[3ds Max] [Skyrim] Video: Animation Tutorial

My HCT version is 2012 2.0.1 btw....also the errors i got during the HCT export window were the same you had in the video btw.

Your HCT is different than from the requirements. That you can't run hktcnv.exe from the command line may also be an issue.

My HCT version is 2012 2.0.1 btw....also the errors i got during the HCT export window were the same you had in the video btw.

Your HCT is different from the requirements. That you can't run hktcnv.exe from the command line may also be an issue.

Okay thats great, now I know what I need to address. Again, thank you so much for all of this you did here for us. No doubt, I will update after I get those two elements up to par with what you stated on the OP.

Regards

That you can't run hktcnv.exe from the command line may also be an issue.

Tho you can run hktcnv.exe from Open Command Window, I don't think you can run it as an elevated command(Run as Administrator). May or may not be an issue.

Okay, ty again. I am still struggling so to speak on my end. When I switched over to the version of Havok Content Tools you stated in your OP i was met with script errors upon starting up 3DS. I tried another 2011 version and the same happned, once I reverted to the version I had the issue stopped. All in all you may be right, its propably the issue i have with CMD.

Just note, in case it matters. My OS is Windows 8.1 Pro.

I have script errors when i open 3ds max as well (using 2011.3) doesn't seem to affect me at all, as i have gotten multiple animation into skyrim now... Female and creature.

I've tried removing the copy paste transformations_v_1 and PEN_Attribute_holder_2.06, but still get error so I just ignore it now.

Is this the errors you are getting, dj?

ogBIsJt.jpg

I have script errors when i open 3ds max as well (using 2011.3) doesn't seem to affect me at all, as i have gotten multiple animation into skyrim now... Female and creature.

I've tried removing the copy paste transformations_v_1 and PEN_Attribute_holder_2.06, but still get error so I just ignore it now.

ogBIsJt.jpg

Yes those were the ones I was getting. Aside from that, its really eating me up how i can make animations and then see them T Pose while the tutor here made one of mines work lol. If I could only DL his HDD lol.

ogBIsJt.jpg

Restart Max to a new empty scene. Then open the Maxscript Listener. This is a Havok script error that can be ignored.

post-8195-0-97200200-1439559239_thumb.jpg

Okay, ty again. I am still struggling so to speak on my end. When I switched over to the version of Havok Content Tools you stated in your OP i was met with script errors upon starting up 3DS. I tried another 2011 version and the same happned, once I reverted to the version I had the issue stopped. All in all you may be right, its propably the issue i have with CMD.

I recommend you try to actually export using the HCT version in the Requirements. However, if you find another HCT version that works, I'd love to know about it.

ogBIsJt.jpg

Restart Max to a new empty scene. Then open the Maxscript Listener. This is a Havok script error that can be ignored.

attachicon.gifhavok.JPG

I recommend you try to actually export using the HCT version in the Requirements. However, if you find another HCT version that works, I'd love to know about it.

I read your post about the script error being nothing to worry about. I'll be reverting back to HCT you use. I'm really determined to get this done, I have a mindful of static poses that need to be come to life. I'll be working on this today and hopefully fix the prob. Trust me, I follow every step to the T so its baffling that I am having these issues while exporting/converting. So close...

Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know if I get it resolved.

This is my Maxscript Listener, comparing to the one you posted it varies which makes me think the fact I did not install Havok Physics along with the Tools may be the issue.

Ignore. This was to show that it was a Havok script and not the other 3rd party scripts.

This is my Maxscript Listener, comparing to the one you posted it varies which makes me think the fact I did not install Havok Physics along with the Tools may be the issue.

Ignore. This was to show that it was a Havok script and not the other 3rd party scripts.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!! It was none of the above but yet something so miniscule as a button I had never clicked. In my defense I had not slept in days due to the business I run lol.

The verdict: Populate Bones Name List, the window above that button was empty. I took screens of your export process and went through it carefully and noticed that window for you had the names of all the bones in there. So I clicked the button and BINGO! The bones showed up in there for me as well,. it had to be that simply because it was the different thing I did this time around.

Thank you once more for the tutorial and help. You're the best!

Just want to let you guys to know, after few day reinstall 3dmax, havok and window, finally I figue out 3dmax havok content tools is not complatible with win10, when you try to open export menu, it will just stuck in loading. seems some script for havok tools is not good runing on win10 for max, I recommended if you still willing to try to modding with skyrim animations, do not update to win10..

