GAMING NEWS: Dead or Alive maker asks modders to be “good and moral” with content

There have been doom saying on PC for many years...just as there have been doom saying for consoles.

The odd thing about DoA however is that likeness of the series had been used for commercial gains by third party in Japan for years, but I have yet to heard of any sort of crack down on it, and clearly mods of DoA related content exist in Skyrim and Oblivion.

My initial reaction reading this article:

This line took the cake though:

"Hayashi's mention of an "IP holder" perspective could hint at concern over modders putting other famous characters into the Dead or Alive engine. Back in 2004, Marvel sued City of Heroes maker Cryptic Studios for character creation tools that allowed players to easily create in-game facsimiles of famous comic book characters."

erm... yeah...eyyyy...nooo I don't even.... hmm

Six or so years ago i made a sketch book for my little sister and she drew a batman in it, clearly i must now confess my sins to DC comics for providing a platform of which such a gruesome act could be performed. 

Besides is there like a secret contract of some sort when making/porting a game for PC that states that it has to have mod tools. and open assets files? 

Besides is there like a secret contract of some sort when making/porting a game for PC that states that it has to have mod tools. and open assets files?

Well no, but the problem is that anything you put on the PC can have its assets exported and reused/uploaded elsewhere really easily. Ultimately you can't prevent it without the video card MFGs getting onboard. It's much more difficult to rip assets from console games, and eventually I'm sure it will be impossible without very specialized hardware.

Also keep in mind this is Japanese culture we're talking about here, Japanese corporate culture. If you release a game using assets I licensed you from my franchise, and modders/hackers extract those assets and release them out into the wild -- it's your fault, no matter what anyone else thinks.

• 2 weeks later...