Downloading Mods Directly off of this Website instead of using mediafire, 115

UnlikelyH3ro

Should loverslab have a page for sharing, uploading and downloading mods (like skyrimnexus), instead of having to visit sites like mediafire, 4shared, 115, etc. for downloads?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Should loverslab have a page for sharing, uploading and downloading mods (like skyrimnexus), instead of having to visit sites like mediafire, 4shared, 115, etc. for downloads?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

[iMO]

I took a little deeper look into after everyone posted here on it. Guess it'll be an improvement over the existing tech.

This would have concerned me though and discouraged me from even considering it, along with the pay-to-play business model:

vBulletin on Wikipedia

vBulletin 4 release and controversy

On 4 July 2007, Jelsoft was acquired by Internet Brands.[22] On 27 January 2009, Ray Morgan was appointed General Manager of Jelsoft.[23] On 13 May 2009, the Administration section of vBulletin.com accidentally became accessible to the public for 13 minutes. Documents and discussions containing a detailed analysis of plans (and expected customer reaction) for vBulletin 4's new pricing scheme were revealed.[24] A response was posted by Ray Morgan indicating that these were preliminary discussions and that customers should not make decisions based on leaked documents.

On 19 June 2009, Kier Darby, lead developer of vBulletin since early in the development of version 2, left the company,[25] as well as Mike Sullivan, who joined in Fall 2000,[26] and Scott MacVicar.[27] Jeremy Hutchings moved to part time to maintain ImpEx the data migration system. Subsequently, in July 2009, Peterska2 (Kerry-Anne) and Ashley Busby also parted company with vBulletin.[28] After releasing 3.8.4,[29] Andy Huang also decided to leave the company. Jelsoft offices in the United Kingdom were closed shortly thereafter.

On 19 August 2009, Alpha testing of vBulletin begins with a selection of licensed customers under a Non-disclosure Agreement.[30] On 13 October 2009, Ray Morgan announced a new vBulletin.com website, new vBulletin licensing structure, and pricing, all of which were largely identical to the leaked May 2009 documents.[31] Replacing the annual renewal of $60, the new vBulletin Forum license was priced at $195, with the Suite costing $285. With an announced release cycle of 18–24 months for each point release, this was a cost increase of 200%. Customers with an inactive license were offered a small discount off the Suite and had less than 3 weeks to upgrade. Ironically, customers with the smallest investment in the product—Leased License customers—received the most cost-advantageous deal.

On 23 October 2009, The vBulletin.com website was upgraded to the vBulletin 4 software including a new splash page and FAQ. vBulletin.com was down for 28 hours during this upgrade. When the site returned, it remained sporadically inaccessible due to high loads for several days.[citation needed] On 12 November 2009, vBulletin 4.0 Beta 3 was made available to licensed customers. Previous betas were made available to alpha testers.[32] Beta 4, Beta 5, and two Release Candidates followed in quick succession.[citation needed]

On 22 December 2009, vBulletin 4.0 Gold was released to the public amid customer concerns that it met a predetermined release schedule rather than producing a stable product[33] Common customer complaints included substantial browser display issues, which affected Safari, Opera, and Internet Explorer 6, and a greatly increased number of MySQL queries in the default configuration as a result of the new Content Management System. On 12 January 2010, vBulletin 4.0.1 was released with over 200 bug fixes and style tweaks.[34] On 8 April 2010, vBulletin 4.0.3 was released with over 300 bug fixes as well as simple integration with Facebook Connect for single-signon between customer's boards and Facebook.[35] On 18 June 2010, vBulletin 4.0.4 is released with over 450 bug fixes. The release was made despite various "showstopper" bugs, many of which caused issues with the upgrade process. On 24 June 2010, vBulletin 4.0.4 "Patch Level 1" was released, but none of the previous showstopper bugs were fixed, except for two widget bugs according to official announcement.[36]

Controversy over Google AdSense integration through vBulletin.com

When installing vBulletin 4 and using the AdSense integration provided by vBulletin.com, users are agreeing to allow Internet Brands to access information about the performance of their ad units. Internet Brands will also be given a monetary referral credit if someone signs up for an AdSense account through a link on any vBulletin forum as opposed to the owner of the forum.[37]

The owner of the forum also agrees to potentially share revenue in the future, however this is unclear during the sign up process, and Internet Brands has yet to release a statement about how they will use the information gathered from linked AdSense accounts, leading to potential privacy issues and a competitive advantage for future Internet Brands–owned websites. While the percentage of revenue sharing is currently set to 0%, vBulletin Technical Support Lead, Wayne Luke, has stated it could be subject to change in the future.[38] However, as per Google's AdSense rules, all users must explicitly agree to this and will be given at least 30 days notice.[37]

Not my site, so not my concern. And anything has to be better than the current search NOT engine...

I see social tags and tag cloud are included, that's a definite plus

Not much info on their security approach...

Like so many other web apps uses templates so design customizations shouldn't be all that difficult. There's no doubt untapped talent amongst the LL membership...

Doesn't exactly seem to be mainstream though...

You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to use any web app tech marked as proprietary.

[/iMO]

sorry. really not meaning to question the running of the site.

no doubt ec2 is good stuff..its just that i'm not completely sure whats the bill at the end of the month...

at the office we like linode and http://www.infinitelyvirtual.com/ and personally i have small instances at http://www.edis.at/en/home/ and http://buyvm.net/..i'm el cheapo, yes.

recently i looked at dedicated ones as well..and was pleasantly surprised...

by http://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml and https://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex10 especially..although they're at the 2 extreme ends of specs...

I've used and loved linode for years, the site has been running on linode since the start, and I just moved it to a new fresh linode instance last night where it will likely be staying.

Originally the plan was to host the site on EC2 then mirror out the site attachments to linode in order to ease the bandwidth costs on Amazon. I decided against EC2 after the initial failed launch of the new site, the site just won't run efficiently on a m1.small instance, the CPU was maxed almost instantly. And moving up to beefier CPU on EC2 is just to costly when you also start adding in bandwidth charges at the end of the month.

Now it's just strictly linode. Cheaper and better hardware for the price. I'll be honest, I was mostly just looking for an excuse to learn how to use the AWS platform, and now that I've done that I see no pressing reason to move off linode.

Archived