Modding its legal???

grimlook

Of course it's illegal if you use the illegal tools like Construction set, Creation Kit or GECK. ;)  :D

No it is legal if you don't use files from other games or Music/Sound files ( all Copyright Protected files)

All Bethesda files and self created files are ok.

Guest endgameaddiction

Since you didn't specify if modding was illegal for Bethesda games, I will say that it varies by the developer. But since this community focuses more on Bethesda games, no, it's not illegal. But that depends.     Just like fejeena says. If using copyrighted material, than it is illegal. But that's if you port copyrighted material to another game and -share- it with others. It's absolutely not illegal to port copyrighted material for one's personal interest, alone.

Yea. you get some sites that are all around that porting shit and honestly they suck. I asked this question to myself when i started modding (using them) but yea. its legal as long as you don't port assets without permission(and host them) like a lot of people do now a days instead of making them themselves.

Yes, that's why this site exists.

I'm not sure if LL supports piracy and content ripping. Maybe they are just "turning a blind eye"

Yea. you get some sites that are all around that porting shit and honestly they suck. I asked this question to myself when i started modding (using them) but yea. its legal as long as you don't port assets without permission(and host them) like a lot of people do now a days instead of making them themselves.

Shhh LL is full of illegal game rips and daz/poser stuffs. Some are just missing credits so its okay to publish.

Yes, that's why this site exists.

I'm not sure if LL supports piracy and content ripping. Maybe they are just "turning a blind eye"

Shhh LL is full of illegal game rips and daz/poser stuffs. Some are just missing credits so its okay to publish.

*gasps* yea but you all are cool about it and not bitches like most places ive seen.  IM NOT SAYING porters are bad. Just you know, some i know claim its all theirs and shit, and i find that to be wrong. Most porters i met are like that and I dont know, never seen eye to eye. aslong as credit is given were credit is due. I could honestly care less. XD

modderators are not running after each  individuals    and they absolutely not going to check each mod contenant  for credits and permissions  . 

each modder is doing staff with his own conscience  .        and if someone finds a problematic file  :    one can easily   repport it to LL Staff   and actions are taken.

ofcorse it is legal   to modd  and bethestha offers the Tools for it   ( just Under their conditions ) .         read the eula provided with the game.

See Nexus has ALOT of copyrighted stuff. Seriously, They have Iron Man armor that HAS to be a port from one of those terrible console games. The textures are insanely detailed and meshes are insanely accurate on it. Not to mention the loads of other stuff that site has where ppl have made stuff for Fan boys/girls out there. Hell, I am a Robocop fan till I die so I had to get me his Modified Berretta, although a Swedish man a few years ago modified a vector TDR to look and fire like Robo's gun.. but I've gotten off track lol. Nexus for sure allows copy righted mods, not sure if THATS legal but THAT is Nexus(not an overt fan of them really, to elitist)

Guest endgameaddiction

They don't permit copyright material on their site. There's been too many insta-bans for it and that's usually the time when I will agree with them. However, like Nexus, LL and any other major mod site, it's hard for a few moderators to go around searching every single mod if it's legit or ripped. It's in our hands to help maintain LL safe from that type of stuff. At least most of the moderators here actually have projects so it keeps them busy apart from their daily monitorizing the forums.

This site has had it's share of ripped content upload and it gets removed instantly. But it's bound to happen to any mod site. It's a matter of handling it The difference is you are given a warning. A chance. Hell, given multiple chances. Even though the Rules specifically states not to do so. You'll find this place much more comforting even though we have our bickering moments in topic forums. That's what keeps LL different from other communties that feel the need to have this power-driven attitude simply because their ego permits it. Unless it's super extreme. And really most the stuff is common sense, anways.

Lady Luck is with me today: 777 post :D

You'll find this place much more comforting even though we have our bickering moments in topic forums. That's what keeps LL different from other communties that feel the need to have this power-driven attitude simply because their ego permits it.

Or this place is more comforting cause everyone is super relexed from masterbaiting from the sexy mods XDDDD

If you use copyrighted stuff in your own Mods, Yes. You can use all you want in your own Mods. But if you release a Mod with copyrighted stuff it is illegal.

Actually you need to add the fact that you legally purchased those materials and the Eula of those items don't expressly prohibit it... ;) However I digress. That is according to a perfect world. In reality nobody knows what you are doing to your personal copy of the game.. (well most of the time. There is coding in Papyrus and even Sexout logs that give ... um.. info on what some might be doing that.. well might not be legal.. if you get my meaning.. ;))

In actual real world so long as the legal owner isn't concerned with the porting or use of materials then it is given a silent "nod" or permission. Those rip sites that Raider and others are talking about are known by many of the game sites of course. However the companies aren't concerned with the rips of their product and if they were, one simple letter would get those content and any other content from that game removed from the server. Instantly. Same as here. If there is a legitimate claim of copy-write infringement given to the moderator/admin that item or items would be removed instantly.

If you use copyrighted stuff in your own Mods, Yes. You can use all you want in your own Mods. But if you release a Mod with copyrighted stuff it is illegal.

