Request>Great Axe/Warhammer/Polearm DA2 melee animation replacer

kamikaze00007

I'd like to make a request for the talented animators/modders here in LL in making an animation replacer for the pole-arm category. Now, I know there are already spear stabbing animations out there somewhere and that great axe animations are heavily linked with greatsword animations. What I'm asking for are attack animations similar to Dragon Age 2's mage normal attack combo that wields the staff similarly to a double-sword or a double-saber, meaning swords on both ends of a slightly long handle. You can watch what I'm talking about here in this video, the staff action starts at around 1:00 into the video.

I've tried making a picture sample of a concept using stick figures but sadly, I'm more than ashamed to show the failures to other people and thus have trashed them. Sorry about that. I think large axes and pole-arms around can be wielded to a much more methodical way and not simply smacking others with the whole ax-head including the shaft itself similar to how Abraham Lincoln uses his ax in said Vampire Hunter movie.

I know that the large weapons in Skyrim rely on the fact that they almost share handles/gripping ways with Greatswords. Affecting one would also affect the other to an extent (of the files overwritten). Thus, I've gotten the idea of basing the concept off double-swords.

In the video on the link, you can see the character strike with the staff (actually the action fires projectiles from it but it's the same animation even in melee range), but the way the weapon is wielded acts more like both ends are blades/blunt weapons while behaving as if there's a handle area on the middle section. Translating this idea into concept, think of swinging a double-bladed sword the length of a long staff and using both ends to slice at your opponents in a similar manner.

Now imagine that it was actually a dwemer greatsword or a great ax you were swinging that way, pretty plausible right? As a previous practitioner of martial arts and swordsmanship (my grandfather's brother was a karate instructor and taught me when I was young before he passed away, I also once studied Arnis Balite and some non-Asian swordsmanship which revolved around greatswords and longswords), I can tell by experience that most swings don't deviate much from having the other end of a long pole or "bo" avoid hitting your own self (applies to non-pole-arms) during an attack. My instructor once said that it was also the reason why they were teaching us to master one-handed wielding styles first before moving onto the long pole-army stuff.

The weight of the heavy ax/hammer head would contribute to centrifugal force via the spinning attack motions which would be a matter of balance in the case of a reaper's scythe or a halberd with its long shaft protruding past the bottom of your hand. No longer are you suffering hand pains and blisters from using a heavy weapon like a Cro-magnon instead of utilizing its weight and your maneuverability as a pivot instead!

IMO this would open up the attack animations for greatswords, great axes, warhammers, long spears, and quarterstaves with the added bonus of being able to now wield double-swords should mods for them be made.

Sorry if this thread is a nuisance, but I just thought of throwing my idea out here to the talented people who can make it possible after watching spear animation videos for Skyrim and realizing they were actually just using short spears that didn't clip into the body in place of a great ax.

So, a whole new fighting style for the staff? It would be nice. I doubt it will happen if it hasn't already. but it would be nice.

I avoid staffs altogether because I could get better results by simply casting spells. Staffs feel too constrictive. Always having to switch spells in the menu for your left hand, instead of having a spell in each hand can make a fight feel needlessly long.

Plus a staff is pretty much obsolete at close range, so you have to keep switching to a weapon eventually anyway, unless your opponent is a mage, in which case you'll probably have a much better chance of survival if you rush in with a weapon anyway, since most mages are OP in the game, and usually kill your PC in just a couple spells.

+1 from the Archdemon. ;)

So, a whole new fighting style for the staff? It would be nice. I doubt it will happen if it hasn't already. but it would be nice.

I avoid staffs altogether because I could get better results by simply casting spells. Staffs feel too constrictive. Always having to switch spells in the menu for your left hand, instead of having a spell in each hand can make a fight feel needlessly long.

Plus a staff is pretty much obsolete at close range, so you have to keep switching to a weapon eventually anyway, unless your opponent is a mage, in which case you'll probably have a much better chance of survival if you rush in with a weapon anyway, since most mages are OP in the game, and usually kill your PC in just a couple spells.

+1 from the Archdemon. ;)

No, not a new fighting style for the staff. I'm saying that it can be a good overhaul for the shared two-handed fighting animations that mods try to circumvent to introduce polearms like spears and quarterstaves into the game while in truth they're just battleaxes that look like such. As the game's staff-casting system is pretty much like pointing a spell and shooting, there's pretty much no need to swing stuff around. What I'm talking about here is about stuff like scythes, martial arts staves (i.e. Goku's stretching stick) and other polearms that are currently introduced by weapon mods, but are stunted by being classified as axes (if you change the animations into spear-intended ones, you get axes being used for poking stuff.).

To clarify, the idea of using a long stick like the one on the video as something similar to a double-sword would be the best replacer even if it would affect battleaxes, hammers, and greatswords. If you've played Soul Calibur, Siegfried pretty much swings his massive greatsword in a spinning/flowing way similarly in some of his moves.

I love how you just went and named all my favorite games like that. :P So are you saying you'd like the anim ported, or a new anim kinda like it? I've never heard of anyone porting anims fro DA games. I've heard it requested more than once though.

As a request probably something made similar to it. If porting is easier then by all the means. I'm merely putting out my idea as I think there are a lot of talented modders in this site. I think people have been porting stuff between DA and Skyrim though so I don't really know if animations would be possible.  ;)

It's a nice coincidence seeing as they're my favorite games as well. Sadly, Soul Calibur could use a sandbox-style spin-off set in the game's world while DA2 could've used more open-world sandbox like Skyrim has.  :D

Archived