lol........

Yup welcome to the anti-GG philosophy of, "if you're not with us, you're against us."  We've seen over the course of 2 months that D-Pakman has been trying to keep a neutral stance in all this.  As we see though if you're not quoting the party line you're considered a potential threat.

The hypocrisy is nauseating  :dodgy:

I think there are a lot of companies around the world that'd be fine with America not being allowed to have sexy anything in games.

I played this MMO called Tera for while.

A good half of our guild were women.  Our guild rocked all good players probably the best and not stuck up either.  We actually laughed it up and made our own challenges.  Tanks masquerading as DPS, Dps roling tank.  We even had a dps healer.  Still downed content and stomped on other players in PVP.  Heck some of these ladies were real good players probably the best on the servor, cute in real life, and could actually you know talk it up and laugh it up.  Was seriously a lot of fun.

The issue discussed here just doesn't match up with the real experience its like maybe if it all come up 10 years ago they might have had a point but today it just feels so dated. 

But yes, lets just assume that the SJWs did it.

I'm glad you agree.

Umm...no.  I don't agree, because for me to agree, I would have to assume things that I have no good evidence for.

I posited two possible alternative explanations for why they might have dropped a shitty yet provocative ad campaign besides "SJWs", either of which are at least as plausible as yours.

A fourth possibility is a fusion of your hypothesis of SJWs causing it and my second hypothesis of them intentionally trying to provoke said SJWs into talking about it so they can pull the ad because then the gamergaters will talk about the ad being pulled by the evil SJWs, and given that the gaters are more entrenched in the game community, their reactions to perceived SJWs would be more effective as advertising...you know, that actually resembles what actually happened.

My SJW comment was a literary device.  Reading the tone of the article says a lot about the writer's intent and it alluded to possible backlash on youtube.  Doing the math, it isn't hard to get from Point A (a stupid add with a hot girl) to Point B (it gets pulled from youtube).  As I doubt the loathsome teenaged boys SWJs hate complained about the add, a reasonable conclusion would be man-hating, douche bag, femnazi, SWJs did what they do best; their cunts gaped opened, they invented a controversy and they started bitching about something they didn't agree with.

Not that I really care what a pack of fat,ugly women or token hot chicks with a neurotic need to fight for an internet cause agree or disagree with.  As far as your fourth option hypothesis goes; add companies are not that clever, or at least the one that produced a wank add for a product no one will buy.

The only argument I have heard about it is the feminist side of the argument - that it's a problem of male harassing, bullying, and threatening female gamers for simply asking for the industry to recognize that many gamers are female and to stop alienating female players. 

Can anyone provide me with some trustworthy literature on the topic that gives a good in-depth description of the issue?
Unbiased scientific or academic literature is a bonus, but if you have to go for blogs and media, please avoid conservative blogs, pseudofeminist tumblr pages, anti-feminist sites, and other pages that will inevitably suffer from confirmation bias.

I hate it when people are vocal and passionate about issues they know nothing about and I'm not about to start being one of those people. I want to educate myself so I don't end up on the idiot side of the argument.

I hate it when people are vocal and passionate about issues they know nothing about and I'm not about to start being one of those people. I want to educate myself so I don't end up on the idiot side of the argument.

You probably shouldn't concern yourself with it then.  A few months ago there might have been some rhyme and reason to it, but now it's just fringe-dwellers flinging dung from one side to the other.

Before I started following this thread I did some reading and EVERYTHING was biased from one side or another.  There wasn't a sane middle ground that I could find.  Everything I found was tumblr/twitter/facebook/youtube fodder.  The few 'legitimate' articles I found were on rags like the Huffington Post or Vox and they were just rehashes of the radical feminist points of view.

The only argument I have heard about it is the feminist side of the argument - that it's a problem of male harassing, bullying, and threatening female gamers for simply asking for the industry to recognize that many gamers are female and to stop alienating female players. 

Can anyone provide me with some trustworthy literature on the topic that gives a good in-depth description of the issue?

Unbiased scientific or academic literature is a bonus, but if you have to go for blogs and media, please avoid conservative blogs, pseudofeminist tumblr pages, anti-feminist sites, and other pages that will inevitably suffer from confirmation bias.

This is the most unbiased article I've found about GamerGate: http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/12/gamergate-part-i-sex-lies-and-gender-gam

My SJW comment was a literary device.  Reading the tone of the article says a lot about the writer's intent and it alluded to possible backlash on youtube.  Doing the math, it isn't hard to get from Point A (a stupid add with a hot girl) to Point B (it gets pulled from youtube).  As I doubt the loathsome teenaged boys SWJs hate complained about the add, a reasonable conclusion would be man-hating, douche bag, femnazi, SWJs did what they do best; their cunts gaped opened, they invented a controversy and they started bitching about something they didn't agree with.

