GAMING NEWS: Dead or Alive maker asks modders to be “good and moral” with content

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/dead-or-alive-maker-asks-modders-to-be-good-and-moral-with-content/

I lol'd when I read it, knowing that anything happens here first, but what's even funny is that DOA itself shows lots of skin. :lol:

"We have to deal with mod issues from an IP holder perspective," Koei Tecmo producer Yosuke Hayashi said in an interview with trade publication MCV. "We would like to ask PC users to play our game in good moral and manner. Otherwise, we won’t be able to release a title for PC again."

Yeah, I reckoned that he must be aware of the Japanese modding community and the works they produced, some of which could've inspired him to warn potential modders.

EDIT: reading further, he's worried that modders may cause some potential legal problems with other copyright owners, but I'm not going to be surprised if somebody does a port.

Also, Rule 34.

I think the "copyright" issue they're concerned with is people making cosplay/cameo outfits, or character models from other games.

But on the subject of "lewd content", this is pot calling the kettle black.

Just like RezTheFatal said, super-micro-bikinis that may as well not be there are okay, but PC nude mods are not?

"Otherwise, we won’t be able to release a title for PC again."

Oh, fuck you! "Don't make nude mods, or no more DoA for you, PC gamers!"

Look, I'm not a huge fan of DoA, but's some bullshit right there...

:-/ That's like asking a bear not to shit in the woods because it would stink.  I mean come on Kasumi from DOA series is one of the most heavily modded, animated and patched heroines in the game.  You can't look ten feet in a fansite without SOME picture of her showing her goods.  Some are just downright out there and that includes a lot of other sites ranging from mini-games, dress ups and even dating simulators and this guy wants to put a lid on all of that?

I got a better alternative; give the guy a pair of tweezers and ask him to raise the Titanic with them.  Trust me he'll have better luck.

I couldn't care less about this.  I got bored with DoA years ago.

Same here; never really got into the series.  Don't get me wrong you got some gorgeous women in that series but fighting games for me ran out of style around the same time Mortal Kombat 4 hit the arcades.  After that I was just, "meh been there and done that," and my focus went more toward FPS, MMORPG and RPG type titles.

If Bethesda took a similar stance trust me their sales wouldn't have been anywhere near close to what they are now.  Face it; we play games like the Elders Scrolls and Fallout because of their easy mod-ability.  Bethesda knew it would sell and would NEVER alienate a playerbase like that.  Its the reason why you still see games like I stated above still sell really well while others that are not so mod friendly have long since been regulated to the bargain bin.

THIS PROBABLY DOES NOT MEAN AS A KNOCK ON NUDITY OR ADULT CONTENT!

It is likely a warning about porting other franchises asset into DoA...possibly warning against porting asset in DoA out of it too...

But I think it would be pretty sweet if it is possible to port some of those content into Skyrim.

possibly warning against porting asset in DoA out of it too...

This is probably it, entirely. DOA often has 'cameos' of IP from other franchises; e.g. DOA5 had three virtual fighter characters. If TN doesn't protect those assets well enough (and it's impossible for them to do so on a PC release), then Sega is probably going to blame them and tell them "no more cameos if you release on PC."

I couldn't care less about this.  I got bored with DoA years ago.

That's not the point here i don´t care eather about DOA but if this becomes a trend censureship with treat of not releasing for PC this is not a good development for future more developers could deside not to release anymore and only make for INFERIOR consoles.

PC gamers should mass boycot these company's(which im affraid most won't do even if PC suffer from this they just don't care(see your reply), ignorance and don't care attitude is something wide spread).

But majority want what rest likes so PC slowly dying anyway.

This is probably it, entirely. DOA often has 'cameos' of IP from other franchises; e.g. DOA5 had three virtual fighter characters. If TN doesn't protect those assets well enough (and it's impossible for them to do so on a PC release), then Sega is probably going to blame them and tell them "no more cameos if you release on PC."

This i partly true but you know well enough, that's not only the case they try find means to limited the whole open platform that PC is there are other forces behind this that just don't want to release on PC not only for IP protection.

I don't think it's an anti-nudity warning, but rather a copyright one. Some games including Skyrim have ripped outfit mods from DoA, and since you can't even port assets from FO3 to New Vegas without catching shit, then this must be illegal as hell.

Indeed it is copyright warning. Because some suits from this industry are retarded with their "That's mine you do not touch it! Mhrma mram mrh". They totally ignore that it is fandom creation giving them publicity and maybe even new product in future.

is not a nudity thing, is more like the suckfuckery, i mean looks how many sickfuck sex mods skyrim, fallout, ME, DA, Oblivion, the Sims and NWN has thxt o the slaaneshi asian community

remember the confusion with that child mod which pretty much pissed off ragna and most people here, also he even left LL after that

they know how sick the asian community can be when its a sex mod, i mean there's 3 full DoA sex movies made with the SFM

This i partly true but you know well enough, that's not only the case they try find means to limited the whole open platform that PC is there are other forces behind this that just don't want to release on PC not only for IP protection.

I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist, so what "other forces" are you talking about? This is a commercial company, there's only one force motivating them -- money. They must feel that releasing for the PC will bring more money in, but they're concerned that PC users may do something that causes them to lose money in the long run.

The only two things I can think of there are simple piracy, and causing them to lose access to other IP, both of which will cost them future sales -- the latter will cost them future sales even on consoles where piracy is practically a non-issue.

I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist, so what "other forces" are you talking about? This is a commercial company, there's only one force motivating them -- money. They must feel that releasing for the PC will bring more money in, but they're concerned that PC users may do something that causes them to lose money in the long run.

The only two things I can think of there are simple piracy, and causing them to lose access to other IP, both of which will cost them future sales -- the latter will cost them future sales even on consoles where piracy is practically a non-issue.

Correction, console have huge piracy issue and it is beyond "self use" but console publisher are bitching more about reselling used tittles, oh boy how hard they want to get ride of that - on other hand used marked is not a issue on pc.

Correction, console have huge piracy issue.

It's a non-issue in this context. It's not the pirating of the games that's the problem -- the problem is that if they make the game for the PC, and it's easy to pirate (as all of them are), then people may just do that instead of buying it at all. This costs them real sales that they would have otherwise made -- not phony sales where someone pirated a game because it was available, that they never would have paid for regardless of platform.

We live in fairy tale world we have no conspiracy no other forces its soley the game maker afraid of sales or IP problems yeh right, dream on.

Did you follow the past 10 years PC market and impact consoles have on PC platform?

Or even other business where companys discredit or use all kinds of tactics to boost there own sales or politicians who try manipulate everything infavor of who pay them the most?

And do you realy think that goverments or other companys behind scene not try influence how all business go in gaming market also competition?

All kind of organisations censorship games movies music?

PC market is dying for years, and i don't mean only sales.

This is 100% not only concern for IP or own sales it's a lot more going on here then meets the eye.

We live in fairy tale world we have no conspiracy no other forces its soley the game maker afraid of sales or IP problems yeh right, dream on.

Well lay it bare then. Don't ask me a bunch of rhetorical questions you think you already know the answers to, oh wise sage. Just speak plain. Who's behind this terrible conspiracy and what are their goals?