Download Windows 10 Option popped up

Today I realized that in my task bar the option to download Windows 10 appeared.

Anyone had this happen as well? :)

Should I do it now or should I wait a bit before opting in?

From what I understood it will be installed once the official release date is reached, but I am not sure if I shouldn't wait a bit for the first patches, fixes etc ^^

And does anybody know about the compatibility with the stuff that is installed right now? (Skyrim, CK etc?)

they would of fixed it by the release but i may opt out if it gonna be worse then windows 8 or 8.1

Actually, from what I've read it seems rather good. About as good as 7 at least, since they've considerably lowered the standard over the past few releases. I'm still giving it proper time to get patched and reviewed before I jump on the wagon, though.

I heard that it is a lot better than 8 and 8.1 as well. I read up a bit on it and most software sites that tested it were positve for 10.

Just wondering if I should wait or not, with 12 months to decide I might wait for a while, I am just not sure if the option in the task bar will stay there, or if I have to get it from their website if I wait for a bit.

(Just clicking the icon is so comfy and luring, otherwise I might have to go through some shenenigans on their website later :P)

And it says, my PC is ready and no problems were found (if I found the right option to check it ^_^)

I've been on 10 for several weeks now, haven't had any problems, heard plenty of good about it. Obviously it's still WIP, but you can stay on the slow update track so you only get updates when they're actually properly vetted, instead of getting every little thing as it goes up which is potentially risky :P.

Guest endgameaddiction

I'm not going anywhere near Windows 10 (or any other newer Windows for that matter) until I don't have any other choice.

Windows 7, ftw.

Win7folife

I can't stand macroshit messing with everything trying to force change on everyone!

Companies won't use this even if it is free for them too because it will require training to update all company employees on how to use the new windows. It will also require new training for the support center people so they can answer any calls from company employees that can't figure out where anything is. There was some statistic I read a while back showing something like only 5% of business customers update to the latest windows when it comes out. I think some companies out there are STILL just getting updated to windows 7 only because they absolutely have to. Windows 2k was better for companies than win98 or ME and winxp was better for companies that 2k. Win7 is better for companies than xp since now there is now more updates and support for xp. But anything after win7 is just some diversion, m$ constantly takes away useful things and replaces them with annoying squares and wannabe cell phone apps.

Every time another version of windows comes out, it comes with more sneaky stuff from the alphabet soup people and more useful stuff ripped out!

The ONLY use for windows 10 is for gamers trying to use SLI/Crossfire features with their video cards because DX12 will natively support those things now. But there are no huge abundance of games that use DX12 and there won't be because consoles:-(

There will be many years between now and common use of DX12 unless m$ dumps the xbone and releases another console with compatible hardware or somehow by some miracle of programming (don't hold your breath) the current gen consoles are updated to support DX12. Maybe if they had planned it all along and just had it on standby but that leaves sony in the dark for a while.

Consoles and idiots at m$ with ui delusions are dragging down everything else computer related. The industry is ripe for a true competitor to show up and give m$ a real run for their money! The first corp that makes a truly useful OS for business that never changes the interface and provides ALL the features in windows minus all the bugs and has compatibility for windows based programs will be the corp that changes the world! It is time for the companies of the world to unite and grow up, stop using a consumer gaming OS for business needs.

Make an OS that doesn't change the UI, has superior security features and updates, doesn't require a bunch of bloated resource wasting programming like dot net or similar... has superior networking topology and features too. Nobody wants to spend an hour or more on the dam phone trying to figure out why they can't see a dam networked drive and right click everything over and over again all day! Get it done make it happen already! How much money and time do companies waste on user issues and support daily?

BTW linux is NOT what I am talking about either I am talking about something new and better, whatever that might turn out to be.

I can't stand macroshit messing with everything trying to force change on everyone!

Companies won't use this even if it is free for them too because it will require training to update all company employees on how to use the new windows. It will also require new training for the support center people so they can answer any calls from company employees that can't figure out where anything is. There was some statistic I read a while back showing something like only 5% of business customers update to the latest windows when it comes out. I think some companies out there are STILL just getting updated to windows 7 only because they absolutely have to. Windows 2k was better for companies than win98 or ME and winxp was better for companies that 2k. Win7 is better for companies than xp since now there is now more updates and support for xp. But anything after win7 is just some diversion, m$ constantly takes away useful things and replaces them with annoying squares and wannabe cell phone apps.

