(Advice) Currently contemplating upgrades for PC, input appreciated

kofman77

Greetings fellow pervs! I'm currently contemplating on making some upgrades for my PC. In a nutshell I want to upgrade my graphics card. Preferably one that has 6GB of GDDR5. But seeing as I want something that has a bit more "heft" in it if you will, it also occurred to me that I'll might need a higher rated Power Supply Unit (as it stands my PSU it rated at 500W). To be on the safe side I'd want a PSU that rated at 800W. However I admittedly am not all that knowledgeable who's reputable in making PSUs'.

I'm doing my research but if its all the same to you guys, I could use some advice as well. :) As for budgeting money is not really an issue BUT I don't want to break the bank either (ideally somewhere under $500 USD :blush:).

TL;DR Want upgrade graphics card/PSU. What comes recommended?

My PC Specs in the spoiler below.

post-39353-0-38593100-1433401200_thumb.jpg

I don't think you will get a 6GB card for $500 or less

The most i was able to see was a 4GB card like http://www.ebuyer.com/663848-msi-gtx-970-gaming-twin-frozr-v-4gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-gtx-970-gaming-4g which you wouldn't need to change PSU for (UK Money though so i'm guessing at the conversion to dollar).

As to PSU brand i've always found corsair to be good

A lot of Corsair PSU are rebranded Seasonic, same as many other premium brands' PSU.  Nowadays you can't really go wrong choosing among any premium PSU (US$100+ for 600W+) but Seasonic (own label or made by) is still known for consistently having the highest quality.       

Personally I dont know much about these things but,

I would recommend to upgrade to a 4GB VRAM GPU

GTX 660 is good and all but i think getting a better one would help tons in the days to come.

and as for PSU, get one around 800-1000 Watts (i have a 750 Watts one and use a Geforce GTX 770 works perfectly in Witcher 3 with the expection being that my CPU is dualcore and .... it needs an upgrade lol)

Yea if you wait for the fury to come out the prices on a lot of these current 300-500 dollar cards should drop.

You could probably consider getting a 290x, or a 970 then, you could also go the 660 sli route, but from first hand experience I would always suggest getting one card over sli or crossfire.

If you're looking for PSU's just try to find anything that's gold rated or better, bronze isn't neccissarely unsafe but it's always nice to not draw extra power from the wall or have to worry about voltage issues.

Yea if you wait for the fury to come out the prices on a lot of these current 300-500 dollar cards should drop.

You could probably consider getting a 290x, or a 970 then, you could also go the 660 sli route, but from first hand experience I would always suggest getting one card over sli or crossfire.

If you're looking for PSU's just try to find anything that's gold rated or better, bronze isn't neccissarely unsafe but it's always nice to not draw extra power from the wall or have to worry about voltage issues.

I believe the time frame for this will be a distance off. Also the premium cards (6gb v ram) that are at the top of the market don't get effected as easily or as much as those in the middle of the market / power range. Most get discontinued and sold before those massive price drops. I dont' anticipate much more of a drop for those 980 cards.. However the drop I do anticipate will enter into the 400 dollar range though. Matching the OPs desire for a great graphic card.

See the recent release of the 980ti is planed not a replacement. Without AMD's answer being released there wont be as much of a drop if any. The 980ti (6gb vram) card is squarely in-between the normal 980 and the Titan(s). I hear that AMD is going to be a bit of time before releasing their answer. Even though I am not interested in AMD graphic cards I do wish they release their next gen card soon, so that nVidia cards would do their final price adjustment for this generation. (then there will be one more major adjustment period where the old cards would be cleared from inventory). Then I can get my upgrade. :D Which is the same thing as the OP's price range.. lol.

For that kind of budget, something like this would be your best bet...

SAPPHIRE Tri-X Radeon R9 290X 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 $360 (at Newegg) (or a 8GB Vapor-X instead of Tri-X if you can find one)
CORSAIR CS850M 850W 80+ Gold Modular $130 (at Newegg)

SAPPHIRE Tri-X Radeon R9 290X 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 $360 (at Newegg) (or a 8GB Vapor-X instead of Tri-X if you can find one)

Now currently out of stock .. at least at my location.. :D. However a very good choice for your budget..

Nice card

Is it just that we are screwed in the UK on pricing since i looked for that 8 GB card and i found one here http://www.ilgs.net/sapphire-tri-x-r9-290x-8gb-gddr5-oc-uefi-amd-radeon-r9-290x-8gb?gclid=CJ6E-pXb-sUCFTPKtAod9BUA-A but that lists it as £342 and their is no way that converts into $360 dollars (well unless the UK currency crashed over night)

Prices in Europe are always higher than the US. If you can wait until June 18th, which is the release date for AMD 300 series, you might get an 390x for a similar price or you might be able to get the 290x cheaper.

Prices in Europe are always higher than the US. If you can wait until June 18th, which is the release date for AMD 300 series, you might get an 390x for a similar price or you might be able to get the 290x cheaper.

I'll raise you Australia for that. Literally everything here gets hit with the 'floating island' tax. Doesn't help that we're the most expensive place for hardware... :(

Archived