Not that I really care what a pack of fat,ugly women or token hot chicks with a neurotic need to fight for an internet cause agree or disagree with.  As far as your fourth option hypothesis goes; add companies are not that clever, or at least the one that produced a wank add for a product no one will buy.

Ah, I was waiting for you to go for straight up misogynist insults.  I knew you were going there, there's only so long you can keep a mask on.

And yes, ad companies are that clever, their business is manipulating the opinion of people and it got you to talk about the ad, I never would have heard of if you hadn't brought it up.

Ah, I was waiting for you to go for straight up misogynist insults.  I knew you were going there, there's only so long you can keep a mask on.

And yes, ad companies are that clever, their business is manipulating the opinion of people and it got you to talk about the ad, I never would have heard of if you hadn't brought it up.

Such as these?

Cleary not a manipulation!

This is the most unbiased article I've found about GamerGate: http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/12/gamergate-part-i-sex-lies-and-gender-gam

The best, BEST defense I've seen of GamerGate is from TotalBiscuit, and even that is so full of errors and misinformation, if not outright lies that a correction of it took twice as long as the original article.

The reason article is...well, hilariously inaccurate (I am, of course, unsurprised).  As one example, attempts to portray the "gamers are over" article as an attack on gamers is so absurd that I must assume that the author intentionally misrepresented it.

"gamer" often has a negative connotation among non-gamers, thinking of us as unemployed and unemployable entitled obsessive prats living in their parent's basement.  The "gamers are over" was pointing out that stereotype is done and over with...but then the gamergaters went off on that article without reading anything more than the headline and acted like entitled obsessive prats.  Good job gamergaters, you have lived up to the non-gamers WORST stereotypes of gamers (like myself, thus making me look bad).

Guest corespore

The best, BEST defense I've seen of GamerGate is from TotalBiscuit, and even that is so full of errors and misinformation, if not outright lies that a correction of it took twice as long as the original article.

The reason article is...well, hilariously inaccurate (I am, of course, unsurprised).  As one example, attempts to portray the "gamers are over" article as an attack on gamers is so absurd that I must assume that the author intentionally misrepresented it.

"gamer" often has a negative connotation among non-gamers, thinking of us as unemployed and unemployable entitled obsessive prats living in their parent's basement.  The "gamers are over" was pointing out that stereotype is done and over with...but then the gamergaters went off on that article without reading anything more than the headline and acted like entitled obsessive prats.  Good job gamergaters, you have lived up to the non-gamers WORST stereotypes of gamers (like myself, thus making me look bad).

Don't blame other gamers for your shitty attitude, your doing a perfectly good job making yourself look bad. 

Such as these?

Cleary not a manipulation!

Actually, yes, it was...and criticism of the racial makeup of the final video is valid, but yet, the point of the video is still valid (I actually didn't notice that until one of my friends pointed it out, then yeah, it was obvious).

A few of those, yeah, random "hellos", I wouldn't be too worried about...but then, they weren't "random", they don't say hello to everyone do they, especially not people with a serious look and in a bit of a hurry?

When some asshole says "He-ey beautiful", acting very creepily familiar to someone he's never met, and then that fucker gets offended because she doesn't say thank you?  I don't mind people saying hi...but if I'm in a hurry, I'm not going to take time to acknowledge everyone that says hi, and I may have other things to think about...don't get pissed at me because I don't pay you the attention you think you deserve.

And some of those reactions were, actually quite creepy.  The guy that keep bugging her, the guy that just walked along silently...geez.

About eight years ago I watched two men think they were being sexy and playful by hitting a woman that I knew in the ass with a plastic ruler, they'd never met her before...but since they never spoke to her before, they didn't know she had some medical problems (I believe it was something to do with nerves).  After I grabbed the ruler and broke it, they explained their alcohol-fueled thought process, they thought it was OK because "Hey, she can shake it like everyone else here" (paraphrasing).

No, you're not allowed to hit random strangers, not even with stupid plastic rulers, please stop making XY chromosomes like mine look like an evolutionary mistake.  Yes, alcohol didn't help their thought process, but it's a thought process that shouldn't have been present in grown men in the first place.

Yeah, I'm a misogynist.  I HATE women.  :lol:  You don't even know what the word means.  It's just a hot button for you to use, like a bigot hurling racial slurs.  I'm going to tell you just like I would tell any man, YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT.  We know it and you know it too.