Every time another version of windows comes out, it comes with more sneaky stuff from the alphabet soup people and more useful stuff ripped out!

The ONLY use for windows 10 is for gamers trying to use SLI/Crossfire features with their video cards because DX12 will natively support those things now. But there are no huge abundance of games that use DX12 and there won't be because consoles:-(

There will be many years between now and common use of DX12 unless m$ dumps the xbone and releases another console with compatible hardware or somehow by some miracle of programming (don't hold your breath) the current gen consoles are updated to support DX12. Maybe if they had planned it all along and just had it on standby but that leaves sony in the dark for a while.

Consoles and idiots at m$ with ui delusions are dragging down everything else computer related. The industry is ripe for a true competitor to show up and give m$ a real run for their money! The first corp that makes a truly useful OS for business that never changes the interface and provides ALL the features in windows minus all the bugs and has compatibility for windows based programs will be the corp that changes the world! It is time for the companies of the world to unite and grow up, stop using a consumer gaming OS for business needs.

Make an OS that doesn't change the UI, has superior security features and updates, doesn't require a bunch of bloated resource wasting programming like dot net or similar... has superior networking topology and features too. Nobody wants to spend an hour or more on the dam phone trying to figure out why they can't see a dam networked drive and right click everything over and over again all day! Get it done make it happen already! How much money and time do companies waste on user issues and support daily?

BTW linux is NOT what I am talking about either I am talking about something new and better, whatever that might turn out to be.

Well as I understand it, win10 is going to go the same route as OS10 on mac, the last full release of an os. It will also be mainly the same across all the platforms, true or not only time will tell.

Also win 8 is better under the hood than 7 but has the god awful UI. I use it with classic shell to look like Vista (the closest I could get to how I was used to at least)

And I don't blame MS for obsoleteing XP since one shouldn't expect a company to support a product that is over a decade old, let alone something that won't handle newer software.

You know, I'm kinda surprised seeing so many people everywhere who are happy to have received a notification about MS's next product on their task bar, probably appeared without their consent. I suppose that's because people love free things? Of course, I shouldn't be surprised seeing many other happy people when MS starts showing ads on their desktop. :)

More importantly - does anyone know how to get rid of this icon?

It unhides itself on system restart.

It's annoying as hell and there is no option to disable it anywhere.

You may want to try some of the suggestions here:

To get rid of the icon permanently uninstall KB3035583 which is responsible for these notifications. When you're offered the same again via Windows Update remember to hide it.

http://superuser.com/questions/922068/how-to-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-area-tray

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3820ma/windows_10_free_upgrades_kb3035583_and_you_a_faq/

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I had set Windows Update service to manual start, so I haven't received the notification.

I completely agree with Richard Stallman:

Windows snoops on users, shackles users and, on mobiles, censors apps; it also has a universal back door that allows Microsoft to remotely impose software changes. Microsoft sabotages Windows users by showing security holes to the NSA before fixing them.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/22/malware-viruses-companies-preinstall

More importantly - does anyone know how to get rid of this icon?

It unhides itself on system restart.

It's annoying as hell and there is no option to disable it anywhere.

You may want to try some of the suggestions here:

To get rid of the icon permanently uninstall KB3035583 which is responsible for these notifications. When you're offered the same again via Windows Update remember to hide it.

http://superuser.com/questions/922068/how-to-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-area-tray

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3820ma/windows_10_free_upgrades_kb3035583_and_you_a_faq/

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Thank you <3

You know, I'm kinda surprised seeing so many people everywhere who are happy to have received a notification about MS's next product on their task bar, probably appeared without their consent. I suppose that's because people love free things? Of course, I shouldn't be surprised seeing many other happy people when MS starts showing ads on their desktop. :)

Actually, I am happy about it :P

I forget a lot, that is why I have to read the small note every morning that says "First the socks, then the shoes!".

Well, it is not that bad, but I am glad that I got reminded about W10, since I am eager to try it out.

My fear was that 12 months after release someone would say "neener neener" because I forgot about it :lol: