[CK2] Static Portrait Replacer ver. 4.00 [CKII 2.7.1+ Compatible]

I have currently a problem with AGOT 1.6 and the static portrait, where artifacts which occupy the portraits crown slot override any static portrait the character might have.

Daenerys is a perfect example

First picture is with the crown unequiped and the portrait as it should be.

Second picture is with the crown equiped and the static portrait gone.

Is there a way to make that compatible or to make static portraits dominant or disable artifacts showing on portraits at all?01.thumb.PNG.8ecee8ef205d9054b38e8f14d9d06f9d.PNG

02.thumb.PNG.66fe62328c78efe6734e4d6aecf8630e.PNG

On 12/7/2017 at 2:48 PM, Yukinohki said:

I have currently a problem with AGOT 1.6 and the static portrait, where artifacts which occupy the portraits crown slot override any static portrait the character might have.

Is there a way to make that compatible or to make static portraits dominant or disable artifacts showing on portraits at all?

I haven't updated the mod yet for version 1.6 of AGoT. That's very helpful you shared that though, as I wasn't aware it broke this part of the coding.

I'll keep you informed.

On 11/5/2017 at 5:38 PM, gh4024 said:

"5.) Your images must be circles, otherwise, the edges of your pictures will bleed outside the borders of characters. My Photoshop template will help you in this regard. If you can't open my Photoshop template file, instead, open one of my .dds files and download the following image for the portrait circles. Overlap it on top of your portraits. Make sure it overlaps perfectly.
http://www.mediafire... portraits).png"

I'm having problems just in this part of the circle images. I'm not very good with photoshop, and whenever I merge the layers, the transparent background disappears

Could you update this link? maybe it helps

Sorry for the late response. Try the below link. You'll find a few files that might be useful in crafting your own .dds image files:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/z4qqmaub74jijrp/src_art_%28do_not_install%29.zip

Since you're using Photoshop, you should be able to open the included template psd file. If so, just take square images and set the layering so they're behind the black circles. Let me know if you have any further questions.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, Abominus said:

I am really interested in using your mod. If I want do create a character by event or decision, how do I swap one of the custom portraits onto the new character?

Can be used in decision and event. You'll just have to add your own portrait into the dds image and add said trait as shown in example below. If you want to use it on a already created character, scope a decision/event to the desired character, and use add_trait = portrait521 just like using console commands.

create_character = {
    random_traits = no
    name = "Elmer Fudd"
    dynasty = 1
    female = yes
    culture = modern
    religion = agnostic
    age = 167
    attributes = {
     martial = -18
     diplomacy = 10
     stewardship = 10
     intrigue = 10
     learning = 10
    }
    trait = inbred
    trait = imbecile
    trait = cruel
    trait = possessed
    trait = lunatic
    trait = portrait521
   }
   new_character = {
    set_character_flag = rabbit_lover

On 1/3/2018 at 4:17 PM, chrispunk2 said:

can you make a step by step to how install this mod...i can't get it to work

It's the same as every mod basically. Are you saying you're a complete beginner to CKII modding, or is there a technical issue you're having that's causing it not to work? The easiest thing might be to just subscribe to a random mod on Steam and that will create the folder structure you need to give you an example of how to install my mod as well.

On 12/28/2017 at 5:55 PM, Abominus said:

I am really interested in using your mod. If I want do create a character by event or decision, how do I swap one of the custom portraits onto the new character?

Right, basically it's all governed by traits. The traits point to the gfx files. You're assigning a trait that automatically will point to your portrait of choice. The easiest thing would be to not change the name of my traits, as that will cause you to have to rework some of my code to point to the new trait name.

As long as you know how to assign traits via events/decisions (very easy), you're basically set.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Grundy122 said:

I've a question about the user submitted portrait packs. How do I ge them to work, seeing as they lack a trait?

Oh, those are just gfx replacement files. You would use one of my base mods like normal, but you can place any of those submitted .dds files into the gfx folder to overwrite any of my existing files of your choosing. The file name has to match so it can overwrite any old files your replacing.

All my traits do is point to positions on a file's portrait strip, so you can literally plug in any portrait files you want and the system will work.

• 1 month later...

Hi there Remedy. I'm seem to be having a problem swapping out portrait from another mod that uses this mod. The mod is call "DW The Mercenary Commander", and what I basically did was cut and copy from other pictures and stacked on top of the original circles. For some reasons, it doesn't uses the new portraits but keep to the old ones. Everything was done on Gimp, exported as .dds with the same name. Have I done something wrong? or is this not how you suppose to swap out portraits?

remedy_portrait_swapping9.dds

remedy_portrait_swapping9 original.dds

On 3/12/2018 at 1:28 PM, noobshi said:

Hi there Remedy. I'm seem to be having a problem swapping out portrait from another mod that uses this mod. The mod is call "DW The Mercenary Commander", and what I basically did was cut and copy from other pictures and stacked on top of the original circles. For some reasons, it doesn't uses the new portraits but keep to the old ones. Everything was done on Gimp, exported as .dds with the same name. Have I done something wrong? or is this not how you suppose to swap out portraits?

remedy_portrait_swapping9.dds

remedy_portrait_swapping9 original.dds

You're probably putting the file in the wrong place.  Since DW Mercenary Commander is a submod, that dds file belongs in Dark World Reborns folder in the same place.  DewGuru included my image in his files for me to ensure it was easier on folks to have it in the right place without issues.  I suggest pasting it into the same location in Dark World Reborn instead and trying again.  Other than that, the file appears to be setup correctly at first glance.

