozen mods into the nearest newest NMM for Fallout 4. Too about 2 hours to download and install (the selection of mods) . Uninstalled all of them and reinstalled them all again in about 20 minutes. (more than likely less than that) Wasn't a difficult thing. I was testing it out and have to say it was quicker than I expected. I will still use MO for the other games but need to have something for Fallout 4 that works well and is supported by the mod artist in case I run into some issues and have a question. It is quite simple program but it benefits the users to understand the basics of modding. Shame it slows down with >80mb files and has issues with textures on some versions being installed properly. I also like the central repository of files (mods) you install and work with.

No, ritual my friend. No need to upgrade for Skyrim. But the other patches for other games like Witcher 3 and Fo4 and some other games, this version is good.

The good thing in this little mess with this version is that they really fixed txt files. Compliments for that.

So I am advised to move to this version for FO4 (I am only using NMM for that).

Ritual:

Yes.... It looks like ttey doing great job for FO4. But not good for Skyrim in this version.

Ritual:

Yes.... It looks like ttey doing great job for FO4. But not good for Skyrim in this version.

Give it some time It appears that they are cranking out version and bug fixes at a record rate. It should be only a matter of a bit of time to get the new issues with Skyirm fixed. I am currently downloading the new version. Will see if I can set this up a way that I like. That is the problem with so many choices.. lol. I have a hard time choosing.

On a side note.. I know this isn't exactly something to ask here but is there a way to turn off NMM for selected games. It starts and finds all the games.. that's cool but I am afraid it will try to hijack my NMM links for other games.. not a big deal I can work around that but it would be nice to have someplace in NMM where you can turn that feature off.

Also I believe you have the way to backup your downloaded / mods etc (needed for restore) in the OP Correct? Got to check that out. I like having backups for my downloads and mod installs. (do the same for MO as well :)).

Give it some time It appears that they are cranking out version and bug fixes at a record rate. It should be only a matter of a bit of time to get the new issues with Skyirm fixed. I am currently downloading the new version. Will see if I can set this up a way that I like. That is the problem with so many choices.. lol. I have a hard time choosing.

On a side note.. I know this isn't exactly something to ask here but is there a way to turn off NMM for selected games. It starts and finds all the games.. that's cool but I am afraid it will try to hijack my NMM links for other games.. not a big deal I can work around that but it would be nice to have someplace in NMM where you can turn that feature off.

Also I believe you have the way to backup your downloaded / mods etc (needed for restore) in the OP Correct? Got to check that out. I like having backups for my downloads and mod installs. (do the same for MO as well :)).

I'm admiring to those guys actually. They implemented about 30 +/- various games into one mod manager. And for free!!! Woow. To do something like that  you have to be very smart. It's not easy to make it works for all of them. I'm not criticizing them. It is a huge job and they have my respect regardless many bugs in the last version. :)

Yes, tip for doing backup is on my OP.

You see, I could also use my backup from 0.61.6 version, but since I took this "job" I'm walking on harder and longer way. :) I know my English sucks but testing NMM and offering support and help is least I can do for LL members. I love this community a lot and I'm grateful for marvelous mods I have a pleasure to play.

Well, if my example with the Windows update was so hard to understand I doubt anything else I can say will be understood correctly.

So let's assume I don't "fully understand the modding process and how to really fully use any mod manager to its best benefit."

And let's assume we don't care how insulting it is to point such statements to people we know nothing about and without even trying to understand their point of view.

And let's pretend we are blind to one of the biggest product suicides internet has ever seen.

P.S. I did not realize this is an NMM worship topic. I'm sorry to have intruded on it. Wont happen again. 

Well, if my example with the Windows update was so hard to understand I doubt anything else I can say will be understood correctly.

I understood your attempts at being clever with the example you gave. I just choose to ignore it. This thread has many non-native English (Including the OP Elf Prince) speakers and examples like that can only serve to confuse many of them. If you haven't noticed... most of the time I am speaking very plainly and directly so that everyone has the best opportunity to understand what is going on to the best of my ability.

So let's assume I don't "fully understand the modding process and how to really fully use any mod manager to its best benefit."

There is no assumption. Your statement:

Is very clear on that matter.

And let's assume we don't care how insulting it is to point such statements to people we know nothing about and without even trying to understand their point of view.

No insult was intended. It was advised that you learn abit more because your previous statements (above) and your evident severe frustration on the entire process (which is not necessary) indicates you would benefit for more deep understanding of the process so that you can make the most out of the modding experience. There were several alternate suggestions given to help you make a choice you wanted to make relating to your use of NMM and even how to resolve some of the issues that might occur. You can upgrade without the installation / re-installation process and possibly it would work well for you, If it don't you have a solution given.

And let's pretend we are blind to one of the biggest product suicides internet has ever seen.

Now that is just being way over dramatic, way, way over dramatic.. Much like several of your previous post. Chicken little never took the time to see that the sky wasn't falling it was just part of the ceiling. I am (and I suppose Elf Prince and others are) posting clear experiences with actual warnings and their results. Detailed info needed for people to make an informed judgment not running around yelling the sky is falling (yes I am making an extreme example here .. :P)

P.S. I did not realize this is an NMM worship topic. I'm sorry to have intruded on it. Wont happen again.

Again.. you are wrong, at least in my opinion.  This isn't a "worship topic" If it was, there wouldn't be any comments about the faults and their issues. Elf Prince wouldn't be telling people not to download this most current version because it can mess up your Skyrim install.  Also several comments of my use of MO for my other mods is mentioned and no condemnation was given. I am here to help out and get some needed updated info on the new NMM for my fallout 4 use because MO isn't' working for me in Fallout 4.

A worship page wouldn't allow any of that. A worship page would find no fault in anything NMM did or does regardless of the effect.

That being said. By all means stay and get the info you need.

prinyo - In behalf of ritualclarity I can say that he is one among others who is very helpful person. And I'm not saying this because he is my friend but because it's true. I red many of his posts and he was always friendly and supportive. I'm sure that he wasn't hostile toward you. I think you misunderstood his post. Knowing him he didn't attack you at all. I'm sorry for this misunderstanding between you two.

About NMM 0.61.7

This is the first time that any version of NMM starting from 0.60.+ screwed up my mods installation. Because of that, I was forced to retrieve to 0.61.6 version and apply my backup. So, my advice is not to install it as a full version but you can install it as an upgrade.

Yep, I was overdramatic at some point :-( I work in the software industry and I'm following it closely for about 15 years now and I know how easy it is to alienate clients and lose the trust of the users.
The Windows update example was quite simple - you don't need to redownload all files on your PC (reinstalling applications would have been more accurate) when there is some update the same way you don't need to reinstall your Skyrim mods when there is a NMM update focused on FO4 and other games.

The reason that I (and lots of other people judging from forum posts I've red) have "loose" modifications is not technical. It is mostly a question of organization and mindset. If you are in a process of creating modifications in a systematic manner then you collect everything you make in order to create the needed archive at the end.
But if you are changing things as you go - something today, other thing 3 days later and so on and you are not an organized and methodical person, then you keep saying to yourself that "someday soon" you need to  collect those changes an put them in an archive. But this day never actually comes.
I probably don't use the full potential of the modding tools as I don't use the full potential of any software and service. I use them in a way that is convenient to me. And that's what most people do.
My overreaction was because, when it comes to the 0.61 NMM update, I've seen too many times people are told that they are too stupid to understand what  was done and why.

I appreciate a lot what Elf Prince does with this thread. My original point was simply to help - with the idea that it would be good if there is a clear marker when the things he does while upgrading are part of the upgrading process that everyone will experience or done by choice. 

Yep, I was overdramatic at some point :-( I work in the software industry and I'm following it closely for about 15 years now and I know how easy it is to alienate clients and lose the trust of the users.

The Windows update example was quite simple - you don't need to redownload all files on your PC (reinstalling applications would have been more accurate) when there is some update the same way you don't need to reinstall your Skyrim mods when there is a NMM update focused on FO4 and other games.

The reason that I (and lots of other people judging from forum posts I've red) have "loose" modifications is not technical. It is mostly a question of organization and mindset. If you are in a process of creating modifications in a systematic manner then you collect everything you make in order to create the needed archive at the end.

But if you are changing things as you go - something today, other thing 3 days later and so on and you are not an organized and methodical person, then you keep saying to yourself that "someday soon" you need to  collect those changes an put them in an archive. But this day never actually comes.

I probably don't use the full potential of the modding tools as I don't use the full potential of any software and service. I use them in a way that is convenient to me. And that's what most people do.

My overreaction was because, when it comes to the 0.61 NMM update, I've seen too many times people are told that they are too stupid to understand what  was done and why.

I appreciate a lot what Elf Prince does with this thread. My original point was simply to help - with the idea that it would be good if there is a clear marker when the things he does while upgrading are part of the upgrading process that everyone will experience or done by choice. 

No problem at all. I can understand your frustrations. I really do. I know your weren't mean or similar,  you just tried to understand what is going on with NMM and thanks to my incompetence you didn't get adequate answer. Sorry for that.

I also wish that I can do a better job in this matter. I'm trying hard. The biggest barrier in this is my English. It giving me troubles sometimes in understanding of the certain issue or question or statement and sometimes, when understanding in, I have a problem how to say properly what I want to say although I know the answer. But, again, I'm trying. I'm learning, I'm truly giving my best to make this thread better and more quality. That's why I constantly searching for NMM sites, advises, suggestions tips and similar. I also testing NMM a lot by "playing" with many options so I can tell people what to do or what not to do. I promise, I will do much better. I just need some more time. :)

In the settings for NMM there is a check box to have the ESM files show up in bold print, but it has always been greyed out.  I've never been able to figure out how to change it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If the mod is in bold letters and grayed it means that NMM couldn't merge that mod and therefor it couldn't install it too. You should run LOOT or/and Tes5edit or Wryebash. LOOT will tell you if this mod needs cleaning and possible required mod that is missing, Tes5edit will show you the errors and incompatibility with other mods and Wrye bash will tell you what other mod is missing for merging.