Is skyrim easier to play on pc with a ps3 controller?

I have an X-Box 360 controller, and i hate it :P Can't remember when i last used it, but it's definitely not made for the hands of tall male adults.

BTW for sneaking, you can also hold the "walk" key while sneaking for maximum effect.

Although i have kind of "guitar player hands" so i have massive advantages for anything that requires complex keyboard combinations.

The thing with Analogue is that even when walking, you can adjust your walking speed. You can walk faster, or slower, than the normal speed, which is something that is impossible for K&M, as it only has a toggle between 2 options. It makes sneaking much better because you can walk at a much faster rate to either backstab people or other similar stuff.

Think about every single time an NPC has a slower running speed than you or a faster walking speed than you. You can go at the same speed as them with a controller. You can't do that with K&M.

Sorry but that's just BS :) You can't walk faster with a gamepad.

edit: or you probably mean "walk" as in "walk-run-sprint"? Still, you can even move crouched just as fast as running with the right perks.

And i don't see how giving up the entire natural aiming controls of a mouse for stick-aiming would justify anything. Seriously, aiming with a gamepad is like driving an electric wheelchair. Same with walking/running when you want to change direction suddenly.

No, I mean you can walk faster with a gamepad, simple as that. One with an Analogue stick that is, which is most anyway (your x-box controller included). The harder you push the stick the faster you go and vice-versa. End of the line is, controllers get dynamic speed, K&M gets 3

And sacrificing aiming is only a big deal if you actually play a character that needs to. Friend o'mine only plays big two-handed tanks or sneaky backstabbers and he uses a controller. To him melee combat flows much better with a controller, which is perfectly understandable. Heck anything that is not and Archer could apply to this.

I think it is but I think it just depends on what you're used to. 

I never played PC games ever for years, just console games all the time. Then when I bought Skyrim for the PS3, I liked it, but then I went online and saw all these mods and wanted to try that. Before Skyrim, I'd only ever Played Sims 2 and Sims 3 on PC. Now I play games mostly on PC and hardly ever on consoles.

But I'm so used to game controllers I find it really off-putting to use a keyboard - it totally ruins it for me. I eventually got used to Dragon Age with a keyboard and mouse, but I wasn't keen on it.

controllers get dynamic speed, K&M gets 3

There are 5 speeds with keyboard, as explained you can
  • crouch + shift
  • crouch
  • walk
  • run
  • sprint
But you know what, nevermind - just play the way you want, maybe some people even control the game with a touchpad or voice commands.

Not like you had to compete against human players in this game.

But I'm so used to game controllers I find it really off-putting to use a keyboard - it totally ruins it for me. I eventually got used to Dragon Age with a keyboard and mouse, but I wasn't keen on it.

The trick is to reverse the Y-Axis, then it feels intuitive like in real life:

if you look at the sky, you bend your neck BACKWARD

if you look down a cliff, you bend your neck FORWARD

Once you get the hang of it, you will sort of fuse with the game... aiming and character control improves by 9000% at minimum :)

The trick is to reverse the Y-Axis, then it feels intuitive like in real life:

if you look at the sky, you bend your neck BACKWARD

if you look down a cliff, you bend your neck FORWARD

Once you get the hang of it, you will sort of fuse with the game... aiming and character control improves by 9000% at minimum :)

Yup, that's what I do with my right analog stick (the stick sort of becomes analogous with your neck). I got used to this playing a LOT of online FPS games. I've been a big Halo fan for years. If you look at top level tournament players over 90% use an inverted right analog stick for looking and aiming. I still do the same with archery in Skyrim.

I play with the xbox controller and much prefer it. It's much smoother play, and as others have said, so much easier on the sneak toggle.

I used to play only on console and very used to the controller, yeah, so I don't even look or even think about it. But with Morrowind I play keyboard and mouse and can play that without thinking about it. The Morrowind Code Patch made it much eaiser with a toggle sneak and rapid spell cast- wish we had that in Skyrim- you don't even have to disarm yourself to prepare a spell to cast.

Aiming feels the same to me, either way, regardless. It's just the matter of what your coordination and hands are used to.

controllers get dynamic speed, K&M gets 3

There are 5 speeds with keyboard, as explained you can
  • crouch + shift
  • crouch
  • walk
  • run
  • sprint
But you know what, nevermind - just play the way you want, maybe some people even control the game with a touchpad or voice commands.

Not like you had to compete against human players in this game.

I give up. You've obviously never played Skyrim with a controller. Heck, I'm starting to believe you've never used one at all.

Anyhow, OP wanted to know if it was possible to play with a controller and he's had his answer a while ago : Yes. Whether one is superior or not is pointless to ask as it's solely centered on preferences.

So how does the analog movement speed works on a controller? walk, run and sprint are all done by how far the stick is move? is there actually a toggle?  is it completely analog so you can end up with something in between? Is sneak a toggle?

How about degree of movement? does controller offer 360 degree control with analog stick?

So how does the analog movement speed works on a controller? walk, run and sprint are all done by how far the stick is move? is there actually a toggle?  is it completely analog so you can end up with something in between? Is sneak a toggle?

How about degree of movement? does controller offer 360 degree control with analog stick?

Yes, the left analog stick controls walking/running speeds with how far the stick is moved. Barely move it and you move slower than you can using WASD. Way slower. And pushing it full forward is running with the W. It does make an improvement in sneaking since you can move so slowly and the game engine rewards you in that regard (you're harder to detect the slower you move).

Yes, sneak is toggle controlled by default. Click the stick and you're sneaking. Sprinting is also a button push.

By adjusting the sensitivity of the axes on the right analog stick you can make aiming a very, very precise endeavor.

I still don't get it :)

With a mouse, i can turn 180° and shoot a guy in the head standing on a balcony behind me, in something like 0.2 seconds.
Even with auto-aim in console games, this is never even remotely possible because the turning speed is always limited (which is not limited with a mouse). But auto-aim is only there because you can't hit anything fast and precise enough with a stick in the first place.

Now maybe there's no headshot in Skyrim, but target acquisition and overall aim (moving targets) is simply vastly superior with a mouse.
And the analogue movement speed control is a nice gimmick, but has no practical use because you always want to move as fast as possible; and if you sneak with shift+control you are silent enough to sneak in heavy armor in Requiem (and that says a lot).

Maybe for racing games or flight simulators the gamepad is better, but as the thread says "Is skyrim easier to play on pc with a ps3 controller?" - my answer is no.

Remember the question is not "what do you prefer?".

Dead zone, sensitivity, acceleration, and analog aiming is probably not something a game like Skyrim can or will "master" especially if the only thing that need this requirement is range combat.

There might be merit to a controller to it if we look at it as a third person action game.

I would however be skeptical if later TES does go down this route.