NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

Thank you for your report Slorm. I really appreciate it. I also can confirm that after upgrading to 0-61.5 version, unistallation and reinstallation of the mods went flawless. :)

I'm trying to find a fix for Deviously Helpless so that it will work with SL1.61 so was looking at it in the Creation Kit.

The question is, if I then edit a mod in CK what am I actually editing as the mod itself is in the virtual folder not in /data. Will it just overwrite the link or update the version in the virtual folder (hope that makes sense)

Slorm - if you don't change original code of the mod like installation instructions (although I'm not familiar with CK) NMM should overwrite existing version.

@ @Elf Prince

I like how detailed your OP is for NMM. Very well maintained as well. I have as you well know many tutorials and useful links in my sig for easy finding in the future for anyone (makes it easy to reference the link as well when giving help ;). ) Wonder if you'd mind if I linked to your thread? I assume you intend on keeping this up in the coming months right?

MO is better..

LOL just kidding :P

The best mod manager is the one that works for you ;)

@ @Elf Prince

I like how detailed your OP is for NMM. Very well maintained as well. I have as you well know many tutorials and useful links in my sig for easy finding in the future for anyone (makes it easy to reference the link as well when giving help ;). ) Wonder if you'd mind if I linked to your thread? I assume you intend on keeping this up in the coming months right?

MO is better..

LOL just kidding :P

The best mod manager is the one that works for you ;)

Wow, coming from you, the person whom I really respect a lot, it if a great compliment for me. :) Sure, you can add it if want. And thank you.

Already done and has it own entry, you can check it out if you want.. :D. I however for the most part will have to defer to your expertise and those that follow this thread as I haven't used NMM for years. However it is nice to have someplace to send people to other than Nexus for support, especially when it usually concerns our mods here.

Keep up the great work.

PS. If I can't get MO2 to work for me for Fallout 4 I might just have to start using NMM again...lol ;).

Already done and has it own entry, you can check it out if you want.. :D. I however for the most part will have to defer to your expertise and those that follow this thread as I haven't used NMM for years. However it is nice to have someplace to send people to other than Nexus for support, especially when it usually concerns our mods here.

Keep up the great work.

PS. If I can't get MO2 to work for me for Fallout 4 I might just have to start using NMM again...lol ;).

Thanks my friend.

LOL - of course, it will be a pleasure to have you in our team. :) we provide much better support for MO4 the MO ;):P

I just wish that my English on OP will be corrected. CPU promised that he will do it but he is preoccupied with a lo of stuff and working on his mods so I can't blame him for not having a time to do that.

My link looks good in your sig. Thanks again.

I wouldn't say I was part of your "team" as I don't know anything about NMM more like I might need your "team's" service for FO4 if I can't get MO2 to work for me.. :P However nothing stopping me from spreading the word of your thread for those that need its assistance.

Also you English is quite good. On part with many native speakers. Sometimes I think you get what being said confused though. That will just take practice.

I wouldn't say I was part of your "team" as I don't know anything about NMM more like I might need your "team's" service for FO4 if I can't get MO2 to work for me.. :P However nothing stopping me from spreading the word of your thread for those that need its assistance.

Also you English is quite good. On part with many native speakers. Sometimes I think you get what being said confused though. That will just take practice.

Hahahaahaa -I was just easing you about being a member of NMM team. But I would gladly help you if you'd need a help and if I know he answer. :)

thanks for complimenting my English and you've right. Sometimes I have a problem with understanding certain sayings or sentence formulations and  because of that misinterpreting them and give a wrong answer or a comment. Well, I'm learning. :)

I re-installed version 0.56.1 ... still CTD ...  :-/  :(

Log:

[09/19/2015 - 05:24:22PM] Papyrus log opened (PC)
[09/19/2015 - 05:24:22PM] Function GetEffectMagnitudes in the empty state on type Ingredient does not exist. Function will not be flagged as callable from tasklets.
[09/19/2015 - 05:24:22PM] Update budget: 1.200000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 500.000000ms)
[09/19/2015 - 05:24:22PM] Memory page: 128 (min) 512 (max) 76800 (max total)

on new version (0.61.5) or old (0.56.1)?

On the one you have installed. I'm sure that you know that downgrading your programs (NMM in this case) doesn't always do good to your (present) game. If downgrading programs is necessary, it is always good to start a new game. :)

my question is do you have enboost and the skse memory patch ini installed as looking at the log you posted suggests that you dont have either of them installed

Slorm - if you don't change original code of the mod like installation instructions (although I'm not familiar with CK) NMM should overwrite existing version.

Thanks Elf Prince, I think it may need testing as it's where CK ends up saving which is the issue, I don't know enough about symbolic links unfortunately.

When I have a moment I'll maybe try editing a mod and see what happens, if the timestamp in the virtual folder changes then it should be okay

I haven't tested this yet but I have asked over at Nexus. Apparently if the edit deletes the file and creates it anew then it will overwrite the symbolic link. The implication being that if it's just a change to an existing file then the virtual folder should be updated.

I'm going to have to test this to be sure though. I think that CK updates the timestamp (I know TESV doesn't but I think CK does) if that's the case if I edit a mod and save then the timestamp in the virtual folder should change as well as in /data.

I'll let you know what happens

The above information I was given is incorrect.

I have a very simple mod I wrote to rebalance the difficulty settings for novice, adept etc. which I used to test this on. The current incoming damage for legendary is currently set to 3, the mod consists of a single esp.