Actually you need to add the fact that you legally purchased those materials and the Eula of those items don't expressly prohibit it... ;) However I digress. That is according to a perfect world. In reality nobody knows what you are doing to your personal copy of the game.. (well most of the time. There is coding in Papyrus and even Sexout logs that give ... um.. info on what some might be doing that.. well might not be legal.. if you get my meaning.. ;))

In actual real world so long as the legal owner isn't concerned with the porting or use of materials then it is given a silent "nod" or permission. Those rip sites that Raider and others are talking about are known by many of the game sites of course. However the companies aren't concerned with the rips of their product and if they were, one simple letter would get those content and any other content from that game removed from the server. Instantly. Same as here. If there is a legitimate claim of copy-write infringement given to the moderator/admin that item or items would be removed instantly.

Aslong as the mod maker isnt making money they dont care.

(or so it seems)

One thing I don't understand about forums like these and others, why bother with legal stuff? Host the site in antigua and forget about if something is legal or not? The guy that made clonecd program remember that and clonedvd? he is an italian guy who moved his company there and he eventually retired there. His software is STILL available and he cannot be touched by m@fi@@ written laws! there are other places too for hosting a site and not get in any trouble from it but that place is well known maybe has better internet than other places.

All the forums for games including this one have policies where it is forbidden to post "warez" links but there is no need for that kind of internet police action when you can still host a site in a place where it doesn't matter anymore. I am not advocating "warez" I am just pointing something out here. Places like that you don't have to worry about some game rip content either just post the content and use it which is probably what happens, we only see the side of this from people complaining to places where they can complain and get their content taken down but in other places in the world nobody even gives this stuff a first thought or a second.

I guess for most people running sites like this, the issue is more of personal ethics?

Aslong as the mod maker isnt making money they dont care.

(or so it seems)

True. I believe that it is tollerated because if they cracked down on hobiest that are porting their favorite characters like Deathpool, halo or Star Wars characters they are afraid of the negative blow back that would occur. I am positive if even a small clip or piece of mesh, texture however small from their game got used in another game without their consent they would sue the ass off of the company and create a press shit storm. Take a look at the company that used "Falllout" in their title. Just the name and they got nailed.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/bethesda-parent-forces-fortress-fallout-developer-into-name-change/

There was no hesitation or second thoughts. They had to protect their assets even the name. Another thing that helps those sites is there are "requirements' to join. You have to be active and have a fair number of post .. real post to even be able to access these mods (ripped mods) and it they are even hinted that you have re-released them.. you would be banned and they would chase them down to other sites. Most of which don't want to deal with bestheda and the ripped content and are more than happy to pull those mods down.

One thing I don't understand about forums like these and others, why bother with legal stuff? Host the site in antigua and forget about if something is legal or not? 

Probably because that would be like...well...WRONG.

In the two years I've been here I've never seen Ashal or any of his staff do anything illegal, endorse anything illegal or otherwise do anything to give Lover's Lab a negative reputation.

*Points out the Obvious*

"Why bother with the legal stuff?"  Hmm...outside of the moral implications and being labled as a thief and pirate, maybe getting sued into bankruptcy or doing time in a U.S. Federal Prison is enough of a deterent.  Not to mention the FBI seizing not only your servers but also your personal assets.  BUT the big reason not to do 'the illegal stuff' is to avoid being a scumbag piece of shit.

Probably because that would be like...well...WRONG.

In the two years I've been here I've never seen Ashal or any of his staff do anything illegal, endorse anything illegal or otherwise do anything to give Lover's Lab a negative reputation.

*Points out the Obvious*

"Why bother with the legal stuff?"  Hmm...outside of the moral implications and being labled as a thief and pirate, maybe getting sued into bankruptcy or doing time in a U.S. Federal Prison is enough of a deterent.  Not to mention the FBI seizing not only your servers but also your personal assets.  BUT the big reason not to do 'the illegal stuff' is to avoid being a scumbag piece of shit.

This. everything in this post.

You guys missed part of my post, in some parts of the world you can do anything and nothing happens. Some of those places have some bandwidth and most don't but still there are places to go where anything goes. That italian guy I mentioned, he is not in jail and never has been. His software has been used to make exact copies of everything and anything since the playstation came out and is still in business. If the m@fi@@ could reach him they dam sure would have long before now! There was some dvd copying software on the market years ago and on retail shelves, it didn't last two months before the company was shut down and their software was removed from stores and they had to pay a huge fine. But if they had been in one of those other places and sold their software on the internet they would still be around.

Sure now it is easy to say well there are ethics involved and so on but later when/if "things" like we have here at this site are ruled offensive or discrimination or hate speech, then what? then this place is on the side of the argument I am discussing. It is sad to think that server hosting in russia has better protection from "laws" than the states or UK etc.

Most of us here probably know some of these "sites" I am talking about and have been to them recently.

You guys missed part of my post, in some parts of the world you can do anything and nothing happens. Some of those places have some bandwidth and most don't but still there are places to go where anything goes.

Doesn't make it right thou.

Nope, no it doesn't make it right. The difference between right and wrong vary between the govt and the people where the govt gets it wrong most of the time yet they have the ability to make their understandings right or else.

We should not have to depend on obscure places to have freedom of speech among other things though.

Archived