You just described the on-line feminist agenda.  And GamerGate doesn't need a 'defense'.

To everyone else:

And here we have it.  The thing we've all been dreading.  Some silly little SWJ gets to run in here and beat the war drums.  \o/ YEA! \o/

Actually, yes, it was...and criticism of the racial makeup of the final video is valid, but yet, the point of the video is still valid (I actually didn't notice that until one of my friends pointed it out, then yeah, it was obvious).

A few of those, yeah, random "hellos", I wouldn't be too worried about...but then, they weren't "random", they don't say hello to everyone do they, especially not people with a serious look and in a bit of a hurry?

When some asshole says "He-ey beautiful", acting very creepily familiar to someone he's never met, and then that fucker gets offended because she doesn't say thank you?  I don't mind people saying hi...but if I'm in a hurry, I'm not going to take time to acknowledge everyone that says hi, and I may have other things to think about...don't get pissed at me because I don't pay you the attention you think you deserve.

And some of those reactions were, actually quite creepy.  The guy that keep bugging her, the guy that just walked along silently...geez.

About eight years ago I watched two men think they were being sexy and playful by hitting a woman that I knew in the ass with a plastic ruler, they'd never met her before...but since they never spoke to her before, they didn't know she had some medical problems (I believe it was something to do with nerves).  After I grabbed the ruler and broke it, they explained their alcohol-fueled thought process, they thought it was OK because "Hey, she can shake it like everyone else here" (paraphrasing).

No, you're not allowed to hit random strangers, not even with stupid plastic rulers, please stop making XY chromosomes like mine look like an evolutionary mistake.  Yes, alcohol didn't help their thought process, but it's a thought process that shouldn't have been present in grown men in the first place.

It's not only that, most of the video was recorded in the same area. It was not 'we just record and walk around'. Obviously, there was a lot more planning involved than just that: https://medium.com/message/that-catcalling-video-and-why-research-methods-is-such-an-exciting-topic-really-32223ac9c9e8

1*GJm9GrXVXf6HrVZMWMqg7w.jpeg

This is what the video was about - find the neighborhood where the action is and stay there to make it appear it's like that everywhere.

Some people need to stop acting like pussies and suck it up.

Oh yes please, we absolutely need more people running around in the internet telling people how tough they are. You're funny.

Yeah, I'm a misogynist.  I HATE women.  :lol:  You don't even know what the word means.  It's just a hot button for you use, like a bigot hurling racial slurs.  I'm going to tell you just like I would tell any man, YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT.  We know it and you know it too.

You just described the on-line feminist agenda.  And GamerGate doesn't need a 'defense'.

To everyone else:

And here we have it.  The thing we've all been dreading.  Some silly little SWJ gets to run in here and beat the war drums.  \o/ YEA! \o/

Oh wow...someone who thinks a post that says:

As I doubt the loathsome teenaged boys SWJs hate complained about the add, a reasonable conclusion would be man-hating, douche bag, femnazi, SWJs did what they do best; their cunts gaped opened, they invented a controversy and they started bitching about something they didn't agree with.

Not that I really care what a pack of fat,ugly women or token hot chicks with a neurotic need to fight for an internet cause agree or disagree with.

isn't absolutely drenched in misgyny, you may need to invest in a dictionary.

And yes, gamergate should mount a defense, because people like you are its public image.

I get to see women run out of an industry for pointing out sexism...using organized campaigns built around sexism.  Yes, gamergate will point to some women in the industry as proof they aren't against women, but I don't recall those women pointing out sexism...gamergaters are fine with you being whatever, as long as you are what they permit you to be.

If you are a transgender gamergater for example, gamergate will celebrate you until you point out that their new buddy, a "journalist" hates transgender people (and, oddly, gamers) and that maybe GG should avoid him, GG will turn like piranhas.

But here's the best explanation of gamergate that I've found from a gamergater, but read the bolded comments from the anti-GG side: Everything TotalBiscuit Got Wrong

Jesus H. Christ.  You're an idiot.  Just because I hate SJWs doesn't mean I hate women.  That's why you don't know the goddamned definition of what a misogynist is.  In your world, if SJWs were African American then that would make me a racist.  If they were Jewish I'd be antisemitic, and so on.  If you don't see the obvious flaw in your 'logic' then there's no hope for you.  But then again, you don't need reality; you have an agenda.

And I'm NOT the public face of anything.  I'm not a member of gamergate and I couldn't care less about them or their enemies.

And I'm DONE with your stupid ass.  Find someone else to beat over the head with your SJW bullshit.  I ain't interested.

Archived