Testing Methodology:

1/ Loaded mod into CK

2/ Changed fdiffmulthptopcl from 3 to 5.5

3/ Saved mod

4/ Checked timestamp, in /data 12/01/2016 in virtual folder 04/12/2015

5/ Started Skrim and checked fdiffmulthptopcl which returned 5.5

6/ Exited and started NMM

7/ Disabled mod

8/ Re-enabled mod

9/ Checked timestamp both /data and virtual folder report 04/12/2015

10/ Started Skyrim and checked fdiffmulthptopcl which returned 3.0

It seems pretty conclusive to me that any save from CK will overwrite the symbolic links and I can see no reason to assume it would be different for scripts etc. as well. Interestingly, the symbolic link will happily overwrite the actual esp file as well.

I don't think it's particularly a problem and it could be viewed as an advantage as you cannot accidentally overwrite your mod. On the other hand it could cause a problem for anyone that is editing vanilla skyrim files as it would make actual changes to the /data folder as it would have done before.

So not really an issue just something to be aware of as it could cause some confusion

Two new features in NMM 0.61.+ (5):

1. When installing a new mod, right click on it and you'll see a new option: Install and activate. This feature is very handy because you don't have to check/do enable the mod in Plugins by yourself, since it does it for you. When activating, you'll see that your mod isn't grayed any more and small green arrow appears on the front of it showing that the mod is activated. I tested this feature in several mods and it works.

post-894077-0-04383800-1452799730_thumb.png

2. When uninstalling mods, you have an extra option - Delete zip/rar file permanently. This feature is also handy because it saves space on your HDD when you're sure you'll not need this mod any more and when you just installed the new version (upgrade) of your existing mod. See the pictures (to bring the second menu up, you have to right click on the desired mod):

post-894077-0-12686200-1452799963_thumb.png

Then you'll see a new box with warning in which you have to chose "Yes" or "No".

post-894077-0-56999100-1452800032_thumb.png

Just to add to 0.61.5, this also needs .Net Framework 4.6. There's a link for Vista, Win7 and Win8.1 users.

When I first installed it there were only 3 security upgrades. I had to do a restore due to some problem MS patches from patch Tuesday but now there are 5 security patches and if you apply all of them before updating NMM 0.61.4 to 0.61.5 you get an unhandled exception error for the splash screen. If you hit continue then the download continues as normal and it installs correctly, so it's safe to ignore.

MS have been busy breaking stuff again this month, if you've already patched you can check by running /sfc scannow from a command screen to check your system files are okay.

Thanks for the info Slorm.

Yes, Microsoft has NF 4.6 a link for Vista and all other OS's on their official page. I'm still using Win 7 Professional and it works like a charm.

About patches: I'm very selective which patches I'm using for my OS. I tuned my "Automatic updates on: "Show me me the updates but let me choose which one to install". Learned my lesson on harder way. :)

Therefore I have had no problems at all with any NMM upgrade so far. If some NMM users have similar issues as you described they can look for the solution to their problem on the OP under: Answers to various NMM problems.

One hour ago I uninstalled all my mods (140) and then reinstall them. Had no problem at all in both operations. NMM did its job well.

The only thing that bothered me was slow de-installation/installation of large mods (over 80 MB). Everything else went flawless. I'm more and more thrilled with NMM. :)

I have to admit that I'm 2 versions behind (I think .13) as I still have a PUTSD (post-upgrade traumatic stress disorder) from the tens of hours spent to recover from the damages done by installing the first .06 version and I panic every time it shows an upgrade popup. And read extremely carefully what it says to be sure that they haven't again reinvented what the words No and Cancel mean in English. But judging from the changelog entries they still haven't addresses the main problem NMM has in order to make the profiles actually usable. 

And that is the crash while changing the status of a bigger group of mods. I tried to use it in order to switch between SAM and SOS but the crashes made me abandon the idea. The problem is that because of the way it marks the mods, when it crashes in the middle of the profile switch you don't really know what has already been handled and what not. And this means several more hours of reinstalling mods.

Also even if it does not crash while switching profiles it tends to leave mods active while they should not be or to not fully remove the mods it disables (again while switching profiles). 

I see they plan to release an UI updated version at some point soon and the UI updates generally rarely go without harming the usability at least before several updates are released after that. So I'm planning to stay at the version I currently have at least until the third update after the UI change or if they fix the profile switching stability before changing the interface.

prinyo - I agree with you that NMM can give a "headache" :)  It does have a problem with some mods but most of he time, there is a possibility to "get around" such problems. One only need to be persistent and patient to make it work. I remember the time when I had a problem with NMM and SOS mod in 0.60.+ version. But those times are gone. On the other hand, NMM is still in Beta faze. So I had to choose, should I "suffer" some minor issues or transfer to mod and struggle with installation with almost every mod and loosing triple time to learn it.

As for "leftovers" after de-installation of mods in multiple profiles. I only can say that it is true. Multiple profiles is still weak spot in NMM, but the guys are learning their job and I believe they will succeed by the time. I have only 3 profiles and so far haven't had bigger problems. The true is that some mods leave their traces in some profile after unistallation and I'm solving it on this way (it may not be best solution but it's less frustrating). I have three main profiles that I treat as "masters". I know exactly what I want and do not want to install on them. So, here is example: I have one profile with "basic" mods (armour, textures, weapons and similar and SexLab). I call it Basic.  On the second one, I have mods related to creatures (call it Creatures) and on the third one, I have mods with RCOTS (call it RCOTS). So, I made a copy of each of them and called them: Basic 1, Creatures1 and RCOTS1. So whenever I install any new mod I install it on the copies, not on "masters". if anything goes wrong in any of them I just delete their copy. In that case, I don't have to do reinstallatin of all mods.