Fallout New Vegas GECK & Scripting Help 101

I see now that the version is a "forked" one

The GECK 1 4 PowerUp for Fallout New Vegas -a fork by PurplePigeon is the title of the mod linked on the first page. In red it states "fork" and there is a link to the original work. I was expecting different versions in the downloads on that link not that the actual link was the fork. I don't know what I was thinking.

The GECK 1 4 PowerUp for Fallout New Vegas -a fork by PurplePigeon is the title of the mod linked on the first page. In red it states "fork" and there is a link to the original work. I was expecting different versions in the downloads on that link not that the actual link was the fork. I don't know what I was thinking.

I'll add that to this OP to make it clearer :)

Same thing happened to me forever ago. A pet hate of mine are downloads (but especially on nexus) that just have generic names rather than useful descriptions. Its fine when you download them individually, but when you have 100's of downloads, finding out what "Update Patch K5B99ALLol_35" does can be problematic.

MainFile-#####.zip

I'll add that to this OP to make it clearer :)

Halstrom it was clear.

I was just downloading and working with many things at a time. I just didn't recognize the text in red or I wouldn't have embarrassed myself with posting that question. :blush: .

Got it Docta. Just need to rest for the day before I try to read how to install it and then test to see if it loads correctly etc. If I missed Hal's comment on the fork until much later then I need some rest before I botch the installation up. Besides need to change gears and watch a movie or something.

I have a question to set up the GECK PU - NVSE extention

INSTALLATION, UNINSTALLATION AND RUNNING
==========
The PowerUp requires no special installation. Just copy geckpu-nv-14.dll and geckpu-nv-14.exe to your
Fallout: New Vegas directory (where geck.exe is).

To uninstall just remove these files. This version of PowerUp does not store any settings anywhere.

To run the GECK with PowerUp, launch geckpu-nv-14.exe. It will automatically do the rest.

To run GECK with PowerUp and NVSE, copy the Data folder to your Fallout: New Vegas directory (where geck.exe is),
then load the Geck through nvse as usual: nvse-loader.exe -editor.

Text in Red. What do I do to get the nvse-loader.exe -editor working. I did this once before for another game but can't remember how it is done. I want to make sure that I have the base tools installed to at least be able to see all this "scripting" thing a ma jiggys that you are talking about... lol. The only way I will be able to learn or do any more in the future is if I bite the bullet, or ray from the ray gun ;)  and actually start looking and getting my hands on some mods and seeing the scripts and coding that is being mentioned.

After this gets set up I then plan to make a copy of all the GECK,  NVSE, FNVedit and PU changes into the Game files. I believe those 4 are what I need installed into the actual game. I am not missing some other tools that are needed inside the base game. (Game Folder) Correct?

You have to create a shortcut and launch it from that so that the shortcut goes to  [Your Computer's Directory]\FalloutNV\nvse_loader.exe" -editor approximately.  For example, because I've got the Steam version and I've got it installed on my D drive, mine is "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\nvse_loader.exe" -editor

I don't know what you're trying to do, but some of the best ways to learn is from popping open an existing mod that you have or searching and downloading one that has some of the functionality that you want to mimic and see how someone else did it.  Did they do it the most efficient way?  No idea.

I asked the creator of Willow (llamaRCA, iirc) if I could use some of her companion scripts (she said that I could), but she said that she would have done things a lot differently based on what she's learned since she created Willow.

EDIT:  Corrected my half-assed location shortcut for posterity thanks to ChianasGeek and a nap.

Hi guys, it's me again, the noob.

I have another question, this time about Lists

Here we go:

I created a new list ( cucetaNoobModAllowedItems ) and dragged/dropped some items into this list

The purpose is to control what items are the player allowed to use/equip during a specific event

To scan what the player is currently wearing/using, i created a effect and used CIOS

When the player use/equip a new item (without checking if the item is inside the allowed item list), the effect/event works.

However, checking if the item is inside the "allowed item list", doesn't work.

Here's what i tried ( script attached to a base effect ):

Begin ScriptEffectStart
	set rSelf to GetSelf
End

Begin ScriptEffectUpdate
	set rArmor to rSelf.GetEquippedObject 2
	set rLHand to rSelf.GetEquippedObject 3
	set rRHand to rSelf.GetEquippedObject 4	
	; ... And so goes on ...

; Is it wearing armor (upper body) ?
	if ( rArmor )

; Is the armor allowed to wear ? 
		if ( 0 == rArmor.IsInList cucetaNoobModAllowedItems ) ; NOT Working
		    rSelf.UnequipItem rArmor ;
		endif

endif

; ...More crap stuff ...

End

If i remove the  "IsInList check", the item is unequipped and everything went as expected. But i need to check for allowed items

I tested using items that indeed are inside the list

What am i doing wrong? (as usual)

@cuceta: Found this in another thread, so thank DoctaSax, not me.  In the thread, the request was checking to make sure that an actor couldn't equip armor and in that script/mod body suits were in the list (i.e., char had to stay naked).  The snipped in it below uses an NVSE list function.

Why doesn't IsInList work?  Couldn't figure that one out.  :D  My guess is that it's expecting a Ref ID instead of a Base ID and that running it on a Base ID is like dividing by zero, but then I'm superstitious about Base/Form/Ref/Object IDs and like to make up shit.

If anyone wishes to enlighten me as to if that's the actual reason it doesn't work, that would be awesome.

Nope. Didn't work. Basically I stuck the nude bodies in the form list, put on a legion recruit armor and it never unequipped it.

Like you thought it might.

Eh, great.
I shoulda gone & checked NG's undressing of course...

ref rClothingItem

set rClothingItem to characterRefID.GetEquippedObject 2 ; check UB-slot gear
if -1 == ListGetFormIndex FormListID rClothingItem ;
characterRefID.unequipitem rClothingItem 0 0/1 ;(1 if you want to hide the message)
endif

*should* do the trick if done in a spell or object script.

I think IsInList is a problematic function..  I use either (as does SCR and other plugins):

Like the DoctaSax quote:

if ListGetFormIndex SomeList MyForm < 0

ListGetFormIndex returns the position in a given list of the item you check, it returns -1 if the item is not in the list

Or if you are using the NX extender, I would use this:

if NX_IsInList SomeList MyForm < 1

This function returns 0 if the item is not in the list, or various other numbers if it is (see Prideslayers documentation)

Geck's documentation about IsInList never mentioned about issues, so i would never figure out about this.

I wasn't aware about this ListGetFormIndex, good to know.

It reminds me of the "indexOf" based functions who usually returns -1 when something couldn't be found :D

I got a feeling the vanilla IsInList is broken, I never use it, 2 ways I do it, you can check if an actor has equipped something in a list by:

if rZActor.GetEquipped BannedArmorList

or use the NX equivalent

if (NX_IsInList BannedArmorList rItem == 1)

Yeah, NX_IsInList is a bit better, although listgetformindex still works. To check if an actor's wearing something from a list I just go GetEquipped List > 0 & that'll work in dialog conditions too and works right out of the box, vanilla wise - checkmeout's based on that. IsInList proper doesn't work here because clothing in an actor's inventory is an inventory ref, something in between a baseform and an in-game ref.