On 3/13/2018 at 7:38 PM, Mr_Treason said:

You're probably putting the file in the wrong place.  Since DW Mercenary Commander is a submod, that dds file belongs in Dark World Reborns folder in the same place.  DewGuru included my image in his files for me to ensure it was easier on folks to have it in the right place without issues.  I suggest pasting it into the same location in Dark World Reborn instead and trying again.  Other than that, the file appears to be setup correctly at first glance.

Thank you! Thought something was weird when I try deleting the whole character folder, but portraits still show.

On 3/13/2018 at 10:38 PM, Mr_Treason said:

I'm glad someone else looks through this thread more than I do, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome mod. It is exactly what I am looking for. Though I am running into an issue.

I can't get the portrait of my character to actually change. Either by adding the trait, or by assigning it in custom ruler designer. I've tried to reload the game, exit windows, let some time go by but the portrait never actually changes. For example I picked Red viper trait in ruler designer and the portrait didn't switch and my character had no red viper trait.  Even after taking the actions I  mentioned above.

Then add_trait guts for example will say the command executed but the portrait doesn't change. 

I don't know if anyone else has run into this issue or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 5:18 PM, Cee45 said:

Awesome mod. It is exactly what I am looking for. Though I am running into an issue.

I can't get the portrait of my character to actually change. Either by adding the trait, or by assigning it in custom ruler designer. I've tried to reload the game, exit windows, let some time go by but the portrait never actually changes. For example I picked Red viper trait in ruler designer and the portrait didn't switch and my character had no red viper trait.  Even after taking the actions I  mentioned above.

Then add_trait guts for example will say the command executed but the portrait doesn't change. 

I don't know if anyone else has run into this issue or not. 

This likely is a mod incompatibility. Are you using Dark World? The two don't work with one another, as Dark World already uses my portrait mod to suit its own purposes. You'd need to add whatever portraits you want into any portrait slots that aren't currently being occupied by Dark World.

9 hours ago, Tyrantdave said:

Really awesome mod ReMeDy! I was wondering if there is anyway to randomly add a portrait trait to a child. I seen you said something about on_birth but where is that file and which do I put in exactly?

Just to clarify: Yes, you can randomly add a portrait to a child, but the child won't attain their given portrait until they hit adulthood, which is a value you specify in the defines .lua file that applies to all male or female characters. If you don't specify a value or want to ignore that step, then the default age is used, which is 16.

Before giving a solution, I must warn you that there's a major setback to what you're after. I already dabbled with the possibility of random portrait acquisitions in the past, but stopped because of one reason: Ethnicity. Let's say you have a black person -- there's no way to isolate that character's DNA to tell the game what that character's skin color is. That's a huge problem, because how do I tell the game to give them a black character portrait? Yes, you can isolate a character's culture, but you're playing with dangerous assumptions: Africans can be white people, too! This becomes progressively worse the deeper you are into the game, as mixed breeding occurs.

It also presents the problem of duplicate portraits. To cut down on this, include a cooldown functionality in your code so it skips over recently used portraits, and include a shit ton of portraits! Then, separate out your portraits based on male and female. You may as well sort them by ethnicity too, even if it won't do much good.

You would create an event in your events folder that is triggered via an on_birth on_action; point the id of your event to your common/on_actions.txt. Consult Paradox's main CKII folder for examples. Your event file's code would need to fire an event for every born child based on their gender. If male, they would receive a random male portrait, and likewise for females.

It's a lot of work for something that I'd ultimately not be satisfied with, since again a person's DNA skin color can't be isolated in code, so you're on your own.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I can see why that's a problem now. Honestly The ethnicity thing doesn't really apply to me because I'm mainly playing a sengoku mod instead of the vanilla map. So everyone in there would be japanese.

I'll still try to make an event to randomly assign a trait to a child on birth, never really tried event making but I guess it's time to start.

image.thumb.png.c077f071a1dbb48cad473e7ffddb8856.png

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

You would create an event in your events folder that is triggered via an on_birth on_action; point the id of your event to your common/on_actions.txt. Consult Paradox's main CKII folder for examples. Your event file's code would need to fire an event for every born child based on their gender. If male, they would receive a random male portrait, and likewise for females.

Any guides on how to do this? I tried searching for the event for births but all I can find is the ones for the bastards

Might as well share my portraits pack, just replace the template with these dds files if you're interested.

Portraits used:

(Portrait1-234) Rance 10

https://vndb.org/v20802

Rance.thumb.GIF.7dd391d66ee3f7306cc2aa5a249bc901.GIF

(Portrait235-455) Sengokuhime 6-7

https://vndb.org/v16629

https://vndb.org/v19736

Sengokuhime.thumb.GIF.5895637435525b363734466df54edffa.GIF

(Portrait456-572) Baseson Musou series (Sengoku&Three Kingdoms)

https://vndb.org/v13188

https://vndb.org/v16463

Baseson.thumb.GIF.c6086358d2314af8f5c8c151da3710a2.GIF

Had so much fun making these, thanks so much ReMeDy for creating this mod!

static_portraits.rar

On 4/19/2018 at 8:45 AM, Tyrantdave said:

Had so much fun making these, thanks so much ReMeDy for creating this mod!

Wow, those must have taken forever to make! And I thought I was the only one who had the patience to pump out portraits like that! I'm glad the portrait system was helpful to you.

I edited the topic with a new sub-mod, by zia, called Independent Custom Portraits. It's basically a sub-mod to any mod using my portrait system, allowing the user to have their own set of 650 portraits that won't conflict with any other mod using 650 portraits. In the case of Dark World, this means you won't have to fight over portrait space.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jxgtbv0vliuam7g/Independent_Custom_Portraits_by_zia.zip