Just want to let you guys to know, after few day reinstall 3dmax, havok and window, finally I figue out 3dmax havok content tools is not complatible with win10, when you try to open export menu, it will just stuck in loading. seems some script for havok tools is not good runing on win10 for max, I recommended if you still willing to try to modding with skyrim animations, do not update to win10..

It works for me. I am using windows 10, 3ds max 2012 64 bit, and havok tools 2011.3. It also worked for me when I used 3ds max 2010.

Is there an easy way to scale down skeletons in 3ds max without breaking everything? I've been trying to get certain creatures to play nicely but they are 2-3 times bigger in 3ds max than they are in the game. After selecting everything a scaling down using R, no matter what I animate they turn out all buggy in game. I get no errors in HCT.

Nvm, figured it out.

It works for me. I am using windows 10, 3ds max 2012 64 bit, and havok tools 2011.3. It also worked for me when I used 3ds max 2010.

Same. And actually, HCT used to take ages to load up, now it's done in seconds, don't know what fixed it but i'll take it.

Bottom line, it works on W10.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I make a non looping animation? I've tried getting rid of loop animations in HCTs configuration set before exporting but the file still loops. I overwrote Giant_Harassment_A(1 and 2)_S4.hkx, is it because that giant scene it forces whatever I overwrite with to loop or am I missing a step or two?

How do I make a non looping animation? I've tried getting rid of loop animations in HCTs configuration set before exporting but the file still loops. I overwrote Giant_Harassment_A(1 and 2)_S4.hkx, is it because that giant scene it forces whatever I overwrite with to loop or am I missing a step or two?

Sounds like a fnis setting that's telling it to loop. Does Giant_Harassment_A(1 and 2)_S4.hkx normally loop?

Sounds like a fnis setting that's telling it to loop. Does Giant_Harassment_A(1 and 2)_S4.hkx normally loop?

Yes, should I rerun FNIS with the overwritten files?

I'm making a fnis patch will test.

You'd need to switch the setting in the fnis animation list then run fnis for modders to create the new behavior file. Typically, the first and last scenes(S5 I guess) are non-looping if you're just testing animations.

You'd need to switch the setting in the fnis file then run fnis for modders. Typically, the first and last scenes(S5 I guess) are non-looping if you're just testing animations.

I won't think much more of it then if all I need to do is take out loop animations in HCT. I'm planning on making a completely new scene anyways I just wanted to test with files I already had.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

welp... got my 3ds max working and running... somehow managed to add everything needed so i think i have that... after first attempt to "animate" the guy on my screen resembled something close to a loch ness monster... since im rather tired and weak from starvation in my run to learn to animate... i just exited for now... i think i need to learn a few a bit more before i can finish my very first animation... 

btw... does this have something to do with me using meshes from SAM?

and whats with the controls... i cant move some things half of the time... and after doing something i can move things but only in certain direction... so i have a lochness monster that seems to be pushed backwards instead of "jumping" upwards...

so tired... so hungry... sleeep... zzzz.....

welp... got my 3ds max working and running... somehow managed to add everything needed so i think i have that... after first attempt to "animate" the guy on my screen resembled something close to a loch ness monster... since im rather tired and weak from starvation in my run to learn to animate... i just exited for now... i think i need to learn a few a bit more before i can finish my very first animation... 

btw... does this have something to do with me using meshes from SAM?

and whats with the controls... i cant move some things half of the time... and after doing something i can move things but only in certain direction... so i have a lochness monster that seems to be pushed backwards instead of "jumping" upwards...

so tired... so hungry... sleeep... zzzz.....

If this is your first time into animation, do not deviate from the video instructions. Use Dream Girl or Better Males mesh. Use the same controllers to make a similar animation. At this point you are only trying to establish a workflow that can successfully export a working animation in game.

SAM and SOS are not skinned to this particular skeleton hence loch ness monster. In the Afterwards section of the guide, look at:

'How to quickly reskin a custom body mesh for use with the Controller Rig.'

Alternatively, Leito may have a SOS rig that's properly skinned.

Without knowing specifics, the reason you can't move some things might be because those things can only be rotated. The rig has 2 animation systems called FK and IK. The systems can be blended but more often than not, using one system precludes the other. For FK/IK explanation, please thoroughly read Usage: F+M

Also try the guides from CEO 0S that go into details. Currently offline but should be back soon-ish?

f+m -_- the only reason i am bothering with this complicated thing is cause there are no m+m animations... and there are people that want them... but since animatiors here seem to be all straight oriented then i can understand why nobody is running to make m+m animations... i woulnt like making f+f animations either...